WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Getting Ready for the 'Thon (Read 20837 times)
Feb 9th, 2013 at 2:15pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The last week of prep!

Of course, Boston still has to dig out from the storm, so that's the first priority.

Here's what I'm listening to today to get psyched up. What are you doing to get prepped?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 11:30pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Watching science fiction movies of course.  Yesterday, Teenagers From Outer Space and Giant Behemoth.  Today, Bucket of Blood (yea it's not science fiction but as a member of the Dick Miller Fan Club I could not pass it up it's on Epix on demand.  After that , I saw Epix also had Inframan and that is where I am now. 

There are other weapons I haven't given you as yet. For success it's essential you have thunderball fists.
I can have such a thing?
That's right, thunderball fists!

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 12:40pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I take the opposite approach, and go dry for weeks before the 'thon. I can't even remember the last SF movie I watched, save for some stray episodes of The Twilight Zone.

Today's listening:

Frank wrote on Feb 9th, 2013 at 11:30pm:
Watching science fiction movies of course.  Yesterday, Teenagers From Outer Space and Giant Behemoth.  Today, Bucket of Blood (yea it's not science fiction but as a member of the Dick Miller Fan Club I could not pass it up it's on Epix on demand.  After that , I saw Epix also had Inframan and that is where I am now. 

There are other weapons I haven't given you as yet. For success it's essential you have thunderball fists.
I can have such a thing?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 3:58pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 12:40pm:
I take the opposite approach, and go dry for weeks before the 'thon. I can't even remember the last SF movie I watched, save for some stray episodes of The Twilight Zone.

Today's listening:

Frank wrote on Feb 9th, 2013 at 11:30pm:

I can have such a thing?

I guess there are fans of science fiction movies who can watch it year round and then there are the other guys......

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 7:49pm

G.I. Joe   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Fightin' for a better
Marathon

I usually go cold turkey for a while before the 'thon becuz I'm 'noid that they're gonna book something that i just saw. Like that year that Cloverfield when it was still in theaters. any bombshells coming this week?

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 9:55am

Jon   Offline
MA

The storm has me rattled, now.  I can't seem to even think about prepping right now.  Usually I am running to the store to get special stuff to bruing along, planning my menu, packing, etc. 
I think I'm just going to show up whenever I remember to do so.  After 37 years, I still love the darned event, no matter what, so....
Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 12:04pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

My Guide On How To STAY AWAKE all 24 Hours!

Been going to Marathons since...gulp...1979 and have never fallen asleep!

First, I know that it is NOT A MUST to stay awake. This is a guide IF you wish to try (Only an IF). Second, yes, know your body. If you can take gallons of coffee and greasy spicy food at 4am - go for it. But, these are some tried and true suggestions. Just, suggestions....

Tips:

1. GET SOME REST before the Marathon. Easier said than done sometimes, I understand. Particularly, if the Marathon starts at Midnight! But, do your best. Also, I start a Vitamin, Echinesia, Zinc pill-popping regimen the week before the Marathon to be as illness resistant as I can.

2. LIMIT CAFFEINE. One year, early on in my Marathon career, I thought popping No-Doz and drinking coffee was a good idea. It wasn't. 3/4 of the way through, I thought I was having an ulcer right smack in the middle of DEMON SEED (that 'demon' was in my stomach!). More importantly, the constant ups and downs eventually catches up to you (same goes for excessive Sugar intake). Some folks have a higher built-up tolerence, but go easy.

3. Wear COMFORTABLE CLOTHES. That Klingon mask and paraphernalia might seem cool at noon, but by midnight, it likely won't. Also, a pillow or neck/back support might be in order.

4. EAT as LITTLE as possible. Again, early on, I looked forward to the Marathon as a 24 hour junk food party. Over the years, I have seen many Marathoners "go down for the count" long before the finish line due to upset stomachs. Pizza, burritos, Chinese, Indian, Thai food are all favorites of mine, but I would stay away from them. I eat a big breakfast. Then nibble, nibble, nibble all day and night with only 1 warm meal (usually just a chicken sandwich without fries, shakes or too many condiments). Maybe , something warm for breakfast. Otherwise, it's pretzels, chocolate covered raisins, several Power/Energy bars and lots and lots of water. Boring? Yup, but this post is about SURVIVAL!!

