WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
SF37 Films Official Reaction thread (Read 117040 times)
Reply #90 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 8:55pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 7:30pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 7:03pm:
kirok wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 6:13pm:
[quote author=4C677F556367706374060 link=1325897042/84#84 date=1327704666]ENDHIRAN is a lot of movie, though - three hours quote]
did you say THREE HOURS Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yup, THREE HOURS! Read it and weep, buddy boy! And, to think of all those years where it was said it would be impossible to show the full Russian version of SOLARIS.......

Big difference bewtween those two movies.  Solaris is SLLOOOOWWWWWW.  It's a great film but three hours seem more like 6 with Solaris.....

Ah yes, but the musical numbers in Solaris were not nearly as much fun as a typical Bollywood picture.
Yes if this is a Bollywood pictures let's expect LOTS of weird musical numbers. Cheesy

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #91 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 7:34am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i expect i vill speak in a hindu accent for 2 veeks ahfter dee marathon.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #92 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 1:14pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Ah, yes, the 'head' scene!  Shocked

I've located a print of THEY CAME FROM WITHIN - Can u say Cronenberg for FOUR YEARS IN A ROW!  Wink

G.I. Joe wrote on Jan 28th, 2012 at 2:43pm:
Whoa! 13 movies!! must be a complete list, no?

Seems pretty good over all. not thrilled with everything. too much blck and white. I like the old stuff,b ut three in one lineup? And Cronenberg again? another three - three years in a row of old school Cronenberg - and still no They Came From Within! and talkin' of threes - a 3 hour indian movie? WTF?!!

War of the Satellites is a find, but too bad there aren't any real 50s or 60s classics. Back to back Corman though. And back to back Battlestar Galactica to boot. oh well. I guess Garen just thinks everyboyd wants to see the same stuff over and over

Pumped for Brainstorm! Really liked Apes and Paul is fun. Dimensions sounds like a good time travel movie. Attack should be good. Anime - eh, meal break. ReAnimator is good and nasty - can't wait to see the "head" scene on the big screen again!  Smiley

3 more weeks to go!

IP Logged

Reply #93 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 1:23pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Four years in a row is fine with me.  They Came From Within is long overdue for an return.  Then get exXstenZ and Dead Zone.   Hard to believe that there was such a visceral reaction to Shivers back in the day.  I mean it's disturbing but to see all those wimps........ er..... marathoids walk out of a movie and spoil it for us in Cinema 2 was low.  Censorship in the People's Republic.  Hard to believe.  Also, a Corman every year is fine with me.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #94 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 2:23pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 2:15pm:
Frank wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 1:23pm:
Four years in a row is fine with me.  They Came From Within is long overdue for an return.  Then get exXstenZ and Dead Zone.

I have a better idea: lets ban that useless dingbat's movies from the marathon for, say, seventy years.
     Then I'll never have to see any of them ever again.  Yeah!   Grin
     And The Dead Zone is turgid, slow, boring, & awful.  Dump it in the toilet.

Nope I say run every year.  Dead Zone is none of those things.  What would you like to run?  If t's anything like that list from last year....... hoo boy.....

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #95 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 3:05pm

Metaluna   Offline

kirok wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 7:34am:

I think we should all go up the street and get Indian take-out just before the movie (there's two places, space yourselves out). Instant Smell-O-Vision!

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #96 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 3:13pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Metaluna wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 3:05pm:
kirok wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 7:34am:

I think we should all go up the street and get Indian take-out just before the movie (there's two places, space yourselves out). Instant Smell-O-Vision!

Hmmmm.... I can do without that especially if it plays early in the morning....  Feel free to wear saris and veshtis and dance with the performers tho....

IP Logged

Reply #97 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 8:02pm

Joe Neff   Offline

As some of you might know, ENDHIRAN made its SF Marathon bow at the Columbus 'thon last May (on the Saturday that the world was predicted to end!)  I was fairly skeptical of its potential success, for all of the reasons that you guys have mentioned.  But I was pleasantly surprised to see it become, quite possibly, the hit of the event.  It's all sorts of bonkers, but it also keeps building on that sense of nuttiness, especially in its delirious climactic battle(s).  I wouldn't mind seeing it again with a mostly unsuspecting audience.

IP Logged

Reply #98 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 8:30pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Joe Neff wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 8:02pm:
As some of you might know, ENDHIRAN made its SF Marathon bow at the Columbus 'thon last May (on the Saturday that the world was predicted to end!)  I was fairly skeptical of its potential success, for all of the reasons that you guys have mentioned.  But I was pleasantly surprised to see it become, quite possibly, the hit of the event.  It's all sorts of bonkers, but it also keeps building on that sense of nuttiness, especially in its delirious climactic battle(s).  I wouldn't mind seeing it again with a mostly unsuspecting audience.

Please note, I am not one of the skeptics.... I think that it will be a gas.  Of course, the only fly in the ointment is where it falls in the line-up.  I will leave that to LA and Garen.

IP Logged

Reply #99 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 10:06pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Joe Neff:
was skeptical...But I was pleasantly surprised to see it (Endhiran) become, quite possibly, the hit of the event.

Hit of the event? Well then...

Why not go all out and invite some Endhiran Impersonators to er, uh, drop in!

... Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #100 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 10:41pm

Metaluna   Offline

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #101 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 10:47pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Metaluna wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 10:41pm:
[img][img]

That's much better.  The shock of white was taking away the Elvis look.

IP Logged

Reply #102 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:58pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:16pm:
Note: Combined 4 consecutive comments in a row into a single post to tidy things up. - admin

Thanks, but no thanks!

Admin perogative. Makes the thread easier to wade thru when there aren't several consecutive posts by same poster - admin

The Four Original Posts by David The Projectionist:

kirok wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:39pm:
i think zonad was played second to last in 2011. then play paul.

Zonad was the final film played last year.  Take my word for it.

G.I. Joe wrote on Jan 28th, 2012 at 2:43pm:
Seems pretty good over all. not thrilled with everything. too much black and white.

There can never be enough black & white.   Angry

Quote:
And Cronenberg again? another three - three years in a row of old school Cronenberg

Certainly, I'd be happy if we never ran any more of his turgid, crappy movies, but that almost guarantees we will.   Undecided

Quote:
and still no They Came From Within!

And that one sucks as badly as the others....   Tongue

Quote:
Pumped for Brainstorm!

Prepare yourself for a big disappointment.   Cry

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 1:14pm:
I've located a print of THEY CAME FROM WITHIN - Can u say Cronenberg for FOUR YEARS IN A ROW!

Well, keep it the fock away from me!
     This is just my luck: I have to keep running awful, crummy movies from a director whose work I utterly detest.
     Once again, to head Kirok off, puts me in the minority...

Frank wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 1:23pm:
Four years in a row is fine with me.  They Came From Within is long overdue for an return.  Then get exXstenZ and Dead Zone.

I have a better idea: lets ban that useless dingbat's movies from the marathon for, say, seventy years.
     Then I'll never have to see any of them ever again.  Yeah!   Grin
     And The Dead Zone is turgid, slow, boring, & awful.  Dump it in the toilet.

IP Logged

Reply #103 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 12:34pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

As posted on the main board, here is the Festival Schedule:

IP Logged

Reply #104 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 9:21pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I can't make it out for the full week.

ANYbody out there planning on attending some or all of the Festival itself??

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10