WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Ideas/Suggestions for SF/39 Feb. 2014! (Read 86665 times)
Reply #105 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 3:00pm

Jon   Offline
MA

RE:  Atomic Café

I love this film.  While it, along with a number of other notable movies, doesn't quite know when to end, it has some absolutely mind-blowing scenes, and I'd love to see it again on a big screen.  Of course, we must bear in mind that, as much as it seems science-fictitious today, it really isn't, which makes it all the more unsettling and bizarre.  The fact that I (and many others) remember bits of it from life makes it yet more discomforting.

...Jus' sayin....

IP Logged

Reply #106 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 6:54pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Jon wrote on Dec 19th, 2013 at 3:00pm:

I love this film.  While it, along with a number of other notable movies, doesn't quite know when to end, it has some absolutely mind-blowing scenes, and I'd love to see it again on a big screen.  Of course, we must bear in mind that, as much as it seems science-fictitious today, it really isn't, which makes it all the more unsettling and bizarre.  The fact that I (and many others) remember bits of it from life makes it yet more discomforting.

...Jus' sayin....

i'm sorry but in "atomic cafe" a government official said that if you were 10 miles from the center of an h-bomb blast you would stand a very good chance of survival. then a n anti nuke spokesman says "an h-bomb will ignite a 400 square miles and create a massive firestorm"
statement 2 does not disprove statement 1. the square root of 400/PI = 11.5 which is approximately 10.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #107 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 5:02pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Jon wrote on Dec 19th, 2013 at 3:00pm:

...Jus' sayin....

I'd also add that it's a pretty nice place to eat.
http://www.atomicafe.com/pdf/atomicmenu_Beverly.pdf

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #108 - Dec 29th, 2013 at 12:44pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Not being willing to give up easily, I've posted a second set of trailers for my SF39 movie suggestions on the "YouTube Goodness" section of this board.
Be sure to check 'em both out .

IP Logged

Reply #109 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 2:37pm

kickdacatt   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
New York

Quote:
The hilarious thing is, the last time he said something like that, it was about them almost getting coverage!  NPR almost covered it last year!

Not sure how useful it would be, anyway - who's going to buy a ticket because they heard about the Alien Mating Cry contest eleven months ago?

I think you don't quite understand the actual usefulness of press.  It's not just to sell tickets 11 months later. Let's put aside for a moment whether we get the press or not (even though it's obnoxious of you to be sneering "almost" at the attempts when it would only be promoting something we all enjoy and love.)

Press and media impressions are critical when attempting to attract sponsors/sponsorships. Garen has been protective of the 'Thon brand and his brand stewardship has tried to include meaningful partnerships (some of which you will see this year.)

Additionally, press impressions, or being able to show that the 'Thon, received press would help Garen and his team acquire some films a bit more easily and even potentially be able to show a premiere (this is a bit more ambitious but could be a possibility at some point.)

The more ammunition Garen has that can demonstrate that the 'Thon lives outside the small subset of people who attend it and that it genuinely garners attention from media outlets the more opportunities he would have to improve the experience for all of us.

Ticket sales are never going to help expand the 'Thon experience if you do the math.  Sponsorships, advertising and partnerships are the method by which a better, less tin-foil-hat oriented, event will take place.  That only happens when an organization sees a benefit beyond the 600+ people who attend.

It's just a matter of looking at the bigger picture.

IP Logged

Reply #110 - Jan 9th, 2014 at 1:24am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Fair enough in a vacuum; in the case of an event that is years past the point where much of the audience is seeing it as a potty break at best and whose participation is dwindling, hearing "hey, NPR almost came out to do a story" is pretty weak.

Press and media impressions are important, though, and I personally think they could be improved immensely by getting the website up to scratch (though it is better now than it has been for many years, it still has plenty of dead links, missing graphics, and poor design).  A year where something is not called a local/national premiere when it isn't would probably help out with press/media credibility, too.

I get that Garen wants to forge partnerships and raise the event's profile, and believe me, nobody wants that to happen more than I do.  I also think that he chooses some extremely frustrating and counter-productive ways of doing it, whether it be continuing to emphasize bits that the audience mostly doesn't enjoy, doing a poor job of communication (either through the website or other media), or other fairly questionable decisions, and when he stands up in front of the audience and acts like shortcoming are virtues, I don't think a little sarcasm in my reaction is out of line.

IP Logged

Reply #111 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 1:31pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Anyone that believes the the on-going success of this thing is hinged upon having a contest, that everyone I have ever spoken to about this matter dislikes (except our fearless leader), is nuts.
I bet there are a dozen other contests that would be less painful to sit through and garner as much media mention as the AMC.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #112 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 6:24pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I have Caleb's back on this one.  We could have any number of other contests that would be far less painful and more prize worthy.  It's not a deal breaker, but the AMC will always be near or at the top of my incredibly short list of things I dislike about the marathon.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #113 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 9:15pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

We've had other contests in the past and they seem to have gone by the wayside. Don't know why this has stuck around.

IP Logged

Reply #114 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 10:44pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Jan 14th, 2014 at 6:24pm:
I have Caleb's back on this one.  We could have any number of other contests that would be far less painful and more prize worthy.  It's not a deal breaker, but the AMC will always be near or at the top of my incredibly short list of things I dislike about the marathon. 

That's the ticket! Frank can REFUSE to give out prizes for it! No prizes! End of contest!

IP Logged

Reply #115 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 5:36am

Rich Bartlett   Offline

Someone suggested to me that an alien mating dance contest would be a little less painful than the AMC.

IP Logged

Reply #116 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 9:43am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Who exactly is in charge of deciding what contests (if any) will take place at the marathon?

IP Logged

Reply #117 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 10:05am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 9:43am:
Who exactly is in charge of deciding what contests (if any) will take place at the marathon?

Garen.
     I agree that the contests are lame, but they serve one very important function: they provide long & well-needed breaks for the people who want to see the movies all through, as well as the person who is running those movies.
     Fifteen minutes off-screen is nothing to sneeze at when the lines start forming at the loo.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #118 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 11:34am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Nobody is really questioning the value of having such contests. Just this particular one.

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 10:05am:

Garen.
     I agree that the contests are lame, but they serve one very important function: they provide long & well-needed breaks for the people who want to see the movies all through, as well as the person who is running those movies.
     Fifteen minutes off-screen is nothing to sneeze at when the lines start forming at the loo.

IP Logged

Reply #119 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 2:23pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 11:34am:
Nobody is really questioning the value of having such contests. Just this particular one.

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 10:05am:

Garen.

You know how I feel about marathon traditions, a contest or two is good for making this more than a bunch of people watching films on a really big couch.

Maybe its more a matter of someone else planning and getting the word out ahead of time (if needed.)
The mating call contest is pretty generic, but its something to get the crowd involved and one less thing Garen has to plan. Other than allow some scheduled time for it.

Why not change it to a sound alike contest. We've got the Daleks this year but there's almost always something in some film fans can imitate.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9