WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Official Discussion thread - SF/39 Feb.2014 (Read 82873 times)
Reply #75 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 12:46pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

David, do you know how many of the films this year will be digital sources as opposed to actual prints?
The question came up on a Facebook posting and I'll trying to convince a few folks that this is worth their effort to get here this year.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #76 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 1:43pm

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 11:36am:
Neil_N wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 10:01am:
My only regret is that Garen chose not to book the SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO movie, since it was finally available this year. It would have been a Blu-Ray screening, but I still believe it would make a great marathon movie.

Always heartening to see that people are willing to spend money to watch a format they can play for themselves at home.  Gives me real hope for the future of exhibition.  Angry

If the distributor isn't going to bother to even make a proper digital exhibition copy available, you go with what you've got. I know that there's a subtitled 35mm festival print of Yamato available, but apparently the Japanese licensor didn't make that available to Eleven Arts for the US showings. And Eleven Arts told me that they didn't have the money to strike any film prints, so any showings booked through them would just be off of Blu-Ray. Sadly, the Japanese companies are doing this more and more. Pretty much any anime movie screening ends up being off of Blu-Ray nowadays. It doesn't matter that Yamato is a big-budget (for Japan) live action hit movie. They just don't want to spend ANYTHING on foreign distro anymore. Any screenings just end up as publicity for the home video release.

IP Logged

Reply #77 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 2:02pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Neil N:
You also have to slap in about two hours for the 5-10 minute breaks between films, as well as shorts and what have you.

That's true. I'm no stranger to the lineup and its quirks. Here's what we've been privately using to plan the amount of break music. Breaks between prime-time slots often have contests and presentations which mean no break music. Never really knowing which films will fill those slots, we come armed with about ten minutes of songs for each movie just to be safe. If a silent film has a live performance we add another ten minutes of music to cover the time the performer needs to break down his setup. ("20,000 Leagues" for example) I suspect that if HOMONUCULUS has a performer it will be in prime time and Garen and LA will schedule a lights-on contest to fill the void.

Title                  Mins            H:M:S      
     Introduction                              0:05:00      
     Duck Dodgers                              0:07:00      
     FLASH GORDON                  111            1:51:00      
                                   0:10:00      
     DR. WHO & THE DALEKS                  82            1:22:00      
     THE VISITOR                  90            1:30:00      
     In Memoriam                              0:10:00      
     ELECTRIC DREAMS                  95            1:35:00      
     Trivia                              0:10:00      
     GRABBERS                  94            1:34:00      
     Guest Speaker                              0:45:00      
     THE POWER                  108            1:48:00      
     Mating Call                              0:10:00      
     WORLD THE FLESH & THE DEVIL                  95            1:35:00      
     Tinfoil Hat                              0:10:00      
     SILENT RUNNING                  89            1:29:00      

Secret Event

0:20:00      
     EUROPA REPORT                  90            1:30:00      
     WESTWORLD                  88            1:28:00      
     THE TRUMAN SHOW                  103            1:43:00      
     FIRST MEN IN THE MOON                  103            1:43:00      
     HOMUNCULUS                  113            1:53:00      
     Sum                  1261            23:58:00      

Note: This is not official -just my working estimate. It looks like room for a short or two but that's just about it. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2014 at 4:32pm by R_F_Fineman »  

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #78 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 2:24pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Secret event?
Do you know something we don't or is that the screenwriters talk?

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #79 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 2:36pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 2:24pm:
Secret event?

Not sure if RF knows but stay tuned for a surprise or two. 

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #80 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 2:51pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
da_Bunnyman wrote Today at 2:24pm:
Secret event?

Frank:

I know NOTHING!

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #81 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 3:00pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 2:36pm:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 2:24pm:
Secret event?

By stay tuned, I mean attend the thon! Smiley Smiley

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #82 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 4:31pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Correction:

My total time was off.

The total time should read:
23:58:00

Presenting the "Gort Award" is another event that takes place during one of the breaks as well. All of this speculative calculation is just to say they have the Marathon lineup accounted for. Don't expect any new titles.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #83 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 11:50am

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

Now, what to choose for a dinner break? [/quote]

Dinner break? What's that? I never leave the theater for the entire 24 hours.

IP Logged

Reply #84 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 2:06pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Dinsdale wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 11:50am:
Now, what to choose for a dinner break?

Dinner break? What's that? I never leave the theater for the entire 24 hours. [/quote]

That's the spirit!  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #85 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 4:58pm

Spatch from the balcony   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Balcony or bust!
Davis Square

Solid lineup. Solid, solid lineup. Sonya and I are looking forward to it. We saw WESTWORLD at the Somerville's mini Terror-Thon a few months back, but it's good. Nice print IIRC.

