WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
IDEAS & SUGGESTIONS for the big 4-0 Marathon! (Read 48436 times)
Aug 17th, 2014 at 4:56pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Our big 40th Marathon is coming up in February 2015!

Post your ideas and suggestions here!

Anybody like the idea of showing several old favorites along with a few new movies? Or, should it be ALL oldies? All First Timers!?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 8:07pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I find it hard to believe too and I've been there all the way.

I think we should have a mix of old and new.
Of course old is a relative term anyway, us oldtimers would say classic 50's films whereas others might think of films from before the year 2000 (or later.)

I'm going to work up a list of suggestions but right off the bat I was thinking we should definitely try to have the first film shown at SF1,
This Island Earth.

Also maybe a film released the year of the first marathon that has not been shown yet. Best choice might be the original
Rollerball.

Mainly because other choices would be
The Giant Spider Invasion
The Land That Time Forgot
Bug
Terror of Mechagodzilla

Although an interesting possibility might be
The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2014 at 4:21pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 8:07pm:
I find it hard to believe too and I've been there all the way.

I think we should have a mix of old and new.
Of course old is a relative term anyway, us oldtimers would say classic 50's films whereas others might think of films from before the year 2000 (or later.)

I'm going to work up a list of suggestions but right off the bat I was thinking we should definitely try to have the first film shown at SF1,
This Island Earth.

Also maybe a film released the year of the first marathon that has not been shown yet. Best choice might be the original
Rollerball.

Mainly because other choices would be
The Giant Spider Invasion
The Land That Time Forgot
Bug
Terror of Mechagodzilla

Although an interesting possibility might be
The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Great post!

If ANYBODY should be listened to, it's Brian since he's actually been to ALL the previous Marathons! (along with Simon).

I like a lot of these suggestions. Not sure how THIS ISLAND EARTH would go over post-MST3K.

And, believe it or not, a 35mm print of GIANT SPIDER INVASION exists!
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2014 at 6:51pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 12:11pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

I like the idea of including films from around the time the Marathon started (in that period where "2001" should have changed everything about the look of Science Fiction films and "Star Wars" actually did). "Westworld", "Phase IV", "Dark Star", "Soylent Green" and "Silent Running" have run recently. I recall from the old board that the only known surviving print of "Rollerball" was in terrible shape.

How About "Capricorn I" (1977)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077294/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

or Hammer's "Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell" (1974): Peter Cushing's last turn as the Doctor and David Prowse as the Monster.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071519/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Hammer has been actively restoring their classic titles. Maybe LA should keep an eye out for it. Wink
--------------
Then of course there's always "Zardoz" (1974)."Flesh Gordon" and "The Terminal Man" are also from 1974 but let's not go there.  Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 8:00am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

A Hammer era Frankenstein film might be a good idea.
Though I think I'd rather see Peter Cushing as the doctor in Dr Who and The Daleks, especially since we know there is a 35mm copy that The Brattle ran last year.

A film that is LOOOOOONG overdue being run is The Creature From The Black Lagoon, it may be the last of the 50's era classics that never showed at any marathon (though its sequels have.)

More recent titles
Dredd
Pacific Rim (both from last year and I know Pacific Rim has some really vocal opponents on the board)

The Edge of Tomorrow (this years very under appreciated summer action film that is really a great story.)

Some older stuff now, with a link to their trailers.

Altered States (as a tribute to makeup artist Dick Smith)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbYT3UclhNY

They Live (just cause we've never shown it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJC4R1uXDaE
Boy does that film have a cheesy trailer

Watchmen (this was a film made too early, before non comic readers really knew what a super hero film is like, this is a more serious version.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB3AxenYAyU

Sunshine (I'd never even heard of this film till I saw it show up on some online 'best sci-fi films you've never seen' lists)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veC25b8Vd2E

And finally my usual 'outside the box' idea.
Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope (a really fun documentary about the con that puts a nice human face on fandom and has a lot of heart. Plus the con itself has become a huge news story every year now.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN41gXXUlLI

That's it for this time.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 10:54am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

There are some nuggets here if someone can reach out. 
http://www.filmlinc.com/films/series/strange-lands-international-sci-fi

Them! is long overdue.

