WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Ideas/Suggestions for SF/39 Feb. 2014! (Read 86666 times)
Feb 24th, 2013 at 12:36pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Never too early!

Whaddya want to see NEXT year?

How can we improve the Marathon and Fesival?

Speak up, Marathoid!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 1:33am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

One thing I came up with while doing my big diary post - I dug seeing "2013: NOW" as a caption during Escape from L.A., and wouldn't mind this becoming a sort of tradition - find a movie set during 2014 (when it was in the future!) for SF/39, 2015 for SF/40, etc.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 10:09pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I don't know if it ever got mentioned for this year, since the Somerville Theatre just got digital projection in the main room in time for James Bond in November, but...

Fox has to have Idiocracy on DCP, right?  As much as that is somewhat infamous for having no prints so soon after its release, could it theoretically be back on the table for next year.

(Anyone making the same case for Blast from the Past gets slapped and sent home without supper)

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 11:39pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I'd like to see more time between shows, some time for announcements to be made.
Also please bring back a trailer reel or two.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 2:48pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I doubt Fox has made a DCP of IDIOCRACY (why would they for an occasional midnight show? Plus, Fox hates the movie). But, there may still be a 35mm print if they'll rent it out. Otherwise, it'll be DVD and I'm all for showing it.

I, too, miss the Trailer Reels. It seems like they are the first to go when the schedule gets too packed. The experiment with the short film failed this year. Hopefully, the pre-show Trailer reel will be back next year. And, if we book some shorter features - maybe, another during the 'Thon.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 4:35pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Garen has said that the Foil Hat contest and the Alien Mating Cry get great press and that's why he continues to set aside marathon time for those annoying holdovers from the past.
I can't watch them anymore. I have to leave the theater when they take place. An idea whose time has gone.
And please bring back the trailers. There's a Marathon tradition that never gets old.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 7:15pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

What?!! You didn't have to fight through that throng of News Reporters, TV crews and Paparazzi to see the contests this year?

Seriously, if we're only getting THREE contestants for the Tin Foil Hat Contest and maybe one or two that have prepared for the Alien Mating Cry (the rest are obviously just winging it) -- what is the point, exactly?

Caleb451 wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 4:35pm:
Garen has said that the Foil Hat contest and the Alien Mating Cry get great press and that's why he continues to set aside marathon time for those annoying holdovers from the past.
I can't watch them anymore. I have to leave the theater when they take place. An idea whose time has gone.
And please bring back the trailers. There's a Marathon tradition that never gets old.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 7:47pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 8th, 2013 at 2:48pm:
I doubt Fox has made a DCP of IDIOCRACY (why would they for an occasional midnight show? Plus, Fox hates the movie). But, there may still be a 35mm print if they'll rent it out. Otherwise, it'll be DVD and I'm all for showing it.

I thought the deal with Idiocracy was that there were (infamously) no 35mm prints just a few weeks after it left theaters.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a DCP of it available; they've got to have at least a 2K version on a server somewhere.

The hilarious thing is, the last time he said something like that, it was about them almost getting coverage!  NPR almost covered it last year!

Not sure how useful it would be, anyway - who's going to buy a ticket because they heard about the Alien Mating Cry contest eleven months ago?

It'd be another thing if the site advertised them ahead of time or included links to this cover--

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sorry, I can't take the idea of the website actually providing that sort of useful information seriously.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 10:30pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

The hilarious thing is, the last time he said something like that, it was about them almost getting coverage!  NPR almost covered it last year!

Not sure how useful it would be, anyway - who's going to buy a ticket because they heard about the Alien Mating Cry contest eleven months ago?

It'd be another thing if the site advertised them ahead of time or included links to this cover--

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sorry, I can't take the idea of the website actually providing that sort of useful information seriously. [/quote]

Can't help but agree with ya on that last point. Even knowing about the Facebook page getting info about what's going to be shown, tickets etc is hard to come by unless you all ready know where to look (like here.)
Suggestion for next year is put this message boards address plus maybe something about the contests on a small flyer sent out with the tickets.
Ideally I'd really like as a bonus for early bird ticket purchases is getting reserved seats. (Garen mentioned the possibility of reserved seating to me at SF37.) It'd be an extra incentive to buy early.
Another idea to promote the marathon would be making up a design for it, even if it's just a generic one till the official mug/t-shirt design is done. This could be used as a mini poster to be put up at the theater plus could be available to be downloaded for anyone who wanted to promote it locally (at a bookshop, comic shop etc.) Again this could have date, theater, website for ordering tickets on it.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 1:37pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I have long recommended the poster thing.  I volunteered to take thm to any comic shows where I set up and to pass them out. 

The tinfoil hat and mating call need to go away.  I would rather hand out prizes to anumber that is picked from a hat.  We seem to get the same folks up there every year. 

Trailers need to be a part of the marathon.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 2:28pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

One thing that disappeared this year was the trivia quiz, I didn't notice it at the 'thon. I've liked it more than the Alien Mating Call or the Tin Foil hat contest.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 3:09pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Ed did hold the trivia quiz.
He did it as a live Q&A instead of paper ballot to avoid the dreaded Googling to a perfect score.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 3:15pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Caleb451 wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 3:09pm:
He did it as a live Q&A instead of paper ballot to avoid the dreaded Googling to a perfect score.

Yeah, and his costume was GREAT! He looked like a Film Critic!

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 5:48pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 3:15pm:

All of these contests are rather lame.  I was given a wonderful re-issue one sheet from Forbidden Planet from the 50th Anniv.  It was a mail in offer.  The poster is beautiful and framed and I have yet seen anyone do anything so outstanding to deserve this prize.  I keep bringing it to the thon because hope springs eternal.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 6:35pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Frank wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 5:48pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 3:15pm:

All of these contests are rather lame.  I was given a wonderful re-issue one sheet from Forbidden Planet from the 50th Anniv.  It was a mail in offer.  The poster is beautiful and framed and I have yet seen anyone do anything so outstanding to deserve this prize.  I keep bringing it to the thon because hope springs eternal.   

Sounds like a challenge to me! What to do, what to do?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9