WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
SF/38 Marathon Official Discussion thread (Read 89055 times)
Reply #60 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 7:04pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

classic early 70's.
phase 4 is schlock.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #61 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 7:17pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Saul Bass was not a schlockmeister. You may not like PHASE IV, but it was done with the most serious of intentions, and IMHOP, handled pretty well.

IP Logged

Reply #62 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 10:00am

kirok   Offline
God Member

Metaluna wrote on Jan 19th, 2013 at 11:03pm:
Reptilicus? All of us?!?

Is Battle Royale subtitled?

the ending of phase iv is ant-iclimactic.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #63 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 10:28pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Reptilicus, great choice, an incredibly enjoyable bad film.
Plus older fans will remember in sitcoms as varied as The Monkees and The Beverly Hillbillies whenever a character went to the drive in or watched a monster movie on TV it was almost always Reptilicus.
Don't suppose there's any chance we'll get the subtitled Danish version where the damned puppet monster flies. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIlLhNTNr-w

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #64 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 9:22am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Kirok:
9 films have been selected. what sub genres should be represented for the final 3 or 4?

There's no Anime film in the lineup yet. "Battle Royal" is live action, and who could confuse animated characters with real people? Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #65 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 11:39am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 22nd, 2013 at 10:28pm:
Reptilicus, great choice, an incredibly enjoyable bad film.
Plus older fans will remember in sitcoms as varied as The Monkees and The Beverly Hillbillies whenever a character went to the drive in or watched a monster movie on TV it was almost always Reptilicus.
Don't suppose there's any chance we'll get the subtitled Danish version where the damned puppet monster flies. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIlLhNTNr-w

Me TV recently had the drive-in episode where Jethro and Dash Riprock double date and they are showing Reptilicus at the movies.  Repti also showed up in Gzreen Acres and let us not forget that he had a novelization as well as a comic book changed to Reptisaurus after the second issue when the copyright ran out.  They pushed this Danish Godzilla. 

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #66 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 4:04pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Jan 24th, 2013 at 11:39am:
Me TV recently had the drive-in episode where Jethro and Dash Riprock double date and they are showing Reptilicus at the movies.  Repti also showed up in Gzreen Acres and let us not forget that he had a novelization as well as a comic book changed to Reptisaurus after the second issue when the copyright ran out.  They pushed this Danish Godzilla. 

I haven't seen that episode of Beverly Hillbillies in ten years yet I can still remember that Reptilicus was called 'The Swamp Monster' in it.
Not only was there a novelization of Reptilicus but it was a considered a naughty novel too.
And there was a trade paperback that reprinted the complete screenplay a few years back.
Way too much stuff for such a bad film.

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 4:01pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

And lest we forget Famous Monsters Cards

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #68 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 12:48pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

It will be interesting to see how SAFETY NOT GURANTEED will play with the crowd. A fairly tiny indie, I suspect that 80-90%+ of the audience hasn't seen it.

My Messageboard review from last summer is here:

http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1339371463

It's one of the growing number of what I call 'Sci-Fi Lite' flicks which usually involve only one or two small elements of SF in an otherwise mainstream movie. Like ANOTHER EARTH, SOUND OF MY VOICE, MELANCHOLIA etc., SAFETY could easily be interepretated as a "normal" film where the SF element is either imagined or just there as methaphorical symbol. And, there are usually only a few "special effects".

It's closest Marathon parallel would be HAPPY ACCIDENTS, which did go over well with the crowd.

A guaranteed crowd pleaser? We'll see soon.

IP Logged

Reply #69 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 6:35pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 20th, 2013 at 5:47pm:
RARE EXPORTS is "interesting", but, not at all appropriate for the SF marathon. It IS very very odd as well.

If you've seen A CHRISTMAS STORY once too many times, it might be a good antidote to watch on your own next Xmas.

Brendan wrote on Jan 20th, 2013 at 5:16pm:
'Rare Exports' is an interesting 2010 Norwegian movie based on the darker legends of Santa Claus/Kris Kringle. Not really a 'Christmas' movie, but also it leans towards the horror/suspense genre.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1401143/

kirok wrote on Jan 20th, 2013 at 4:29pm:
classic early 70's is not represented. i think andromeda stain would be good. it's playing at m.i.t. saturday night.

