WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
SF/38 Marathon Official Discussion thread (Read 88874 times)
Reply #15 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 10:50pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

"Fifth Element" is a major pleasure of mine -- and the word guilty doesn't enter the discussion. Bruce Willis is at the tongue-in-cheek top of his game; Milla Jovovich is hot hot hot; who knew Ian Holm could do such great physical comedy; when I interviewed Gary Oldman last year, he said he based Zorg "on Bugs Bunny and Ross Perot"; there is absolutely crackerjack and comedic editing by Luc Besson regular Sylvie Landra. I'm not a big fan of the last minute of the film, but aside from that, it's one of my faves.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Dec 30th, 2012 at 3:16pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

i guess it isnt surprising that Ed would like 5Th considering his love for ZARDOZ & CLOUD ATLAS ed symkus wrote on Dec 27th, 2012 at 10:50pm:
"Fifth Element" is a major pleasure of mine -- and the word guilty doesn't enter the discussion. Bruce Willis is at the tongue-in-cheek top of his game; Milla Jovovich is hot hot hot; who knew Ian Holm could do such great physical comedy; when I interviewed Gary Oldman last year, he said he based Zorg "on Bugs Bunny and Ross Perot"; there i editing by Luc Besson regular Sylvie Landra. I'm not a big fan of the last minute of the film, but aside from that, it's one of my faves.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Dec 30th, 2012 at 4:44pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

L.A. Connection wrote on Dec 30th, 2012 at 3:16pm:
i guess it isnt surprising that Ed would like 5Th considering his love for ZARDOZ & CLOUD ATLAS ed symkus wrote on Dec 27th, 2012 at 10:50pm:
"Fifth Element" is a major pleasure of mine -- and the word guilty doesn't enter the discussion. Bruce Willis is at the tongue-in-cheek top of his game; Milla Jovovich is hot hot hot; who knew Ian Holm could do such great physical comedy; when I interviewed Gary Oldman last year, he said he based Zorg "on Bugs Bunny and Ross Perot"; there i editing by Luc Besson regular Sylvie Landra. I'm not a big fan of the last minute of the film, but aside from that, it's one of my faves.

reminder: another "bone of contention" movie is speilberg's A.I. It has never played the marathon and it should. it's speiberg's tribute to stanley kubrick.  i thought it was super. ed loved it, l.a. hated it.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 11:42am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

According to the last Official email release we should be getting a bunch of new titles soon...   Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2013 at 7:57pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 2:16pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 1st, 2013 at 11:42am:
According to the last Official email release we should be getting a bunch of new titles soon

"bunch" and "soon" are vagaries. i for one do not intend to hold my breath. (is this the year we get "the man who fell to earth?)

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 3:28pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

I'm looking forward to the return of TISM, it was part of the first 'Thon I attended, SF4. Don't remember much about the Fifth Element, so it will be good to see it again and Battle Royale sounds intriguing. As far as film announcements go, I really don't care about knowing what's going to be playing in advance, it's always a great time!

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 7:58pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Dinsdale wrote on Jan 1st, 2013 at 3:28pm:
...As far as film announcements go, I really don't care about knowing what's going to be playing in advance, it's always a great time!

Good to hear. Since we're planning on booking FOLKLORE II, not to mention the 3 hour director's cut of the original FOLKLORE!

Cool

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 8:18pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Folklore 2 and the directors cut to Folklore, now that would be the best booking since Thunderbirds Ae Go played for the second Time.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 4:28am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Hell, I'd rather see THUNDERBIRDS three marathons in a row than endure that hypothetical double bill once!

Cheesy

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 1st, 2013 at 7:58pm:
Dinsdale wrote on Jan 1st, 2013 at 3:28pm:
...As far as film announcements go, I really don't care about knowing what's going to be playing in advance, it's always a great time!

Good to hear. Since we're planning on booking FOLKLORE II, not to mention the 3 hour director's cut of the original FOLKLORE!

Cool

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 10:58am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

At least Thunderbirds was entertaining and funny the first time around.  Folks enjoyed this look at 60's children's entertainment from the Andersons.  The audience laughed, even howled, but they were entertained.  It was the back-to-back viewing that "done her in" so to speak.  I think Folklore was something else altogether.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 1:34pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

without anderson's work there would be no "team america". in his honor we should show "team america"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:06pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 1:34pm:
without anderson's work there would be no "team america". in his honor we should show "team america"

Or, the long overdue THUNDERBIRD SIX which was supposed to be shown all those years ago rather than the back to back THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!.

(or, do we dare risk that we get GO! again?)

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 4:22pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

pogo wrote on Dec 24th, 2012 at 10:56am:
I come at miniaturization - and most classic themes in Science Fiction movies - a little differently.
Been reading Science Fiction since well before most people here were born.
"He Who Shrank" is anthologized in the classic 1946 collection Adventures in Time and Space. Read it  when I was a kid. The story itself is from the 30s. Published by Random House, ATS was the book which introduced SF as more than pulp junk to many many Americans. Not exactly true in our house as by the time I could read as my dad & brother already had hundreds of SF magazines & books littering the place.
Won't go into a lot of detail, but it's a first person account of a test subject who shrinks through one after another universes and a variety of experiences. As was mentioned above about survivalist conflicts, ANYONE writing a movie has to be aware of their precursors - & in this case this specific story.
What Shrinking Man adds is humor. A scarce & vital component to any entertainment.
Note: "Farewell to the Master", the basis of The Day the Earth Stood Still is in the same book.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventures_in_Time_and_Space

Thought about this earlier post. There  are at least two other stories of interest in ATT. "Who Goes There" (by John Campbell) is the basis of The Thing - (and a much better story than any movie version.) Also VanVogt's Black Destroyer,has been described as the original idea behind Alien.
Perhaps there could be a theme some year of films based on classic Science Fiction stories. I'd love to write the program notes. Roll Eyes -as long as The Time Machine and Phil Dick based stuff isn't included.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2013 at 12:23am by pogo »  

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 5:56pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Couldn't have told you anything about Phase IV except that it had something to do with ants.
From the Wikipedia write up it looks very interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_IV
Thanks y'all.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #29 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 4:43am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Saw Phase IV on tv several years ago and was ambivalent about it, maybe a second viewing will change my mind.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8