WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
SF38 in review (Read 52875 times)
Reply #15 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 12:10am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 10:16pm:
The thing was, V For Vendetta was the only one of the Blu-ray sourced things that really looked that bad in that particular way to me, to the point where I checked to see what it was shot on when I got home and was kind of surprised to see 35mm (which then got its resolution reduced to 2K by the DI).  Whatever the case, it looked weird.

*Sigh*  Cry
     Okay. Now, without meaning any intentional insult, what youre reading above is what happens when people who dont have any great technical or photographic knowledge draw incorrect conclusions based on what they dont understand.  (Again, no disrespect.)
     The piece of critical information youre missing, Jay, is that digital image reproduction cannot yet handle blacks.  When presented with deep black, the computer doesnt know what do with it, so if you look closely at some older DVDs (before they started revising the codecs), youll see that the black areas (shadows, for instance, or night scenes) have a lot of digital noise in them, which is known as "artifacting."  It's distracting & it's ugly (and you can see it in DCPs as well, but DCIs play tricks with the gamma to disguise it).
     Which means that transferring a very dark film like V for Vendetta presents a problem (not for film, which can easily handle rich blacks, but for digital, which cant).  Do it straight, & you end up with horribly ugly artifacts all over every scene; therefore, in order to avoid that, they lowered the contrast.  Think of your old B&W teevee: remember the brightness knob?  Remember when you turned it, everything turned white & flat, & all detail was lost?  Same thing here: by decreasing the gamma, & increasing the white level, they created a low-contrast transfer to avoid all the digital noise.
     To you, that looked "weird."  To me, who ran a film print of this title for weeks, it looked like garbage as compared to the print.  And this is typical, which is why people ought to be screaming at the top of their lungs about this.
     If I find someone who owns a copy, I'll let you know.  Youll see the difference, all right.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 8:24am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

R_F_Fineman wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 11:05pm:
[quote]
Thanks to [b]you too
Bunnyman. Leading the crowd sing-along with "High Hopes" really brought energy to a sleepy "Phase IV" crowd. Maybe I will play "Happy Trails" next year in your honor. Smiley

Sorry to say that was not me leading the sing along (I was napping upstairs.)

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 11:12am

Jon   Offline
MA

Hmmm.  I thought that the "sing-along" was just a spontaneous bit of vocalization at the time.  I was happy to join in, of course, and knew the lyrics because I  saw that particualr Sinatra film at close to the same time frame I experienced the Incredible Shrinking Man as a first-run movie -- when I was about 12 years old.  (Oops, giving away my real age...  Like nobody knew....) Wink

This was a very well plotted 'Thon.  I found I had little time for meals and breaks as I wanted to catch pretty much everything on the schedule. (Couldn't have known about that mold thing, or I might have been able to have a good looooong nap at that point.  As much as I dislike Hands of Orlac and as much as most would've hated the over-long Frau Im Monde, they're both more edifying than Motivational Growth.  I can only hope its Gort award works politically as Garen hopes it will for the betterment of the Festival's future iterations - though this year was pretty darned good!)  Now if we can just re-calibrate Weather Control a bit....
RIP, SF 38.  Long live SF39!

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 8:04pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Some random replies...

kirok wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:27pm:
7 of the 12 features had shooting, explosions, blood, canon fire, machine guns, knives, more blood, building collapse etc..
i'm sure this was an unintentional oversight but i felt i was in a war movie marathon, not a sic-fi marathon.

Hey, I've said this for a long time. An inordinate percentage of modern SF films are just action films dressed up with science fiction trappings. Look at the lineups of any marathon from the recent past and its pretty much the same story, not to mention the Box Office in general. Just look at the Saturn Awards Best SF Film nominees this year: "The Avengers","Chronicle","Cloud Atlas","The Hunger Games", "Looper", "Prometheus - Every one of them would qualify in some way or another in your definition.

Dinsdale wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 7:23pm:

V For Vendetta - A likeable film, SF? Not so sure.