IP Logged

Reply #86 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:44am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Agree w. Misters Fineman, Bunnyman, Frank & others that this looks like an extremely strong lineup.
I particularly like the scheduling of Homoculus   along with more accessible films. Also the Harryhausen.
There are a few others (Westworld, World,the Flesh---, Silent Running --) that I wouldn't have scheduled, but I suffer from the disability of attendance at other Marathons. It ain't the films, it's me.
Flash Gordon I can certainly do without, having been bored by a showing at an Ohio festival less than a year ago. I think that those like me, who have (had) not seen it lately probably have a positive memory of classic cheese. Unfortunately it's not "Classic", it's just bad.
I would really like to see Coherance, both due to the reviews and having had an advanced letch for Elizabeth Gracen for years. Please keep it on hand should another film self destruct or otherwise be a no show. I will attempt to see it at the Festival, but won't be in Bostown for long, so that probably won't happen.
Anyway. As a visitor from afar I am looking forward to this lineup as eagerly as any, at any city's marathon, in quite some years. Thanks to the responsibles.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #87 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:24pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I guess that's the 'danger' of attending too many Marathons!
Smiley

One of the main reasons I've never made it to Ohio despite encouragement from friends there. Too much overlap, and too close together on the calendar.  Undecided Undecided

WESTWORLD and WORLD FLESH & DEVIL have NEVER played the Boston Marathon. SILENT RUNNING for 35 years! FLASH GORDON for 30!

And, from what I gather, the Boston crowd seems to dig good/bad cult films more than the Ohio one, so I think FLASH will do fine here.

pogo wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:44am:
Agree w. Misters Fineman, Bunnyman, Frank & others that this looks like an extremely strong lineup.
I particularly like the scheduling of Homoculus   along with more accessible films. Also the Harryhausen.
There are a few others (Westworld, World,the Flesh---, Silent Running --) that I wouldn't have scheduled, but I suffer from the disability of attendance at other Marathons. It ain't the films, it's me.
Flash Gordon I can certainly do without, having been bored by a showing at an Ohio festival less than a year ago. I think that those like me, who have (had) not seen it lately probably have a positive memory of classic cheese. Unfortunately it's not "Classic", it's just bad.
I would really like to see Coherance, both due to the reviews and having had an advanced letch for Elizabeth Gracen for years. Please keep it on hand should another film self destruct or otherwise be a no show. I will attempt to see it at the Festival, but won't be in Bostown for long, so that probably won't happen.
Anyway. As a visitor from afar I am looking forward to this lineup as eagerly as any, at any city's marathon, in quite some years. Thanks to the responsibles.

IP Logged

Reply #88 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 3:44pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
LA: I guess that's the 'danger' of attending too many Marathons!...

Marathons: they're all about preparation! Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #89 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:07pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:24pm:
I guess that's the 'danger' of attending too many Marathons!
Smiley

One of the main reasons I've never made it to Ohio despite encouragement from friends there. Too much overlap, and too close together on the calendar.  Undecided Undecided

WESTWORLD and WORLD FLESH & DEVIL have NEVER played the Boston Marathon. SILENT RUNNING for 35 years! FLASH GORDON for 30!

And, from what I gather, the Boston crowd seems to dig good/bad cult films more than the Ohio one, so I think FLASH will do fine here.

pogo wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:44am:

In that case L.A., to quote Cool McCool "Danger is my business"  Cool (damn that's an obscure cartoon to quote from)
This is a solid lineup, no big recent blockbusters but lots of interesting ones. As to the absence of indie films like Coherence, lets face it after the reception last year you may not see many at the 'thon again. World The Flesh & The Devil is really obscure these days despite being a big budget hit in its time. Most folks likely know Corman cheapies better than this one.
Silent Running back after 35 years seems right but has it really been 30 since we showed Flash? Maybe because we almost always see the trailer (which is actually more enjoyable than the film.) Westworld's been a film I've been requesting for decades so I don't mind seeing it again. Homuculus is unseen in almost a century, not sure I'll like it but I'm looking forward to saying I've seen it and likely mispronouncing the title. Smiley
The weakest title looks like 70's schlock piece The Visitor and those often turn out to be a lot of fun.
And Dr Who & The Daleks is sure to lend itself to some repeated catchphrases. I still say dump alien Mating Call and replace with "Unlikeliest Thing A Dalek Would say Contest".
Not discussed before but I hope we can take advantage of the video projection system used last year to show the twilight Zone ep and tribute to stars who passed away.
While quality might not be the best it'll enable us to get shorts from YouTube such as Daicon III/IV and of course the original Wizard of Speed & Time among many others.

Sorry for rambling a bit, the marathon madness is hitting me hard.  Grin

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8