WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
SF37 Films Official Reaction thread (Read 117302 times)
Reply #60 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 1:16pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Frank wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 9:32am:
kirok wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 7:43am:
i count 11 films. is their a surprize in the works? is it cowboys and aliens?

Sweet merciful crap! Let's hope not........

just saw on facebook. world pemiere of a documentary on john campbell. science fiction editor.

i'm glad to see a documentary at the thon. it paves the way for a tenth anniversary showing of "an inconvenient truth"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #61 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 2:46pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

kirok wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 1:16pm:
Frank wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 9:32am:
kirok wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 7:43am:
i count 11 films. is their a surprize in the works? is it cowboys and aliens?

Sweet merciful crap! Let's hope not........

just saw on facebook. world pemiere of a documentary on john campbell. science fiction editor.

i'm glad to see a documentary at the thon. it paves the way for a tenth anniversary showing of "an inconvenient truth"

That Doc was mentioned as a festival listing. No idea if it will show up at our thing or not. I hope it does.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #62 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 5:27pm

IamJacksUserID   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Ohio marathoner
Gilbert, AZ

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 24th, 2012 at 9:26pm:
Appreciate the kind words.

I think everyone who is a "veteran" knows there are paramaters. Still, worth tossing out there for ideas about what should play during the 'graveyard' shift aka 'naptime'....

If you are seriously looking for input as to what to show in the middle of the night, my two cents:

Re-Animator: graphically violent and sexually explicit, plus it's usually categorized as a horror movie more so than SF.

Cowboy Bebop: Not a rarity or a premiere and has well paced action throughout.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Of the recent titles, this is the one that has probably been seen by most of the audience.

Oh, and by the way, "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" is still listed as "Rise of the Apes" in several places on this site.

Bread makes you fat?!?
IP Logged

Reply #63 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 6:02pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

IamJacksUserID wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 5:27pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 24th, 2012 at 9:26pm:
Appreciate the kind words.

I think everyone who is a "veteran" knows there are paramaters. Still, worth tossing out there for ideas about what should play during the 'graveyard' shift aka 'naptime'....

If you are seriously looking for input as to what to show in the middle of the night, my two cents:

Re-Animator: graphically violent and sexually explicit, plus it's usually categorized as a horror movie more so than SF.

Cowboy Bebop: Not a rarity or a premiere and has well paced action throughout.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Of the recent titles, this is the one that has probably been seen by most of the audience.

Oh, and by the way, "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" is still listed as "Rise of the Apes" in several places on this site.

Here is where the difficulties begin:

I want to see all of those and would like to be awake for most of them.  If you want to put Re-Animator between two other movies in te wee hours that would be fine.  Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a recent hit and as such, if we go by the past, will probably play first or second rather than last as it is new and has been seen by many. 

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #64 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 10:49pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 23rd, 2012 at 7:30pm:
My quick thoughts -

"And just some of my quick thoughts on your comments."

ISLAND OF LOST SOULS - This is livelier and has more creepy elements that I hope will go over better than I fear FRANKENSTEIN may garner. Side notes: 1. This is the film that was playing in Cinema One when I first entered a Marathon for the Night Flight at SF/4 - Boy, did we wanna sneak in! 2. Joe Neff says that the print that played in Ohio was superb; hopefully, it is that same one. The one I saw in L.A. about a decade ago was very good except they used extreme noise reduction to drown out the hiss and it made it sound like the dialogue was recorded in a wind tunnel - I hope this isn't THAT print.

"I was in Cinema 1 at the Welles, the film was remarkable. You could enjoy it as a classic or go with Charles Laughton & Bela Lugosi chewing up the scenery. Plus the animal men's chant of "Are we not men?" was answered "We are Devo" by the crowd." 

MISSION GALACTICA - Ok. Some 70s TV schlock, I suppose. Would rather have not shown this in back to back years with the feature.

"Don't think this version ever played in the US in theaters so is a rarity in its own way."

RISE OF THE APES - The best SF film overall that I saw last year (though I also quite liked MELANCHOLIA, ANOTHER EARTH & ADJUSTMENT BUREAU). It doesn't have the grandeur and scope of the best of the original APES series, but pretty solid.

"May not have the grandeur but it does work as a set up film for the original. You can see the story of the missing astronauts spaceship going on in the background."

