WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
SF/38 Marathon Official Discussion thread (Read 88869 times)
Reply #75 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 8:24am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:56pm:
Hyman Roth wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:46pm:
GHASTLY LOVE OF JOHNNY X?  Wait, you mean to tell me that another 50's parody will make its bow at the Marathon?!?!?

Oh joy!  My diseased spleen is doing backflips!  Boy, maybe Larry Blamire will be in attendance and give everyone backrubs!  Then we can load up FOLKLORE again and appreciate it for the misunderstood cinematic gem it is.  And hey, while we're at it, why not run TRAIL OF THE SCREAMING FOREHEAD on a continuous loop in the lobby?  And offer LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA as a neural implant? 

Golly gee whilikers, can ya tell this old guy is excited?

Godfrey Daniels, I think the reaction to the second year in a row screening of Thunderbird Are Go had a better reaction.

For the record I liked Screaming Forehead and Lost Skeleton.

Well I know that they keep making those movies for a portion of the population.  Wink.  I, on the other hand, do not particularly enjoy these movies and, more to the point, they just don't work at the marathon. Perhaps it is time to stop striking that expired ungulate.    

Experiment with your own life, damn it!  Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2013 at 1:46pm by Frank »  

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #76 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 1:18pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Sadly, I have to agree on GHASTLY. I am most definately NOT a fan of the "Hey, look how stupid 50s filmmakers were, so let's mock 'em, but, still profess that we love those films!" school of filmmaking.

Hopefully, the trailer isn't representative of the movie, but the fact that the Director has appeared in not one, but, TWO Blamire flicks doesn't give much hope.......... Sad Sad Sad Sad

IP Logged

Reply #77 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 6:37pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 1st, 2013 at 1:18pm:
Sadly, I have to agree on GHASTLY. I am most definately NOT a fan of the "Hey, look how stupid 50s filmmakers were, so let's mock 'em, but, still profess that we love those films!" school of filmmaking.

Hopefully, the trailer isn't representative of the movie, but the fact that the Director has appeared in not one, but, TWO Blamire flicks doesn't give much hope.......... Sad Sad Sad Sad

Perhaps we could request this be shown around the dinner hour?

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #78 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 3:02am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Nah, I think it warrants the honorary FOLKLORE closing spot!

Lips Sealed

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 1st, 2013 at 6:37pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 1st, 2013 at 1:18pm:

Perhaps we could request this be shown around the dinner hour?

IP Logged

Reply #79 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 10:05am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i think the final 2 should be Incredible Shrinking Man and then Safety Not Guaranteed.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #80 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 10:40am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

kirok wrote on Feb 2nd, 2013 at 10:05am:
i think the final 2 should be Incredible Shrinking Man and then Safety Not Guaranteed.

I agree.
Scheduling a couple of good ones at the end is always better than putting in an 'arty' type film.
Just leads to walkouts since folks are near their limit.
And then no chance to say your goodbyes to marathoid friends before heading back to reality. 

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #81 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 12:23pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Saw Death of a Shadow last night as part of an Oscar Nominated Shorts program. It won't win the Oscar (my money is on any of three other shorts) but it is what any good short subject should aspire to be: The presentation of an idea, the setting of an atmosphere and something that does have closure.
Tons of unanswered questions about what is going on, with enough of a background to hang a feature film on what is presented. The best gears & gizmos that I've seen since Hugo. It's subtitled, but that adds to the atmosphere.
Very dissimilar from last year's shorts nominee Time Freak, (why hasn't that been at the Thon?) it shares the quality of not doing too much. Present your idea and exposition then stop.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #82 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 12:43pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thanks for the review. It's playing around town here as well, but, I'll wait for the Marathon.

pogo wrote on Feb 2nd, 2013 at 12:23pm:
Saw Death of a Shadow last night as part of an Oscar Nominated Shorts program. It won't win the Oscar (my money is on any of three other shorts) but it is what any good short subject should aspire to be: The presentation of an idea, the setting of an atmosphere and something that does have closure.
Tons of unanswered questions about what is going on, with enough of a background to hang a feature film on what is presented. The best gears & gizmos that I've seen since Hugo. It's subtitled, but that adds to the atmosphere.
Very dissimilar from last year's shorts nominee Time Freak, (why hasn't that been at the Thon?) it shares the quality of not doing too much. Present your idea and exposition then stop.

