WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
SF37 Films Official Reaction thread (Read 116983 times)
Reply #30 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 12:00pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Joe Neff wrote on Jan 16th, 2012 at 6:38pm:
Wow, according to today's update, DUCK DODGERS will be showing this year.  DUCK DODGERS?!?  Holy smoke!  I thought that Ken Russell had withdrawn the rights for it before his death!  Is this Martin Scorsese's personal print of DUCK, the one that screened at Film Forum with a roundtable discussion by Jonathan Rosenbaum, Armond White and Ken Russell's ghost?

No, this is Chuck Jones's personal print, which he stole from the Disney vaults & then handcoloured with oil paints!  (Disney's ghost is currently being grossed out by Ken Russell's ghost, while the ghosts of Tex Avery, Bill Tytla, & Art Babbitt are whooping it up at Ub Irwecks's place.)  The special print was made out of marble, & is not easy to run without causing damage....

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 2:45pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Garen has promised to list a bunch of films by half time.  So far, I see that he has teased with two posters: one for Brainstorm and one for Scanners.  Are they part of the line-up.  Works for me if they are part of the thon.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 4:36pm

Metaluna   Offline

Frank wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 2:45pm:
Garen has promised to list a bunch of films by half time.  So far, I see that he has teased with two posters: one for Brainstorm and one for Scanners.  Are they part of the line-up.  Works for me if they are part of the thon.

WAR OF THE SATELLITES (1958) Roger Corman's 8 day wonder starring Boston's own tragic Susan Cabot.
BRAINSTORM (1983) Natalie Wood's last film from sfx wizard Douglas Trumbull.
FRANKENSTEIN (1931) Rare studio archive print of the classic.
MISSION GALACTICA: Cylon Attack (1979) 2nd of the 'Galactica' movies.
ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1932) Archive print of HG Wells' classic.
PAUL (2011) Sci-fi comedy from the folks who gave us 'Shaun of the Dead'.
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (2011) Stirring re-imaging of the classic.
SCANNERS (1981) David Cronenberg's brain exploding ground breaker.
RE-ANIMATOR (1985) H.P. Lovecraft as channeled by Stuart Gordon.
ATTACK THE BLOCK (2011) One of our faves for this year
COWBOY BE-BOP (2001) Cult hit based on the TV show.
North American Premiere DIMENSIONS (2012) Think what if PBS' Masterpiece Theatre had a sci-fi edge? Part of The Fest.

Plus DUCK DODGERS, BAMBI MEETS GODZILLA, Fest shorts, Trailers guests and more to announced soon.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 6:09pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

"Rockin!" Sure I've seen some, but classics like "Frankenstein" and "Island of Lost Souls" are always welcome on the big screen!

I've been hoping that the hinted serial was "Cowboy Bebop." ever since seeing the first segment on Youtube! This is going to be cool.  Cheesy

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 7:40pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I am not sure but I believe that is Cowboy Bebop The Movie.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #35 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 7:48pm

Metaluna   Offline

Frank wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 7:40pm:

I hope so cause it'll be difficult to take my dinner break in installments. Grin

And I really don't need to see Re-Animator again. Everything else looks good to me.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #36 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 8:27pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Metaluna wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 7:48pm:
Frank wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 7:40pm:

I hope so cause it'll be difficult to take my dinner break in installments. Grin

And I really don't need to see Re-Animator again. Everything else looks good to me.

I like Cowboy Bebop and Re-Animator so a dinner break will be very tough for me.  Maybe Frankenstein as Fran and I saw this at the Coolidge at Halloween.  But, we shall see.

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 9:14pm

Joe Neff   Offline

Not a bad slate, but (and I can't believe, as the Horror Marathon guy, that I'm saying this) it's missing a few standout pure sci-fi classics.  The lack of these draws attention to the three horror-centric titles (four if you want to shoehorn in Scanners, although it's one of the more sf-ish films in the Cronenberg canon.)

The Island of Lost Souls print, which we played at the 2010 Columbus Horrorthon, is absolutely gorgeous.  The print of Frankenstein is less so, but still a powerful visual experience.

I could do without one or two of the more recent titles.  I know that 35mm repertory booking is getting harder, but there are still films out there, both in the studio vaults and in the hands of private collectors.

I really dislike the flat Galactica films (although my four-year-old self was a big fan).  Come to think of it, they're probably some of the few films that I would genuinely have no interest in seeing in a Marathon setting.

Re-Animator holds up as a small scale study in pandemonium.  Have any of you heard of its recent musical incarnation, written by Dennis Paoli and directed by Stuart Gordon?  I had the chance to see it in L.A. last summer; it's tremendously entertaining, both a wry commentary on the film to stage transition and a sometimes dramatically moving production.  High points go to light opera vet Jesse Merlin for his high camp portrayal of Dr. Hill.

