WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
SF37 Films Official Reaction thread (Read 116925 times)
Reply #45 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 8:45pm

IamJacksUserID   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Ohio marathoner
Gilbert, AZ

I think I've mentioned this somewhere before, but it bears repeating.  I hate almost every anime I have watched or tried to watch, however I found Cowboy Bebop thoroughly enjoyable when it played in Columbus ten years ago, especially with the marathon crowd.

The only thing on this list that has me scratching my head is that Battlestar Galactica thing, especially since you guys showed the first one last year.  Scanners and Re-Animator are required viewing for any genre fans who have yet to see them, especially in a theater.

And I know the heated debate goes on and on about whether to include recent films in the lineup, but I can't think of three better choices from last year for the marathon.  Have fun, everyone.

Bread makes you fat?!?
IP Logged

Reply #46 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 9:10pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Ditto about Cowboy Bebop.  My daughter told me about this series and the movie a number f years ago.  I really enjoyed Cowboy Bebop.  I hope that it will be well received.  I am psyched about the rest of the line-up and I can live with the Galactica inclusion.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #47 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 2:19pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

So far it looks like an enjoyable line up. Looking forward to Attack the Block and the nice prints of Frankenstein and Island of Lost Souls. Hopefully they won't be shown in the wee ours of Monday morning! This will be 'Thon # 32 for me and it's always a great event!! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #48 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 4:33pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Dinsdale wrote on Jan 24th, 2012 at 2:19pm:
So far it looks like an enjoyable line up. Looking forward to Attack the Block and the nice prints of Frankenstein and Island of Lost Souls. Hopefully they won't be shown in the wee ours of Monday morning! This will be 'Thon # 32 for me and it's always a great event!! Smiley

As always, SOMETHING has to be shown between 2 and 7 am (and, it's always 'the other Marathoner's fave' that you want to be shown then). Which 2 or 3 titles should they be?

IP Logged

Reply #49 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 5:53pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

please play battlestar galactica at 9 or 10 p.m. so folks can stroll into the small theaters and catch whatever is in current release. with luck it will be tin tin or hugo or red tails. one year at the coolidge we played stargate at midnight while the lineup continued in the main theater.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #50 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 7:00pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

kirok wrote on Jan 24th, 2012 at 5:53pm:
so folks can stroll into the small theaters and catch whatever is in current release. with luck it will be tin tin or hugo or red tails.

Hugo is gone, we're not running Red Tails, & you really shouldnt be wandering into those theatres without buying a ticket!

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #51 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 7:04pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 23rd, 2012 at 7:30pm:
ISLAND OF LOST SOULS - The one I saw in L.A. about a decade ago was very good except they used extreme noise reduction to drown out the hiss and it made it sound like the dialogue was recorded in a wind tunnel - I hope this isn't THAT print.

I will let you know.

Quote:
SCANNERS - I first saw it at that now-legendary Cronenberg 4 film mini-marathon that culminated with SCANNERS' local premiere at the Saxon.

And guess who was also there watching & running the movies?  Go on: GUESS.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #52 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 7:42pm

Joe Neff   Offline

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 24th, 2012 at 7:04pm:
Quote:
SCANNERS - I first saw it at that now-legendary Cronenberg 4 film mini-marathon that culminated with SCANNERS' local premiere at the Saxon.

Barry Convex?

IP Logged

Reply #53 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 7:50pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Joe Neff wrote on Jan 24th, 2012 at 7:42pm:
David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 24th, 2012 at 7:04pm:
Quote:

Barry Convex?

As well as Harlan.  And now you know............... the rest of the story........... Good day...........Paul Harvey.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #54 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 7:58pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Kirok: 
please play battlestar galactica at 9 or 10 p.m. so folks can stroll into the small theaters and catch whatever is in current release...

There are a lot of variables in a lineup and LA does his best to weigh many factors including kid-friendliness, sleep-inducing plot, and general popularity. Add to that any number of surprises, shorts, delays or even a major catastrophy and there's just no making everyone happy.

As far as programming the break music, I'll just have to take it as it comes!
Or, in the words of Battlestar Gallactica costar the late Lloyd Bridges:

"It looks like I picked the wrong week to give up smoking!"
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2012 at 5:32am by R_F_Fineman »  

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #55 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 8:16pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Jan 24th, 2012 at 7:58pm:

There are a lot of variables in a lineup and LA does his best to weigh many factors including kid-friendliness, sleep-inducing plot, and general popularity. Add to that any number of surprises, shorts, delays or even a major catastrophy and there's just no making everyone happy.

That scenario is not quite true..... 
Garen has the final say on the line-up so let's not put it all on Tony.  He has to work within certain parameters set up by the Man himself. 

IP Logged

Reply #56 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 9:26pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Appreciate the kind words.

I think everyone who is a "veteran" knows there are paramaters. Still, worth tossing out there for ideas about what should play during the 'graveyard' shift aka 'naptime'....

IP Logged

Reply #57 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 11:44pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Wow, quite a mass announcements. Interesting bunch too
War of the Satellites- obscure enough that likely most have never seen it. Probably pretty creaky too.
Attack The Block-missed it on its theater run so looking forward to it.
Paul- really liked it and look forward to seeing it again. A good buddy comedy where one buddy is an alien.
Brainstorm- interesting and worth another look.
Frankenstein- first time seeing it on the big screen, should be fun.
Island of Lost Souls- really looking forward to seeing this again. Will we still get the crowd doing Devo chants?
Re-Animator- gross out fun, may miss it depending on the time.
Cowboy Bebop- anime again? That trick never works.
Scanners- I actually had to check if we had shown this before. Cronenbergs always worth seeing.
Rise of the Apes- great film, just not sure if I want to see it again.
Dimensions- no idea yet.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #58 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 7:43am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i count 11 films. is their a surprize in the works? is it cowboys and aliens?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #59 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 9:32am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 7:43am:
i count 11 films. is their a surprize in the works? is it cowboys and aliens?

Sweet merciful crap! Let's hope not........

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10