WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
SF38 in review (Read 52689 times)
Feb 18th, 2013 at 8:14pm

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

** yaaawn **

And thus passes yet another Marathon. As we wake after a few hours of sleep, see it's dark out and then wonder if it's 6:00 PM of the same day or 6:00 AM of the next (or possibly 6:00 PM of the next and that you somehow slept for 30 hours straight), it's time for a look back at this year's films.

What? You expect a write-up now? Sorry, but it'll have to wait. Also, watch this space for this year's time lapse. I have to find some good music to back it, possibly Mold-themed.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 9:13pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Looking at the flightlist, this may be The Youngest Lineup Ever! Even if you subtract 37 years from SF-1 films or 36 years from SF-2 films(etc.), it is still a very young lineup.

The five oldest films
(1958) Incredible Shrinking Man
(1962) Reptilicus
(1974) Phase IV
(1996) Escape From LA
(1997) Fifth Element

Five Films from 2012-2013
(2013) Motivational Growth
(2012) John Carter
(2012) Ghastly Love of Johnny X
(2012) War of the Worlds: Goliath
(2012) Safety Not Guaranteed

-The same story is true for the Shorts :
(2013) In Memoriam
(2012) Asternauts
(2012) Death of a Shadow
(2011) La Luna
(1960s) Twilight Zone

This demonstrates the vanishing 35mm print problem as well as anything else. It's not that the films weren't good. It's just that the tradition of featuring a lineup that spans decades may soon be a thing a past. Embarrassed

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 10:17pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

R_F_Fineman wrote on Feb 18th, 2013 at 9:13pm:
This demonstrates the vanishing 35mm print problem as well as anything else. It's not that the films weren't good. It's just that the tradition of featuring a lineup that spans decades may soon be a thing a past.

At this point in time, I think it had far more to do with Garen's booking choices than with print availability.
     That will change, but it isnt a factor right now.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 11:00pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I'm tempted to mostly cut and past from what I tweeted during the fest, but...

John Carter - I thought it was pretty good during its theatrical run, where I saw it in 3D IMAX; I think it might work better in 2D (it was a conversion job).  Whatever the case, it got a pretty raw deal from critics, Disney's marketing decisions, and industry press last year, which seemed anxious to spread poor buzz.  It's a pretty good movie with a few issues (cut the framing sequences down, please!) that should have been recognized as such.

"In Memorium 2013" - Nice idea, pretty bad execution, as the selection of clips often seemed to make the piece more of a guessing game than a tribute.

Reptilicus - Eh.  I had an early-afternoon nap during its last act (I was up until 3am because I went to a midnight movie on Saturday), and figured it was kind of amusing as this sort of B-movie goes.

The Ghastly Love of Johnny X - Had some pretty good bits, but bogged down like crazy during the speaking (vs singing) parts, and the way it shuffled characters from protagonist to antagonist and the like.  On the other hand, it was pretty and had random and funny use of Paul Williams.

War of the Worlds: Goliath - I saw it less than 24 hours previously, so this was a good time to hit Boston Burger Company.  I got back for the only part that I'd really recommend:  Teddy Roosevelt killing Martians.  The other hour and fifteen minutes don't have nearly that sort of hook, with mediocre action and very bland characters.

"Asternauts" - I laughed, quite a bit, especially since it wasn't the sort of "insulting to rural folks" movie I was expecting.

Battle Royale - That's so good, folks.  Its satire comes out of a specifically 1990s Japan place, but works everywhere, and the violence is vicious enough that it makes The Hunger Games look like the joke it is.

Safety Not Guaranteed - I really liked it when I saw it earlier this year, but kind of felt remorse for giving it such a high rating afterward - it's such a thin thing, right?  But it's also really funny and sweet and has a great design in the end, so, yeah, I guess I really do like it that much.

The Twilight Zone:  "Time Enough at Last" - Nice half-hour story.  I hope the guy who yelled out at the end got beaten up by his neighbors but good.  Sure, it probably wasn't a spoiler for most of the crowd, but there's something to be said for just experiencing the movie as opposed to showing how clever and aware you are.