1984-ish future/alternate society films are generally considered squarely within the SF genre. Did anyone else catch the irony of John Hurt playing 'Big Brother' in VENDETTA and having played Winston Smith in the 80s version of 1984??! 
Smiley

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 18th, 2013 at 11:00pm:
The Twilight Zone:  "Time Enough at Last" - Nice half-hour story.  I hope the guy who yelled out at the end got beaten up by his neighbors but good.  Sure, it probably wasn't a spoiler for most of the crowd, but there's something to be said for just experiencing the movie as opposed to showing how clever and aware you are...

Totally agree, the "Glasses!" shout-out was by an A-Hole who deserves a VERY uncomfortable space in Marathon Hell alongside the dingleberry who kept shouting out "Yabba Dabba Do!" every time the leader of the workers appeared in METROPOLIS many years ago at the 'thon.

David the Projectionist wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 12:10am:

... The piece of critical information youre missing, Jay, is that digital image reproduction cannot yet handle blacks.  When presented with deep black, the computer doesnt know what do with it, so if you look closely at some older DVDs (before they started revising the codecs), youll see that the black areas (shadows, for instance, or night scenes) have a lot of digital noise in them, which is known as "artifacting."  It's distracting & it's ugly (and you can see it in DCPs as well, but DCIs play tricks with the gamma to disguise it).
     Which means that transferring a very dark film like V for Vendetta presents a problem (not for film, which can easily handle rich blacks, but for digital, which cant).  Do it straight, & you end up with horribly ugly artifacts all over every scene; therefore, in order to avoid that, they lowered the contrast.  Think of your old B&W teevee: remember the brightness knob?  Remember when you turned it, everything turned white & flat, & all detail was lost?  Same thing here: by decreasing the gamma, & increasing the white level, they created a low-contrast transfer to avoid all the digital noise...

David, this is truly one of the better layman's terms explanations of why Digital looks so 'milky'. Digital compression also explains why some like Jay may have felt the Production Design looked less than impressive. Digital tends to flatten the depth of field and kind of washes out details (VENDETTA looked quite good in 35mm upon its initial release.
Anybody with keen eyesight must have noticed the dramatic difference in the blackness level between VENDETTA and the film prints of ESCAPE/L.A. and FIFTH ELEMENT that followed it.

It's a phenomenon I first noticed back in the early days of digital with PHANTOM MENACE. There was a scene in a meeting room that had a giant window looking out to a city scape. It was painfully obvious that the digital rendering simply could not handle the contrast between the darkly lit meeting room and the bright candy-colored view outside. I can't imagine what the opening scene in THE GODFATHER must look like!! (Brando in the super dark room stroking his cat contrasted with the bright windows full of afternoon sunlight).
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2013 at 4:37pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 10:14pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Minor point and maybe it would not have made any difference but no one made an announcement about not going overboard on the snarking.
We had a LOT of new people this year which is great for the health of the marathon.
But new people may not understand that we view and react to something like Reptilicus different from something like Shrinking Man.
Actually I wonder what the heck they thought was happening with our Chex cheer?
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2013 at 6:00pm by da_Bunnyman »  

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 10:24pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 8:04pm:
I can't imagine what the opening scene in THE GODFATHER must look like!! (Brando in the super dark room stroking his cat contrasted with the bright windows full of afternoon sunlight).

Sure you can!  Rent a DVD of it & see!
     Remember that all the original prints of The Godfather were struck using the (unfortunately) now-extinct IB Technicolor process, and nothing produced deeper, richer, denser blacks than that!
     The new prints Ive run look comparatively thin and grainy (and you also have to take into account some colour shifting in the negative).  But even thats better than the digital transfers Ive seen!

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 10:42pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

We also didn't get any warnings on trash and selfish texting bastards!

Major Tom wasn't given the time to make his usual opening announcements but the Leeloo wannabe got hers...........

Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 10:14pm:
Minor point and maybe it would not have made any difference but no one made an announcement about not going overboard on the snarking.
We had a LOT of new people this year which is great for the health of the marathon.
But new people may not understand that we view and react to something like Reptilicus different from something like Shrinking Man.
Actually I wonder what the heck they thought was happening with out Chex cheer?