IP Logged

Reply #83 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 7:13pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

There are those that would consider SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED an 'arty' type film as well. It did play mostly art houses after all. And, is certainly more artful than something like ZONAD or FOLKLORE. It has charm that might play better earlier in the 'thon.

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 2nd, 2013 at 10:40am:
kirok wrote on Feb 2nd, 2013 at 10:05am:

I agree.
Scheduling a couple of good ones at the end is always better than putting in an 'arty' type film.
Just leads to walkouts since folks are near their limit.
And then no chance to say your goodbyes to marathoid friends before heading back to reality. 

IP Logged

Reply #84 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 7:26pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I generally like movies such as Safety Not Guaranteed But not as a final film.  I do like Shrinking Man as second to last.  Classic sf and almost everyone is finally wide awake with a second wind.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #85 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 8:40pm

G.I. Joe   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Fightin' for a better
Marathon

Wow! Late to the party. been buzy with other stuff. just checked in a few days ago

my take on what looks like a pretty complete (??) lineup

V For Vendetta - finally! yes!
Reptilicus - GI Joe loves him some rubber monster destruction!
Ghastly Love of Johnny Who Cares - ugh Blameire-lite
Escape from LA - what, no NYC? Snake Plissken is a great character though
John Carter - eh
Woman in the Moon - tell me we arent showing that 200 minute version? Hey, Metropolis is great (stuff), but that's too much
Phase 4 - nice to see it back, havent seen it in years!
Incredible Shrinking Man - a classic Cant wait to see the little guy on the BIG screen!
Battle Royale - can you say politically incorrect? I can!  Cool
Safety not Guaranteed - didnt see it havent heard of it
5th Element - cheezy fun with some nice eye candy
Death of a Shadow - how many shorts r we showing this year?

Lineup looks pretty cool!

IP Logged

Reply #86 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 1:45pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

1. I'm sure it won't be the 200 minute version of WOMAN IN THE MOON. But, it is quite a long film save for some really butchered versions from long long ago.

2. I'm a bit jealous of all the marathoners who DON'T live in L.A. (or, maybe pretty far away from a city like Boston) and DON'T see a lot of the more obscure films out there. It must be nice to come to the Marathon and have something like SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED come completely out of the blue for you. It isn't great, but, it should go over well with most of the marathoners

G.I. Joe wrote on Feb 2nd, 2013 at 8:40pm:
Wow! Late to the party. been buzy with other stuff. just checked in a few days ago

my take on what looks like a pretty complete (??) lineup

V For Vendetta - finally! yes!
Reptilicus - GI Joe loves him some rubber monster destruction!
Ghastly Love of Johnny Who Cares - ugh Blameire-lite
Escape from LA - what, no NYC? Snake Plissken is a great character though
John Carter - eh
Woman in the Moon - tell me we arent showing that 200 minute version? Hey, Metropolis is great (stuff), but that's too much
Phase 4 - nice to see it back, havent seen it in years!
Incredible Shrinking Man - a classic Cant wait to see the little guy on the BIG screen!
Battle Royale - can you say politically incorrect? I can!  Cool
Safety not Guaranteed - didnt see it havent heard of it
5th Element - cheezy fun with some nice eye candy
Death of a Shadow - how many shorts r we showing this year?

Lineup looks pretty cool!

IP Logged

Reply #87 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 1:54pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

That and Ghastly are the only two I have not seen and strangely enough not the films I am most looking forward to seeing.  At least I want to see Safety.

IP Logged

Reply #88 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 11:52pm

G.I. Joe   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Fightin' for a better
Marathon

Thank the lord that we aint showing the 200 minute version of Woman in Moon! How long is it????

I hope Safety is good. A lot of the little movies we get are usually pretty dull. Ghastly looks Ghastly. Are we getting some movies from the Festival too??

IP Logged

Reply #89 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 7:29am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i'm dreaming of a white marathon.
boston may get 2 feet on saturday.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8