WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

return to normality (Read 5933 times)
Mar 5th, 2013 at 8:48pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i saw my first movie in a theater since the marathon. it was "life of pi". not bad. i wanted to see sky fall. wish i had.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 11:05pm

zzzzkitty   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

I also saw my first movie in a theater since the marathon - on Monday. It too was Life of Pi. I liked it also, and agree not bad, but found the 3D distracting (that was the showing that was available) and wished I had seen it without.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 12:33am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I usually try and 'dry out' for a short while after the Marathon. I have seen a few films that "had" to see quickly because they were in limited art house runs -

CAESAR MUST DIE (an interesting Italian docudrama about real prisoners doing Julius Caesar behind bars)

NO (Oscar nominated nominee from Peru. Ok, but a bit disappointing)

TRISTANA (Restored version of Luis Bunuel's 1970 drama with Catherine Deneuvre. Not in the top tier of Bunuel films, but, quite good)

Let's face it, it's well known within the industry that February and March are amongst the worst for new releases, so it's usually pretty easy to not feel compelled to see many opening movies. Of course, there are still good films in the marketplace like the 3 I went to see, and others like PI that are Oscar nominees that are still hanging around or getting wider release just now.

LIFE OF PI is a good film. The wraparound story is weak and, largely, unnecesary. Not the biggest fan of 3D, but, it was well done here with only a few trick shots that take you out of the film.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2013 at 1:14pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 4:18am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

The movies that I wanted to see I saw before the 'thon. Will see something when the mood hits, but I rarely see a movie for a month after the 'thon.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 6:28pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i saw my first science fiction film since the marathon. "robot and frank" starring frank langella and susan saranwrap. i recommend it. the robot has some real character development. and that is a rare thing.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2013 at 8:04pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i saw sky fall. WALKED OUT. did not like it. gave it a chance, saw the new Q introduction and was extremely dismayed. the scene with the femme fatale was the last straw. the movie was going nowhere. can someone tell me what happened? was raif finnes the bad guy? does m get killed?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged