WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Moviegoing Experiences: Good, Bad & in 3D! (Read 41201 times)
Sep 17th, 2012 at 12:12pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Reviving a thread from the former board.

Relate your good, bad and beyond experiences at the movies. Here's a piece I saw today that I think EVERY marathoner can relate to in some way - a movie they love is mocked and ridiculed by other marathoners. 

The piece is about a screening of the Bond film TO RUSSIA WITH LOVE and how some in the packed theater just couldn't take it seriously:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/pressplay/from-russia-with-love-is-not-unsophisticate...

Excerpt:

From Russia With Love was released almost 50 years ago.

I point that out not to make anyone reading this feel old (or young), but because I revisited the second James Bond picture on a big screen recently, in a small but packed Manhattan theater, and it made me painfully aware that for a good many people, movies aren’t art or experience, they’re product. And products date.

Some of the patrons seemed truly, deeply, un-ironically into the film, but many more seemed to be treating it as a nostalgia trip. The very qualities that made the film seem modern and exciting when it came out amused them. The film’s lack of newness prevented connection with the audience.

Scratch that. It wasn’t the film’s fault. It was the audience’s. 

I hate to be the guy who says “You’re watching it wrong,” but these people definitely were.

There might be a lot of factors contributing to the viewers' failure to engage (surely including lack of film literacy), but ultimately, that’s their decision and their loss....

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 5:35pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Playing off THE BIRDS digital print tale.

Perhaps, the WORST crime going on in America's cinemas right now is the documentary SAMSARA. It's not a bad film by any means. Actually, it's a pretty entertaining travelogue in the vein of KOYAANISQATSI or BARAKA.

The crime is that the movie was shot on 65MM film (which are what 70MM films are shot on). But, the filmmakers were apparently sooooooooo spooked by the whole move to digital, that they did not strike even a SINGLE 70MM print - not one!

I saw the film in it's "best" 4K Digital presentation. It was scanned at 8K from the negative. It looked ok. But, it also looked DIGITAL g$#damn it! It flattens and smooths out the film grain.

A damn shame.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 7:02pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Sep 20th, 2012 at 5:35pm:
Perhaps, the WORST crime going on in America's cinemas right now is the documentary SAMSARA. It's not a bad film by any means. Actually, it's a pretty entertaining travelogue in the vein of KOYAANISQATSI or BARAKA.

Which were made by the same guy.

Quote:
The crime is that the movie was shot on 65MM film. But, the filmmakers were apparently sooooooooo spooked by the whole move to digital, that they did not strike even a SINGLE 70MM print - not one!

I'll be talking to them about that, if my installation upgrade ever comes to pass.  I certainly would not be interested in playing it in video.

Quote:
I saw the film in it's "best" 4K Digital presentation.

There are 35mm prints of it out there, but they were made off a DI, sooooooo....

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 4:31pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

In another thread I mentioned that TCM/Fathom Events ran a double feature of Universal's "Frankenstein" and "Bride of Frankenstein" on a big screen simocast. I don't know if the simocast technology would have negated the value of a real 35mm print, thus encouraging them to run a DVD version, but they promoted it as being six times the pixle density of a Blu-Ray TV version. Given that the smallest screen at my local megaplex is well over six times the size of the largest home TV, I was concerned.

It wasn't all that bad, even if it wasn't up to the standards of versions of both films run at the Marathon. There were a couple of parts during both films where the quality jumped to a grainy scene and back again, as if lost footage had been replaced by a 16mm version. We can expect this in the newer, longer version of Metropolis as well.

The best part may have been the audio. Does anyone know if they rescored "Bride" or was there always a strange, soft, feminine, jazzy musical phrase during her animation?

The Turner production could have been worse...

it could have been colorized! Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 6:08pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Like I noted earlier, I refused to go to see FRANKENSTEIN & BRIDE in digital this week.

Here is an article echoing my view of digital:

http://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/we-belong-dead-why-frankenstein-loo...