The Incredible Shrinking Man - Saw it at the Brattle a few months earlier, still like it quite a bit.  It's basically a B-movie at heart, but a well-executed one, and it has moments in the middle and end where it reaches toward something more ambitious than a lot of its contemporaries.

"Death of a Shadow" - Wasn't terribly fond when I saw it in the Oscar shorts package, not a big fan of it here.  Steampunk trappings for a not-particularly-interesting tragic romance; it strikes me as the kind of movie that talks a good game but doesn't really offer that much.

Phase IV - I really love this movie; it's about a superintelligent ant colony and doesn't try to make its villains particularly human; it's got the stark style of both Saul Bass and 1970s sci-fi in general.  And who among us wouldn't really like to see the deleted "Phase IV" section at the end?

Motivational Growth - Man, the way the marathon can turn on a movie is amazing.  FWIW, when I saw it on Friday, I basically thought it was uneven, a few good parts with as many poor ones, and Combs's voice performance generally elevating it to a bit above mediocre.  I didn't watch much of this second screening (to be frank, I needed to spend some time in the restroom), and from what I did re-watch, it doesn't seem to repeat very well, but let me tell you - it wasn't in the top half of hatable movies I saw between the festival and marathon at all.

V For Vendetta - Is it just me, or does this have a really cheap look to it, like it was shot on video or the set-decoration was half-done or something?  I'm guessing Dave would lay the blame at the 2K DI, but even without that, kind of aponderous alt-reality/future mystery.

"La Luna" - Liked it in theaters.  Still like it here.

Escape from L.A. - Man, that thing couldn't be more mid-nineties and built on Los Angeles cliches if it tried, could it?  I kind of dig its general goofiness, though, and kind of think that Big Trouble in Little China is the only other time Carpenter had nearly this much fun making a movie.

The Fifth Element - Well, Dave did warn us about the print.  It remains a great deal of fun, and kind of stands out as the last of the big model/rubber costume/elaborate set movies, since the Star Wars prequels and Lord of the Rings would be around in fairly short order and change how these big fantasies are made.  T5E is the form at its apex, especially good because Luc Besson uses it as a (first) opportunity to do a bandes-dessinees-style adventure, zipping between characters in great, peppy style.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 11:07pm

Metaluna   Offline

Dave, how much was in the tip jar at the end?

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 11:33am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 18th, 2013 at 11:00pm:
V For Vendetta - Is it just me, or does this have a really cheap look to it, like it was shot on video or the set-decoration was half-done or something?  I'm guessing Dave would lay the blame at the 2K DI

No, I would lay the blame on the fact that I was showing a BluRay.  As Ive stated (often) you cant magnify that those "images" beyond a certain point without causing severe degradation (loss of blacks, decrease in saturation, etc).  When the studios tell us (and they do) to "just a run a BluRay," you now see why we continue to refuse to do so.
     I did strongly insist to Garen that he rent a print.  He didnt.
     BTW, Battle Royale was also a BluRay, and also looked pretty damn bad (blown out whites, contrast problems, motion tracking weirdness, etc).  Most of the shorts were BluRays as well.
     I was doing a lot of juggling up there!

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 11:38am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 18th, 2013 at 11:00pm:
The Fifth Element - Well, Dave did warn us about the print.

The print had some residue adhesive on it (from the incompetent moron who ran it last) that caused the film to bind in the brain of the platter.....twice!!!  Once the brain locked up, the film came to a sudden stop, all the sprocket holes ripped, the frame froze in the gate, and burn city.
     If I had run it on reels, it wouldnt have happened.  Ah, well.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 1:01pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I will post my reviews of the films when I Escape Back to L.A..