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 1:00am

Metaluna   Offline

I thought the Leeloo costume was pretty good but the multi pass bit seemed a little weak. But good for her for getting in the spirit of things and playing along.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 2:28pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

it's time to pick favorites. i'm not quite ready but i am leaning towards "wotw goliath". teddy roosevelt vs the martians! i loved it. it also featured nicholi tesla and baron von richtoven.
teddy was the first progressive but i don't hold it against him.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 6:50pm

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

John Carter - Add my voice to the chorus of those saying that this movie got a raw deal. Is it perfect? No, but it's fun, with an interesting world and a lot of fun, memorable characters. The best thing about John Carter is that it's like watching a Superman movie based on the very earliest Superman comics, since both characters seem to have the same power set of jumping far and super strength.
My very favorite thing of all about this movie that isn't named Tars Tarkus is Dejah Thoris. Not only is she a princess, not only is she a warrior princess, but she's a SCIENTIST warrior princess. I keep expecting Robert Heinlein to rise from the grave and propose to her.

"In Memorium 2013" - It's a good experiment, but just needs a little more work.

Reptilicus - God, this movie... I loved it, because it's the perfect sort of thing to see at the marathon. Useless female characters who add nothing to the story. Ropey effects that reach their apotheosis with that photo cutout farmer being eaten by the puppet lizard. The way the movie stops dead for about ten minutes of footage by the Copenhagen tourism board. The very strange homoerotic tension between the useless oil drill engineer and that American major who is mysteriously in charge of everything. I'm so glad this one played so early. After the rip-roaring, big budget cheese of John Carter, this was a nice slice of cheese of a different flavor and vintage.

The Ghastly Love of Johnny X - I'm kind of torn about this. On the one hand, I like musicals and this sci-fi musical pastiche was obviously made with a lot of love. It was no Lobsterman from Mars or Trail of the Screaming Forehead. On the other hand, it desperately needed an editor. Some of the scenes dragged out to deadly lengths. And the tone just wandered all over the place, with characters switching from villain to hero and then having surprise daddy issues thrown in as a third-act twist. I wasn't wild about it, but it seemed to go down fairly well with the crowd.

War of the Worlds: Goliath - This was another oddball, but a likable one. It played like the pilot of an animated series that you just know will never be made, but it managed to pull off a good amount of well-realized alt-history action. My favorite thing was the mecha design, with the Earth forces having a nice mix of aircraft and battle tripods and the Martians showing up straight out of Classics Illustrated with a better military budget. My only major problems with it were plot points that turned into blind alleys (e.g. - Irish dude whose brother was in the IRA. That whole weapons smuggling thing sure did...happen, I guess.) and the God-awful "We're trying to look like manga!" character designs. I had to laugh at how, since this was a Malaysian coproduction, we had the handsome, cool Malaysian member of the team who was clearly there to remind us that Malaysia exists. He got a pretty cool knife kill on a Martian, but nothing could top seeing Teddy Roosevelt facing down the Martian horde before being saved by the Red Baron and then taking to the streets atop a war tripod while hosing the enemy with a portable heat ray. Price of admission was worth just seeing that.

Asternauts - Um... I went to dinner and missed it. Sorry.

Battle Royale - Disclosure: I'd avoided this movie for years because the subject matter just didn't sound appealing to me at all, so I approached this one with a bit of trepidation. That said, I really enjoyed it and see why it got its following. It really is a gripping movie, whose violence is somehow not fetishized as much as I'd feared. In the end, I found it strangely uplifting, seeing how these poor kids struggled to find some winning strategy in a hopeless situation. Their stories were interesting and I found myself rooting for most of them. The Blu-Ray did have some problems (Like the amazing mish-mash of greys that formed every shadow), but the upside of video releases is that a.) we can show them and b.) subtitles are actually readable.

