WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
SF/38 Marathon Official Discussion thread (Read 88868 times)
Reply #90 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 1:07pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Hopefully, the final marathon list will be out shortly. Any guesses on the last slot or two?

Looking at the long-range forecasts, at least NEXT weekend doesn't look so bad:

Sun Feb 17
Showers hi 38° lo 29°
Chance of rain:    60% Wind:    E at 7 mph
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2013 at 2:22pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #91 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 2:28pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

If they can't find a way to get John Dies at the End for the final slot, I'll be terribly confused; isn't this thing programmed based on a love of bad jokes and rubber monsters?

On the basis "hey, it played somewhere recently so there might be a print floating around", I'd guess Dune.

I'm also hoping for Grabbers, and that IFC Midnight doesn't want it publicized because they're trying to get it Late Show bookings in the area.

IP Logged

Reply #92 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 4:04pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

That's a bit of exaaaaaaaageration. Sure, there's a Blamire-like spoof and big monster flick REPTILICUS, but 2 films do not a line-up make!

V FOR VENDETTA is a pretty dark dystopian thriller. PHASE IV a trippy 70s flick. BATTLE ROYALE is hardly EZ viewing. INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN is a genuine classic of the genre. WOMAN IN THE MOON is by one of the greatest filmmakers in the history of the medium (Fritz Lang). Etc. Etc.

As I wrote earlier. We have our own history and our own agenda. Just because two or three marathoners MIGHT have attended a screening of a movie around town within the past year, should have absolutely no bearing on having it show to the 397 or 398 other folks who did not attend.

JOHN DIES AT THE END is in the midst of its national rollout, so I doubt it would even be bookable right now.

The Festival is a different animal as it is much more limited by what is submitted and available.

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 8th, 2013 at 2:28pm:
If they can't find a way to get John Dies at the End for the final slot, I'll be terribly confused; isn't this thing programmed based on a love of bad jokes and rubber monsters?

On the basis "hey, it played somewhere recently so there might be a print floating around", I'd guess Dune.

I'm also hoping for Grabbers, and that IFC Midnight doesn't want it publicized because they're trying to get it Late Show bookings in the area.

IP Logged

Reply #93 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 5:45pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 8th, 2013 at 1:07pm:
Hopefully, the final marathon list will be out shortly. Any guesses on the last slot or two?

Looking at the long-range forecasts, at least NEXT weekend doesn't look so bad:

Sun Feb 17
Showers hi 38° lo 29°
Chance of rain:    60% Wind:    E at 7 mph

Ah these darn kids can't take a bit of bad weather in line for the marathon.
I well remember one year at the Coolidge when we had a wind chill of WAY below zero.
Course I was sleeping at the Holiday Inn down the street at the time. Smiley

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #94 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 5:59pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Yeah, it's an exaggeration, but you were asking for guesses.  When trying to narrow down from "every science fiction movie ever made", you've got to use some basis, and you can't deny that the early announcements had a "hey, there was a known print available a month ago!" pattern to them.  Thus, Dune.

(And I think there is value in not duplicating things that have shown locally recently - why wouldn't you want local movie-lovers to think this is an event with a voice of its own?  What good comes of people looking at the program they paid $50+ for and seeing it half-filled with things they've seen or chose not to see recently?  Granted, there is a certain insularity to this group that only really makes it a problem for a few of us, but that in itself strikes me as kind of weird!)

Garen's tendency to put a recent, often quirky movie at the end (plus the obvious joke that comes from playing it at 10:15am) makes John Dies at the End a fun way to play with the program - especially if the schedule begins with John Carter.

Both John Dies and Grabbers are near enough to the first-run window to make booking trickier, and maybe Magnet and IFC would be less willing to make that work than Paramount was with Cloverfield a few years back, but I kind of think they've got a little more motivation to increase awareness and maybe get some DVD sales and word-of-mouth going for them.

IP Logged

Reply #95 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 7:12pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Bunnyman:
I well remember one year at the Coolidge when we had a wind chill of WAY below zero...

Bunnyman's right! We had it rough. You kids today don't know what it was like at the Coolidge during SF-15 before the restoration. There we were: 800 of us, mostly males, mostly full of coffee, standing in line for one toilet with a crack in it. The line extended all the way to Allston...ah yes... Wink

These traumatic memories, and the previous post about "John Dies at the End" started me thinking:  Nobody has played the unofficial theme game yet this year.

Given "John Carter", "The Ghastly Johnny X", and The Incredible Shrinking Man": a Jack Arnold film, maybe the unofficial theme should be...."HEEEEEERE'S JOHNNY!" Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #96 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 7:18pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Quote:
Bunnyman:
I well remember one year at the Coolidge when we had a wind chill of WAY below zero...

Sorry, standing on line for 10 or 12 hours in sub zero weather just won't cut it.  My crew and the Dick Miller Fan Club know what I mean.   Wink  I named her Damnation Alley lovingly because eventually you learn to love the lash.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #97 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 8:59pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Which of the announced films should get the alleged "booby prize"
of being on screen at 4 AM? No "cheating" by suggestion GHASTLY LOVE OF JOHNNY X or WOMAN IN THE MOON - that ain't happening.

It's a Marathon.

It's 24 Hours.

SOMEthing
has to be in that dreaded time slot............

- I actually kind of dig the 4am slot. Most of the yahoos and jamokes have tuckered out by then. As long as you can tune out all the snoring, it's pretty peaceful and cool.

IP Logged

Reply #98 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 9:15pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 8th, 2013 at 8:59pm:
Which of the announced films should get the alleged "booby prize"
of being on screen at 4 AM? No "cheating" by suggestion GHASTLY LOVE OF JOHNNY X or WOMAN IN THE MOON - that ain't happening.

It's a Marathon.

It's 24 Hours.

SOMEthing
has to be in that dreaded time slot............

I'd guess Fifth Element or Phase IV

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #99 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 12:16am

kirok   Offline
God Member

that's a no brainer. escape from l.a.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #100 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 5:35am

Rich Bartlett   Offline

I see where Frau im Mond has been replaced with Hands of Orlac. There will be no trip to the moon this year. Bummer.

IP Logged

Reply #101 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 10:08am

kirok   Offline
God Member

Rich Bartlett wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 5:35am:
I see where Frau im Mond has been replaced with Hands of Orlac. There will be no trip to the moon this year. Bummer.

you're kidding!?!

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #102 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 1:04pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

kirok wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 10:08am:

you're kidding!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjUQMs0kVEI

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #103 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 9:58pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 10:08am:

you're kidding!?!

Heard tonight that we received the restored German version that clocks in at 4 hours! Could have been this years Enhidron!

IP Logged

Reply #104 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 12:46pm

zzzzkitty   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

No trip to the moon - disappointing. But The Hands of Orlac should be fun. Directed by Robert Wiene (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8