WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
SF37 Films Official Reaction thread (Read 115855 times)
Reply #15 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 6:11pm

Quorra   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Sol-seems interesting. Lord of the Flies type movie?

Attack the Block- IS AMAZING. I really loved this movie. You will like it.  Roll Eyes

DIMENSIONS: Ok I am little skeptical BUT the trailer is giving me the same feeling that Primer gave me. Remember Primer? Primer played at SF 30. It was really good. It was a mind @#$%! 

Thats it for now folks!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 7:09pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

ATTACK THE BLOCK isn't anywhere near "amazing". But, it's loud and action-packed and will go over well with this crowd.

Also, DIMENSIONS & SOL are Festival selections only at this point. Although, if history is any guide one or more Fest films may show up at the Marathon.

Quorra wrote on Jan 14th, 2012 at 6:11pm:
Sol-seems interesting. Lord of the Flies type movie?

Attack the Block- IS AMAZING. I really loved this movie. You will like it.  Roll Eyes

DIMENSIONS: Ok I am little skeptical BUT the trailer is giving me the same feeling that Primer gave me. Remember Primer? Primer played at SF 30. It was really good. It was a mind @#$%! 

Thats it for now folks!  Cheesy

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2012 at 2:59pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 1:28am

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

I'm guessing the makers of Sol are big Hunger Games fans.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 1:46am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I am psyched to see Corman's War of the Satellites.  A Corman quickie of course but it's a pretty good.  Starring Dick Miller.  Dick Miller gets to play the lead and the hero.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 2:31pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Jan 15th, 2012 at 1:46am:
I am psyched to see Corman's War of the Satellites.  A Corman quickie of course but it's a pretty good.  Starring Dick Miller.  Dick Miller gets to play the lead and the hero.

Yes, well, lets hope it isnt as faded as that print of Last Woman on Earth.
     Although that seems likely.  I cant imagine that someone has been striking new prints of Corman movies.....

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 2:44pm

Metaluna   Offline

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 15th, 2012 at 2:31pm:
Yes, well, lets hope it isnt as faded as that print of Last Woman on Earth.  Although that seems likely.  I cant imagine that someone has been striking new prints of Corman movies.....

Remember that time lapse video of last years marathon that was posted on youtube? You could clearly see the whole room took on a reddish hue during that movie.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 2:53pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I'm sure WAR OF THE SATELLITES is a vintage print. The only 'good' news is that it is in Black & White, so the color issue doesn't come in to play. It's not a bad little film considering it's insanely tight schedule. Decent pacing and its nice to see Dick Miller in a leading role. Susan Cabot was born in Boston, too.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 3:22pm

Metaluna   Offline

Quorra wrote on Jan 14th, 2012 at 6:11pm:

Is it gory violence or non-gory violence?

Also, I was being serious when I said I couldn't understand what they were saying. Did anyone else have that problem? Will I still be able to follow the story?

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 4:26pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 15th, 2012 at 2:53pm:
I'm sure WAR OF THE SATELLITES is a vintage print. The only 'good' news is that it is in Black & White, so the color issue doesn't come in to play. It's not a bad little film considering it's insanely tight schedule. Decent pacing and its nice to see Dick Miller in a leading role. Susan Cabot was born in Boston, too.

I loved Susan Cabot.  Here life was even stranger than her
movie roles.  Look it up and read about her life and traguc death at the hands of her own son, who was unbalanced.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 12:32am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 15th, 2012 at 2:53pm:
The only 'good' news is that it is in Black & White, so the color issue doesn't come in to play.

Well, that sure renders my concern moot!
     If it's an original strike, the density should be lovely.  Lets hope theres not too much wear or too many splices.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 10:44am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Metaluna wrote on Jan 15th, 2012 at 3:22pm:
Is it gory violence or non-gory violence?

Also, I was being serious when I said I couldn't understand what they were saying. Did anyone else have that problem? Will I still be able to follow the story?

IIRC, it's not terribly gory.  Some blood, some monsters getting killed, but not a lot of lingering on corpses or dismemberment.

I'm apparently not the guy to ask about accents, because I have no problem understanding Tom Hardy in the Batman preview, but I don't think Attack the Block presents that much of a problem.  A two minute trailer doesn't give you time to acclimate like a 90-minute movie does.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 6:38pm

Joe Neff   Offline

Wow, according to today's update, DUCK DODGERS will be showing this year.  DUCK DODGERS?!?  Holy smoke!  I thought that Ken Russell had withdrawn the rights for it before his death!  Is this Martin Scorsese's personal print of DUCK, the one that screened at Film Forum with a roundtable discussion by Jonathan Rosenbaum, Armond White and Ken Russell's ghost?

I kid, I kid.......

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 3:05pm

G.I. Joe   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Fightin' for a better
Marathon

uh I hate to be rude or anything - but ain't it kinda late in the game and we only have 2 movies announced?

i don't have time for the festival, so i only wanna know about the ones that are playin the marathon as well

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 3:54pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

G.I. Joe wrote on Jan 18th, 2012 at 3:05pm:
uh I hate to be rude or anything - but ain't it kinda late in the game and we only have 2 movies announced?

i don't have time for the festival, so i only wanna know about the ones that are playin the marathon as well

It's late by recent standards, although by the standards of other festivals, a month out is generally when you start seeing schedules appear (though often in one big press release).

From recent Facebook updates, it seems Garen is still screening films for the festival, and given that the general mix for the marathon has been fairly stable for the past few years, there's probably really not much need to nail down or announce the specific line-up very early - it's not like it's going to be the big factor in whether many buy tickets.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 10:24pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

BTW, keep an eye out for Roger Corman.  He was above putting himself into his movie if a scene demanded a crowd.  However, he has a pretty big cameo in War playing a flight engineer and appearing in a few spots throughout.  Also, keep an eye out for the world's oldest teens.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10