For now, I just want to give a hearty THANK YOU to everybody involved with putting together the Marathon from Garen, to Ian and the Somverville staff, to David the perfectionist projectionist, to Frank and Fran, to Major Tom and his MLO volunteers, to our Ohio emissaries Joe and Viktruvian, to everybody else involved in the Festival and Marathon. And, also a big THANKS to everybody who took the time to chat, reminisce and look forward to the future of the Marathon.
Even in 24 hours there just wasn't enough time to catch up as much as I'd like to have.

I've given MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH its own "debate" thread here: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1361296612/0#0

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2013 at 10:20pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 7:23pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

John Carter - Liked it in 3D, also liked it in 2D. Great 'Thon opener!

"In Memorium 2013" - Well done, hope this becomes a tradition.

Reptilicus - Glad to finally see this, typical silliness for its time.

The Ghastly Love of Johnny X - Looked great in B & W, good cinematography. All it needed was a decent story.

War of the Worlds: Goliath - Best "anime" yet. Enjoyable.

"Asternauts" - Very good short.

Battle Royale - Wasn't sure about this one, but I liked it.

Safety Not Guaranteed - Surprise of the 'Thon, Glad I waited to see it here. Humorous, sweet and intriguing.

The Twilight Zone:  "Time Enough at Last" - Great to see this again. I really like the idea of "surprise" showings!

The Incredible Shrinking Man - Last seen at my first 'Thon, SF4. Good to see (most of it) again. This is where I started to doze.

"Death of a Shadow" - Another fine short film.

Phase IV - Saw more of it this time and liked it.

Motivational Growth - Two thumbs down! Ugh!!

V For Vendetta - A likeable film, SF? Not so sure.

"La Luna" - Cute.

Escape from L.A. - Did Michael Bay grow up watching this? Not bad.

The Fifth Element - WAS THIS FILM TOO LOUD? Perhaps the sound started the two fires? Interesting and nice to see again. A good closer!

Thanks to all involved once again Grin

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:27pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

7 of the 12 features had shooting, explosions, blood, canon fire, machine guns, knives, more blood, building collapse etc..
i'm sure this was an unintentional oversight but i felt i was in a war movie marathon, not a sic-fi marathon.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:49pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Okay, my turn.

John Carter- I think I agree with Dinsdale, it was better here in 2D. I still wonder what Disney did to start such a hate campaign for whats actually a damn good sci-fi actioner with a good script and great designs all through it.

In Memorium- good idea that will probably get better every year. Which is kinda depressing way to talk about obituaries.

Reptilicus- We really need at least one film like this every year. Bad effects, female characters who seem to have little purpose yet show up every where the plot goes. Comedy relief that is downright embarrassing to watch. Plus a bad song and a lot of time killing tourism pictures.

Ghastly World Of Johnny X- Not my type of film, crowd did seem to like it though.

War of The Worlds: Goliath- Fun, obviously meant as the first film in a series. The name dropping was a good touch.

Asternauts- Missed it, saw the end and was actuall a little sorry I did miss it.

Battle Royale- Great film, I think I prefer the shorter regular version. Took way too long with the extra endings.

Safety Not Guaranteed- Another type of film we need at each 'thon. Character driven with a funny script and you really wonder how it's going to end.

Twilight Zone: Time enough At Last- Wonderful seeing this with a crowd, still say it's the cruelest ending of any Zone.

Death of A Shadow- Phase IV- Motivational Growth- Slept in the second floor lobby through all of them.

V For vendetta- Not a fan of the politics but this is a great film. The peaceful crowd revolt is more moving than a battle would have ever been.

Escape From L.A.- My gawd, this came out more than 15 years ago! Hate to say it but it's not that great but seeing Snake Plissken again was kinda cool.

The Fifth Element- Is there a cut scene where it shows the entire universe turning into a Monty Python sketch? But this is a fun film to see with the marathon crowd. Kudos to our fearless projectionist for having to deal with two film breaks (one an onscreen burn that I have never seen actually happen outside of The Blob.) That ain't an insult either, I saw his report on how the print was in bad shape when it arrived. Looked great though.

