WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
SF38 in review (Read 52884 times)
Reply #30 - Feb 23rd, 2013 at 11:53am

Joe Neff   Offline

My comment was aimed less at the end result ('cause, yeah, the actual Marathon has always looked far more organized than the fest) and more at the general impression I get from Garen.  From the focus of his announcements to the general direction of the website and FB page, etc., it seems as if the fest is the primary PR focus, while the Marathon is the quaint relic.

And again, I have no problem with him trying to play up the festival aspect if it ultimately means more opportunities for the Marathon.  But as you've pointed out on several occasions, the fest has tended to be disorganized, showcasing films that are often fairly mediocre.  And that doesn't really help any part of this thing.

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Feb 23rd, 2013 at 12:33pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Well, to be fair, the fest part is nine days and this year needed a lot of extra announcements made as the blizzard messed things up something fierce.  As much as I think a lot of the problems with the fest were self-inflicted, I can't really blame him for having that on his mind; it was a long week.

Question:  Did they ever wind up showing anything in the micro-cinema?  There were a couple of announcements with different times, but I never heard mention of a schedule or it actually being open.

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 4:24pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Hard to believe - a full week since! Again, thanks to all those involved in helping put this together. And, yes, I stayed awake all 24+ hours (30 hours total before getting a nap). In fact, I had very few problems at all with even drowsiness (although I kept asking myself "WHY??!!" during MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH....

Roll Eyes

My review of the films:

Doktor Fang (short) - Not a great idea to show a short film with the house lights on and people still arriving and chatting. I couldn't focus attention. Bring back the Trailer reel next year, please.

Duck Dodgers (short) - Amazing how many times a lot of folks in the audience have seen this, and yet it still entertains! It has become our own private Rocky Horror Picture Show!

JOHN CARTER - Like WATERWORLD a number of years ago, this one attained the level of box office bomb before it even got released. Part of it was the idiotic idea to "hide" the fact that it was set on Mars by changing the title - Really, Disney? You think hordes of ticket buyers would be lured to the box office by a generic sounding guy's name on the marquee?!! Then, there was the 3D conversion, the poor marketing, budget overruns etc... But, frankly, pitiching a film that is almost as much sword & sorcery fantasy as sci-fi was going to be a hard sell to today's crowd, not to mention the added factor of trying to outrun a $250M budget (add in a drab unknown lead and a long flashback to the Civil War). But, like WATERWORLD, CARTER isn't nearly a bad a film as its pre-release rep (and is much better). It was perfect for this crowd! The ending, of course, sets up a sequel that will now never happen (unless Disney spits it out as one of their straight-to-video cheapies).

In Memorium (short) - Much better in concept than in execution. The clips often meandered without the honored person being on screen at all. It would have been twice as effective at half the length. It should have shown later in the proceedings as well - you're just starting the Marathon, do you really wanna bum folks out that early? Still, not bad for a first effort.

REPTILICUS - As others have written - this is a Grade A example of a B movie tailor made for Marathon viewing. Cheezy effects, goofy characters, rampant model destruction, cornball dialogue! What more could you want? Best shoutout (during the cut-out human being eaten scene): "I didn't know Terry Gilliam did the effects!"

Tin Foil Hat Contest - We have to do a better job advertising our contests. I mean THREE contestants? What's the point...............?

GHASTLY LOVE OF JOHNNY X - Never have been a big fan of these retro spoofy flicks. Still, the first half-hour or so of this was better than feared. The songs were energetic, the widescreen black & white photography was pleasant and actress De Anna Brooks was sexy and enthusiastic. Nice to see a final cameo by Kevin McCarthy. And, then....the "plot" kicked in, not to mention the "dialogue". After that point, it just sort of laid there. You could feel the air get sucked out of much of the Marathon audience like a balloon being slowly deflated. And, there were still 75 MINUTES TO GO! All these "I'm more clever and talented than those hack 50s directors" can't seem to make films that don't run on well past the joke. And, what is the point of advertising that you are shooting on 35mm and then only showing it digitally? Still, this was a cut above the usual Blamire foolishness.

