WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Official Discussion thread - SF/39 Feb.2014 (Read 82869 times)
Reply #105 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 8:34am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 2:16am:
Mentioned at the Fest tonight:  Homonculus has been canceled (insurance issues with the print, per Garen), and has been replaced with Children of Men.

The loss of a potentially intriguing film, if nothing else it would have been one of those "only chance to ever see it on the big screen" moments that the marathon brings to film fans.

Children of Men is a good replacement.
Well reviewed, talented director but not a huge hit so many have not seen it. Good cast too.

Two years in a row of losing the silent film portion of the marathon.
Maybe next year for the 40th anniversary we'll get a silent rarity.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #106 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 9:28am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Loved Children of Men.  Looking forward to it.  It is terrific.  However, I am very sorry to lose Homonculus.

Children of Men is one of my favorite science fiction films.  Dystopia societies and humankind going out with a whimper instead of a bang are among my favorite themes. The fact that we are only a few bad decisions away from similar scenarios really hits home.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2014 at 10:54am by Frank »  

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #107 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 10:30am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Aaaaw.
Agree with the comments about Children of Men.  At least 4 performances, led by that of Clive Owen, could carry entire other films. Michael Caine alone gives you more than you'll see in a week of movie watching.
As part of the 39th Marathon quiz I asked what was your most genuinely scary film. For me Children--- was the answer. The Fascism & societal breakdown was a little too close to home. Unfortunately it was shown at the Cleveland Marathon last month, so I'll be sleeping.
Homonculus was the film that I was most looking forward to.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #108 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 11:40am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Children of Men also boasts a great soundtrack and oh yea Michael Caine gives a great performance (not in the least unusual).

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #109 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 12:23pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

As fate would have it CHILDREN OF MEN was on my warm-up list of movies to watch this week in anticipation of the 'Thon, but despite looking high and low I couldn't find my copy of the film. The SF Gods were watching over me.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #110 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 2:06pm

Drew   Offline
YaBB Newbies
@drawnonglass
Somerville, MA

This was posted in the Fest thread but is relevant here - Garen's mentioned during screenings that there will be a sidebar in the theaters downstairs during the thon, consisting of the shorts from the festival (the same as have played the 'fest) and a Russian cult film, "Kin Za Za,"
the Board is not letting me post links because it thinks I'm a brand new member for some reason, but you can find that on youtube if you're curious

IP Logged

Reply #111 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 2:33pm

Jon   Offline
MA

RE: Homunculus
Too bad.  I look forward to silent goodies on a big screen each year. [sigh]
However,
RE:  Children of Men
Suggested it early on and will be happy to see it.
I can always be silent, all by myself....  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #112 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 7:25pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

I too will miss "Homunculus" and hope to see it someday on the big screen. I would hope the the George Eastman House, which does such good work, could strike a print that can be shared with film festivals around the world.

High praise for "Children of Men"

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #113 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 4:12am

Spatch from the balcony   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Balcony or bust!
Davis Square

This will be a special Marathon for me. Two years ago I had an extra ticket to SF/37 and asked my friend Sonya, with whom I'd been hanging out quite a bit recently, if she'd like to come along. We had a great marathon together, bonded over Cronenberg and other goodies, and realized something was up when we didn't want to stop talking after it was all over. We stayed up several more hours having discussions over tea, finally said good-bye to go to our respective homes (and pass out), and started dating a week or so afterwards.

We've seen plenty of films together since, including two 'Thons and some mini-thons around the area. We got married in December and we still keep seeing films; we saw THE MONUMENTS MEN tonight at the Somerville and we'll be in the balcony on Sunday.

The Marathon has been a special part of my life for twenty years now, and sharing it with people I love has always been very important. I've brought a lot of friends along to the Marathon over the years but never did I think I'd end up going with my wife. While we didn't technically meet at the Marathon, what we learned from it (among other things) was that we could very easily stand each other's presence for twenty-four hours, and then some.

Balcony or bust!

IP Logged

Reply #114 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 12:47pm

L.A. Connection   Online
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Awesome story Spatch

IP Logged

Reply #115 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 2:46pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Spatch:
Two years ago I had an extra ticket to SF/37 and asked my friend Sonya, with whom I'd been hanging out quite a bit recently, if she'd like to come along. We had a great marathon together, bonded over Cronenberg and other goodies, and realized something was up when we didn't want to stop talking after it was all over...

Yes Spatch -a great story. Maybe next Valentine's Day one of those dull free weeklies that replaced the never dull Boston Phoenix will declare the Sci-fi Marathon as the place for singles to hook up!  Wink

You're listed as a "Newbie" which is, no doubt, the product of the system reboot that set us all to zero some time back. We in the know can truly attest that you are a seasoned veteran of Marathon films both famous and infamous.

Speaking of veterans, where's Projectionist Dave and his "print report"? It's always one of my favorite parts of the final days of the countdown.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #116 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 5:20pm

Rich Bartlett   Offline

Spatch, you and Sonya are a great couple. I'm glad to hear the marathon played such a great role in making it so.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8