WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Ideas/Suggestions for SF/39 Feb. 2014! (Read 86876 times)
Reply #45 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 3:19pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jun 27th, 2013 at 2:22pm:
pogo wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 10:58am:
Someone has to start it. Since I expect to make the long trek to see the Boston Thon again next year, I have a particularly vested interest.
The American Astronaut (2001)
Absolutely non-genre and perhaps annoyingly odd, it certainly suggests almost no other film. Got nominated for a few prizes. Perhaps Josh Whedon was influenced by it? Here's a description.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_American_Astronaut
Note: I know where there's a 35mm print.

Note: Post combined with existing thread - Admin

I don't know about this one.
The Wiki description sounds kinda scary in a bad way.

Here's the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uujG1ADn2zk
And an excerpt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rikiGMGhKVw

I'm guessing Pogo liked Johnny X   Smiley

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #46 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 4:26pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

IIRC, it's briefly entertaining but painfully stretched at feature length, annoying enough that I saw no need to see writer/director/songwriter/star Cory McAbee's follow-up Stingray Sam when that came around.  It sounds like a lot more fun than it is.

IP Logged

Reply #47 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 7:50pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

hey. i was listening to some conservative talk radio and the host was talking about "the green mile". was it ever considered? you guys surely know that the big black guy is from outer space. right?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #48 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 10:39pm

Joe Neff   Offline

For what it's worth STINGRAY SAM was a smash hit at the 2010 edition of the Columbus SF Marathon, although it's episodic nature (it was literally shown in segments throughout the event) may have been to its advantage.  But overall, that format also prevented it from seeming like the overlong short that JOHNNY X became.

Now that being said, I haven't seen AMERICAN ASTRONAUT.  But hey, what I've seen of McAbee's output makes me think that he has Larry Blamire's love of genre, but also a deft sense of absurdity and timing that's sorely lacking in the Blamire oeuvre.

IP Logged

Reply #49 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 8:07pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

if we get "the man who fell to earth" i will enter the alien mating cry contest and say "mmawwh"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #50 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 9:42pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Since it seems to be disappointing at the box-office might I suggest Pacific Rim for our usual big budget recent film?

I understand there are even some 70mm prints around.

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 11:27pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

If by "70mm" you mean "IMAX" (which are printed on 70mm film, but probably shouldn't be run through a 70mm projector), I imagine there are a few for the giant-screen theaters that haven't done a digital downgrade yet.

One which I would recommend every year until it actually plays:  "Voices of a Distant Star", Makoto Shinkai's first 20-minute short that is quite possibly the best bit of hard sci-fi to make it on screen in the 21st century.  The issue is figuring out who has the rights; they were with ADV when they went out of business and nobody else has re-issued it since.  It should be easy to fit into a schedule and I suspect even those who shrink from Japanese/animated films would find something to like about it.

IP Logged

Reply #52 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 1:58pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I'm going to see it in 70mm. I'm fortunate that there's still a 70mm theater within 10 minutes of my house!

After MAN OF STEEL, I asked to see the theater manager. I asked him why they weren't advertising that they were showing movies on 70mm FILM?! (you had to did deep on their website to find out) Good news is that they actually listened. And, now all their 70mm shows are listed in their newspaper ads!  Smiley Smiley

P.S. As to the Marathon and 70mm. Who knows. This has been in the works for years at the Somerville. And, then, of course, there's the whole matter of securing prints, insuring them and shipping costs etc. etc.

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jul 14th, 2013 at 9:42pm:
Since it seems to be disappointing at the box-office might I suggest Pacific Rim for our usual big budget recent film?

I understand there are even some 70mm prints around.

« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2013 at 7:35pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #53 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 11:18am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

I based my American Astronaut recommendation on a rave review/ announcement of a showing at the Cleveland Cinematheque - which I attended this week.
Well - - -I like oddball and particularly appreciate the mix of stuff including independent and non-linear stuff shown at both the Columbus and Boston Marathons.
The person I attended the showing with thought it was hugely creative and particularly brilliant in it's use of black & white photography & would be a great change of pace at a marathon.
I thought that the casting and specific scenes were unique -in a good way.
But when a film continues in its lengthy creativity to the extent that you are hoping that it will finish soon so that you can get the hell out of the theater, then  you probably should not recommend it to others.
I respectfully withdraw my nomination.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #54 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 2:04pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

From Fantasia last night:  Bounty Killer, a post-apocalyptic action-comedy where the title characters hunt down the white-collar criminals responsible for the devastation around them.  Action packed (10pm-or-later for the mayhem) and funny without mocking its genre.  It hits video in late October (there may be a quick theatrical/VOD release in September), but might not get a lot of notice.  Fun, though.

IP Logged

Reply #55 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 6:58am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Another one from Fantasia that would probably slot better into the festival: OXV: The Manual, a very nifty alternate-reality story from the UK which starts as a romance between two people that the universe is trying to keep apart, gets bigger, but never loses track of them.  Sort of like Dimensions, but contemporary and with more payoff to its cleverness.

IP Logged

Reply #56 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 12:16am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

It has been a pretty great week for sci-fi here in the surprisingly chilly North.  I finished the day off with The Machine, a pretty fantastic bit of smart cyberpunk action out of Wales that is harsh and dark without being anti-science or stupid.  It's also got a nifty turn by Denis Lawson (best known as Wedge Antilles in the Star Wars movies) as the villain.

Didn't start out quite so great, as I wasn't a big fan of I'll Follow You Down, although the guy I saw it with raved.  Nice cast for the time travel drama, with Haley Joel Osment, Gillian Anderson, Rufus Sewell, and Victor Garber.

Also, I'm not sure which made my mind rebel more:  Grown-up and hairy Haley Joel Osment or the kid they had playing his character as an elementary-schooler, as he really doesn't look much like what HJO looked like at that age.

IP Logged

Reply #57 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 12:10pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thanks for the reports.

Jay Seaver wrote on Jul 26th, 2013 at 12:16am:
It has been a pretty great week for sci-fi here in the surprisingly chilly North.  I finished the day off with The Machine, a pretty fantastic bit of smart cyberpunk action out of Wales that is harsh and dark without being anti-science or stupid.  It's also got a nifty turn by Denis Lawson (best known as Wedge Antilles in the Star Wars movies) as the villain.

Didn't start out quite so great, as I wasn't a big fan of I'll Follow You Down, although the guy I saw it with raved.  Nice cast for the time travel drama, with Haley Joel Osment, Gillian Anderson, Rufus Sewell, and Victor Garber.

Also, I'm not sure which made my mind rebel more:  Grown-up and hairy Haley Joel Osment or the kid they had playing his character as an elementary-schooler, as he really doesn't look much like what HJO looked like at that age.

IP Logged

Reply #58 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 11:37am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Bushido Man:  Not really that science-fictional in itself (there are references to a SF-ish world, but they don't really affect the story), but an apt reminder that we really should play the director's Hard Revenge Milly pair sometime.  It'd be fun - the original 44 minute part toward the start, the 72-minute follow-up "Bloody Battle" later.

Vessel:  A fairly decent Aussie entry in the "may be science fiction, may be mental illness" genre.

IP Logged

Reply #59 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 11:37am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Just out for limited theatrical run and flying under the radar is Europa Report.
Got some very good reviews, though a few have said it's a bit slow because it tries to show a space mission realistically.

Trailer here

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9