Safety Not Guaranteed - Another film I'd blinked and missed in general release. This was another in the growing genre of films I like to call "Is it time travel or just mental illness?" This genre currently seems to consist of this film, Happy Accidents, and 12 Monkeys, and this one is the only one of the trio that isn't a remake of La Jetee. It's an amiable tale of what people are looking for in time travel, with everyone either yearning to return to the past to fix a mistake or else stay stuck in the present. As someone else here said, it's a rare movie that can have us all cheering an empty lake at the very end. I'm glad it was here.

The Twilight Zone - I've seen this episode dozens of times and know the depressing punchline. I decided to stretch my legs instead. Even so, I'm glad we can now easily show TV shows on disc. It opens up some interesting material that we couldn't show before.

The Incredible Shrinking Man - This is a really odd movie, when you stop and think about it. It deals with all these themes of emasculation and alienation before turning into what is essentially a silent fight for survival and then ending with the bittersweet "death" of the main character as he comes to accept his vanishing from our world. It's one of those films that really make me wonder how they pitched it to the studio back in the 50's. "We've got this story of a man who shrinks down, gets depressed, grows so small that his wife thinks he's dead and abandons him to fight the web-spinning tarantula in the basement before shrinking out of existance at the end. It's the feel-melancholy movie of the summer!"

Death of a Shadow - Another oddball short, but very pretty and with a neat little concept driving its admitedly thin plot. It came and went and left a fairly good impression on me.

Phase IV - I really wanted to watch this one, but the early-morning time slot and the deadly-dull nature of this artifact from 1974 just did me in. I recall great microphotography of ants, dull scientists, strange geometric mounds in the desert, and a head-scratching ending which was apparently less head-scratching than the original lost ending. One of these days, ants, I'll watch your movie and judge you more fairly. As it stands, I came away feeling like this was the world's most depressing episode of Ark II.

Motivational Growth - And then there was this, the movie that triggered near rebellion. Looking back at my tweets during the movie, I see myself losing more and more patience with this meandering, self-indulgent mess. Yeah, I suppose it was technically impressive in some ways, but I hated the characters and just knew 15 minutes in that our "hero" was going to end up a pile of mold himself, and I think I might have punched somebody had I not walked out 20 minutes before the end. Seriously, I never walk out of movies. I may skip them or I'll watch them half-heartedly, but this one made me leave the theater feeling angry. I hated everyone in this story. I will urge people to avoid it, lest they be left feeling angry, too.

V For Vendetta - I know Alan Moore kept his name off of this adapation of his famed graphic novel on the need for anarchy, but I do like it. For all the liberties it takes with the original story, a ton of it is still in there, and I think it works. There really is something about it that makes me a bit misty eyed, seeing the silent army of the state's victims watching Parliament explode and finally getting a smidgen of justice. Purists may hate it, but I was happy to see it again.

La Luna - It was pretty and cute. Next?

Escape from L.A. - Wow, this hasn't aged well, has it? I was kind of shocked by how cheap some of the sets looked, especially Sunset Boulevard and the hilarious digital fire that consumed everyone in the back of that CGI helicopter. Also, I really loathe Snake for pretty much ensuring the deaths of most innocent bystanders in the industrialized nations, since a total loss of power and transport means mass starvation in the Earth's major cities within days. Um, thanks, Snake. You're a real anti-hero, aren't you?

The Fifth Element - Some people love it, others hate it. Still more wish that Chris Tucker would just shut the hell up and stop all his screeching. Me, I love this movie to death. It's the best English-language adaptation of a French comic that never ran in Heavy Metal magazine that can't decide if it's an action movie or a straight-up comedy. The thing I like best about it is its vision of New York City in the future. With its gigantic skyscrapers, vertical elevator-trains, and layers of flying traffic, this New York looks like a place that would be endlessly interesting to visit. It's ridiculous, and yet somehow I can buy it as being a real place. Moreso than in other, more serious movies. I think the real test of this film is Tucker as Ruby Rhod, the Pinkie Pie of this story. You either find him hilarious or else wish that one of the million rounds of ammo expended in the move would find its way between his eyes. The movie's a glorious mess that only a French action director in the 90's could give us. And even with two breakdowns due to film burns (An event I'd seen maybe twice in my life before this marathon showing), I'm so glad we ended this year feeling great after seeing this movie. Leeloo Dallas, your multipass is welcome wherever you go.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 9:51pm