Not so wild about showing This Island Earth so close on the heels of MT3K. However, the original The Day The Earth Stood Still has not made an appearance in some time. The Andromeda Strain is way overdue for another look.  5 Million Years To Earth.  One Million Years B.C. (with Raquel)

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 2:17pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Aug 22nd, 2014 at 10:54am:
There are some nuggets here if someone can reach out. 
http://www.filmlinc.com/films/series/strange-lands-international-sci-fi

Them! is long overdue.

Not so wild about showing This Island Earth so close on the heels of MT3K. However, the original The Day The Earth Stood Still has not made an appearance in some time. The Andromeda Strain is way overdue for another look.  5 Million Years To Earth.  One Million Years B.C. (with Raquel)

The main thing to remember about This Island Earth is that it was the very first film shown at the very first marathon. That's the main reason for it show up at SF40.
Plus I would love to see its description from SF1 in a modern marathon program "The StarTrekiest"

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2014 at 2:12pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Damn, the board going down for a few days seems to have killed the thread.

Got a little inside info that a long planned upgrade to the Somerville is gonna double our film possibilities.

Now I'm off to draw up a list of 10 reasons why we SHOULD show Transformers 4 at SF40.

TALK ME OUT OF IT!!
Come on comment on mine and other suggestions here and make some of your own!

Added this pic for no particular reason

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 3:57pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Reasons #1 through #10 on no to TRANSFORMERS (any of the 4):
1. It sucks
2. It sucks
3. It sucks
4. It sucks
5. It sucks
6. It sucks
7. It sucks
8. It sucks
9. It sucks
10. It sucks real bad

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 8:53pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

One of the dream showings this year would be STAR WARS.

No, I'm not the biggest fan of it myself, but, it IS historically important to the 'Thon. At the 2nd Marathon in February 1977, a preview clip reel was shown AND soon-to-be collector's items Posters were given away (I wonder how many still exist in Marathoid hands?). Plus, along with CLOSE ENCOUNTERS 3K, it blew open the doors to the genre when the 'thon was but a mere child. Those two movies moved the marathon from the image of "those old 50s flicks" to blockbuster status.

BUT, it is highly unlikely to be shown:

- It's difficult to get permission from Lucas AND Fox to show it, period. As far back as SF/15 in 1990, STAR WARS was yanked from the schedule at the last minute.

- 35mm prints have been squirrled away. DCPs are all that are out there now. And......

---....those DCPs are from the notorious CGI re-release editions in the late-90s which both look like sh!t and are of the less desirable versions to boot.

--- And, even if those issues could be overcome (or ignored), read this account from a theater who wanted, REALLY WANTED, to show this for this past year's May The Fourth Be With You day:

http://astortheatreblog.wordpress.com/2014/05/07/why-we-didnt-show-star-wars-on-...

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 10:32pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Aug 29th, 2014 at 8:53pm:

No, I'm not the biggest fan of it myself, but, it IS historically important to the 'Thon. At the 2nd Marathon in February 1977, a preview clip reel was shown AND soon-to-be collector's items Posters were given away (I wonder how many still exist in Marathoid hands?). Plus, along with CLOSE ENCOUNTERS 3K, it blew open the doors to the genre when the 'thon was but a mere child. Those two movies moved the marathon from the image of "those old 50s flicks" to blockbuster status.

BUT, it is highly unlikely to be shown:

- It's difficult to get permission from Lucas AND Fox to show it, period. As far back as SF/15 in 1990, STAR WARS was yanked from the schedule at the last minute.

- 35mm prints have been squirrled away. DCPs are all that are out there now. And......

---....those DCPs are from the notorious CGI re-release editions in the late-90s which both look like sh!t and are of the less desirable versions to boot.

--- And, even if those issues could be overcome (or ignored), read this account from a theater who wanted, REALLY WANTED, to show this for this past year's May The Fourth Be With You day:

http://astortheatreblog.wordpress.com/2014/05/07/why-we-didnt-show-star-wars-on-...

