WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
October 2013 TERROR-THON Thread (Read 30237 times)
Reply #30 - Oct 10th, 2013 at 3:27pm

Spatch from the balcony   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Balcony or bust!
Davis Square

Sonya and I will be there on Saturday. Can't wait.

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 10:15am

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

Had a great time at the Terror-Thon! The print quality was amazing with the exception of Buckaroo Banzai. Sad part was there were at best probably 60 attendees Embarrassed
The color in Dr. Cyclops blew me away!

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 11:39am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Dinsdale wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 10:15am:
Had a great time at the Terror-Thon! The print quality was amazing with the exception of Buckaroo Banzai. Sad part was there were at best probably 60 attendees Embarrassed
The color in Dr. Cyclops blew me away!

How many folks survived to the end? And, what order were the films shown in? Crowd reactions?

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 12:23pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

firstly. the terrorthon coincided with honkfest. i would describe the combined experience as surrealistic. i did not stay for tremors and i am regretting it and will continue to regret it for several days. i didn't want to ride home at 3 a.m. and fall asleepa at the wheel. i did not want to drink coffee and miss a night sleep. what time did it end?
the print of planet of the apes was worth the price of admission. i may never see it on the big screen again so i loved it. can we please get beneath the planet of the apes for the next marathon? also a big hit was the trailer for star trek 5. THIS IS A FAN FILM! the marathon audience may boost the overall appreciation of this neglected sequel.
this was a non snarking marathon. there was shushing and despite polite admonishment from the management certain breaking bad fans could not contain themselves when the actor who played Mike appeared in a speaking role in buckaroo banzai.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 1:20pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

How many folks survived to the end? And, what order were the films shown in? Crowd reactions? [/quote]

Hmmm, best guess, maybe a dozen? It ended at 2 AM.
Crowd applauded at the end of every film and seemed to appreciate the print quality. There was some snarking and it was difficult to hear it because the crowd was so spread out. There was a group in the center section about 3/4 of the way back that was not happy at all with the snarking and complained to Ian.

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 7:54pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Yeah I left before Tremors too.
We had a great time and to me all the prints looked beautiful.
Buckaroo Banzai may have had some pops but it was also a British print. Different opening graphics and my friend (who's a Banzai fanatic) said a couple of seconds of different dialogue.

My opinion is the Terrorthon did not draw as well because around Halloween the people want horror for special events like this.

The Somerville Theater continues to be renovated looking better and better. The orchestra pit is now covered again and the front row folks at the marathon are going to be amazed at how much room there is now. Seriously, each seat can now have someone sleeping in front of it with their head near the stage and STILL have room for people to cross the row.

Kudos to Frank for once again coming through with some cool prizes. Nice job by the organist with his accompaniment for Dr. Caligari.

Extra bonus for TEX AVERY cartoons on the big screen!

If the theme for SF39 is robots Westworld and Forbidden Planet will fit right in and maybe Buckaroo Banzai for the novelty of a foreign print.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #36 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 11:55pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

I ended up having to leave early after Westworld so I could catch the last train from North Station, which is a pity as I've never seen Tremors on the big screen and, my secret shame revealed, through various circumstances have never gotten to see Buckaroo Banzai at all.

All the film prints looked gorgeous (aside from some odd but not overly distracting color distortions on the opening blue-tinted scenes of Caligari) and as has been stated, the free toys and raffle gifts were great.

I had a bit of fun detecting common themes between the films (mad scientists, invisible beings, actors from Casablanca, etc.) and the cartoons in between were great fun and handy for taking bathroom breaks without missing any of the features.

I do agree that as has been suggested, the emphasis on science fiction rather than horror may have cut down on the attendance a bit given the timing in October, but I was happy to watch all of these titles.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3