Trivia Contest - Nice job, Ed. And, thank you to Frank for the 4-pack DVD I won! (I named WAR OF THE WORLDS as the 1953 Hugo Award winner)

WAR OF THE WORLDS: GOLIATH - Like GHASTLY, I feared this on the schedule, but, this also exceeeded by expections - even more so, in fact. It has a clever premise building upon the HG Wells novel and updating it with a sequel that reels in Teddy Roosevelt and Tesla! Not bad for a Malaysian attempt at Anime with some Steampunk stylings. It gets in and gets out in a fairly painless 85 minutes -- but at the sacrifice of much character development.

Asternauts (short) - Pleasant if uneventful. Has a couple of nice pieces of dialogue - "Your cooperation is appreciated if compulsory" - and decently acted.

BATTLE ROYALE - Wow! This one really smacks you in the face right from the get-go with that overwrought Music overture. And, the over-the-top violence really makes HUNGER GAMES seem like kiddie-matinee material. While the film is certainly compelling and well made, I can't wholeheartedly rave about it. I'm sure there are culturally specific references for Japanese audiences, but, I couldn't really discern a point to much of the story beyond the usual parents and society/violence in culture type of thing. It's also important to note that lead actor Takeshi 'Beat' Takano is a major cult actor in Japan, so he's not just a cranky old guy with parenting issues for local audiences.
  It's amazing to think that it got the equivalent of a PG-15 rating in it's own country, but, has been released Unrated here. Because of all the sex and violence involving children I have a hard time believing it would even get an R without severe cuts. ROYALE also does a much better job than HUNGER in showing the rules of the game and keeping score of how many are alive. I liked it, but, I think somewhat similarly themed films such as Peter Brooks' LORD OF THE FLIES and even the goofy satiric DEATHRACE 2000 have clearer point-of-views.

Alien Mating Cry Contest - yes, again

SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED - This worked as a balm after the intense BATTLE ROYALE. I have to admit that I may have been a tad too hard on it when it came out last summer: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1339371463
It's certainly enjoyable, but I still think too much time is spent on the secondary characters and the payoff, while internally consistent, is kind of a letdown.

Twilight Zone "Time Enough At Last" - Hard to believe that a 50+ year old TV episode on DVD looks that much better than a brand new 2012 feature released across the country. Of course, Zone was shot on 35mm film and SAFETY on crappy digital. It actually had been a long time since I'd seen this episode. I had forgotten the wife scene and also just how poorly sighted the Burgess Meredith character was (in my mind I always said to myself, "Why doesn't he just find another pair of glasses?"). What's also astonishing is just how much plot, pathos and humanity is conveyed in the final 10 minutes or so of the episode, post-nuke. Compare that to the 105 minute running times of GHASTLY LOVE, MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH....

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN  - As noted before, SHRINKING has a fond place in my SF heart. Nice to report that it still does after not having seen it in a long time. The film starts out as one of a long string of post-nuke side-effects films, but, with more heart and humanity than most. The relationship with the circus short-person is touching (in the Richard Matheson novel she's a babysitter - a bit too icky for 50s audiences!). There are a few scattered awkward moments and an over-emphatic musical score at times. But, those minor qualms are swept away during the astonishing second half (roughly beginning with the Dollhouse/Cat sequence). It becomes one of the era's great survival tales and ends with a haunting existential final soliliquy that blew my mind as a kid and even brought a tear to my eye at the Marathon. The best film on the schedule.

Death of a Shadow (short) Didn't win the Oscar, but this nominated short was a welcome addition to the schedule. It's a morbid chamber piece with some steampunk stylings (since when did the Marathon gain this seemingly permanent sub-theme?). The set is pretty fantastic.

