WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Ideas/Suggestions for SF/39 Feb. 2014! (Read 86850 times)
Reply #75 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 11:07pm

L.A. Connection   Online
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Not shown at the Marathon proper since SF/10 believe it or not!

BRAND NEW 35MM Print!

http://www.cinefamily.org/films/close-encounters-of-the-third-kind/

* The Special Edition was shown upstairs in a Night Flight at the Coolidge

IP Logged

Reply #76 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 11:26pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

e.t. has never been shown. it's twice the movie that close encounters is.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #77 - Sep 13th, 2013 at 8:27pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #78 - Sep 13th, 2013 at 8:56pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

There are some pretty good titles.

Still, those who do not learn from the past are destined to repeat it.

The following have played fairly recently...
Mothra SF-36
Quiet Earth Sf-36
Island of Lost Souls SF-37
The Damned  of "black leather" song fame (not to be confused with Children of.. or Village of..)
It Came From Outer Space SF-34
Godzilla SF-30
Charly SF-30
Last Man on Earth SF-31
This Island Earth (MST version) SF-36
The Thing /SF-34

Other versions of "20,000 Leagues" and "1984" have also played

...Then there's "Hands of Orlac" Shocked

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #79 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 3:06am

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

I know I suggested it last year but what about taking another shot at Dr. Who and the Daleks? It seems appropriate considering we'll have just come out of the 50th anniversary year by then and the Brattle did manage to find a 35mm print of it to run back in April.

IP Logged

Reply #80 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 2:04pm

L.A. Connection   Online
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I like it!

UncleTim wrote on Sep 15th, 2013 at 3:06am:
I know I suggested it last year but what about taking another shot at Dr. Who and the Daleks? It seems appropriate considering we'll have just come out of the 50th anniversary year by then and the Brattle did manage to find a 35mm print of it to run back in April.

IP Logged

Reply #81 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 10:41pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

And they're pretty sure to be running it again in November. The print will at least be easy to track down - it is the Brattle's - but no need to play something almost certain to have played locally twice in the past year.

IP Logged

Reply #82 - Sep 16th, 2013 at 11:28am

L.A. Connection   Online
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Sep 15th, 2013 at 10:41pm:
...no need to play something almost certain to have played locally twice in the past year.

STEAL, BABY, STEAL!

EVIL L.A.

IP Logged

Reply #83 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 8:16pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Since I'm still thinking SF39 will have a robot theme thought I'd suggest 2 great movie bots we've never run.
The Colossus of New York
Tobor the Great, and if we can't get the film there is an unsold pilot show called Here Comes Tobor that I think is in public domain now.

Also wondering if it'd be possible to get something from Rifftrax (one of two MST3K follow up groups.)
They did Starship Troopers on a live broadcast to theaters that was really funny. Or even do one of the short films they did. They have a riff of the Melies 'Trip to the Moon' that could be fun.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #84 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 9:54pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Bunnyman is on to something with Tobor.

In his way, Tobor really is great and a great fit for the 'thon as a representative of the 50's in a robot year. "Robot Monster" hasn't played in years and has been called one of the few so-bad-it's-good movies that lives up to the expectations.

I'm not so sure about MST3K Rifftrax Starship Troopers. My understanding is that they paid a lot for the rights for a one-time broadcast of this sixteen year old movie. The riffed version wouldn't be available. (The MST "This Island Earth" is the only thing they ever put on 35mm in ten years of riffing.)

Yesterday, Sci-fi London ran their MST marathon. The show, which never aired in the UK, was warmly received. Some fans even dressed up and brought along Tom Servo.

http://www.sci-fi-london.com/festival/2013/oktoberfest/programme/all-nighter/mys...

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #85 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 10:54pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

Here are two more possibly goofy ideas, neither of which have ever played the 'thon before:

Since Reptilicus was a lot of fun, if there's a perceived need for something schlocky and goofy, what about The Creeping Terror, the movie with the infamous carpet monster that sucks up unlucky victims? It is hilariously bad and also only about 70 minutes so it wouldn't overstay its welcome. I'm relatively sure it's never played the 'thon but given the number of titles it was released under, it may have slipped through my review of the list.

