WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Ideas/Suggestions for SF/39 Feb. 2014! (Read 86875 times)
Reply #60 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 11:48am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

It's opening here on Friday. But, strangely only on one small arthouse screen.

My biggest concern is that it's another "found footage" film. A subgenre that is getting a ridiculous number of entries........

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jul 30th, 2013 at 11:37am:
Just out for limited theatrical run and flying under the radar is Europa Report.
Got some very good reviews, though a few have said it's a bit slow because it tries to show a space mission realistically.

Trailer here

IP Logged

Reply #61 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 3:01pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Scheduled to open at Kendall Square in Cambridge on 9 August.

IP Logged

Reply #62 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 12:29am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Antisocial:  More horror than sci-fi, but does have a nice twenty-first century spin on the zombie/infected tropes.  I mention it mainly because one of the main characters is named "Mark" and I am reasonably sure that I would murder someone by the end of any marathon showing.  So, please, maybe consider it for next year's festival, but not the thon unless you want blood on your hands.

(Though I argue the dead man would have had it coming)

IP Logged

Reply #63 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 6:03am

kirok   Offline
God Member

MARK!

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #64 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 12:57pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Approximately, how many times do they utter Mark's name? Not sure if we outta make up a small-midsize-or large "MARK" sign!

Lips Sealed

Jay Seaver wrote on Aug 1st, 2013 at 12:29am:
Antisocial:  More horror than sci-fi, but does have a nice twenty-first century spin on the zombie/infected tropes.  I mention it mainly because one of the main characters is named "Mark" and I am reasonably sure that I would murder someone by the end of any marathon showing.  So, please, maybe consider it for next year's festival, but not the thon unless you want blood on your hands.

(Though I argue the dead man would have had it coming)

« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2013 at 2:29pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #65 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 10:17pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jul 30th, 2013 at 11:48am:
It's opening here on Friday. But, strangely only on one small arthouse screen.

My biggest concern is that it's another "found footage" film. A subgenre that is getting a ridiculous number of entries........

This one does make some sense though since there is no shaky hand held type footage. The found footage is just the cameras in place to record the mission.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #66 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 12:47am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

kirok wrote on Aug 1st, 2013 at 6:03am:
MARK!

Yes, annoying people would be yelling that out because it was briefly funny twenty plus years ago.  Thanks for demonstrating.

The Dead Experiment: Possible festival fodder, mildly interesting for being done by someone with an actual science background rather than someone who took Physics for Poets in college and got a C.  It's pretty dry, though, and  of the sort where afterward you basically say it's not bad for beginners with no money and hope the second feature where they hopefully have some more resources goes better.

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 10:47am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

More from Fantasia:

HK: Forbidden Super Hero: Only barely sci-fi if you want to squint a little, but this story of a mild-mannered son of a detective and a dominatrix who gains superpowers by wearing panties on his face is as funny as it is in bad taste.  Plus, plenty of beefcake for the ladies and guys whose interests run that way.

009 Re: Cyborg:  Pretty darn good new animated version of a 1960s manga meant to play off American superhero comics.  It keeps a lot of the mythology (without requiring it) but re-imagines it as something very contemporary and action-packed; I liked it a lot.

5-25-77:  A work-in-progress cut of this movie about how director Patrick Read Johnson became the first Star Wars fan, which will apparently finally see release next year after shooting in 2005-2006.  It's sweet and often very funny, with a ton of manic energy in the first half or so before kind of running around in circles a bit in the second, but I think it will play well for the 'thon audience in 2015.

IP Logged

Reply #68 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 12:03am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I think these are the last sci-fi films I have on my Fantasia schedule.  Well, for seeing here; I've got screeners to go through, too.

Go Down Death: Technically sci-fi, as I gather it's supposed to take place in a post-apocalyptic world.  But, really, just a bit of weird-for-the-sake-of-weird stuff.

Plus One:  A college-party type movie with time travel/duplicates going on.  I had fun, but it's a bit on the crude side and I don't think it actually makes sense or pays off.  Kind of interesting in that it's produced by two visual effects companies apparently looking to control their destiny a bit more (including the one that did Skyline), but I don't know if it fits this audience.

IP Logged

Reply #69 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 2:51am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay,how many total films did you see over the last 2 weeks there?

Wow, lotsa stamina!