Joe Neff   Offline

After just finishing the excellent film to digital documentary SIDE BY SIDE, I was reminded of why the Marathons (be they in Columbus, Cleveland or Boston) still mean so much to me, even after all these years and all these various theatres.  But more about that at the end (HA!).  First, some thoughts about this 38th version of the Amazing Insomniac and Back Pain Junkie Convention aka This Cinematic Thing of Ours aka Da Marathon!  I’ll avoid a film by film breakdown in favor of some specific high and low points.

*This was my third(!) screening of JOHN CARTER in less than two months.  I had waited until it hit Blu-Ray for my maiden voyage and it played in a severely battered 35mm print at the CWRU Cleveland Marathon back in January.  So yeah, by the time this DCP presentation rolled around, I was pretty tired of rehashing the plot points yet again.  Subsequently, I mostly took in the pure sensory aspects of the screening, which were still interesting in a simultaneously more superficial and deeper manner.  Yes, to everything that everyone here has already said about it.  Taylor Kitsch just doesn’t bring enough charisma and acting chops to the lead role, and the production design skews too much toward the photorealistic, rather than the hallucinatory fantasism that it deserves.  But it’s still a far better film than its reputation.

*Eleven years ago, a little film called HAPPY ACCIDENTS was probably the highlight of the otherwise mutant-centric lineup of SF27.  Was SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED the same experience?  No.  Much of that is due to the lead actors.  I’ve always enjoyed Aubrey Plaza, but she specialized in the deadest of deadpan personas.  And Mark Duplass is intentionally reserved as the male lead.  Compare that to the dynamically eccentric Vincent D’Onofrio and the emotional high wire act of Marisa Tomei and you can see how that earlier film had a much easier throughline for the audience.  But that doesn’t mean that the performances of Plaza and Duplass are inferior, just a bit more distant.  And with all of that said, eleven years after that HAPPY ACCIDENTS screening, I was once again pleasantly surprised to see the audience give such a warm reception to such a non-traditional sci-fi film.

*My other pleasant surprise?  ESCAPE FROM L.A.  Boy, how time can alter your perception of a film’s successes and failures.  When this bowed in 1996, I was 19 and gung ho for a sequel that I figured had to be worth it if Carpenter and Russell deigned to finally make it.  I didn’t think it was bad, but it just seemed forced and mediocre.  The Marathon screening was my first since then, and it gave me a totally new appreciation for a film that, while still not entirely successful, now compares more favorably with its contemporaries and successors.  I was immediately struck by how traditional the camerawork and editing were, a definite plus in the context of an era that has seen too much of each taken to hyper-aggressive levels.  And while on first viewing I thought the film to be a tired rehash of the original, this time I thought of it as an entirely intentional and appropriate rehashing of the original.  After all, it’s set in Hollywood, and now takes place in a moral universe so perverted and corrupted that the only solution to it is Snake Plissken’s apocalyptic reset at the story’s conclusion.   

*PHASE IV!  I’m over a barrel crazy about Saul Bass, so yeah, this screening was something special.

*The premieres……hmmmmmm.  This gets into a frustrating area for me.  I continue to appreciate what Garen does to keep this event alive, but did everyone notice that his opening remarks about “the best and worst of times” were entirely directed at the festival aspect of this whole shebang?  And his defensive stance toward MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH at the end of the even really rubbed me the wrong way.  I can see, in part, what he was trying to say, but it just came across as an admonishment of the audience’s (ahem) obviously unrefined tastes.  Look, if having a festival of sorts leading into the Marathon helps with its profile, all the better.  But the Marathon is still the marquee event, the most highly attended part of the whole fest, the guy who brought you to the dance.  For several years now, Garen had just seemed to give off this vibe that the fest is the most important part of the week, with the Marathon a quaint relic that hangs on at the end.  And that’s too bad, because this event has survived all of these years and deserves more respect than that. 