Excerpt:

It seems I leave every TCM Fathom screening (including last night) with pretty much the same feeling: it’s great to see a classic film in a theater filled with enthusiastic fans, but why do the movies have to look so awful?...And yet, what we all paid $15 to see on the big screen Wednesday night at the AMC 25 didn’t even look as good at what we could have watched at home on our TV sets.

FRANKENSTEIN, in particular, looked horrendously murky. The opening sequence with Dr. Frankenstein (Colin Clive) and Fritz (Dwight Frye) grave-robbing by lamplight was almost impossible to see, as was anything shot in low light, including many key scenes in the castle. BRIDE had generally better image quality, but it was still disappointing. This has been my complaint at every screening I’ve seen in Fathom’s TCM Event Series: great crowd, poor image quality....

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2013 at 5:36pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The Director of the CLASH OF THE TITANS rehash "admits" it was all a big ripoff:

'Clash of the Titans' Director Admits 3D Was Horrible
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/clash-titans-director-admits-3d-was-horrib...

Further, Director Louis Leterrier admits that both CLASH and his HULK films went into shooting without finished scripts:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/28/louis-leterrier-now-you-see-me_n_333331...

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2013 at 1:25pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

A new initiative from theater owners demanding that movie preview trailers be 2 minutes or less. I don't care how long a trailer is, as long as they don't give away "all the good parts" and aren't amped up too loud. And, it's still better than watching commercials:

Theater Owners Seek New Rules Shortening Movie Trailers
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/theater-owners-seek-new-rules-559164

IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 30th, 2013 at 9:13pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 6:08pm:
Like I noted earlier, I refused to go to see FRANKENSTEIN & BRIDE in digital this week.

Here is an article echoing my view of digital:

http://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/we-belong-dead-why-frankenstein-loo...

Excerpt:

It seems I leave every TCM Fathom screening (including last night) with pretty much the same feeling: it’s great to see a classic film in a theater filled with enthusiastic fans, but why do the movies have to look so awful?...And yet, what we all paid $15 to see on the big screen Wednesday night at the AMC 25 didn’t even look as good at what we could have watched at home on our TV sets.

FRANKENSTEIN, in particular, looked horrendously murky. The opening sequence with Dr. Frankenstein (Colin Clive) and Fritz (Dwight Frye) grave-robbing by lamplight was almost impossible to see, as was anything shot in low light, including many key scenes in the castle. BRIDE had generally better image quality, but it was still disappointing. This has been my complaint at every screening I’ve seen in Fathom’s TCM Event Series: great crowd, poor image quality....

Quite frankly, I can only say horse puckey.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 30th, 2013 at 9:49pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

"Casablanca was a TCM Event.  If TCM is unable to get a handle on quality, possibly there should be no more.  If this is the best that TCM cares to do, I'd suggest they shut down their "events. Quickly. Turner Classics may have once been an organization that had some interest in film and film history, but they seem to haveturned away, and may now be after the quick buck.  This makes everyone involved look bad. And let the public see films properly."  - Robert Harris (noted film restoration expert)

"Much of it looked great, but a lot of scenes looked washed-out and contrasty. Very white objects, like dinner jackets and Ingrid Bergman’s complexion, had a distracting shimmer to them, with tiny white spots swimming about at random." - Bayflicks.net

But, hey, it's your money if you want to spend $12 to watch a TCM broadcast made for a 40" TV screen blown up well beyond it's technical limits.......

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 30th, 2013 at 10:25pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on May 30th, 2013 at 9:49pm:
"Casablanca was a TCM Event.  If TCM is unable to get a handle on quality, possibly there should be no more.  If this is the best that TCM cares to do, I'd suggest they shut down their "events. Quickly. Turner Classics may have once been an organization that had some interest in film and film history, but they seem to haveturned away, and may now be after the quick buck.  This makes everyone involved look bad. And let the public see films properly."  - Robert Harris (noted film restoration expert)

"Much of it looked great, but a lot of scenes looked washed-out and contrasty. Very white objects, like dinner jackets and Ingrid Bergman’s complexion, had a distracting shimmer to them, with tiny white spots swimming about at random." - Bayflicks.net

But, hey, it's your money if you want to spend $12 to watch a TCM broadcast made for a 40" TV screen blown up well beyond it's technical limits.......