Maybe its just a case of things have really changed.
Star Wars was shown at SF10, we were permitted to show it ONLY if we agreed to tell everyone that Lucasfilm had let us do it. We also got 20,000 Leagues from Disney only if we agreed to NEVER tell anyone they let us show it.
Kinda weird that now the same company owns both.

Biggest problem I see with getting Star Wars is that they are going to finally do a DVD release of the original version. I would not be surprised if they do a theatrical re-release before it comes out.

That being said, it still just might be possible, wonder who actually owns theatrical rights since it was released by Fox.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 4:20pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

da_Bunnyman wrote on Aug 29th, 2014 at 10:32pm:
That being said, it still just might be possible, wonder who actually owns theatrical rights since it was released by Fox.

Disney owns the theatrical releasing (and all other) rights.
     And it kind of figures: Lucas modeled himself on Walt, & when it came to ripping off children with inferior garbage, those two hucksters will never be topped.

Neither Fox nor Lucas has anything to say about it anymore.  As I said, Disney owns all the rights.

Quote:
- 35mm prints have been squirreled away. DCPs are all that are out there now. And......

Film Forum in New York recently ran an "archival 35mm print" for their Alec Guinness festival.  So prints are out there & available, if you push the right buttons.
     In addition, I know where to locate some copies, but it's even money whether I would go through the trouble.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 4:42pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Aug 30th, 2014 at 4:20pm:
[quote author=2F2A093E252532262A254B0 link=1408312569/10#10 date=1409369572]That being said, it still just might be possible, wonder who actually owns theatrical rights since it was released by Fox.

Disney owns the theatrical releasing (and all other) rights.
     And it kind of figures: Lucas modeled himself on Walt, & when it came to ripping off children with inferior garbage, those two hucksters will never be topped.

David the Projectionist wrote on Aug 30th, 2014 at 4:20pm:
   Neither Fox nor Lucas has anything to say about it anymore.  As I said, Disney owns all the rights.

Unfortunately, the Film Forum screening, while on film, was of the CGI-infected 1997 re-release.

More importantly, the original film ("A New Hope") is still owned by Fox and Lucas. The rights to the sequels and new movies is owned by Disney.

As per the two Hollywood Industry bibles:

From The Hollywood Reporter: "But Fox owns distribution rights to the original Star Wars, No. 4 in the series, in perpetuity in all media worldwide."

From Variety: "Disney controls the “Star Wars” vault with one significant exception — the original 1977 pic, for which 20th Century Fox has distribution rights in all media in perpetuity."

Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 6:48pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Aug 30th, 2014 at 4:42pm:
Unfortunately, the Film Forum screening, while on film, was of the CGI-infected 1997 re-release.

Well, youve have a problem here.  All the original domestic prints from 1977 will have completely faded to red by this point.  You wanna show one of those?  (The 1997 prints are on LPP stock.)  I dont think thats a good idea.  If you want a print with colour, you have only one choice.
     There is an exception, however: that would be the British IB Technicolor prints, of which I think maybe ten survive.  Lucas owns one, but he seizes any of those he can find, & I dont believe he ever has (or ever will) let that print out.  He doesnt want the original version shown.
     Now, I'm not saying it cant be done, but my palm, and a couple of others, would have to be crossed with a considerable amount of silver, & I dont see that happening, for some reason.  (I repeat: considerable.)
     The OCN for Star Wars is worthless at this point: it has faded beyond recovery, and, further, was severely damaged by a lab in Japan (long story).  Any & all versions of that movie released in any format now have to come from video and/or digital masters.

Quote:
More importantly, the original film ("A New Hope") is still owned by Fox and Lucas. The rights to the sequels and new movies is owned by Disney.

Didnt know this.  Thank you.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 7:17pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

That's why I prefaced my opening comment that it was a long longshot to show the original STAR WARS. Too bad. It has a historical connection to the Marathon as well as, of course, the genre from during the period of the Marathon's birth.

Oh, well. There's always THE PHANTOM MENACE on DCP!

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4