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #65 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 12:09am

kirok   Offline
God Member

it's a good line up but nothing makes me riverdance. if it is funny, i think paul should go last. war of the satellites should go second to last.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #66 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 5:31am

Rich Bartlett   Offline

No disaster movies in the line-up! Doesn't anybody know the world is going to end?

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 6:09pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

As always, SOMETHING has to be shown between 2 and 7 am (and, it's always 'the other Marathoner's fave' that you want to be shown then). Which 2 or 3 titles should they be?
[/quote]
Well then, I vote for Scanners, Re-Animator and Battlestar Galactica!

IP Logged

Reply #68 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 6:43pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

And that's why this crap just needs to be scheduled without seeking opinions.  Just do it.  Fewer than a dozen people post here.  It really won't be a majority.  Leave this to you professionals so we can bith at SOMEONE when it goes horribly wrong...

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #69 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 8:10pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Professional, smefessional...we're all just big fanboys and fangirls here.

I think it's fun and informative to see what others think. There are certain formulas and tendencies we fall into when making the schedule, so it doesn't hurt to hear other voices.

My only quibble is when folks insist that their own "most want to see" (or "don't care to see") must be booked at such and such a time, otherwise the whole schedule sucks. Then, there is the whole "dinner break" issue. As I noted last year when we showed one of the most requested and long-elusive titles for the Marathon - MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3K - during dinner time: Whole ROWS of people seemed to flock out for a bite to eat. Were they against the idea of seeing MST3K at the Marathon? No! They were hungry, that's all! I'm convinced that even if we were to get Ridley Scott's rough cut of PROMETHEUS or secret footage from Peter Jackson's THE HOBBIT and showed it during the loosely defined "dinner hours", there would still be a bunch of hungry marathoners would would choose Redbones over such exclusive footage!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #70 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:35pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 8:10pm:

I think it's fun and informative to see what others think. There are certain formulas and tendencies we fall into when making the schedule, so it doesn't hurt to hear other voices.

It does hurt a bit because in all of the years that I was not in on what goes on behind the scenes stuff such as this led me to think that I might have an actual voice in the matter.  I know better now.  If you insist on doing this exercise let folks know up front that it is for funsies.   That would be fair.

IP Logged

Reply #71 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:36pm

Metaluna   Offline

I'm convinced that even if we were to get Ridley Scott's rough cut of PROMETHEUS or secret footage from Peter Jackson's THE HOBBIT and showed it during the loosely defined "dinner hours", there would still be a bunch of hungry marathoners would would choose Redbones over such exclusive footage!  Cheesy

I hope we never have any LOTR movies at the marathon. I want Aliens not Dwarfs.

I have never seen Paul but my first reaction was it would be a good last movie. Please, please, please no subtitles or overly complex and intricate plots near the end!

IIRC Brainstorm showed late at night the first time it ran and the sort of dreamy quality was a good fit. Re-Animator also seems a natural for late at night.

We have a history of showing the obligatory anime movie in the second slot. This always kinda breaks the mood for me. Let's...uh, hide it somewhere. Tongue

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #72 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:09pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Hey!  I'M a professional!
     Nice to see how much I'm appreciated, Tony!!!!

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #73 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:23pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

My only quibble is when folks insist that their own "most want to see" (or "don't care to see") must be booked at such and such a time, otherwise the whole schedule sucks. Then, there is the whole "dinner break" issue. As I noted last year when we showed one of the most requested and long-elusive titles for the Marathon - MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3K - during dinner time: Whole ROWS of people seemed to flock out for a bite to eat. Were they against the idea of seeing MST3K at the Marathon? No! They were hungry, that's all! I'm convinced that even if we were to get Ridley Scott's rough cut of PROMETHEUS or secret footage from Peter Jackson's THE HOBBIT and showed it during the loosely defined "dinner hours", there would still be a bunch of hungry marathoners would would choose Redbones over such exclusive footage!  Cheesy

First, make no mistake, I don;t see any professionals in this group when it comes to setting up the order of movies. 

Also, this is how rumors get started.  I hear someone said something about Prometheus..........

LOTR:  I like the fantasy genre but this is science fiction.  I don't mind straying a bit far off the course now and again but let's not wake up in a different country.

IP Logged

Reply #74 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:28pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Metaluna wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:36pm:
I hope we never have any LOTR movies at the marathon.

For once, we agree!   Shocked

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10