Having tried to book local premieres at the Columbus Horror Marathons, I know that it’s more difficult than ever for a smaller fest to obtain screenings.  So this year, I set a new standard for myself: if we couldn’t get a premiere that at least seemed somewhat solid, we’d rather play a quality recent title that most of the audience might have missed (KILL LIST and THE LAST CIRCUS filled those slots this year.)  You can stand behind seeming premieres all you want, but ultimately crap is just crap, and MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH is a wildly mediocre effort that looked even worse in a Marathon setting.  I missed WAR OF THE WORLDS in favor of dinner, but GHASTLY LOVE OF JOHNNY X was much better than I thought (although once it dumped out of the early musical sequences, it really started to drag.)  Agreed with most here that it would’ve made a serviceable short.

*Kudos once again to David for all of his efforts in the projection booth.  He gave my cohort and I a tour midway through the event, and lemme tell ya folks, that room is the stuff that projectionists dreams are made of.  And kudos to him as well for pointing out the glaringly obvious inferiority of some of the digital content, especially the Blu-Ray content.  Yes, 35mm prints are becoming more of a rare proposition.  But ya know what?  We ran a 24-hour Horror Marathon last fall that featured 11 of 12 features on 35mm, with THE DEVILS being the only digital screening due to its rarity.  Universal, Park Circus (which handled REPTILICUS) and SONY are still fine homes for 35mm repertory prints, and the private collector circuit is still strong as well (most studios will gladly clear rights for private prints.)  So to throw up Blu-Rays of BATTLE ROYALE and V FOR VENDETTA just made the event look cheap.  Yeah, I know that the former was only rereleased digitally (it showed at the Columbus Marathon last year.)  But if it’s going to look poor, just book something else.

Part of this, too, comes down to personal preference.  For me, this was the weakest lineup since 2006.  There was much to enjoy, but also too much that was just okay.  A versatile venue like the Somerville should be fully utilized as long as the Marathon is there, and there are 35mm prints of classic and stronger films out there.  But that’s getting off onto another tangent.

*So the reminder of why I love the Marathons, the one inspired my SIDE BY SIDE?  It’s the year by year realization that nothing beats a packed house at a grand old palace like the Somerville, going nuts over ATTACK THE BLOCK, warmly applauding SAFTEY NOT GUARANTEED, chortling at REPTILICUS and revering classics of all stripes.  It’s appropriate that the Boston even continues to start on Sunday, because the atmosphere is like going to church…in the best possible way.  Even with a lineup that I wasn’t too hot for, this experience in this theater is still second to none.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 11:49pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Joe, this is a nice insight. One of the reasons I don't go to as many small festivals (yes, even in L.A. there are tiny fests) as I used to, is because the lesser known ones tend to be filled by movies that couldn't get booked in more prestigious ones. Some of these films travel from obscure fest to obscure fest literally for years (I know they need a copyright date, but wouldn't it be smart to hide in some extint language or something to disguise the fact that they are pawning off a 3 year old movie as a "Premiere"??).

So yes, I think Joe's idea of finding smaller films that have already been vetted by getting released AND having good reviews/word of mouth is a damn solid one.

(like a broken clock even Joe.......... Cheesy)

Joe Neff wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 9:51pm:
... Having tried to book local premieres at the Columbus Horror Marathons, I know that it’s more difficult than ever for a smaller fest to obtain screenings.  So this year, I set a new standard for myself: if we couldn’t get a premiere that at least seemed somewhat solid, we’d rather play a quality recent title that most of the audience might have missed (KILL LIST and THE LAST CIRCUS filled those slots this year.)  You can stand behind seeming premieres all you want, but ultimately crap is just crap, and MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH is a wildly mediocre effort that looked even worse in a Marathon setting.... 