PHASE IV - Saul Bass' small-scaled low-budget tale is still one of the more interesting revenge of nature movies (the 70s had many). It's slowly paced and lacks strong human characters (the ants are actually more interesting!), but, it has a unique vision and tone. It was a pretty daring choice to have a 10 minute prologue without any humans on screen. We are plunged into the ant world right from the get-go. The first shot of humanity is a blurred heat-distorted view of a mechanized vehicle - a jeep. The ending, as it stands, is perhaps a bit too inspired by 2001. Hopefully, the re-discovered one will be released on DVD. What younger Marathoners have to keep in mind is that, save for a few opticals (a couple of them brilliantly composed), ALL the insect footage had to be shot for real. No CGI or model work.

MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH - Not much more to be said, since it has it's own debate thread: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1361296612
All I can add is that I was disappointed to hear that the Director was in the house at 4am but, wasn't given the opportunity to be introduced or do a Q & A afterwards. I'm not saying any minds would have been changed, but, he should have been afforded the courtesy. The film fails on a dramatic level, as well as an entertainment one. The lead is both unsympathetic AND uninteresting.

V FOR VENDETTA - Blu Ray cloudy presentation aside, this was the 2nd best film on the slate. Pretty powerful 1984-ish power to the people agitation mixed with a Phantom of the Opera like "V". It's a bit slower paced than I remember, and the bloody sword-fight battle is over the top and out of keeping with much of the picture (allegedly, it was directed by the Wachowski producers themselves). Still, this is as powerful and incredibly daring a political film to be released by a major studio as "blockbuster" entertainment as you are likely to see. And, it's also very cheeky to have the actor (John Hurt) who played Winston Smith in 1984, play the Big Brother character here!

La Luna (short) - Cute, quaint and sweet

ESCAPE FROM L.A. - Practically a text book example of the unnecessary sequel. A full decade too late. A Director on the decline. And, a lead actor cruising along on past glories. Instead of a good story, its just a re-hash with a bigger budget, larger exposions and a soundtrack amped up to 11. I avoided it on its initial release because I was such a fan of the original and heard such awful things about it. Finally seeing it now, doesn't lessen the disappointment with it. Yes, it's fun to see the cool cameos by Peter Fonda (the surfing bit is just about the best thing in it), Pam Grier, Bruce Campbell and Steve Buscemi, but, this is pretty weak stuff and the CGI hasn't age well at all (the model work in ESCAPE/NY looks better!). Everything that is wrong with the movie is exemplified in the ridiculous Basketball sequence: big bad Snake Plissken has to fight for his life shooting hoops? WTF??!! I know it's set in 'showtime' L.A., but this was asinine - I half expected a Magic Johnson or Kareem cameo....

FIFTH ELEMENT - I thought this was silly garbage on its initial release and never saw it again. It's still silly garbage. A hodgepodge of BLADE RUNNER, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, INDIANA JONES, SPECIES and lots of better films, this is one foolish ride. I remembered Chris Tucker's Ruby as one irritating character, but, now regard him right up (down) there with Jar Jar Binks as one of the genre's worst ever. Ugh. I couldn't help but think how the one hand-to-hand combat scene with Milla Jovovich has made her career and millions of dollars. Of course, it also prevented her acting from being taken seriously.

So, despite 3 of the last 4 films on the schedule being... uh... less than ideal, this was a fun marathon. The audience was cool. More enthusiastic than the last few, frankly. I think we got into the spirit of REPTILICUS and were suitably respectful of more serious minded films like SHRINKING MAN and PHASE IV (save for the dingleberry during Twilight Zone  Angry ).

Thanks again to all those who contributed and attended!

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 10:26pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 26th, 2013 at 4:24pm:
PHASE IV - Saul Bass' small-scaled low-budget tale is still one of the more interesting revenge of nature movies (the 70s had many). It's slowly paced and lacks strong human characters (the ants are actually more interesting!), but, it has a unique vision and tone. It was a pretty daring choice to have a 10 minute prologue without any humans on screen. We are plunged into the ant world right from the get-go. The first shot of humanity is a blurred heat-distorted view of a mechanized vehicle - a jeep. The ending, as it stands, is perhaps a bit too inspired by 2001. Hopefully, the re-discovered one will be released on DVD. What younger Marathoners have to keep in mind is that, save for a few opticals (a couple of them brilliantly composed), ALL the insect footage had to be shot for real. No CGI or model work.

