WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Sci-Fi Quiz (Read 107531 times)
Reply #105 - May 4th, 2013 at 9:07am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

The "World of Hurt" quiz answers:

Actors Name
Willaim Hurt
Willaim Hurt
Willaim Hurt
Willaim Hurt
Willaim Hurt
Willaim Hurt
John Hurt
John Hurt
John Hurt
John Hurt
John Hurt
John Hurt
John Hurt
Jena Hurt
Dan Payne
Elizabeth Payne
Edward Burns
James C Burns
Tim Burns
Tim Burns
Jennifer Burns
Title
Altered States
Dark City
Lost in Space
Dune
A.I.
The Villiage
The Ghoul
Alien
Spaceballs
Frankenstein Unbound
Contact
V for Vendett
Pirranah 3-DD
Cabin in the Woods, Watchmen, Underworld
Minority Report
A Sound of Thunder
Transformers, Dinocrock vs Supergator
Mad Max
Chain Reaction
Nightfall
Year
2012,2010, 2007
2007, 2010
Thon

Next Week's Quiz:
I'm considering the next quiz to be like the board game "Clue". With answers like:

"-Mr. X killed -Dr. Y in -Japan with a -Forklift.

It would naturally have a lot of spoilers, fewer if the movie name were left out. I could put the quiz in the "spoiler only section" and confine my films to older classics that have played the 'thon. Any thoughts? I won't post the quiz until I get some feedback from board members.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #106 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 4:03pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

It's been too long since I posted a quiz.

Hair Today...

The following pictures are actual runway and fashion shots from 2012 and 2013.
They reminded me of hairstyles in some famous and infamous science fiction films. Which one(s)? Can you make the cut?

As usual, most of the films have played the 'thon. There are a couple of answers from the original "Star Trek" series thrown in and at least one has more than one good answer. I'll post multiple choice answers in a couple of days so you won't be pulling your hair out. Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #107 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 6:31pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

"Hair Today" Quiz Multiple Choice:

Title Year
A Clockwork Orange 1971
Alien 3 1992
Barbarella 1968
Blade Runner 1982
Killer Klowns from Outer Space 1988
Queen of Blood 1966
Spaceboy (short) 1966
Star Trek:TOS (T'Pring) 1966-1968
Star Trek:TOS (Ensign Rand) 1966-1968
Star Wars: A New Hope 1977
Star Wars: Phantom Menace 1999
Tank Girl 1995
The Fifth Element 1997
THX-1138 1970
V for Vendetta 2005
When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth 1970

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #108 - Sep 13th, 2013 at 7:48pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

What? thirty views and no takers?  Sad

I figured it was a hare-brained quiz, especially with the movies listed. Would posting the movie stills help out?

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #109 - Sep 14th, 2013 at 3:54pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

It seems our top sci-fi movie experts have logged in and nobody has taken a guess at the quiz.

Hint:

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #110 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 8:16am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i'll do the star trek entries. i is persis combatta from star trek the motion picture. k is yeoman rand from tos.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #111 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 8:57am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Kirok:
I take it by "K" you meant "L" and check the multiple choices 4 posts back. I left Persis Khambatta off the multiple choices in favor of an actress who played the 'thon very recently and to her credit never acted in Star Trek I. She did, however play in Star Wars I. (Kirok: As a Star Trek fan you should also look more closely at "J")

I can't believe you guys haven't picked up on "A" "C", "E" and "F".  They're not exactly everyday hairstyles. "A" and "C" have played the 'thon multiple times, "E" played the 'thon very recently and was even featured in a brief stage performance. Shocked

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #112 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 11:03am

kirok   Offline
God Member

yes. how could i miss t'pol. but how could you miss this:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/images/homage-michelle.jpg#michelle%20obama%20romul...

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #113 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 1:50pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Kirok:yes. how could i miss t'pol. but how could you miss this:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/images/homage-michelle.jpg#michelle%20obama%20romul...

Great one! How could I have missed this....

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #114 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 2:11pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

HAIR QUIZ ANSWERS

see above for the original questions and hints.

Not surprisingly, the two articles that provided the fashion pictures actually referenced "Barbarella" and "Blade Runner" as  inspirations. Not surprisingly, "Killer Klowns" was not referenced.

The complete answer set:

Letter            First Name            Character            Title            Year            Thon      
     A            Jane Fonda            Barbarella            Barbarella            1968            SF-15,26      
     A            Victoria Vetri and others            Sanna            When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth            1970            SF-19      
     B                        Record Shop Girl            A Clockwork Orange            1971            SF-21      
     C            Sean Young            Rachel            Blade Runner            1982            SF-8,10,14,32      
     D            Natalie Portman            Queen Padme            Star Wars: Phantom Menace            1999                  
     E            Mila Jovovich            Leeloo            The Fifth Element            1997            SF-38      
     F            Carrie Fisher            Princess Lea            Star Wars: A New Hope            1977            SF-10      
     G            Lori Petty            Tank Girl            Tank Girl            1995            SF-26      
     H            Florence Marley            The Queen            Queen of Blood            1966                  
     H            Florence Marley            The Queen            Spaceboy (short)            1966            SF-?      
     I            Sigourney Weaver            Ripley            Alien 3            1992                  
     I                        Everybody            THX-1138            1970            SF-9,30      
     I            Natalie Portman            Evey            V for Vendetta            2005            SF-38      
     J            Arlene Martel            T'Pring            Star Trek: TOS            1966-1968                  
     K                        A Clown            Killer Klowns from Outer Space            1988            SF-14,32      
     L            Grace Lee Whitney            Ensign Rand            Star Trek: TOS            1966-1968                  

