WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
SF/38 Marathon Official Discussion thread (Read 89114 times)
Reply #30 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 12:28pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Saw it when the HFA did a 70s sci-fi series in 2010, and dug it.  Here's hoping that we get the rediscovered footage as well.

(Although I can't help but notice that everything else announced has played Boston relatively recently.  Not a bad thing, but it makes me wonder just how constrained print availability is right now!)

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 1:56pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

35MM Print availability has dwindled exponentially over just the last couple of years.

As to having some of the announced titles having played other venues recently, we have always gone pretty much our own way. We're nearing Four Decades of Marathons, so we have our own history and our own agenda. PHASE IV and SHRINKING MAN haven't played the Marathon since the single digit years of the event - before many of our younger marathoners were even born. 5TH ELEMENT and BATTLE ROYALE have never shown.
Finally, because of the diminishing availablity of prints to be shown, there is a practical reason for finding out where movies have played BEFORE - it confirms a print's existence! It has happened many many times over the years when booking a print that WE have to inform the distributor that they do indeed have a copy of their own movie!

Jay Seaver wrote on Jan 7th, 2013 at 12:28pm:
Saw it when the HFA did a 70s sci-fi series in 2010, and dug it.  Here's hoping that we get the rediscovered footage as well.

(Although I can't help but notice that everything else announced has played Boston relatively recently.  Not a bad thing, but it makes me wonder just how constrained print availability is right now!)

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 5:06pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I'm not complaining or saying that there's anything bad about it, and Phase IV played long enough ago (in potentially a different version) that it doesn't really trigger an "aw, I just saw that!" reaction from me.  Just saying a lot does this year, and while the marathon's insular enough that it only bothers a few of us attending, I think it's a phenomenon worth noting as we discuss the schedule.

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 7:38pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I have to say, I'm very happy with the picks so far. Even though I think FIFTH ELEMENT is a big P.O.S., it warrants a spot in a Marathon since others feel differently. And, hey, there's always Milla..........

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 8:03pm

Joe Neff   Offline

Last June, the Cinefamily (which runs one of the most eclectic and wide-ranging programs in the repertory house universe out of the old Silent Movie Theater in L.A.) organized a landmark weekend paying tribute to Saul Bass.  You can watch the excellent in house trailer for the event here.

Following screenings of Bass's vintage ad reels and various shorts, the fest climaxed with an archival screening of PHASE IV, which included the thought to be long lost alternate ending (check out a report on it here.  A friend of mine was in attendance, and I know several of the programmer's at the Cinefamily, so from what I gathered the alternate ending was basically a one time only deal; when the theater held an encore screening later in the week, it only featured the original ending.

Now I have no idea if Garen has managed to secure this incredibly rare add-on, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Marathon screening is of the theatrical ending.  But still, that's not a complaint.  Even in its original version, PHASE IV is a heady, psychedelic, suspense/mood piece that marks the only feature length effort from Bass, and should serve as a reminder of his massive influence on the field.

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 1:43pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

It will be interesting to see which version of WOMAN IN THE MOON we get. The full Kino DVD is 200 minutes long - can u say ENDHIRAN II? It's a fine film, but, 3 hours and 20 minutes would be a schedule killer for many. 
And, if this is off DVD, I really hope we get live music at least. That would help keep the audience engaged over a canned track. I saw this many years ago in L.A. and there was a live Theremin musician. That print was around 2-2 1/2 hours.

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 4:06pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

the m.i.t. marathon is around the 25th. they have wall-e,looper,andromeda strain!!!, and galaxy quest. it's 5$ admission for the last 2 features. i'm going.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 9:19am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I won't get my hopes up on seeing the re-discovered Phase IV ending. It's noted in the linked story that the footage was separate and not on a print of the film.
There's an excert filmed at the screening on YouTube complete with a bad angle and audience heads in the way. But still might be the only chance to see it.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCJwUQceLcs

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 4:58pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Metaluna wrote on Jan 13th, 2013 at 3:34pm:
R_F_Fineman wrote on Jan 12th, 2013 at 9:35am:
The 'thon has a great track record of getting high-quality live music performers for silent films. Is there any word as to whether one has been booked?

I once again put in a request for this guy. I think he might be in our budget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBiLAy7mDbw

Yeah, but can he do that hand thingee for 3 Hours & 20 Minutes?   Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 1:43pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Interesting choice, JOHN CARTER (OF MARS). It's considered one of the biggest mainstream bombs of the year, but, if any audience is gonna give it a fair shot, it is ours.

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 6:20pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Because of technical issues, 3D is not available in the main house at the Somerville as of now. So, JOHN CARTER will be 2D.

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 6:32pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 17th, 2013 at 6:20pm:
Because of technical issues, 3D is not available in the main house at the Somerville as of now.

No, because of technical limitations, digital 3D will NEVER be available in the main house!
     I might, some day far into the future, be able to rig dual-system film 3D in there, but digital will remain a technical impossibility.  Which is a good thing.  Because it sucks.

Quote:
So, JOHN CARTER will be 2D.

Better hope we get a film print!

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #42 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 7:30pm

Metaluna   Offline

Not sure how I feel about John Carter. I don't think it's my kind of movie. Lots of other stuff I am looking forward to though. I've never seen several of them. The only thing I have seen recently is Fifth Element and I am always up for that one.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #43 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 11:16pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

Quote:
Better hope we get a film print!

Well, Arisia is supposed to be showing a 35mm Cinemascope print of Mr. Carter this weekend. Hopefully that means there should be prints around.

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 12:48pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

definitely check the runtime of reptilicus. there is one scene in there that is a tourism advert for denmark.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8