I recall on it's first marathon showing we cheered the praying mantis in the wiring. It did have more character development than the humans.

Two things I think need to be promoted a little more are the contests at the marathon. (I have an idea for a trivia one for next year)
And also we need to get more traffic here on the message board. Nice to see an e-mail about reviewing SF38 today. Hopefully that's a start.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 10:29pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

reptillicus had the unexpected bonus of having a general named MARK. there was steady chatter in the audience as newbies asked "why are they shouting MARK?" answer "it's from planet of the vampires. they said MARK 143 times in that movie"
i didn't get the same kind of kick out of the marathon as compared to previous marathons. the last 2 films are crucial in producing a good overall experience. watching konga, zombies of maura kau, trekkers, at 8 a.m. were real standouts for me.
over the years in becomes exponentially harder to find a lineup that delights a long time veteran.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #35 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 12:31am

sas   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Okay, Tony, I'm posting.  Happy now?

I already emailed this to Klaatu:

I went to sf2 thru sf32 or so, missed a couple, got into the habit now of going home for 4 hours so I'm not totally wrecked the next day.  I suppose that's cheating, but in the bigger picture...

This was a good lineup.  After sitting miserably through "John Carter" in bad 3d, it was nice that it underwent that transformation some movies do when you see them at the marathon.  "Reptilicus" was classic (could use at least one more of those, though I know it can be difficult, and I know "Shrinking Man" was there but it's less of a sci-fi monster movie to me).  "Ghastly Love of Johnny X" was fun and different; a little long but that happens.  "War of the Worlds: Goliath" was great.  And "Safety Not Guaranteed" was even better than I'd hoped.

I do think that "Battle Royale" is out of place here, though.  A few years ago I disagreed with the (apparent) idea that there had to be some kid-friendly movie for those bringing their kids.  But on the flipside, I think that "Battle Royale" tends to exclude not only kids but some adults, too (some were waiting in the lobby for it to end when we got back from dinner).  Since I was bringing my 12 year old daughter, I had checked out most of it on Netflix Instant, and the nastiness (kind of like what horror films have become) of it (to me) outweighed any sci-fi value.  Sure there is the comparison to The Hunger Games, but that movie held back enough that it didn't seem as nasty (to me).  I realize there's a lot of room for debate about this, but that's my two cents.

We came back in the morning for Escape from LA (violent, too, but somehow being less realistic made it okay) and the Fifth Element.  And when the film got caught and burned, I said "hey kids, that's probably the last time you'll ever see that happen!"  Well, then it happened again.  Important part of the experience.

Thanks for another fun time.

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 2:30am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Here is the PHASE IV ending that was shown this past year. It doesn't really change the meaning of the ending, but, it is far more visually interesting than the release version. It also is even more 2001-ish.

Apparently, the studio cut the film against Director Saul Bass' wishes. You hire a visual artist and you cut the most visually interesting segment of the film? Nice work, Paramount.

Recent article on the making of the film: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443792604577575440133817760.html

And, a French site has some cool photos and storyboards of the ending:

http://www.devildead.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13034&start=36

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 10:23am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
LA:
Phase IV ending...Nice Work Paramount
Shocked

Way to go Paramount execs! That surrealist ending would have been the best part of a very stylish film. To cut that part out of a Saul Bass film is akin to cutting out the suspense scenes from Hitchcock! It's especially puzzling given that it was the 70's after all; a time when general release films were given artistic leeway never seen before, and perhaps never again. Huh

Even without the last five minutes, Phase IV goes down on the list of films that went way beyond my expectations. Almost every year the Marathon provides one of those big-screen gems. This year they provided three!