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 7:33pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Neil_N wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 6:50pm:
Safety Not Guaranteed - As someone else here said, it's a rare movie that can have us all cheering an empty lake at the very end. I'm glad it was here.

This really was a pleasant surprise: it kept you guessing right to the end.  But it was  very, very thin, for all that.

Quote:
The Twilight Zone - I've seen this episode dozens of times and know the depressing punchline.

Doesnt everyone?  Remember where you were, sir!

Quote:
Motivational Growth - And then there was this, the movie that triggered near rebellion.

And rightfully so!  It had no business playing at the Thon (& I would say the same thing about Johnny X).  I think we've been running far too many new movies, lately.  Just my two cents.

Quote:
V For Vendetta - I know Alan Moore kept his name off of this adaption of his famed graphic novel on the need for anarchy, but I do like it. For all the liberties it takes with the original story, a ton of it is still in there, and I think it works. There really is something about it that makes me a bit misty eyed, seeing the silent army of the state's victims watching Parliament explode and finally getting a smidgen of justice. Purists may hate it, but I was happy to see it again.

I think it was, without question, the best movie I ran this Thon.  I had forgotten just how good it is.  It has some problems: everyone says "thank you" way too many times, & that Matrix-like fight near the end was overkill.  But, getting past those glitches, the damn thing is the most politically radical movie Ive seen in years, & the fact that it was financed & released by a major studio never ceases to astonish me.
     It really, really pissed me off that I had to run that crummy BluRay.  The movie deserves better.

Quote:
Escape from L.A. - Wow, this hasn't aged well, has it?

I ran it when it came out, & I thought it sucked then.  Havent changed my mind.

Quote:
The Fifth Element - And even with two breakdowns due to film burns (An event I'd seen maybe twice in my life before this marathon showing)

Just had to bring that up, huh?   Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 8:29pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

*Kudos once again to David for all of his efforts in the projection booth.  He gave my cohort and I a tour midway through the event, and lemme tell ya folks, that room is the stuff that projectionists dreams are made of.

If you think it's cool now, just wait until all the 70mm equipment is finally installed!  Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Feb 23rd, 2013 at 1:39am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

*The premieres……hmmmmmm.  This gets into a frustrating area for me.  I continue to appreciate what Garen does to keep this event alive, but did everyone notice that his opening remarks about “the best and worst of times” were entirely directed at the festival aspect of this whole shebang?  And his defensive stance toward MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH at the end of the even really rubbed me the wrong way.  I can see, in part, what he was trying to say, but it just came across as an admonishment of the audience’s (ahem) obviously unrefined tastes.  Look, if having a festival of sorts leading into the Marathon helps with its profile, all the better.  But the Marathon is still the marquee event, the most highly attended part of the whole fest, the guy who brought you to the dance.  For several years now, Garen had just seemed to give off this vibe that the fest is the most important part of the week, with the Marathon a quaint relic that hangs on at the end.  And that’s too bad, because this event has survived all of these years and deserves more respect than that. 

I doubt anybody who actually attended the festival part of the, uh, festivities, would agree with you on that, as this year it seemed rather disorganized, even beyond what the weather caused, and the bulk of what played there... yeesh!  A *lot* more care seemed to go into the 'thon than the fest, even if the festival line-up did show improvement over last year.

I also tend to think Garen has some pretty poor judgment
over what the best movies in the fest are.  Last year, The Last Push got a rough slot and no selection for the marathon despite being easily the best movie on the slate and probably the most thon-friendly (I think it's also the only one from last year to be picked up for distribution, though it's now called Astronaut: The Last Push because people hate scrolling through VOD menus).

This year, I think there were several fest pictures that would have been better selections for the 'thon than Motivational Growth.  Though my two favorites had strikes against them (Mars et Avril is in French; Earthbound was a really annoying industry screener, worse than WOTW:G), I think the audience would have gone for Space Milkshake or The History of Future Folk.

For that matter, Garen seemed pretty surprised when he asked the audience at one of the fest screenings what they thought of the other WOTW picture that played and got a round of "eh" rather than the applause he seemed to expect.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4