5. GET UP AND MOVE AROUND!! I pop out of my seat after EVERY SINGLE MOVIE and move around. If you think to yourself, "Oh, I'll just grab a little 5 minute nap between movies" - you're likely a goner. That walk around will do you much more good than a 5 minute nap. Longer naps are another story (for wimps!), but this post is about staying awake the whole 24.

Most important tip:

6. PSYCH YOURSELF UP!! Come on, this is one (long) day a year! ONE! You can't get psychologically tuned up to stay awake one little night a year?! Think of all the cool movies and shorts you are going to see! All the bad puns and callbacks you'll hear! The fun you have reminicing with fellow Marathoners throughout the year! The pride and honor of being a 24 HOUR SURVIVOR! You CAN do it!! I ain't into any of that New Age mind over body holistic hooey - but, in this one instance where it makes sense; I think a LOT of what defeats Marathoners IS in their head. If you say to yourself, "That slow draggy movie at 4am is going to KILL ME" - then it will happen. Instead, repeat to yourself - "I will stay awake, I will!"

That's it. 6 simple rules to follow, and you can join the Android brigade like myself! You'll never miss a single ray gun shooting, alien attack, day for night scene, cheezy line of dialogue, CGI overloaded frame, vintage trailer or Major Tom quip again!!
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:55pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:47pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 12:04pm:
My Guide On How To STAY AWAKE all 24 Hours!

I, of course, make radically different preparations.  Roll Eyes

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 9:26am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 9:59am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

LA: The "Gattaca" soundtrack is a real beuty and goes so well with the visual beauty of tha fine film. I'm a big fan!

Last night's "Mars et Avril" was a pleasant surprise. When I heard it revolved a futuristic jazz musician, I gave out a full Luke Skywalker "Nooooooooo! NOT MODERN JAZZ!". The music, by the composer who gave us "Triplets of Belleville" was actually very pretty. The visuals too were well above my expectation. Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 3:18pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

My Guide On How To STAY AWAKE all 24 Hours! 2014 Update

Been going to Marathons since...gulp...1979 and have never fallen asleep!

First, I know that it is NOT A MUST to stay awake. This is a guide IF you wish to try (Only an IF). Second, yes, know your body. If you can take gallons of coffee and greasy spicy food at 4am - go for it. But, these are some tried and true suggestions. Just, suggestions....

Tips:

1. GET SOME REST before the Marathon. Easier said than done sometimes, I understand. Particularly, if the Marathon starts at Midnight! But, do your best. Also, I start a Vitamin, Echinesia, Zinc pill-popping regimen the week before the Marathon to be as illness resistant as I can.

2. LIMIT CAFFEINE. One year, early on in my Marathon career, I thought popping No-Doz and drinking coffee was a good idea. It wasn't. 3/4 of the way through, I thought I was having an ulcer right smack in the middle of DEMON SEED (that 'demon' was in my stomach!). More importantly, the constant ups and downs eventually catches up to you (same goes for excessive Sugar intake). Some folks have a higher built-up tolerence, but go easy.

3. Wear COMFORTABLE CLOTHES. That Klingon mask and paraphernalia might seem cool at noon, but by midnight, it likely won't. Also, a pillow or neck/back support might be in order.

4. EAT as LITTLE as possible. Again, early on, I looked forward to the Marathon as a 24 hour junk food party. Over the years, I have seen many Marathoners "go down for the count" long before the finish line due to upset stomachs. Pizza, burritos, Chinese, Indian, Thai food are all favorites of mine, but I would stay away from them. I eat a big breakfast. Then nibble, nibble, nibble all day and night with only 1 warm meal (usually just a chicken sandwich without fries, shakes or too many condiments). Maybe , something warm for breakfast. Otherwise, it's pretzels, chocolate covered raisins, several Power/Energy bars and lots and lots of water. Boring? Yup, but this post is about SURVIVAL!!

5. GET UP AND MOVE AROUND!! I pop out of my seat after EVERY SINGLE MOVIE and move around. If you think to yourself, "Oh, I'll just grab a little 5 minute nap between movies" - you're likely a goner. That walk around will do you much more good than a 5 minute nap. Longer naps are another story (for wimps!), but this post is about staying awake the whole 24.

6. JOIN IN! If the audience ritually claps - CLAP ALONG! Rice Chex, Wheat Chex? Make a choice and proclaim it to everyone! When a 'Mark' comes on screen or the name is uttered - you know what to do. Cheer on contestants in the contests! Give thanks to Garen, Ian, Frank, Major Tom and the many others who help put on the show, especially the Somerville Staff. All of this not only helps the spirit of the Event, but, it also helps YOU become involved and raise your enthusiasm level!

