WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
SF/38 Marathon Official Discussion thread (Read 88872 times)
Nov 15th, 2012 at 4:42pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Discuss this year's lineup.

First up - THE FIFTH ELEMENT

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 7:25am

Stuart   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 1:26pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Stuart, are you saying 5TH ELEMENT is a dog itself, or, did you dress up your pet as an extra from the club scenes in the movie???

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 11:41pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

The crowd is lined up already.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 10:02pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Okay, so far I'm guessing a theme of non American film directors.

Looking forward to seeing Battle Royale on the big screen

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 12:34am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

So, so, very happy that my looooooooooooooong quest to finally bring THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN back to the marathon has happened!

Not only is SHRINKING a terrific SF Film, it also has a critical place in my sci-fi heart. It really is the very first SF movie I can remember having made a strong impression on me. I remember watching it with my Uncle and my cousin at my Grandmother's house when I was a kid. I just remember being awed by the whole spectacle of the film, it's imagination and the great adventure/survival aspect of the basement scenes.

Years later, it was the 3rd movie I ever saw at the Marathon at SF/4. It was still great on the big screen. But, what made it even more memorable was that there was a gentleman seated behind me who....uh....apparently was HEAVILY under the influence. He found it to be so hysterical I half-expected his seatmates to call for a straight-jacket! Ah, the 70s..........

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 10:43am

kirok   Offline
God Member

you don't need substances to laugh at the incredible shrinking man. it's hilarious. he meets a a really hot looking midget circus performer and says "oh boy. maybe if i stop shrinking we'll hook up" after their third date he shrinks four inches. third date ha ha ha.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 9:56pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

HUNGER GAMES, smunger games. BATTLE ROYALE sounds like the real deal. PG-13 this ain't. I love how that book's author (Suzanne Collins) claims no knowledge of BATTLE ROYALE when she wrote her book.

I suppose she also never heard of LORD OF THE FLIES, THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME, DEATHRACE 2000, TENTH VICTIM etc etc.

« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2012 at 12:32am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 1:13pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Three films have been announced.

I see folks checking in on the board.

Nobody cares?

Crikey, when we DON'T have any films announced, people b!tch and moan about it, but, few seem to comment when films ARE announced......

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 7:27pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Haven't figured out why people don't comment on the already announced films, please do.

My two cents worth. Never seen Battle Royale and don't anything about it other than what's been posted.
      Fifth Element: guilty pleasure of a movie, but am surprised it was booked. I remember Garen saying he really didn't like this movie, so I'm surprised he would book it.
      Incredible Shrinking Man: like this movie,but it should play before 10 pm.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 11:14pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

Well I'm happy to comment on them.

I find The Fifth Element a bit too silly for my taste and Chris Tucker's performance is really infuriating but Milla Jovovich, Gary Oldman and Ian Holm are all fun and the movie's amazing visuals will look great on the big screen.

For Battle Royale, I'm not sure if this has already been clarified but will the original version or the extended cut be shown? Either way it's great, unsettling stuff.

The Incredible Shrinking Man is the one I'm most excited about so far. It's been great that over the past few years at the marathon I've gotten to see some of the greatest sci-fi classics on the big screen and this one is another essential. It's especially nice since I missed it when it was shown recently at the Brattle.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 24th, 2012 at 12:48am

kirok   Offline
God Member

the really funny thing about tism is the totally botched physics. as he gets smaller his surface area to mass ratio increases. i never sat down to do the calculations but assuming his density remains constant the act of running across the basement floor would generate enough kinetic energy to make his body temperature at least 300 degrees fahrenheit. it really cracks me up.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 24th, 2012 at 1:08am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Agreed, the physics is all wrong here, that's a problem with a number of science fiction films,good and bad.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Dec 24th, 2012 at 1:34am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Basically, all films dealing with gigantism (THE AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN) or miniturization (FANTASTIC VOYAGE, INNER SPACE) have the same issue.

But, they are Sci-fi, so you go with it if the rest of the film works. And, Matheson's INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN succeeds on different levels - the idea of losing one's manhood, the great survival/adventure story in the basement, and nothing less than man's place in the universe. If you are going to admire only those films with a rigid science background, you would never be able to fill 37 marathons with them.........

Lile wrote on Dec 24th, 2012 at 1:08am:
Agreed, the physics is all wrong here, that's a problem with a number of science fiction films,good and bad.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Dec 24th, 2012 at 10:56am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

I come at miniaturization - and most classic themes in Science Fiction movies - a little differently.
Been reading Science Fiction since well before most people here were born.
"He Who Shrank" is anthologized in the classic 1946 collection Adventures in Time and Space. Read it  when I was a kid. The story itself is from the 30s. Published by Random House, ATS was the book which introduced SF as more than pulp junk to many many Americans. Not exactly true in our house as by the time I could read as my dad & brother already had hundreds of SF magazines & books littering the place.
Won't go into a lot of detail, but it's a first person account of a test subject who shrinks through one after another universes and a variety of experiences. As was mentioned above about survivalist conflicts, ANYONE writing a movie has to be aware of their precursors - & in this case this specific story.
What Shrinking Man adds is humor. A scarce & vital component to any entertainment.
Note: "Farewell to the Master", the basis of The Day the Earth Stood Still is in the same book.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventures_in_Time_and_Space

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8