WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Film Play Order (Read 7431 times)
Jan 24th, 2015 at 3:12pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Another tradition on this board is throwing out suggestions about a good order in which to put the films. Tradition holds;  kid-friendly films run early, as do silent films with a live performer for practical reasons, a classic hits the evening prime time spot, schlock, gore and sex hit the late night and early morning. More recent tradition holds that a festival feature, often the Gort winner, finishes the Marathon.

This year is a tough one. Most of them are classics. Most of them are kid friendly and there isn't any obvious schlock, sex or gore. (Don't blame me. I proposed "Frankenhooker"  Wink) What do we do with so many films that could be argued as worthy of prime spots?

I propose a simple solution: Chronology.

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari
Day The Earth Stood Still
Them
This Island Earth
2001: A Space Oddyssey
Moonraker
Big Trouble in Little China
The Iron Giant
Snowpiercer
Edge of Tomorrow
Ragnarok
Gort Winner

No, it's not perfect and it will never make everyone happy, but it is logical in its way and is a fair resolution to most of the issues involving the placement of so many very good films.

Good things about this proposal:

• "Dr. Caligari" plays first when everyone is fresh and the live performer, if any, can break down his equipment and move it out early.
  • "Dr. Caligari" is also quite short, thus putting "2001" in prime time.
  • All of the early films are kid friendly.
  • By the looks of it, "Ragnarok" is a high energy wake up film.

Bad things? Other ideas? Take it away boardmembers... Shocked....

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 4:34pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Problem I see is that would put Iron Giant pretty late.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 8:16pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

All my 'regulars' here on the Messageboard know where to go to see a hint of the lineup order as we get closer to the day.

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 1:04am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Hmmm, that would put Iron Giant around 6-ish and might make Caliagri or Edge of Tomorrow my dinner break.
It could work dammit!

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 5:53am

Rich Bartlett   Offline

I suppose beginning and ending the marathon with Edge of Tomorrow a.k.a. Live, Die, Repeat would be a bad idea.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 3:16pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Truth be told, the order on the schedule page looks fairly reasonable - 2001 and Caligari up first so that Douglas Trumbull can catch an afternoon flight out if he's so inclined and Jeff Rapsis (presumably) can break down quickly.  It puts Snowpiercer - I think the only R-rated movie on the schedule - at around midnight and The Iron Giant in the early morning.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 7:20pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Jay Seaver wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 3:16pm:
Truth be told, the order on the schedule page looks fairly reasonable - 2001 and Caligari up first so that Douglas Trumbull can catch an afternoon flight out if he's so inclined and Jeff Rapsis (presumably) can break down quickly.  It puts Snowpiercer - I think the only R-rated movie on the schedule - at around midnight and The Iron Giant in the early morning.

Sure but why put Iron Giant which is a great all ages film where kids attending would likely miss it.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 2:13am

Joe Neff   Offline

Boy, as a few of you have noted, this is a really tough lineup to schedule.  It looks okay on paper, but as a cohesive collection of films?  Not so much. 

Closest I could figure out was:

Edge of Tomorrow
The Iron Giant
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Ragnarok
2001: A Space Odyssey
Snowpiercer
The Cabinet of Dr Caligari
This Island Earth
Moonraker
Big Trouble in Little China
Them
?

-Has there been any indication that Jeff Rapsis will actually be performing with CALIGARI?  If not, you can play this decidedly non-sci-fi film later.

-MOONRAKER......yeah.....

-EDGE OF TOMORROW is good, but put it too late and you risk losing a good portion of the crowd that's already seen it. 

-Even in this order, I don't quite like how things run.  I dunno....I sorta stand by my previous post about the overall makeup of the lineup.  It leaves a lot to be desired in terms of its coherence.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 12:53pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

IP Logged