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #115 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 4:48pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

"What we're dealing with here is a simple failure to communicate." -Strother Martin in "Cool Hand Luke"

Lost In Translation: Foreign Titles of US Movies

Letter            Foreign Title            Country      
     A            If You Leave Me, I Delete You            Italy      
     B            Captain Supermarket            Japan      
     C            He's a Ghost            China      
     D            Rain of Falafel            Israel      
     E            A----- ------: The Spy Who Behaved Very Nicely Around Me            Malaysia      
     F            Meetings and Failures in Meetings            Portugal      
     G            La folle histoire de l'espace            France      
     H            Springtime for Frankenstein            Sweden      
     I            The Teeth from the Sea            France      
     J            Young People Who Traverse Dimensions While Wearing Sunglasses            France      
     K            The Eighth Passenger is Death            Hungary      
     L            The Name of the Planet is Death            Hungary      
     M            G------: The Port of the Universe            Italy      
     N            Biochemical Crisis 生化危机            China      
     O            The Future Demands Your Participation 未來總動員            Taiwan      
     P            "Staff of the Devil" or "The Devil's Member" 魔鬼總動員            Taiwan      
     Q            Voyage au centre de la mémoire            Canada (French Title)      
     S            Mars Men Also Get Hungry            Germany      

Can you guess the title of the well-know US movie that was translated above for the overseas market?
Next week: multiple choice

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #116 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 4:02pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

"Lost in Translation: Foreign Titles of US Movies"

Here are some hints:

All of the titles are accounted for plus the possibility of a red herring or two. Wink

There are some really cool posters in various languages at the Movie Poster Database:
http://www.movieposterdb.com/

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #117 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:18am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

"Lost in Translation" Foreign Title Multiple Choice Quiz

U.S. Title      
     1. Alien      
     2. Aliens      
     3. Army of Darkness      
     4. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me      
     5. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs      
     6. Death Race 2000      
     7. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind      
     8. GATTACA      
     9. Jaws      
     10. Lost in Translation      
     11. Men in Black      
     12. Resident Evil      
     13. Spaceballs      
     14. The Matrix      
     15. The Sixth Sense      
     16. Top of the Food Chain      
     17. Total Recall      
     18. Twelve Monkeys      
     19. Young Frankenstein      

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #118 - Oct 18th, 2013 at 8:39am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

"Lost in Translation": Foreign Titles of U.S. Films

-Answers-

Letter            U.S. Title            Foreign Title            Country      
     A            Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind            If You Leave Me, I Delete You            Italy      
     B            Army of Darkness            Captain Supermarket            Japan      
     C            The Sixth Sense            He's a Ghost            China      
     D            Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs            Rain of Falafel            Israel      
     E            Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me            Austin Powers: The Spy Who Behaved Very Nicely Around Me            Malaysia      
     F            Lost in Translation            Meetings and Failures in Meetings            Portugal      
     G            Spaceballs            La folle histoire de l'espace            France      
     H            Young Frankenstein            Springtime for Frankenstein            Sweden      
     I            Jaws            The Teeth from the Sea            France      
     J            The Matrix            Young People Who Traverse Dimensions While Wearing Sunglasses            France      
     K            Alien            The Eighth Passenger is Death            Hungary      
     L            Aliens            The Name of the Planet is Death            Hungary      
     M            GATTACA            Gattaca: The Port of the Universe            Italy      
     N            Resident Evil            Biochemical Crisis 生化危机            China      
     O            Twelve Monkeys            The Future Demands Your Participation 未來總動員            Taiwan      
     P            Total Recall            "Staff of the Devil" or "The Devil's Member" 魔鬼總動員            Taiwan      
     Q            Total Recall            Voyage au centre de la mémoire            Canada (French Title)      
     R            Top of the Food Chain            Mars à table!            France      
     S            Top of the Food Chain            Auch Marsmenschen haben Hunger            Germany      

Sources:

http://taiwanonymous.blogspot.com/2009/03/movie-titles-translated-into-chinese.h...

http://www.movieposterdb.com/

www.imdb.com

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #119 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 1:21pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Mini Quiz:

The Above Picture is:

A. A DALEK working on his pickup lines.

B. Miss NASA 1968 checking out an Apollo Motor.

C. A Scene from the "Futurama" at the Seattle World's Fair.

D. N.O.M.A.D.: "You are imperfect but..."

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9