WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Ideas/Suggestions for SF/39 Feb. 2014! (Read 86859 times)
Reply #30 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 9:11pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

[/quote] I will keep that in mind and as always your contributions to the prizes is always appreciated.  A few folks have kindly donated prizes to me to give away.  [/quote]

I just like giving a little something back to an event I've enjoyed for more than half my life now. Smiley
Plus it's fun looking for interesting videos at cheap prices.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 8:27pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Okay getting back to films for SF39, Frank posted a nice link to The Brattle's Schlock Around The Clock weekend. http://brattlefilm.org/category/calendar-2/special-engagements/schlock-around-th...
Of special interest is them showing 35mm prints of "Dr Who & The Daleks" and "Dredd" (At least according to the schedule.
I know we're always looking for those increasingly rare film prints.
Plus also they're showing "Trailer War" (digital) from Alamo films which also might work out for us. I have a DVD copy and it's pretty wild even if not totally sci-fi.

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 12:02am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

From what Ned said while introducing Carnival of Souls Friday night, it sounds like he/the Brattle purchased the IB Technicolor print of Doctor Who and the Daleks  that they're showing, so it might not be hard to dig up in the future (though I may have mis-heard).  Supposed to look pretty nice, at least - for a Schlock-Around-The-Clock weekend, they've had some pretty nice prints.

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 9:35am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The DR.WHO screening has been duly noted.  Wink

And, speaking of CARNIVAL SOULS, my writing partner and I have just completed a long piece on the story behind the film. I will update when it is published.

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 4:37pm

gaffed   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

How about a fireball competition?  See who can hold 5 fireballs in their mouth for the longest time.  The 'thon could become the home of the world record.  I'm betting it would average about 5 minutes each year. Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 8:25pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Don't want to rush things, but.
One thing we might want to do for SF39 is print up a checklist of ALL films that have played SF1-39.
"Bob" willing  (I am a SubGenius minister y'know) 2015 will see the marathon turning the BIG Four Oh. Having the crowd vote on what films they'd like to see would be nice. Plus a good way to add new e-mails to the database.

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 10:44pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

It's a solid idea. It hasn't been done formally since SF/10, I believe. I also do know, that some of the survey results did affect later programming.

And, we long-time Marathon attendees have to keep in mind that a good percentage of Marathoners haven't attended longer than a decade. So, some of the films we feel may be rehashed and a bit tired, might still be fresh to the relative newbies.

da_Bunnyman wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 8:25pm:
Don't want to rush things, but.
One thing we might want to do for SF39 is print up a checklist of ALL films that have played SF1-39.
"Bob" willing  (I am a SubGenius minister y'know) 2015 will see the marathon turning the BIG Four Oh. Having the crowd vote on what films they'd like to see would be nice. Plus a good way to add new e-mails to the database. 

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 3:46pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Question to LA & any other relevant organism.
What sort of suggestions would be of real help to the selection process?
Most of us here can make wacko suggestions, suggest themes or otherwise exercise our egos/preferences to a level that would be of little help but significantly fill cyberspace.
Some have access or knowledge of rare stuff in ways that could be of real utility (not me.)
But are there any other ideas/ suggestions that would be of real help? Want something researched?  Prefer ideas now, not 8 months from now, when they are really too late? Want lists of every Hammer, Roger Corman epic or some other piece of information that would help you fill a hole in the schedule? I have made a few suggestions previously and do have an inclination to post repeats of what I would like ti see. But is there anything that would actually help you do your work?

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 4:49pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Mostly, it's a wish list kind of thing. Occasionally, there will be a groundswell of support for something that has been overlooked or is timely to show (i.e. SHRINKING MAN this year, 12 MONKEYS, FORBIDDEN PLANET after Anne Francis' passing etc.).

HOWEVER, the most helpful of all suggestions are those that have a screening attached to them with, especially, a 35MM PRINT being noted. Web links to the screening and the movie theater are greatly appreciated.

keep watching the screens!

pogo wrote on Apr 20th, 2013 at 3:46pm:
Question to LA & any other relevant organism.
What sort of suggestions would be of real help to the selection process?
Most of us here can make wacko suggestions, suggest themes or otherwise exercise our egos/preferences to a level that would be of little help but significantly fill cyberspace.
Some have access or knowledge of rare stuff in ways that could be of real utility (not me.)
But are there any other ideas/ suggestions that would be of real help? Want something researched?  Prefer ideas now, not 8 months from now, when they are really too late? Want lists of every Hammer, Roger Corman epic or some other piece of information that would help you fill a hole in the schedule? I have made a few suggestions previously and do have an inclination to post repeats of what I would like ti see. But is there anything that would actually help you do your work?

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 2:28pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

This is not the real forum for suggestions if you are trying to get to Garen.  What happens here is you get to Tony or someone else who can get to Garen and it gets passed along.  You best best IMHO is to post it here and repeat on the Boston Sci-Fi Fest facebook page.  No guarantees but two chances are better than one.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #40 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 2:33pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

That's a big 10-4, Frank!

Wink

Frank wrote on Apr 21st, 2013 at 2:28pm:
This is not the real forum for suggestions if you are trying to get to Garen.  What happens here is you get to Tony or someone else who can get to Garen and it gets passed along.  You best best IMHO is to post it here and repeat on the Boston Sci-Fi Fest facebook page.  No guarantees but two chances are better than one. 

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 7:58pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Yeah I figure this is a good sounding board for ideas especially for movie titles. Rather than trying to throw a long list at Garen we can post it here and get comments on it.
Plus as you said, Tony can pick out interesting titles to pass those on.

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 12:10pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

2012 Oscar Nominee,
TIME FREAK!!!

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #43 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 8:17pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Apr 21st, 2013 at 7:58pm:
Yeah I figure this is a good sounding board for ideas especially for movie titles. Rather than trying to throw a long list at Garen we can post it here and get comments on it.
Plus as you said, Tony can pick out interesting titles to pass those on.

As someone who also has G's ear I can tell you that this is a tactical error.  Garen likes to have indivuidual suggestions.  It goes over much better when separate suggestions for the same film are sent into G.  As always, do as you will.  Besides, no one is suggesting throwing a long list at Garen.  Suggest one or two folms that you would really like to see or something that you have a line on......

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #44 - Jun 27th, 2013 at 2:22pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

pogo wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 10:58am:
Someone has to start it. Since I expect to make the long trek to see the Boston Thon again next year, I have a particularly vested interest.
The American Astronaut (2001)
Absolutely non-genre and perhaps annoyingly odd, it certainly suggests almost no other film. Got nominated for a few prizes. Perhaps Josh Whedon was influenced by it? Here's a description.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_American_Astronaut
Note: I know where there's a 35mm print.

Note: Post combined with existing thread - Admin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9