"John Carter of Mars" (just because the execs cut the title doesen't mean we have to.) is also on the list. I can't help but wonder if it had come out before the disasterous "Mars needs Moms", its fate would have been very different. The story and characters compare favorably to the ones in the blockbuster "Avatar". Merging Burroughs' "Princess of Mars" and "Gods of Mars", niether of which have the Cowboys and Indians storyline, probably hurt it in terms of making a good sequel.

...Book spoiler alert...

Had they based the story on "Princess of Mars" we would have seen a lot more of Lynn Collins' Deja Thoris as well as the effectively animated and voiced green Tharks. The story would have ended with him back at his Arizona goldmine, angry at his unexpected and untimely teleportation and longing for his home on Mars. The mystery of the omnipotent white martians, the Therns, would have been the reason for the sequel. 

...End of Book spoiler alert...

The other film that beat my expectations was "Safety not Guaranteed". The absence of any real stars, just good actors as it turns out, lowered my expectations to something like "Happy Accidents" lite. Boy was I wrong. Original, witty, and inclusive of understandable time-travel plot devices, the whole thing rocked, and all with only one special effect.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:15pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

sas wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 12:31am:
and the Fifth Element.  And when the film got caught and burned, I said "hey kids, that's probably the last time you'll ever see that happen!"

You can pretty much bank on that, because if I ever receive a print as crappy as that one again, I wont be so nice to it.

Quote:
Well, then it happened again.  Important part of the experience.

Yeah, yeah, rub it in.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 1:28am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 2:32pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thank you. In your blog post you say you want to see the ending of PHASE IV - a link to it was posted here just a few posts up in THIS thread.

Too bad you can't seem to enjoy stuff like REPTILICUS. One of the reasons there are Marathons of SF and Horror films, as opposed to WWII dramas or Bio-pics (for examples) is that there is an element of fun that sustains an audience for 12 hours or more. Delicious B movies have always been a part of the SF marathon, and I continue to hope that remains so. Sure, attempts at more recent 'so bad its good' stuff like SOUND OF THUNDER & BATTLEFIELD EARTH failed, and the whole spoofy thing has gotten old (TRAIL OF THE SCREAMING FOREHEAD, NAKED MONSTER), but something like REPTILICUS is good harmless fun. Try to get on board next year rather than just dreading it. The entertainment ratio of REPTILICUS or ROBOT MONSTER to a MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH or FOLKLORE is like 10 to 1!!

Hopefully, you scribble your notes the old fashioned way with pad & paper (no flashlight) rather that tweeting as you go.

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 28th, 2013 at 1:28am:

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 4:32pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Pencil and paper, of course, although I'd be tempted to try tweeting/live-blogging with an e-ink device if such a thing existed (I've heard the Kindle has a browser that's painful to use, but at least doesn't throw off light).

And it's not like I go into movies like Reptilicus looking to hate (and, in my book, a two-star rating is more "not impressed" than "actively dislike"); I just don't have the same associations with them that a lot of other folks do.  They're not suddenly going to remind me of sitting in front of the TV watching a creature double feature as a nine-year-old, you know?  And I'm okay with not being finding fun in pointing and laughing at people falling short of what they meant to achieve.

Plus, I kind of think they're worse when they play the marathon, because you get a whole bunch of people who suddenly think they're the entertainment.

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 2:17pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Nobody can "force" you to enjoy cult movies, but, it's strange that someone who sees as many such films and even blogs about them could be so resistent to the charms of such a large segment of the genre.
Even if you didn't grow up watching Creature Feature or going to Drive-Ins, you did grow up in the era of home video where you had easy access to virtually the entire range of cult film world (much easier, than generations before, in fact). For someone so interested in these genres, one would think you would have been exposed to (or interested in seeking out) the good, the bad and the ugly of genre flicks.
Plus, a lot of folks like myself didn't "grow up" watching Film Noir or Foreign Language movies, but acquired the taste and knowlege of them as adults. So, branch out and learn to love the bastard children of cult cinema! You don't have to mock them, you can have fun with them.
What makes the Marathon great is that you can shift gears from something fine like THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN or GATTACA and then find joy in having fun with REPTILICUS or KONGA the next. The Marathon isn't a Film Festival (yet). It celebrates the range of the genre.