And let me throw a somewhat out-there suggestion: The Secret of NIMH. I know the science-fiction aspects (rats made super-intelligent through experimentation) aren't quite as up front as in other movies but they're present and it's an absolutely beautiful, highly-underrated film that might serve as a nostalgic treat for those who grew up in the 80s.

IP Logged

Reply #86 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:04am

L.A. Connection   Online
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

CREEPING TERROR did play at an Orson Welles Schlock Around the Clock marathon, but it was in 16mm.

Having written extensively about the movie, I'm pretty sure no 35mm print exists, so it would be grainy DVD.

TOBOR would be great, but, I don't think any 35mm print exists either. And, this also only has DVD, no Blu Ray.

UncleTim wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 10:54pm:
Here are two more possibly goofy ideas, neither of which have ever played the 'thon before:

Since Reptilicus was a lot of fun, if there's a perceived need for something schlocky and goofy, what about The Creeping Terror, the movie with the infamous carpet monster that sucks up unlucky victims? It is hilariously bad and also only about 70 minutes so it wouldn't overstay its welcome. I'm relatively sure it's never played the 'thon but given the number of titles it was released under, it may have slipped through my review of the list.

And let me throw a somewhat out-there suggestion: The Secret of NIMH. I know the science-fiction aspects (rats made super-intelligent through experimentation) aren't quite as up front as in other movies but they're present and it's an absolutely beautiful, highly-underrated film that might serve as a nostalgic treat for those who grew up in the 80s.

IP Logged

Reply #87 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 9:44am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

R_F_Fineman wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 9:54pm:
Bunnyman is on to something with Tobor.

In his way, Tobor really is great and a great fit for the 'thon as a representative of the 50's in a robot year. "Robot Monster" hasn't played in years and has been called one of the few so-bad-it's-good movies that lives up to the expectations.

I'm not so sure about MST3K Rifftrax Starship Troopers. My understanding is that they paid a lot for the rights for a one-time broadcast of this sixteen year old movie. The riffed version wouldn't be available. (The MST "This Island Earth" is the only thing they ever put on 35mm in ten years of riffing.)

Yesterday, Sci-fi London ran their MST marathon. The show, which never aired in the UK, was warmly received. Some fans even dressed up and brought along Tom Servo.

http://www.sci-fi-london.com/festival/2013/oktoberfest/programme/all-nighter/mys...

Tobor is one heck of a robot suit too. Most fans have never seen a pic from the film let alone the film itself.
Story goes that a guy at a second hand store bought a crate at an auction and found the Tobor suit inside, but he foolishly put it on display outside and it was stolen, likely for its scrap metal value.

I figured Rifftrax 'Starship Trooper would not be available. I noticed they're not even offering the live show on DVD or VOD.
But a short or two especially Trip to the Moon.

Dr Who & The Daleks is another good choice for SF39, even if the Daleks ain't technically robots.

If we ever want to bring back Reptilicus there is a copy of the original Danish language version online where we get to see the damn puppet fly! Also subtitles available for that version.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #88 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 2:21pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

da_Bunnyman wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 8:16pm:
Also wondering if it'd be possible to get something from Rifftrax (one of two MST3K follow up groups.)

No no no no no no no no no no no no.

No.

F---, no.

Parasites.

IP Logged

Reply #89 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 6:14pm

L.A. Connection   Online
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Geez, Jay. For someone who sees as many movies as you, you seem to have little sense of humor when it comes to the the cinefantastique genre.

No fun with B-Movie schlock titles?

Not getting the humor in James Whale's horror movies?

And, now, that swipe at the MST3K folks?

Lighten up. Not everything has to be deep and straightforward............

Jay Seaver wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 2:21pm:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 8:16pm:

No no no no no no no no no no no no.

No.

F---, no.

Parasites.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9