WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
SF37 Films Official Reaction thread (Read 116635 times)
Reply #105 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 6:07am

Stuart   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

To quote Frank: "An embarrassment of riches"

IP Logged

Reply #106 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 12:30pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Stuart wrote on Feb 2nd, 2012 at 6:07am:
To quote Frank: "An embarrassment of riches"

We shouldn't be 'embarrassed'!

What is your Most want to see film? Least?

My off the top of my head picks:

Most - BRAINSTORM - haven't seen it since the early 80s. Loved it then, I sure hope the naysayers here are wrong....

Least - ATTACK THE BLOCK - Saw it with a great crowd already - not to mention an introduction with the Director and Producer Edgar Wright. It's decent dumb fun, but, don't need to see it a 2nd time

IP Logged

Reply #107 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 1:10pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
What is your Most want to see film? Least?

Hmmmm..., Most might be "Dimensions" as I saw the trailer at the megaplex and was interested then. Little did I know I'd see a real premier. It may also be "The Robot Endihran" given the chances that it won't be making my DirectTV package anytime soon.

Least is "Bambi vs. Godzilla", although I remember liking it the first time I saw it at a late night college show in the 80's. Despite the tight editing and good score, this animated favorite dosen't hold up well for second viewing. They never really build suspense or develop characters in the way that earlier and later animated features accomplish.

It is mrs. F's first time seeing this title and her reaction may be more positive.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #108 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 2:49pm

Stuart   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Most: Enhidron.  The trailer looks great.  I'm getting quivers of anticipatory joy just thinking about it.

Least: Planet of the Apes. Saw it in the theater and saw it again at home a couple of weeks ago.  Really good update of the series and cleanses my palate of the Tim Burton dreck, but I'm not ready to see it a 3rd time in less than a year.

IP Logged

Reply #109 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 9:36pm

Metaluna   Offline

R_F_Fineman wrote on Feb 3rd, 2012 at 1:10pm:
Least is "Bambi vs. Godzilla", although I remember liking it the first time I saw it at a late night college show in the 80's. Despite the tight editing and good score, this animated favorite dosen't hold up well for second viewing. They never really build suspense or develop characters in the way that earlier and later animated features accomplish.

Oh, I was spellbound from the opening credits right through to the very end.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #110 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 10:19pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

From Boston sci-fi festival facebook

"The director of WAR OF THE WORLDS: GOLIATH just sent us a 4 minute promo reel to unveil at the fest. He's now working on getting us a production reel. He'll let us know in a couple of days."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXgiTlKhKM8&feature=youtu.be

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #111 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 11:34pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Metaluna wrote on Feb 3rd, 2012 at 9:36pm:
R_F_Fineman wrote on Feb 3rd, 2012 at 1:10pm:

Oh, I was spellbound from the opening credits right through to the very end.

Great News!  At long last they have discovered the 3.25 seconds of the fabled missing footage from Bambi/Godzilla.  The missing footage has been added to the film and the whole shebang has been painstakingly restored.  The new version significantly changes the storyline and more fully develops the character's back story.  The restored ending will simply blow you away.  Let me just say that it involves Flower and Mothra.  It is not to be missed. 

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #112 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 9:51am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i've seen it with directors commentary, animators commentary and the blooper reel (which is hilarious). the director points out much of the symbolism that i had completely missed.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #113 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 5:14pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Six I've never seen, another three that I haven't seen in so long that it will be almost like the first time and four that I really love and will watch again many times.
All in all in looks to be a banner 'Thon.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #114 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 5:20pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Caleb451 wrote on Feb 5th, 2012 at 5:14pm:
Six I've never seen, another three that I haven't seen in so long that it will be almost like the first time and four that I really love and will watch again many times.

That is what usually sells it for me.....

WAR OF THE SATELLITES..... never saw it on the big screen
ATTACK THE BLOCK...... have not seen
FRANKENSTEIN (1931).....saw it recently on the big screen
ISLAND OF LOST SOULS... not since the Welles
RE-ANIMATOR....... not since it played over 2o years ago
COWBOY BEBOP.......... not on the big screen or in 10 years
BRAINSTORM (1983).......... not since it came out
MISSION GALACTICA: CYLON ATTACK (1982)... not seen
PAUL (2011)... have not seen it
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES....saw it
DIMENSIONS.......... have not seen it.
SCANNERS............. not on the bg screen since it was released and about 10 years otherwise.
ENDHIRAN.... not seen it.

So probably the least movie that I want to see is Frankenstein since I saw it at the Somerville at Halloween.  That's a pretty good line-up....