Duly noted, and the info was passed on a week or so ago. And, we do have 1974's PHASE IV representing the early 70s.

i indeed did go to mit to see andromeda strain. it was previewed by an old scrathed print of "trouble with tribbles". the andromeda print was great. followed by galaxy quest. i had a good time.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #70 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:40pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

I see the latest addition THE GHASTLY LOVE OF JOHNNY X
I would like to congratulate the Thon planners as to their selections. I still do not know if I will be coming to Boston, as driving across two states and taking as long to get to and from Boston as I would spend watching films is a bit much. May still rationalize a visit.
My reaction to the initial list was that everything was old hat, with at least five of the films being very familiar, including three that I have seen at other festivals within the last year.
But the committee of planners have pulled it out. It now looks like a nice mix, with originality and a nod to quirkiness.
If you can now control the weather on the NY Thruway- - -.
Also. How much are individual night tickets for the Festival?
Perhaps I can not only rationalize the drive by coming early, but I can drag my Brookline resident daughter to some of the evening showings.
She attended the Cleveland Marathon for a couple of years, but then advanced in maturity beyond her father.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013 at 9:36pm by pogo »  

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #71 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:18pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I guess that's part of the downside to going to several fests and marathons. It's the main reason I haven't attended the SF Marathon in Columbus the last couple of years - too many films overlap (and they are too close together date-wise).

But, I hope you can make it to Boston. We were looking forward to the fruit!  Wink

pogo wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:40pm:
I see the latest addition THE GHASTLY LOVE OF JOHNNY X
I would like to congratulate the Thon planners as to their selections. I still do not know if I will be coming to Boston, as driving across two states and taking as long to get to and from Boston as I would spend watching films is a bit much. May still rationalize a visit.
My reaction to the initial list was that everything was old hat, with at least five of the films being very familiar, including three that I have seen at other festivals within the last year.
But the committee of planners have pulled it out. It now looks like a nice mix, with originality and a nod to quirkiness.
If you can now control the weather on the NY Thruway- - -.
Also. How much are individual night tickets for the Festival?
Perhaps I can not only rationalize the drive by coming early, but I can drag my Brookline resident daughter to some of the evening showings.
She attended the Cleveland Marathon for a couple of tears, but then advanced in maturity beyond her father.

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:46pm

Hyman Roth   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I am a retired investor
on a pension

GHASTLY LOVE OF JOHNNY X?  Wait, you mean to tell me that another 50's parody will make its bow at the Marathon?!?!?

Oh joy!  My diseased spleen is doing backflips!  Boy, maybe Larry Blamire will be in attendance and give everyone backrubs!  Then we can load up FOLKLORE again and appreciate it for the misunderstood cinematic gem it is.  And hey, while we're at it, why not run TRAIL OF THE SCREAMING FOREHEAD on a continuous loop in the lobby?  And offer LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA as a neural implant? 

Golly gee whilikers, can ya tell this old guy is excited?

IP Logged

Reply #73 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:32pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Hyman Roth wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:46pm:
GHASTLY LOVE OF JOHNNY X?  Wait, you mean to tell me that another 50's parody will make its bow at the Marathon?!?!?

Oh joy!  My diseased spleen is doing backflips!  Boy, maybe Larry Blamire will be in attendance and give everyone backrubs!  Then we can load up FOLKLORE again and appreciate it for the misunderstood cinematic gem it is.  And hey, while we're at it, why not run TRAIL OF THE SCREAMING FOREHEAD on a continuous loop in the lobby?  And offer LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA as a neural implant? 

This older guy is even more excited.  Well, there was  bound to be a misfire at some point.  It won't spoil the thon, dinner break anyone?  I would much prefer something like this if we are going the campy route:
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2013 at 12:46am by Frank »  

IP Logged

Reply #74 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:56pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Hyman Roth wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:46pm:

Godfrey Daniels, I think the reaction to the second year in a row screening of Thunderbird Are Go had a better reaction.

For the record I liked Screaming Forehead and Lost Skeleton.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8