Most important tip:

7. PSYCH YOURSELF UP!! Come on, this is one (long) day a year! ONE! You can't get psychologically tuned up to stay awake one little night a year?! Think of all the cool movies and shorts you are going to see! All the bad puns and callbacks you'll hear! The fun you have reminicing with fellow Marathoners throughout the year! The pride and honor of being a 24 HOUR SURVIVOR! You CAN do it!! I ain't into any of that New Age mind over body holistic hooey - but, in this one instance where it makes sense; I think a LOT of what defeats Marathoners IS in their head. If you say to yourself, "That slow draggy movie at 4am is going to KILL ME" - then it will happen. Instead, repeat to yourself - "I will stay awake, I will!"

That's it. 7 simple rules to follow, and you can join the Android brigade like myself! You'll never miss a single ray gun shooting, alien attack, day for night scene, cheezy line of dialogue, CGI overloaded frame, vintage trailer or Major Tom quip again!!

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 11:22pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Geez staying up for the entire 24 hours?
I have to nap through at least one film to maintain even the level of sanity I start with.
But I figure I've made it through SF10 (36 hours kiddies)
And Demonlover the movie that refused to end
Plus The worlds longest still, picture TheTerminal Man
So cut me some slack (as "Bob" used to say)

I've also had an over caffeinated experience like L.A. where I rally wanted to sleep through a film and couldn't!
Also avoid those canned energy drinks, they're just caffeine and sugar 
I really do recommend those little 5 Hour Energy drinks. They use B-12 so no crashing and no coffee nerve jitters.
And definitely get at least one hot meal even if you bring it back to the theater.
Found a great place near the theater when we went to TerrorThon.
It's called Deli-Iscious
http://www.yelp.com/biz/deli-icious-somerville

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 11:09am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

The Somerville has much better than average restroom facilities for a theater that age. As long as Marathoners take responsibility for keeping it clean, it serves well for 24 hours. I always bring deodorant, toothpaste and a small packet of santi-wipes. They serve me well. While I never come out of the Marathon the way I went in, at least I don't horrify monday passengers on the T.

Many board members remember the Coolidge before it was upgraded. We had it rough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 2:41pm

Jon   Offline
MA

What!?! The Festival is under way, and it's time again, already?!?  Where did the time go?  Every year I bring less and less to the 'Thon.  Soon it'll be just the towel and the Guide...Wink  Oh, and the ticket(s)....

After 38 years, I realize the only thing I really have to remember is, "LAYERS!"  Clothing is key.  I can get everything else once I arrive.  Once in place, I can wear a layer at a time so I'm not living in the same clothes (yuch!) for 24 hours.  Mouthwash can help, of course, and deodorant, as mentioned elsewhere, but mostly clothing (and meds -- I'm old now) is what I'll bring along - oh, and a Groupon or two for nearby restaurants, just in case.  Other than that, family and friends (should I have any left by then) will bring and take care of themselves.  And there'll be SCI-FI MOVIES for 24 hours!!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 4:29pm

Stuart   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

LA pretty much said it all.  Some years I pig out and/or over-indulge in caffeine and snooze the 'thon away.  On the other hand, I've learned that if I limit my food and coffee/soda intake I get to actually watch the movies!  Also, the food and caffeine can lead to various forms of discomfort.

One year I ate a whole package of chocolate covered espresso beans.  The combination of tired and wired made me feel ill enough to go home, where I was still too spent to stay awake and too jittery to fall asleep.  For me it was the worst 'thon (SF21, I think).

I don't think that I ever stayed completely awake for an entire 'thon, but the closest in recent years was SF32.  Which was a great year for me in several respects.  Both my kids joined me for the 'thon which was a big thrill for me.  I was very judicial in my eating and drinking choices, and I stayed awake for every movie other than the Stepford Wives, during which I crawled into a sleeping bag for a 90 minute power nap.

The first year I went to the 'thon (SF4) I didn't bring anything with me.  I also went through a phase about 15 years ago where I packed enough stuff for a weekend.  Now, I'm somewhere in between and I bring the following, more or less:
Hand wipes, talcum powder (great for my feet, and elsewhere!),  5 hour energy, pillow, blanket, change of socks, sensible snacks, advil.
See y'all Sunday!!!!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2