WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
SF38 in review (Read 52887 times)
Reply #45 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 11:17pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

G.I. Joe wrote on Mar 3rd, 2013 at 3:47pm:
... I'm getting frustrated with all the festival crap intruding on the marathon. Enuff already! Anyway, on with the show!

Motivational Growth: THIS is why I hate the festival crap so much!
Theyre better than the festival sh.t we show!!

.... just please let the festival stuff show during the week before. too much crap is wasting space at the marathon. I'd rather see good old fashioned sci-fi than da Mold! 

Look, just because Garen has no idea what the good stuff is at the festival doesn't mean it should all be tarred with the same brush...

IP Logged

Reply #46 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 2:25pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

To be fair to the poster, Jay, I think he is just expressing the views of a lot of Marathoners that too many Festival films don't cut it on the Marathon schedule. Not sure how long you have been going, but, with the exception of TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN/INVASION and, maybe, LAWNMOWER MAN, the "premieres" at the Marathon don't have a very good record.

And, let's face it, a lot of the core Marathon crowd isn't very adventurous. They think even something like SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED isnt sci-fi.

IP Logged

Reply #47 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 10:05pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Lord knows I tend to agree with the assessment of many of the premieres/festival films, but there's enough good in the festival portion that it deserves to grow, so it's worth pushing back when the whole thing is characterized as just crap.  Lord knows Garen hasn't been doing the Fest many favors with what he presents to the marathon crowd, but there's worthwhile stuff there.

IP Logged

Reply #48 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 2:14pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Here's the dingleberry who shouted out the ending of the Twilight Zone episode spotted at a screening of CITIZEN KANE at the Brattle:

http://www.gocomics.com/bliss/

(go to March 22, 2013 if reading this down the line)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4