IP Logged

Reply #70 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 8:59am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Call it 65 in three weeks - 68 festival screenings and 2 press screenings, but some were shorts and some were cases where I hit the wall and fell asleep.  There's a few online festival screeners I'll try and get to after I get home.

(Aside:  I'm not sure why I've never seen Garen up here.  Montreal isn't a terrible drive from NH, there's plenty of other festivals scouting movies, and it would actually let him contact some indie/foreign genre filmmakers rather than just hope something good shows up on withoutabox)

Oh, and missed one:

The World's End:  The new Wright/Pegg/Frost joint started off a bit rough for me - it's one of the few times I can remember that Simon Pegg hasn't played a character that was fairly likable from the start - but once it gets going and the pub crawl turns into a race to escape and smash robots, it becomes a lot more fun.  By now, these guys are pretty much trusted and they earn it with a very funny sci-fi comedy.

IP Logged

Reply #71 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 12:03am

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

Ok, here are a few ideas for you:

First of all, I definitely have to put in a second vote for Europa Report. It's a much more intelligent sci-fi than most of what we've gotten this past summer and actually makes a real attempt to ground everything that's happening in genuine scientific principles. Plus the found-footage aspect is actually very well done and actually relates to the theme of the film.

Also, since it hasn't played the marathon in a while, how about Lifeforce for the late night/bug-nuts crazy entry? It showed at Coolidge Corner last October, though I can't verify if it was 35mm or not.

There's also Shane Carruth's Upstream Color, although that might only be available digitally given its very limited theatrical run.

Also, this might not be the most popular comment, but might it be possible to cut down on the number of festival films that are shown as part of the marathon? One is fine or possibly even two if they are really high-quality, but having three of them last year was rough, particularly when Woman in the Moon and Hands of Orlac, both of which I would have been much more interested in seeing, got bumped for Motivational Growth, which I don't think I'm alone in feeling wasn't up to par. I understand it's important to support the festival but it putting these films in a position where they're going to be judged against more established (and usually beloved) films isn't doing them any favors.

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 6:58am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I'm also on record supporting EUROPA REPORT. It's a bit slow for the Marathon crowd, but it's quality should outweigh that. UPSTREAM COLOR, I think, would just confound folks.

LIFEFORCE not only has 35mm prints, but 70mm! One of these years, 70 will hopefully be installed.

I think LIFEFORCE is a wretched film, save for:

UncleTim wrote on Aug 21st, 2013 at 12:03am:
Ok, here are a few ideas for you:

First of all, I definitely have to put in a second vote for Europa Report. It's a much more intelligent sci-fi than most of what we've gotten this past summer and actually makes a real attempt to ground everything that's happening in genuine scientific principles. Plus the found-footage aspect is actually very well done and actually relates to the theme of the film.

Also, since it hasn't played the marathon in a while, how about Lifeforce for the late night/bug-nuts crazy entry? It showed at Coolidge Corner last October, though I can't verify if it was 35mm or not.

There's also Shane Carruth's Upstream Color, although that might only be available digitally given its very limited theatrical run.

Also, this might not be the most popular comment, but might it be possible to cut down on the number of festival films that are shown as part of the marathon? One is fine or possibly even two if they are really high-quality, but having three of them last year was rough, particularly when Woman in the Moon and Hands of Orlac, both of which I would have been much more interested in seeing, got bumped for Motivational Growth, which I don't think I'm alone in feeling wasn't up to par. I understand it's important to support the festival but it putting these films in a position where they're going to be judged against more established (and usually beloved) films isn't doing them any favors.

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2013 at 11:41pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #73 - Aug 25th, 2013 at 7:56pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

The theme of SF39 is robots.
Okay, got THAT joke out of the way.
With one of Asimov's law of robotics written on the tickets it may just be that a theme has been decided so let's try some films on that theme for a bit.

I'd like to say that Worlds End would fit in perfect. Even though they are not robots.
It's funny, and with a lot of the same tone that made Attack The Block go over so well.
Plus with it being released at this time its not going to be a blockbuster so a lot of folks will have not seen it.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #74 - Aug 25th, 2013 at 8:12pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Could this be the year we finally see the 1973 "Westworld"?

Rumor has it a "reimagining" remake is in the works.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475784/?ref_=rvi_tt
If they blow it I'll be steamed! Shocked

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9