WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Official Discussion thread - SF/39 Feb.2014 (Read 82879 times)
Reply #90 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 11:38am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

I've mentioned before how excited I am any time a silent film hits the big screen at the Festival/Marathon.

Recently a lot of bloggers are "discovering" the "lost" silent "Aelita Queen of Mars" through Video/Online sources.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL6hG1erfFo

I consider myself truly fortunate to have seen it years ago at the Coolidge Marathon on the big screen with a theramin playing live. Aelita shown that way is a completely different experience than one gets on a Youtube screen.

Bring on HOMUNUCULUS! Cheesy

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #91 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 2:05pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

Not discussed before but I hope we can take advantage of the video projection system used last year to show the twilight Zone ep and tribute to stars who passed away.
While quality might not be the best it'll enable us to get shorts from YouTube such as Daicon III/IV and of course the original Wizard of Speed & Time among many others.

I'd love to see The Wizard again!

IP Logged

Reply #92 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 6:42pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

You're just trying to hurt Dave, aren't you? Smiley

(Also, if they do the "In Memorium" thing again, cut that sucker's length by half, and make it much less of a guessing game.)

IP Logged

Reply #93 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 9:22pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Dinsdale wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 2:05pm:
Not discussed before but I hope we can take advantage of the video projection system used last year to show the twilight Zone ep and tribute to stars who passed away.
While quality might not be the best it'll enable us to get shorts from YouTube such as Daicon III/IV and of course the original Wizard of Speed & Time among many others.

This is the best copy of the original Wizard of Speed and Time short I've ever seen.

This is better than the copy I saw at Off The Wall in the 80s.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #94 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 12:29am

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

Dinsdale wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 2:05pm:

But odd coincidence, I was just asking Garen if he'd lie to show my copy of the original Wizard of Speed and Time short (Which I had transferred off of a 16mm print a few years back onto Digital Betacam). I also have a very high quality copy of Daicon III and IV.

IP Logged

Reply #95 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 12:32am

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 9:22pm:
This is the best copy of the original Wizard of Speed and Time short I've ever seen.

This is better than the copy I saw at Off The Wall in the 80s.

You're welcome.  Cool

No, seriously, that's an upload of the transfer I personally had run at National Video Center on Commonwealth Ave a few years ago. The 16mm print it came from is in a drawer about three feet away from me right now. I have a DigiBeta and Mini DV copy as well. One of these days, when I have a few hundred dollars lying around, I'll transfer the educational film that also has a major Mike Jittlov segment in it.

IP Logged

Reply #96 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 1:16am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Would love to see these on the big screen, if not this year, which looks like it's a pretty full schedule, then next year as the 'thon turns the BIG 4-0!

IP Logged

Reply #97 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 11:41pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

If you look at the numbers, there's pretty close to the full number of minutes if you include contests and even nominal breaks.

But, there still may be a surprise or two!

Wink Wink

IP Logged

Reply #98 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 2:27pm

G.I. Joe   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Fightin' for a better
Marathon

F'n A!!

this is a hot lineup, soldiers!!

Very pumped!

First Men in the Moon - harryhausen ruled!

Westworld - always wanted to see this on the big screen

Silent Running - haven't seen it in years. cool spaceships and droids!

Dr. Who - yessir!

Europa Report - didn't see it, want to

Electric Dreams - ha! this should be fun for some retro laughs

The Visitor - if it is anything like The Apple, this should be a trip!

World Flesh & Devil - pretty obscure, but some black and white nuke destruction always fits the bill

Humonculous - silent films are always a treat. live music??

The Power - George Pal! And some trippy 60s effects. Should be cooool

Truman Show - ok. I like the movie, but sci-fi?

Grabbers - I guess we have to show something from the festival. Lets just PRAY TO GOD its better than Motivational Growth and Folklore and that stupid ass Screeming Forehead thingee. Speakin of that Motivational turd. I thought we were told it wuz gonna be a big cult hit by now! Yeah right!!!

Overall, this seems like a great lineup!

see you all in a week!

IP Logged

Reply #99 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 7:39pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

That's the spirit, er....officer!

G.I. Joe wrote on Feb 9th, 2014 at 2:27pm:
F'n A!!

this is a hot lineup, soldiers!!

Very pumped!

First Men in the Moon - harryhausen ruled!

Westworld - always wanted to see this on the big screen

Silent Running - haven't seen it in years. cool spaceships and droids!

Dr. Who - yessir!

Europa Report - didn't see it, want to

Electric Dreams - ha! this should be fun for some retro laughs

The Visitor - if it is anything like The Apple, this should be a trip!

World Flesh & Devil - pretty obscure, but some black and white nuke destruction always fits the bill

Humonculous - silent films are always a treat. live music??

The Power - George Pal! And some trippy 60s effects. Should be cooool

Truman Show - ok. I like the movie, but sci-fi?

Grabbers - I guess we have to show something from the festival. Lets just PRAY TO GOD its better than Motivational Growth and Folklore and that stupid ass Screeming Forehead thingee. Speakin of that Motivational turd. I thought we were told it wuz gonna be a big cult hit by now! Yeah right!!!

Overall, this seems like a great lineup!

see you all in a week!

IP Logged

Reply #100 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 11:26pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I would not worry too much G.I. Joe, "Grabbers" looks more like it'll be an Attack The Block type of film as opposed to Motivational Growth.

IP Logged

Reply #101 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 12:44am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Here's a DVD that will certainly sell to a number of Marathoners after seeing the bizarro THE VISITOR next week!

http://badassdigest.com/2014/02/07/double-dose-of-repertory-madness-from-draftho...

IP Logged

Reply #102 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 1:03am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

G.I. Joe wrote on Feb 9th, 2014 at 2:27pm:
Grabbers - I guess we have to show something from the festival.

Trust me, Grabbers is much better than the stuff that gets booked for the festival portion (or at least the stuff that Garen gets enthused for).  It's got actual special effects, competent actors, etc.

IP Logged

Reply #103 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 2:16am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Mentioned at the Fest tonight:  Homonculus has been canceled (insurance issues with the print, per Garen), and has been replaced with Children of Men.

IP Logged

Reply #104 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 4:28am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 2:16am:
Mentioned at the Fest tonight:  Homonculus has been canceled (insurance issues with the print, per Garen), and has been replaced with Children of Men.

Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8