Special note for our music guy for "We'll Meet Again" as ending music. Always brings tears to my eyes. Maybe some year we can end with a bouncing ball sing-along of of it that'll probably leave me sitting in my seat sobbing as the theater empties out. (I've got a BIG sentimental streak about the marathon and the folks I see at it)

All in all one of the best lineups EVER and a crowd that is starting to grow again. And also a crowd that seems to be staying longer and longer.

Wheat Chex and Rice Chex 4 Ever (but it is the Chex Mix that lets us work together)

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 10:16pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

David the Projectionist wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 11:33am:
I would lay the blame on the fact that I was showing a BluRay.  As Ive stated (often) you cant magnify that those "images" beyond a certain point without causing severe degradation (loss of blacks, decrease in saturation, etc).  When the studios tell us (and they do) to "just a run a BluRay," you now see why we continue to refuse to do so.

Huh.  The thing was, V For Vendetta was the only one of the Blu-ray sourced things that really looked that bad in that particular way to me, to the point where I checked to see what it was shot on when I got home and was kind of surprised to see 35mm (which then got its resolution reduced to 2K by the DI).  Whatever the case, it looked weird.

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:49pm:
John Carter- I think I agree with Dinsdale, it was better here in 2D. I still wonder what Disney did to start such a hate campaign for whats actually a damn good sci-fi actioner with a good script and great designs all through it.

One thing I've heard is that there was a lot of bad blood between the live-action people at Disney and the Pixar folks, who were given a lot of prominent positions in the company after the merger and were perceived as acting like they knew the business better than the veterans.  Said veterans had cultivated relationships with the entertainment media, and leaking bad things about the production fed their interests.  Supposedly the press didn't like Andrew Stanton individually much, either.  Combine this with the stupid games Disney played with the name because of The Princess & the Frog and Mars Needs Moms and the way Tron 2 tanked (it, like John Carter, had Pixar people as the driving force behind it), and the movie had more enemies than friends.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 10:49pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 10:16pm:
David the Projectionist wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 11:33am:
I would lay the blame on the fact that I was showing a BluRay.  As Ive stated (often) you cant magnify that those "images" beyond a certain point without causing severe degradation (loss of blacks, decrease in saturation, etc).  When the studios tell us (and they do) to "just a run a BluRay," you now see why we continue to refuse to do so.

Huh.  The thing was, V For Vendetta was the only one of the Blu-ray sourced things that really looked that bad in that particular way to me, to the point where I checked to see what it was shot on when I got home and was kind of surprised to see 35mm (which then got its resolution reduced to 2K by the DI).  Whatever the case, it looked weird.

let me handle this for you dave.
correct jay. the transfer process from 35 mm stock to blu-ray does degrade the resolution. projecting the blu-ray image onto a large screen exacerbates the problem. the lecherous cretans at the the studios should be flogged, drawn and quartered, have there heads shoved into a bucket of their favorite fois gras and goats should butt them and trample on them.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 11:05pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Da Bunnyman:
Special note for our music guy for "We'll Meet Again" as ending music. Always brings tears to my eyes. Maybe some year we can end with a bouncing ball sing-along of of it that'll probably leave me sitting in my seat sobbing as the theater empties out. (I've got a BIG sentimental streak about the marathon and the folks I see at it)

Thank you. The real thanks goes to mrs. F. Not only did she help develop, find, and download forty titles, when she heard that "Motivational Growth" had replaced  "Hands of Orlac", she might have reached for a chainsaw; but no. She rushed over to Starbucks, got a WiFi connection and found songs to go with the smack-talkin' mold.

Thanks to you too Bunnyman. Leading the crowd sing-along with "High Hopes" really brought energy to a sleepy "Phase IV" crowd. Maybe I will play "Happy Trails" next year in your honor. Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 11:06pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Duh, I know that.  I just thought this one looked particularly bad in a way that seemed different, qualitatively, than Battle Royale and the movies that ran during the festival, was all.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4