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

It looked great on the big screen and the audience loved it but you will never know.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 30th, 2013 at 11:27pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Oh, I've seen BRIDE on the big screen many times and I do know how enjoyable it is.

And, I know how good it can look in 35MM - as it did at the Marathon.

Even a proper 4K digital transfer can't hold a candle to 35mm film - let alone a crappy TV broadcast blown up.........

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 1:46am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

So, I go to a small arthouse film. Afternoon. During the week. Theater is a bit better attended than I expect. Usually, a good thing. I walk in and there's a group of seniors talking away loudly in some vaguely Middle Eastern language. They act like they own the place - like it's THEIR living room. Ads and commercials are running, so no big deal. The trailers begin. Half the group splits up and moves further back. Two of the blue hairs remain in the row behind me. They keep yapping - loudly, like they are trying to talk OVER the trailers.
As the trailers end, they clam up. Until the first plot point hits. Yap-yap-yap-what just happened? Why? The first SH'S! Are shot that way. Doesn't matter a wit. Every plot point - more Yap! Yap! Yap!
Just then, a couple shows up. The movie has started, and it's dark. Another elderly couple. The man has a cane. He sees some empty seats in the row behind me. Do they walk around front and enter from the other side? Of course not. They stumble over everybody in my row and THEN walk into the next row. Of course, right behind ME. And, of course, the first thing the man does is put down his cane - SMACK into the back of my chair! Then, they think the seats are too close. They move back another row.
As that is going on, you guessed it...some old guy's Cell Phone goes off! Loudly. He runs out of his seat and heads...for the exit? No! He runs towards the movie screen figuring most people are seated towards the back - talking all the way. Finally, he realizes that this won't be a short call and stumbles out the exit.
Meanwhile, me and others keep shushing the Middle Eastern blue hairs. They do lower their voices, but, they learn a new "tactic" - only talk when something fairly loud is going on in the movie!
The Cell Phone guy returns. He sits down....and, yup, seconds later the phone rings again!
Fast-Forward to the last 40 minutes of the movie. A literal Bag Lady rolls in with her cart. She remains fairly quiet for awile, save for, you know, her BAGS! The bags are plastic and, contain food, of course. So, she has to scrunch and handle and play with her bags as she takes every bite. Then, during the last 15 minutes of the movie, the Bag Lady decides that NOW is a good time to start SORTING RECYCLABLES! Yup, let me put my dirty cans in one bag, my bottles in another. Oh, and I have cardboard?! Let me RIP THEM INTO SMALLER PIECES so they fit in my cart!
Mercifully, the movie finally ends. I have a splitting headache from all the distractions. Several of us are giving stink eyes to the Blue Haired Middle-Eastern couple. The guy with the Cane walks over towards them glaring. I swear -- for one split second -- that he was going to bonk them over the head with it!

So, while we all usually complain about "kids" and "teens" with their talking and texting, I find that it's really Senior Citizens that can be the most annoying. Plus, you kind of expect a louder noise level at action, comic book and roudy comedies that younger filmgoers attend. But, some of these older folks act like it's a private screening!

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 9:40pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on May 30th, 2013 at 11:27pm:
Oh, I've seen BRIDE on the big screen many times and I do know how enjoyable it is.

And, I know how good it can look in 35MM - as it did at the Marathon.

Even a proper 4K digital transfer can't hold a candle to 35mm film - let alone a crappy TV broadcast blown up.........

Have you seen the latest revival trend?
Poster was up for Wizard of Oz in IMAX 3D.

I'll give whomever is behind it points IF they start the film in the normal format and add the IMAX 3d when they get to Oz.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 2:33am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

And, don't forget that WIZARD is in the old 4:3 aspect ratio (like old TV sets). So, in Imax it would be a very boxy look.

How much you wanna bet they stretch it into a faux widescreen look in order for it to "fill the screen"?

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 11:02am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Actually, aren't most IMAX screens 1.43:1?  There might be some narrow space on the sides, but I imagine Wizard would actually be using more of the screen than most DMR jobs.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4