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 9:23pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I would normally be dead set against three new titles but I acutally have not seen Attack or Paul so it softens the blow and Apes was probably the best of the BIG science fiction films of the year and actually did the series proud. 
Scanners is barely a horror film.  It is far more rooted in science fiction.  Island of Lost Souls and Frankenstein are both horror but with at least one foot in science fiction.  They are monsters of science as opposed to Dracula or Wolfman.  Re-Animator it's been some time and I welcome its' inclusion. 
Overall, I like the line-up.  The Galactica movie, oh well. 

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 11:31pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 8:27pm:
Maybe Frankenstein as Fran and I saw this at the Coolidge at Halloween.

The Coolidge?????  Are you sure about that, Frank?

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 12:36am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 11:31pm:
Frank wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 8:27pm:
Maybe Frankenstein as Fran and I saw this at the Coolidge at Halloween.

The Coolidge?????  Are you sure about that, Frank?

Yea man the Coolidge right after I ingested those mushrooms. Cheesy  Wow, it's like calling your current girl by your former girl's name.

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 12:47am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Jan 23rd, 2012 at 12:36am:
Yea man the Coolidge right after I ingested those mushrooms. Cheesy  Wow, it's like calling your current girl by your former girl's name.

Oooooh, Garen.  I mean Tony.  I mean Frank.
     The things you say!   Wink

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 1:02am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Reactions:
WAR OF THE SATELLITES (1958) - Never saw.
BRAINSTORM (1983) - As I kept saying, a mistake not to wait for the 70 install to finish to run this.  Sometimes I despair.
FRANKENSTEIN (1931) - Probably the print we ran for Hallowe'en.  Looks very good.
MISSION GALACTICA: Cylon Attack (1979) - Really?
ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1932) - Never saw & never ran.
PAUL (2011) - This is okay: dumb fun.  Lots of in-jokes that this crowd will get.
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (2011) - Didnt see.  Looking forward to it.
SCANNERS (1981) - I hate & despise this piece of stupid crap.
RE-ANIMATOR (1985) - Never saw & never ran.  Heard a lot about it, though.
ATTACK THE BLOCK (2011) - Missed this, too.
COWBOY BE-BOP (2001) - Oh, Christ.
DIMENSIONS (2012) - New.

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 11:26am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i keep hoping that announcing the battlestar galactica feature is a practical joke on garen's part. did he mean gattacca?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #44 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 7:30pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

My quick thoughts -

WAR OF THE SATELLITES - Corman quickie that actually has decent pacing and Dick Miller in a lead role. Not to mention this is an ultra-rare 35mm print

ATTACK THE BLOCK - will go over well with this audience

PAUL - ditto

BRAINSTORM - Really looking forward to it. I haven't revisited the film in many years.

FRANKENSTEIN - A classic. James Whale. Boris Karloff. Just a bit concerned that its slow pace and lack of any musical score will get filled by the sound of yahoos and their wisecracks.

ISLAND OF LOST SOULS - This is livelier and has more creepy elements that I hope will go over better than I fear FRANKENSTEIN may garner. Side notes: 1. This is the film that was playing in Cinema One when I first entered a Marathon for the Night Flight at SF/4 - Boy, did we wanna sneak in! 2. Joe Neff says that the print that played in Ohio was superb; hopefully, it is that same one. The one I saw in L.A. about a decade ago was very good except they used extreme noise reduction to drown out the hiss and it made it sound like the dialogue was recorded in a wind tunnel - I hope this isn't THAT print.

RE-ANIMATOR - I admit that this isn't a fave of mine. Stuart Gordon has been a good friend of the Marathon, and I worked with Barbara Crampton & Jeffrey Combs, so I guess I owe it a 3rd chance....

COWBOY BEBOP
- I'm unfamiliar with this series. I don't mind Anime as much as others seem to.

MISSION GALACTICA - Ok. Some 70s TV schlock, I suppose. Would rather have not shown this in back to back years with the feature.

SCANNERS - Our seemingly annual Cronenberg. Haven't seen this one since about a year after it came out. I first saw it at that now-legendary Cronenberg 4 film mini-marathon that culminated with SCANNERS' local premiere at the Saxon.

RISE OF THE APES - The best SF film overall that I saw last year (though I also quite liked MELANCHOLIA, ANOTHER EARTH & ADJUSTMENT BUREAU). It doesn't have the grandeur and scope of the best of the original APES series, but pretty solid.

DIMENSIONS - Since my schedule doesn't allow me to get to the Festival, I'm glad that this seemingly highly regarded entry will show at the Marathon.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10