WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
SF/38 Marathon Official Discussion thread (Read 89065 times)
Reply #45 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 1:02pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Jan 18th, 2013 at 12:48pm:
definitely check the runtime of reptilicus. there is one scene in there that is a tourism advert for denmark.

The Danish cut is 10 minutes longer. We'll see. It should be fun on the big screen. This will be the 3rd Sid Pink film shown at the Marathon. What were the other 2?

IP Logged

Reply #46 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 1:38pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

The travelogue bit is in both versions I believe.  Great sots of Tivoli Gardens and that wonderful song Tivoli Nights.  We we have also had Journey to the 7t Planet and Angry Red Planet.  We need to get The Twonky at some pint down the road.  It's too bad that Repitilicus 2 was never filmed.  He had plans to do it but passed away before making it happen.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #47 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 3:45pm

Jon   Offline
MA

Either way, I am - as you might imagine - open to it.  For one thing, I've never been to Denmark, so a little sightseeing, however outdated (that'd be Denmark in 1961?), is welcome. 

I also don't recall ever seeing "Reptilicus," though, of course, my memory is only alleged.

I do remember "Phase IV" - in fact, has it not played at more than one past Marathon?

IP Logged

Reply #48 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 11:44pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Huh, I see Safety Not Guaranteed has been added.  It's cute.

Nothing on the festival part yet, which has me worried that it's going to be another fairly unimpressive year of not being proactive at all.  I'd at least like to know what's playing the 14th so I can decide whether or not to buy a ticket for the Somerville's silent show.

IP Logged

Reply #49 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 12:20am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Jan 18th, 2013 at 11:44pm:
Huh, I see Safety Not Guaranteed has been added.  It's cute.
Nothing on the festival part yet, which has me worried that it's going to be another fairly unimpressive year of not being proactive at all.  I'd at least like to know what's playing the 14th so I can decide whether or not to buy a ticket for the Somerville's silent show.

A. "CUTE"!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked That's a horrible thing to say about an Marathon entry! Horrible!

B. Festival? There's a festival in less than a month?

IP Logged

Reply #50 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 9:45am

Brendan   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Brookline NH

So far I'm pleased and excited with the schedule of films that have been announced. A nice range of genres, time periods, styles and from different countries. These are all things I've enjoyed at the Thons I've been to so far.

I enjoyed "John Carter" when I saw it last summer, but I hope it's the 'dinner movie' since i've already seen it. There are a number of other ones that I'd hate to miss it they were in that time slot. 

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 10:47am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Jay Seaver
I see Safety Not Guaranteed has been added.  It's cute.
Quote:
LA:"CUTE"!  That's a horrible thing to say about an Marathon entry! Horrible!

LA's right! Who wants to see cute at the Marathon! Who wants to see Marissa Tomei in "Happy Accidents" or Will Smith deliver an Alien Baby in "MIB"? Who wants to see Tony Shaloub's love scene in "Galaxy Quest". As the man said "It's JUST NOT RIGHT!"

We marathon attendees want anti-cute. We want to see the version of "Safety Not Guaranteed" where safety really isn't guaranteed! We want the Michael Bay version where people scream and things explode, or the David Cronenberg version where things scream and people explode.

We don't want cute. We want terrible, horrible, monsters decimating civilization like...

...oh, well, nevermind. Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #52 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 11:08am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 19th, 2013 at 12:20am:
B. Festival? There's a festival in less than a month?

Yeah, in theory science fiction looks to the future, and its fans do as well, so we might see new and interesting things rather than just a greatest hits selection.

Oh, who'm I kidding?

IP Logged

Reply #53 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 12:16pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

just being a little cute and festive guys........

IP Logged

Reply #54 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 3:41pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

9 films have been selected. what sub genres should be represented for the final 3 or 4? we do know it fer a fact that garen will pick an animated feature. what should that be? discuss.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #55 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 11:03pm

Metaluna   Offline

Reptilicus? All of us?!?

Is Battle Royale subtitled?

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #56 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 3:12pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Kirok
Posted on: Yesterday at 3:41pm

9 films have been selected. what sub genres should be represented for the final 3 or 4?

Sub genres? Hmmm...How about monsters based on Scandinavian Folklore set in the modern day. "Troll Hunter" and "Dead Snow" were hits a couple of years back. Now there's some good buzz about "Thale (2012)":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElBJTweh_T4
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2112287/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1
http://www.facebook.com/thalemovie

After all, could a Folklore movie be anything but good? Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #57 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 4:29pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

classic early 70's is not represented. i think andromeda stain would be good. it's playing at m.i.t. saturday night.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #58 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 5:16pm

Brendan   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Brookline NH

'Rare Exports' is an interesting 2010 Norwegian movie based on the darker legends of Santa Claus/Kris Kringle. Not really a 'Christmas' movie, but also it leans towards the horror/suspense genre.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1401143/

IP Logged

Reply #59 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 5:47pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

RARE EXPORTS is "interesting", but, not at all appropriate for the SF marathon. It IS very very odd as well.

If you've seen A CHRISTMAS STORY once too many times, it might be a good antidote to watch on your own next Xmas.

Brendan wrote on Jan 20th, 2013 at 5:16pm:
'Rare Exports' is an interesting 2010 Norwegian movie based on the darker legends of Santa Claus/Kris Kringle. Not really a 'Christmas' movie, but also it leans towards the horror/suspense genre.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1401143/

kirok wrote on Jan 20th, 2013 at 4:29pm:
classic early 70's is not represented. i think andromeda stain would be good. it's playing at m.i.t. saturday night.

Duly noted, and the info was passed on a week or so ago. And, we do have 1974's PHASE IV representing the early 70s.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8