WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: if you could burn all copies of "Niagravation" would you?

« Created by: kirok on: Jan 2nd, 2015 at 5:26pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 
MARATHON FROM HELL - ANTI-Suggested movies! (Read 36444 times)
Nov 22nd, 2014 at 6:45pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Yeah, yeah. Classic movies. Ho-hum.

How about suggestions for your:

MARATHON FROM HELL
!??

Like THIS tasty entry:

THE FLYING SAUCER (1950). Way back at SF/22 our collaboration with quixotic classic film distributor Wade Williams procured us this tasty morsel of........very little! Reams of stock footage. A guy wandering around Alaska. And, wandering. Walking, flying and smoking cigarettes (at one point he muses about the pristine beauty of our 50th state and then casually pollutes it with a cigarette butt!). There's a lame Commie spy plot involved and then in the last 30 seconds of the seemingly endless flick we get to see.........The Flying Saucer! All in glorious 35mm film! Just think of all the great movies forever lost on celluloid, but there was this stinker!

EVIL L.A.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 10:51pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Ah yes, Flying Saucer, truly pointless and made only so there could be a film called "Flying Saucer" in theaters before the phrase faded into obscurity. Smiley

ALMOST as dull is SF7's Slithis (AKA Spawn of the Slithis.) One of those films made because someone knew someone who could make a cool monster costume. With a wooden lead actor and a creature spawned from "organic mud" both of whom were equally frozen faced.
It might be the dullest (non art) film to play the marathon, if it weren't for this guy.

For those of you who follow us on Facebook, forgive me for inflicting this on you again. But there is overacting and then there is this guy who literally woke up the entire theater crowd. Unfortunately he did not stay in the movie long and most marathoids faded back to sleep convinced he'd been just another bad dream.

Alas the audience at the marathon did NOT receive the Slithis Survival Kit mentioned on the poster

da EVIL Bunny has spoken
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2014 at 10:20pm by da_Bunnyman »  

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 3:02pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Roger Ebert pointed out that films should be judged by different standards depending on their aspirations and resources. To make a  true turkey you have to waste a lot of resources.
So. In no particular order, my Marathon from Hell:
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
Battlefield Earth
Highlander 2, The Quickening
Adventures of Pluto Nash
Waterworld
Lost In Space
The Core
Zardoz
(Sorry camp lovers)
and for David the P.
Howard the Duck

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 3:24pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Ebert makes a decent point there (I think that was why he and Siskel dropped their old 'Stinker of the Week' segment since they usually just beat up on low budget crapola). BUT, the Marathon has had its share of low budget "waste of resources", too (same goes for Ohio from what I've read).

pogo wrote on Nov 23rd, 2014 at 3:02pm:
Roger Ebert pointed out that films should be judged by different standards depending on their aspirations and resources. To make a  true turkey you have to waste a lot of resources.
So. In no particular order, my Marathon from Hell:
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
Battlefield Earth
Highlander 2, The Quickening
Adventures of Pluto Nash
Waterworld
Lost In Space
The Core
Zardoz
(Sorry camp lovers)
and for David the P.
Howard the Duck

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 2:20pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

alphaville would be pretty hellacious

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 3:08pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Nov 25th, 2014 at 2:20pm:

I just saw the new 4K restoration of ALPHAVILLE on the big screen.

THANK YOU for reminding me
TO
recommend it for the Marathon, Kirok!

It's an EXCELLENT movie!

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 4:45pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

it will be a snoozefest. it will get the dreaded clap off.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 5:23pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Nov 25th, 2014 at 4:45pm:

Philistines!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 10:10pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 25th, 2014 at 5:23pm:
kirok wrote on Nov 25th, 2014 at 4:45pm:

Philistines!

Art films from that era are pretty notorious for being kinda dull.

Oddly I remember trying to watch this film several times, it used to show up on Channel 56 Sunday afternoon movies.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 10:41pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

You want art, you got it.
From SF29, our sole excursion to the Dedham Community Theater comes this infamous film
A large international cast, every one of whom seems to speak a different language onscreen.
But the worst part was the film refused to end. I'm half convinced it's still running.
I found a DVD of it at a rental store sale which claimed it featured an even longer uncut version. How can something be longer than eternity!

Poster image stolen from Rosemary's Baby

It only LOOKS interesting.

franchises available.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 11:15am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 25th, 2014 at 3:08pm:
kirok wrote on Nov 25th, 2014 at 2:20pm:

I just saw the new 4K restoration of ALPHAVILLE on the big screen.
THANK YOU for reminding me
TO
recommend it for the Marathon, Kirok!
It's an EXCELLENT movie!

In your diseased opinion.  In actuality, it's a stupid, boring, pretentious, incoherent piece of rancid garbage (like everything else made by the supremely untalented & worthless Godard) which will narcotize the audience into a stupor from which it will never recover.
     It never ceases to amaze me how many of the ever-dwindling people on this board are in awe of utter crap.  Snowpiercer & Moonraker arent bad enough?  Lets run The Postman, too.
     Jesus.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 12:07pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Just like Tarkovsky's SOLARIS, Godard's ALPHAVILLE will likely remain in the marathon of the mind. Both are very good, but, aren't "Marathon movies". I know that, and so have the marathon programmers since the beginning.

But, to compare SNOWPIERCER and ALPHAVILLE to Costner's bloated disaster show's David's tiny narrow perspective on what constitutes a good movie more than anything.

David the Projectionist wrote on Nov 26th, 2014 at 11:07am:
L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 26th, 2014 at 3:37am:
There won't be many more movies shot and shown that way (a travesty, but, a sad reality for now).

Not true.  Tarantino is shooting his latest in 65, & intends to release it fairly wide on 70mm.

I guess David's dyslexia is kicking in again. He seems to have read "many more" as "no more".
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2014 at 5:40pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2014 at 7:16pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

as i've said many times before, badness does not preclude a movie from being shown at the marathon. i did see slowlaris at the harvard film archive with a packed house and the reaction was very positive.
if some people love alphaville and some people hate it, it should be shown.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 3:10am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

SLITHIS
might surprise folks who hated it at SF/7 all those years ago. One of our former Ohio Marathon guests, Carter, and I saw SLITHIS in a nice 35mm print a couple of years ago and were entertained (AND we did get our Survival Kits!) Is it a "good" movie? Nope, but, decent retro schlock. Of course, at SF/7 folks were lead to believe they were seeing a decent new film and that certainly wasn't the case.

DEMONLOVER
- Yes, there is a cut that is Fourteen minutes longer than the general release USA version! SF/41? Nah, it's an arthouse film that didn't work on its own terms, let alone at the Marathon (not nearly as bad as some would have it, though).

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 8:50pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Tarkovsky's SOLARIS would be pretty painful at 2AM, but I think, if programed correctly, the Soderbergh remake may work nicely with our crowd.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3