IP Logged

Reply #115 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 5:49pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Frank wrote on Feb 5th, 2012 at 5:20pm:
Caleb451 wrote on Feb 5th, 2012 at 5:14pm:

That is what usually sells it for me.....

WAR OF THE SATELLITES..... never saw it on the big screen
ATTACK THE BLOCK...... have not seen
FRANKENSTEIN (1931).....saw it recently on the big screen
ISLAND OF LOST SOULS... not since the Welles
RE-ANIMATOR....... not since it played over 2o years ago
COWBOY BEBOP.......... not on the big screen or in 10 years
BRAINSTORM (1983).......... not since it came out
MISSION GALACTICA: CYLON ATTACK (1982)... not seen
PAUL (2011)... have not seen it
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES....saw it
DIMENSIONS.......... have not seen it.
SCANNERS............. not on the bg screen since it was released and about 10 years otherwise.
ENDHIRAN.... not seen it.

So probably the least movie that I want to see is Frankenstein since I saw it at the Somerville at Halloween.  That's a pretty good line-up....

When Frankenstein is the low point, you know the bar has been set pretty damn high.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #116 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 10:07pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Okay, I'm gonna take a shot at the complete schedule
Six unseen films, has to be a record for a thon, at least since the video era.

WAR OF THE SATELLITES..... I've never seen it, its bound to be a little creaky. But it stars Dick Miller and Corman managed to throw it together withinh 8 weeks of Sputnik being launched. Now that's exploitation!
ATTACK THE BLOCK...... Another I've not seen, I was expecting this to be a summer cult film but it came & went to theaters almost within a week. Looking forward to it with the thon crowd.
FRANKENSTEIN (1931)..... Never seen it on a big screen and have not seen it in years. If nothing else it'll make me get even more jokes next time I watch Young Frankenstein.
ISLAND OF LOST SOULS... I have not seen it since it's Welles showing. A really great pre-code horror film. WAY over the top in acting. Can't wait to see it again.
RE-ANIMATOR....... Bound to be fun with the marathoid crowd. Haven't seen it since the original release.
COWBOY BEBOP.......... Have not seen it, hopefully it'll run around dinner time.
BRAINSTORM (1983).......... Saw it when it came out and also during it's first  marathon showing. A little corny but still a good 80s sci-fi science film.
MISSION GALACTICA: CYLON ATTACK (1982)... Technically I have not seen the film but I have seen the eps it was taken from. Might be interesting to see how it's put together.
PAUL (2011)... Saw it in theaters and liked it a lot. Looking forward to seeing it again with the marathoids.
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES....Liked it in the theater, but for some reason would not mind missing it here.
DIMENSIONS.......... I've not seen it, not sure about how I feel about seeing it. A lot of the indie films we've gotten in the past have turned out to be interesting.
SCANNERS............. Have not seen it since it's original release. Really curious how it'll stand up.
ENDHIRAN.... Haven't seen it but have wanted to since the trailer became hot online last year.

So for me looks like Endhiran is my must see and Cowboy Bebop my likely miss.

And as to Bambi Meets Godzilla, I'll watch the restored version, but I REFUSE to pay to see it when it's re-released in 3D next year.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #117 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 11:48pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 at 10:07pm:
FRANKENSTEIN (1931)..... Never seen it on a big screen and have not seen it in years. If nothing else it'll make me get even more jokes next time I watch Young Frankenstein....

RE-ANIMATOR....... Bound to be fun with the marathoid crowd. Haven't seen it since the original release.

RE: FRANKENSTEIN - actually there isn't as much spoofed in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN from this, the 1932 original, as from BRIDE or SON.

RE: RE-ANIMATOR - Didn't you watch this at SF/16 in 1991 - some 5 years after it's "original release"?

IP Logged

Reply #118 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 12:45pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 at 11:48pm:
FRANKENSTEIN (1931)..... Never seen it on a big screen and have not seen it in years. If nothing else it'll make me get even more jokes next time I watch Young Frankenstein....

RE: FRANKENSTEIN - actually there isn't as much spoofed in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN from this, the 1932 original, as from BRIDE or SON.

RE: RE-ANIMATOR - Didn't you watch this at SF/16 in 1991 - some 5 years after it's "original release"?

Ut-oh somebody fell asleep or was out dining......

IP Logged

Reply #119 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 8:12pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Feb 7th, 2012 at 12:45pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 at 11:48pm:

Ut-oh somebody fell asleep or was out dining......

And you guys wonder why there ain't more people commenting here.
Looking back at the schedule I'd say most likely it was a late dinner that caused me to miss it.
It was preceded by Robojox and a talk with Stuart Gordon. Since i had not seen Robojox  and was interested in hearing the guest I'd guess my group decided to take a very late meal.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10