WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Ideas/Suggestions for SF/39 Feb. 2014! (Read 86663 times)
Reply #15 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:31am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Lile wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 2:28pm:
One thing that disappeared this year was the trivia quiz, I didn't notice it at the 'thon. I've liked it more than the Alien Mating Call or the Tin Foil hat contest.

I have a great idea for trivia for next year (and beyond if it works)
It's called "The Earth Observer Corps" and would consist of silhouettes of spaceships from sci-fi films. Made into smallish posters with 4-5 ships per poster, and put up in places in the theater, idea would be for fans to ID the ships. That would give 8-10 questions right there.
What do you think?

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 10:09pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:31am:
Lile wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 2:28pm:
One thing that disappeared this year was the trivia quiz, I didn't notice it at the 'thon. I've liked it more than the Alien Mating Call or the Tin Foil hat contest.

I have a great idea for trivia for next year (and beyond if it works)
It's called "The Earth Observer Corps" and would consist of silhouettes of spaceships from sci-fi films. Made into smallish posters with 4-5 ships per poster, and put up in places in the theater, idea would be for fans to ID the ships. That would give 8-10 questions right there.
What do you think?

I did something similar a few years back with screen shots from various movies.  Let me tell you there were no runaway winners.  This is not a bad idea at all except we would have to limit prizes to the top ten winners or something along those lines.....

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 9:19pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

"I did something similar a few years back with screen shots from various movies.  Let me tell you there were no runaway winners.  This is not a bad idea at all except we would have to limit prizes to the top ten winners or something along those lines....."

It'd be like the trivia of past years where the earliest entries get the prizes.
OR
1-2 ships per poster and change posters after certain movies (Major Tom could announce posting will happen after next film.)

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 9:30pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Not averse to any of the suggestions so far.

But, I think the problem is more basic - not enough advance notice and promotion (that word, again).

I'd don't think the contests were ever really mentioned on Facebook or the Main Site. So, if you didn't go to the Marathon before, you probably wouldn't even know about the contests in advance.
Further, although Frank is the man as far as cool prizes go, there are other events where the Costume Contest winner will get hundreds of dollars worth of prizes. Free passes to the next year's show. Photographs touting the winners on the website and in promotional materials  etc etc. If you want somebody to spend real time, money and effort to put together a top flight costume, they have to know about it well in advance and make it really worth their while. And, as Frank mentioned RE: the FORBIDDEN PLANET poster, most of the entries we get aren't really worthy of such a top prize.

Otherwise, you get a situation where THREE people (out of 500+) grab a roll of Reynolds Wrap, fold it,  and plop it on their head the morning of the show.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 10:37pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

I would like to go on record as saying I hope that the costume contest (or any of the contests) doesn't get expanded into a bigger production. I vote we stay focused on the films. That's the reason I'm there, the rest is just noise.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 11:13pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 9:30pm:
Not averse to any of the suggestions so far.

But, I think the problem is more basic - not enough advance notice and promotion (that word, again).

I'd don't think the contests were ever really mentioned on Facebook or the Main Site. So, if you didn't go to the Marathon before, you probably wouldn't even know about the contests in advance.
Further, although Frank is the man as far as cool prizes go, there are other events where the Costume Contest winner will get hundreds of dollars worth of prizes. Free passes to the next year's show. Photographs touting the winners on the website and in promotional materials  etc etc. If you want somebody to spend real time, money and effort to put together a top flight costume, they have to know about it well in advance and make it really worth their while. And, as Frank mentioned RE: the FORBIDDEN PLANET poster, most of the entries we get aren't really worthy of such a top prize.

Otherwise, you get a situation where THREE people (out of 500+) grab a roll of Reynolds Wrap, fold it,  and plop it on their head the morning of the show.

Hundreds of dollars???? sure at large cons where there are thousands of people attending.  I don't see that happening here.   It should not happen here either.  The contests do not need to be expanded into big deals.  I also don't think that we should up the ante in order to imporve the contests.  If the contest generates no interest, jettison the contest.  The contests have always been a pleasant diversion and should stay that way.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 5:48pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Problem with trying to do a costume contest is either the person is stuck in that costume for the entire marathon or we need to provide a place to change.
Tinfoil hats and alien mating call may be silly contests but they're easy for someone to put together even if it's after they arrive at the marathon. Plus they're easy to judge, just leave it up to applause.

