WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
IDEAS & SUGGESTIONS for the big 4-0 Marathon! (Read 48592 times)
Reply #45 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 1:49am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

At sf 37 they ran "Frankenstein (1931)...
At sf 26 they ran "Bride of Frankenstein"...
At sf 24 they ran "Young Frankenstein"...

I propose...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcSN3PEvtQo
Known in Germany as...
Known in France as...
Known in Japan as...

I remember seeing it in the 90's at a midnight showing at the Coolidge: vulgar, gory, but very funny, it could be a good fit for one of the graveyard spots between midnight and sunrise...if you dare!

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #46 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 3:35am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Agreed, we need more
Marathon Hookers
!

And, yes, I started suggesting FRANKENHOOKER since about a year after it was released.

And, then there is this, in which you will see a young L.A. Connection if you look closely during the opening bar scene!

And, yes that is Leatherface himself, Gunnar Hansen, sandwiched in between Scream Queens Linnea Quigley and Michelle Bauer! I was in charge of the Chainsaws.

IP Logged

Reply #47 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 12:50pm

Joe Neff   Offline

Waaaaaay back in October 1990, Columbus's own Patty Mullen was the Guest of Honor at the 3rd edition of the NIGHT OF THE LIVING DREXEL 24-Hour Horror Marathon.  Her homecoming sold out the joint.

And yes, FRANKENHOOKER is a bucketload of offensive fun and would be great to see again. (Cue Metaluna tossing daggers my way.)

IP Logged

Reply #48 - Dec 21st, 2014 at 10:50pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

An interview with "Frankenhooker" herself, Patty Mullen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74DchWBpskc

Youtube also has other interviews with her at various horror fests around the country. By the looks of them, she has been doing a good number of such conventions and is a natural at the Q and A sessions. Could this mean that a print is available?

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #49 - Dec 23rd, 2014 at 11:14pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Facebook tells us that Iron Giant is confirmed.  Terrific.......... Aside for our beloved Duck Dodgers it is one of the few animated films to play the thon that grabbed the audience and refused to let them go. It is long overdue for a second viewing and a most worthy entry.  A boy and his alien robot friend.  50's SF themes, 50's references, paranoia, beatniks, laughs, tears with more than a passing nod to the most famous alien in SF "Sooperman".  Top shelf.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #50 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 12:40pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Dec 23rd, 2014 at 11:14pm:
Facebook tells us that Iron Giant is confirmed.  Terrific.......... Aside for our beloved Duck Dodgers it is one of the few animated films to play the thon that grabbed the audience and refused to let them go. It is long overdue for a second viewing and a most worthy entry.  A boy and his alien robot friend.  50's SF themes, 50's references, paranoia, beatniks, laughs, tears with more than a passing nod to the most famous alien in SF "Sooperman".  Top shelf.

I always say about Iron Giant's first run, greatest reaction of any marathon film, EVER.
After the Superman line, silence from a stunned audience, the only sound was the sniffing as we fought back tears.
This was before it had been discovered on video so many were seeing it for the first time.

Just added, this years overlooked classic "Edge Of Tomorrow" I still wonder why this was not a bigger hit.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #51 - Dec 31st, 2014 at 12:28pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

The guest for SF40.  A titan of sf film. Douglas Trumbull will be the guest.  Perfect for 2001.  The master's fingerprints are all over this event of ours.  SFX creds: 2001, Bladerunner, CE3K, Star Trek, Silent Running, Andromeda Strain.  Directing credits: Silent Running and Brainstorm.  This is going to be quite a celebration.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #52 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 5:14pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i can't wait to ask him what he knows about the natalie wood "accident"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #53 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 12:05am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

The great Rod Taylor has just passed away.  The Time Machine for SF40?  It has been ten years (it was last seen at SF30).

One of my all-time favorite actors has passed. Rod Taylor RIP at 84. He was such a part of my childhood movie watching. As a kid, I watched him countless times at the Time Traveler H.G. Wells in The Time Machine. The Time Machine along with Forbidden Planet were the two movies most responsible for my love of science fiction. He was also in one of my favorite low budget science fiction films World Without End (basically a spin on The Time Machine). Aside from playing the Time Traveler, I watched Taylor as Mitch Brenner in The Birds many, many times. One of my favorite thriller/horror films of my childhood. Of course, there followed many films including, The Liquidator, Fate is the Hunter, Hotel, Sunday in New York, 36 Hours, Young Cassidy, Dark of the Sun, etc. However, I will always remember him as The Time Traveler and Mitch Brenner

IP Logged

Reply #54 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 1:49am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Rod's is one of the iconic roles in the genre. There's a nice behind the scenes extra on the DVD from about a decade ago.

Here's an excerpt.

Frank wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 12:05am:
The great Rod Taylor has just passed away.  The Time Machine for SF40?  It has been ten years (it was last seen at SF30).

One of my all-time favorite actors has passed. Rod Taylor RIP at 84. He was such a part of my childhood movie watching. As a kid, I watched him countless times at the Time Traveler H.G. Wells in The Time Machine. The Time Machine along with Forbidden Planet were the two movies most responsible for my love of science fiction. He was also in one of my favorite low budget science fiction films World Without End (basically a spin on The Time Machine). Aside from playing the Time Traveler, I watched Taylor as Mitch Brenner in The Birds many, many times. One of my favorite thriller/horror films of my childhood. Of course, there followed many films including, The Liquidator, Fate is the Hunter, Hotel, Sunday in New York, 36 Hours, Young Cassidy, Dark of the Sun, etc. However, I will always remember him as The Time Traveler and Mitch Brenner

IP Logged

Reply #55 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 9:13am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i have been pushing for "the birds" for a long time. it would be  a terrific feature for the marathon. it is absolutely riveting and horrifying.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #56 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 12:31am

kirok   Offline
God Member

so… any progress on getting "the birds" for the marathon? making tribute to a great actor namely rod taylor? also a great director….alfred hitchcock?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #57 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 2:02pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

kirok wrote on Jan 16th, 2015 at 12:31am:
so… any progress on getting "the birds" for the marathon? making tribute to a great actor namely rod taylor? also a great director….alfred hitchcock?

I'm afraid as of now, no word(s) on The Birds.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #58 - Jan 22nd, 2015 at 3:37pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

in addition to the birds i'd like to make my perennial request for being john malkovich, the adding machine, book of eli, cloud atlas, vanilla sky, and ed wood. do any of these have a chance?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4