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 3:47pm

G.I. Joe   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Fightin' for a better
Marathon

finally recovered enough to get to this. fun reading all the comments. Overall, I liked the marathon this year, but I'm getting frustrated with all the festival crap intruding on the marathon. Enuff already! Anyway, on with the show!

John Carter:  just a so-so flick, but fun with this crowd. the chick was hot and there was enough stuff going on to keep it interesting

Reptilicus: Now THIS is what the marathon is all about!! Big monsters wrecking stuff. The big oaf with the eel. the song. the bad dialogue and even worse effects! We should have 2 or 3 of these every year and keep crap like....

Ghastly Love of johnny x: Out! Grrrrrrrrrrrr/ I wanted to take a dinner break, but it was kinda early. It was cool i guess to see Kevin Mccarthy one last night time. The songs kinda hid how stupid the whole thing was. but, by the time they started resurrecting that stiff I had enuff and went off to Joshua Tree for some early din-din

War of the worlds, the cartoon:  if I wanna see War of the Worlds I'd rather see the orginal! I missed some of this because of eating, but, it looked just mediocre.

Battle Royale: oh boy, this movie kicked ass! a little too much, but it kinda kicked you in the teeth, eh? Not sure it was appropriate for the marathon but I'm glad I saw it.

Safety not guaranteed: eh. it wasn't bad and the girl was cute, but this isn't sci-fi. It's just romantic comedy with a little time travel joke tossed in. more non-marathon filler, really

Twilight Zone - yes!

Incredible Shrinking Man : I cant believe I never actually saw this at a marathon before. Has it really been that long since it showed??? anyway, it's still cool and the pussy killing a guy thing is still funny!

Phase 4: I really liked what I saw, but I started drifting towards parts of this. love the insect photography and the whole thing is kinda creepy. thanx for posting the real ending in this topic thead! It was a much better ending!

Motivational Growth: THIS is why I hate the festival crap so much! I wanted to see Woman in the Moon. Hands of Orloc seems like a stretch since it looks like a straight out horror flick. But, this crap!! Oh my what a piece of garbage!! I slept a little but too many people were yelling at the screen to sleep more. KEEP THIS TRASH OUTTA THE MARTHON!

V for Vendetta: anything woulda looked good after the steaming turd like The Mold, but this is a pretty good recent flick. Stuff blows up good and those masks are cool - I'd like to get one!

Escape from LA: much rather have seen the original, but this is big dumb fun. Snake rocks - can we show the original next year?

Fifth Element: more stupid fun. Milla is hot! Why havent we shown any of her Resident Evil flicks? Theyre better than the festival sh.t we show!!

anyway, still had a decent time. just please let the festival stuff show during the week before. too much crap is wasting space at the marathon. I'd rather see good old fashioned sci-fi than da Mold!

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 11:15pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 1st, 2013 at 2:17pm:
Nobody can "force" you to enjoy cult movies, but, it's strange that someone who sees as many such films and even blogs about them could be so resistent to the charms of such a large segment of the genre.
Even if you didn't grow up watching Creature Feature or going to Drive-Ins, you did grow up in the era of home video where you had easy access to virtually the entire range of cult film world (much easier, than generations before, in fact). For someone so interested in these genres, one would think you would have been exposed to (or interested in seeking out) the good, the bad and the ugly of genre flicks.

Not so much - North Yarmouth, ME, had one video store and it wasn't extremely well stocked with that sort of thing, we didn't have cable until pretty late, and by the time I got into movies, my sf tastes in other media had evolved toward the hard stuff.

I did seek out more in college, but I just sort of never gained a taste for bad movies.  They could be instructive, they could have elements I liked, but I never found myself preferring them to good movies.

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 1st, 2013 at 2:17pm:
The Marathon isn't a Film Festival (yet). It celebrates the range of the genre.

So do quality genre film festivals.  Heck, there are very few film festivals of any sort that are nearly as snooty as the popular perception

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4