Trivia does require someone to judge answers.
If we can commit to some advance promotion I can think of a couple of easy contests.
I think Frank does a fantastic job on the prizes and the goodie bags (a bit messed up this year because of the storm and early opening.)
Actually I think there was supposed to some prizes awarded at random just for people signing up for the e-mail list, lack of announcements may have kept the sign ups down in number.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 8:20pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 13th, 2013 at 5:48pm:
Problem with trying to do a costume contest is either the person is stuck in that costume for the entire marathon or we need to provide a place to change.
Tinfoil hats and alien mating call may be silly contests but they're easy for someone to put together even if it's after they arrive at the marathon. Plus they're easy to judge, just leave it up to applause.

Trivia does require someone to judge answers.
If we can commit to some advance promotion I can think of a couple of easy contests.
I think Frank does a fantastic job on the prizes and the goodie bags (a bit messed up this year because of the storm and early opening.)
Actually I think there was supposed to some prizes awarded at random just for people signing up for the e-mail list, lack of announcements may have kept the sign ups down in number.

That random prizes bit was never passed on to me so it never happened.  Too bad, I had a ton of smaller goofy stuff to hand out.  Well we learn from our gaffes hopefully.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 11:17am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

[/quote]
That random prizes bit was never passed on to me so it never happened.  Too bad, I had a ton of smaller goofy stuff to hand out.  Well we learn from our gaffes hopefully. [/quote]

Yep, was not blaming anyone, just mentioning it.

Course the purpose to doing that would have been to collect e-mail addresses which in turn could be used for sending info for next year.

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 12:52am

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

I was blown away this year at how perfectly the items in my goody bag fit my personality.

It wasn't until after I got back to NY that I noticed my name written in small letters on the back of the envelope.

Frank, your attention to detail, the love you and Fran bring to this event in terms of decor and prizes, and your friendship are among the things I hold most dear about the Marathon!

Thanks for gurly pictures!

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 7:14am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

It has been a pleasure and a privilege to be able to give something back to an event that has brought me joy since 1978.   The thon has led to some great friendships over the years. It's what I love most about the event and why the crows is as important to me as are the movies.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 6:31pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Yeah Frank, add me as another big fan of the goodie bags. Over the years I've found everything from a DVD to a bag of plastic dinosaurs in them. Plus always some fun old random comics to look through. Opening them is something my friends & I look forward to as soon as we find our seats.

BTW, just for history, what year did you start them?

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 9:02pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I started loaning posters at SF 10.  At SF13 someone stole a couple of original lobby cards, including one of my favorites from It! The Terror From Beyond Space,and I stopped.  I then started giving out prizes at SF27.  I started loaning the posters out again at SF 29.  When we moved to West Newton I began the loot bags figuring I could give everyone something.  I have been handing out the loot bags since SF29.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 9:50pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Mar 15th, 2013 at 9:02pm:
I started loaning posters at SF 10.  At SF13 someone stole a couple of original lobby cards, including one of my favorites from It! The Terror From Beyond Space,and I stopped.  I then started giving out prizes at SF27.  I started loaning the posters out again at SF 29.  When we moved to West Newton I began the loot bags figuring I could give everyone something.  I have been handing out the loot bags since SF29. 

Hey, so SF39 will be the 10th anniversary of the loot bags. COOL!
Just a thought, maybe next year do a random drawing for a special one as part of the prizes.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 10:29pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 15th, 2013 at 9:50pm:
Frank wrote on Mar 15th, 2013 at 9:02pm:

Hey, so SF39 will be the 10th anniversary of the loot bags. COOL!
Just a thought, maybe next year do a random drawing for a special one as part of the prizes.

I will keep that in mind and as always your contributions to the prizes is always appreciated.  A few folks have kindly donated prizes to me to give away.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9