WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
October 2013 TERROR-THON Thread (Read 30010 times)
Sep 18th, 2013 at 11:31am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The Horror/Sci-Fi mini-Marathon TERROR-THON official thread is open.

The Films Announced are:  The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (silent), The Invisible Man, Dr. Cyclops, Forbidden Planet, Planet of the Apes (original), Westworld, Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai, and Tremors (all in 35mm film).

ticket info: https://www.vendini.com/ticket-software.html?t=tix&e=047114a9b8bf94391597de60779...

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 12:45pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I love this line-up.  All terrific movies representing each decade from the 20's through the 90's. Films shown in order of year of release so we will be traveling forward in time as the day progresses.  12 noon to 12 midnight is an audience friendly time.  I hope that we can secure Westworld for the sci-fi marathon.  It is long overdue for a premiere showing at this thing of ours. 

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 1:01pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I wish I could make it.

One thing that can't be stressed enough - this will likely be the LAST TIME folks have a chance of seeing an event like this ALL in 35mm. Outside of a handful of places like the Somerville with folks like Ian and David K, theaters have just thrown in the towel and given up on celluloid.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2013 at 5:21pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 5:45pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

If I wasn't going to be in LA selling Monster Girl stuff I'd be there in a hot minute!

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 7:02pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Sep 18th, 2013 at 1:01pm:
One thing that can't be stressed enough - this will likely be the LAST TIME folks have a chance of seeing an event like this ALL in 35mm.

No, it wont!  Ian & I are committed to the film format (as you all well know), & if this does well, we'll do it again!   Cheesy Cheesy
     In addition, we are planning to run an absolute boatload of film prints to celebrate our 100th anniversary next year!  Keep watching the skies!......uh, schedules!
     AND, I may have an interesting announcement to make pretty soon!  Wink Wink

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 9:24pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Amen to that. Luckily, I live in a city where 35mm (and even, 70mm) are shown. But, most folks aren't so lucky. Enjoy the celluloid while you can!

David the Projectionist wrote on Sep 18th, 2013 at 7:02pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Sep 18th, 2013 at 1:01pm:
One thing that can't be stressed enough - this will likely be the LAST TIME folks have a chance of seeing an event like this ALL in 35mm.

No, it wont!  Ian & I are committed to the film format (as you all well know), & if this does well, we'll do it again!   Cheesy Cheesy
     In addition, we are planning to run an absolute boatload of film prints to celebrate our 100th anniversary next year!  Keep watching the skies!......uh, schedules!
     AND, I may have an interesting announcement to make pretty soon!  Wink Wink

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 11:35pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Love this lineup, wish I could make back east for this. I'm very happy it's an all 35mm event.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 3:40pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I just hope that showing stuff like WESTWORLD and TREMORS in particular, doesn't "preclude" them from showing up at the Marathon in February.

The other SF oriented ones have shown up fairly recently at the Marathon, but TREMORS is over-due for a revisit, and WESTWORLD is 0 for 38 so far in Marathon bookings......

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 12:17am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Sep 19th, 2013 at 3:40pm:
I just hope that showing stuff like WESTWORLD and TREMORS in particular, doesn't "preclude" them from showing up at the Marathon in February.

Well, maybe if you mean February 2015.  No need to see the same prints of the same movies in the same theater twice within four months.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 7:55am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Sep 19th, 2013 at 3:40pm:

The other SF oriented ones have shown up fairly recently at the Marathon, but TREMORS is over-due for a revisit, and WESTWORLD is 0 for 38 so far in Marathon bookings......

Absolutely!  These are different events and the audience does not necessarily cross over.  If we can secure them for February I would happily sit through these twice.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 12:38pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Do all other revival theaters in the Boston area hold to this mythical "no repeats rule" in return?

If a movie plays the Marathon, do the Coolidge, Brattle, Somerville etc. 'respect' that showing and say, "The Marathon showed FORBIDDEN PLANET - we can't show it for a full year now!?"

I doubt it. And, they shouldn't! {Even though 400 folks are seeing it at the Marathon as opposed to what, 50? 100? at a Tuesday night double bill in March? 40 at a Midnight screening in November?}
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2013 at 11:06pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 11:34pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Not hard and fast, and there were certainly monthly screenings of Jaws this summer, but generally in different theaters as opposed to the same room.  I'm not saying it's a rule - I'm saying I, personally, would much rather have the chance to see more different movies.  And I think that this case, where the repeats would be part of one or two expensive tickets, would be more frustrating because it's not a question of choosing where to see The Big Lebowski this summer and only paying for one, but paying for both and seeing the total value take a hit.

I just don't see what the benefit is to having a bunch of repeats so close together.  Find other stuff and promote that it hasn't played the area in years.  Play nice with other events and venues; it could help you land something you might not be able to get yourself later.

Maybe the marathon crowd is so much its own thing that it doesn't matter, but I can't help but think that actually paying attention to what else is playing in the area, not promoting something that played for weeks as a premiere, and not repeating what the places who do this all year long show would good for business, the community, and the marathon's reputation.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 11:42am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Our sister 'Thon in Ohio have announced their schedule for their own Terror-Thon: http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1679

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 9:14pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Anyone know the order the films are going to be shown in?

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 10:12pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

They've also added some pre-thon films like, THE EXORCIST, NEAR DARK, GINGER SNAPS, THE CHANGELING, NEAR DARK and Argento's newest, DRACULA the week before.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3