WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Other events of interest to Marathoids (Read 35270 times)
Reply #15 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 7:20am

kirok   Offline
God Member

10 or 15 bucks per movie Shocked is there a festival pass? they have terminator 1 and 2 but not 3. i am sick of the anti terminator 3 bias. it's a good movie.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 11:32am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Apr 6th, 2012 at 7:20am:
10 or 15 bucks per movie Shocked is there a festival pass?...

All those 70mm prints are very expensive to procure, especially outside of Los Angeles. Even with Paul Allen involved, it's not cheap to put on an event with such primo prints. Still, charging $30 for METROPOLIS (granted with the Alloy Orchestra), $15 for WAR OF THE WORLDS, and $20 for 2001 is a bit rich. Makes our Marathon prices seem more reasonable, eh?

But, there is, to me, quite the lame Marathon coming up:

A 6 movie Marvel's The Avengers 'thon.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/marvels-the-avengers-marathon-event-sells-out-am...

Sure, there are a couple of decent titles in the mix. But, I would find this numbing to sit through. Of course, it's selling out all across the country at $40 a pop. And, ugh, would this one be an assault on your ears....
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2012 at 12:54am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 9:23am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Opening in Boston this Friday April 13 is a movie I've been looking forward to "Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope" A celebration of both the con but also the fandom culture that's made it grow and grow. http://comicconmovie.com/
It's opening at the Coolidge Corner and on Sunday the director will be there for the 3:00 show.
Reviews have been very good and the director is the guy who did Super-size Me and The Greatest Movie Ever Sold and it was produced by Stan Lee and Josh Whedon.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 10:06am

kirok   Offline
God Member

da_Bunnyman wrote on Apr 10th, 2012 at 9:23am:
Opening in Boston this Friday April 13 is a movie I've been looking forward to "Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope" A celebration of both the con but also the fandom culture that's made it grow and grow. http://comicconmovie.com/
It's opening at the Coolidge Corner and on Sunday the director will be there for the 3:00 show.
Reviews have been very good and the director is the guy who did Super-size Me and The Greatest Movie Ever Sold and it was produced by Stan Lee and Josh Whedon.

f the coolidge.
i might go.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 12:00pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

DETENTION is also opening, at AMC Boston Common (and other ANCe in large markets).  It's a genuinely funny and fast-paced teen comedy/horror/sci-fi mashup that only makes me feel a little old because the old, lame pop-culture references are to the year I graduated high school.

Well worth a look, with the sci-fi elements surprisingly tight given the sort of comedy it is.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 7:31pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Fathom Events /Turner Classic Movies is running Universal's "Frankenstein" and "The Bride of Frankenstein" double feature on the big screen tomorrow.

http://www.fathomevents.com/classics/event/tcmfrankensteins.aspx?d=10/24/2012

Grab your favorite beverage, sit back, and enjoy these Horror/sci-fi classics in the way they were meant to be seen. Anyone going to Randolph: We'll see you there.

Massachusetts: 15 Locations
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bellingham 14

Fenway 13

AMC Burlington 10

Legacy Place

Patriot Place

AMC Framingham 15

Hampshire Mall 12

Lowell Showcase Cinemas

Solomon Pond Mall 15

Blackstone Valley

Randolph Showcase Cinemas

Revere Showcase Cinemas

Cinemagic Sturbridge

Swansea

West Springfield 12

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:13pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Coolidge Corner 11:59 PM on October 27. 12 hour mini  horror marathon.  First two films are Exorcist and Carpenter's The Thing  The other five films are surprises.  $15 bucks for the double feature, $20 bucks gets you the whole thing.  http://www.coolidge.org/content/12th-annual-halloween-horror-movie-marathon

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:18pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I will be attending both events.  I have seen Frankenstein a buch o' times on the big screen over the past few years but I cannot pass up the chance.  Harvard showed it, Cooldige showed, Thon showed it.....  Bride is my favorite of the Frankys.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 12:01am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I appreciate the post.

Unfortunately, both are showing on Digital. So, thumbs down for me even though BRIDE is one of my Top 10 Films of All Time. And, it's playing ten minutes from my house.

We at the Marathon know that there are recently struck 35mm prints. Heck, FRANKENSTEIN's beautiful print was show at February's Marathon!

The shame. Shame on Universal Cry....

R_F_Fineman wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 7:31pm:
Fathom Events /Turner Classic Movies is running Universal's "Frankenstein" and "The Bride of Frankenstein" double feature on the big screen tomorrow.

http://www.fathomevents.com/classics/event/tcmfrankensteins.aspx?d=10/24/2012

[img]
Grab your favorite beverage, sit back, and enjoy these Horror/sci-fi classics in the way they were meant to be seen. Anyone going to Randolph: We'll see you there.

Massachusetts: 15 Locations
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bellingham 14

Fenway 13

AMC Burlington 10

Legacy Place

Patriot Place

AMC Framingham 15

Hampshire Mall 12

Lowell Showcase Cinemas

Solomon Pond Mall 15

Blackstone Valley

Randolph Showcase Cinemas

Revere Showcase Cinemas

Cinemagic Sturbridge

Swansea

West Springfield 12

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 12:13am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Can we stop the moaning and groaning about digital.  We get it.  You hate it.  You don't watch it.  No need to mention it at every turn.  Let it go already.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 1:54am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:18pm:
I will be attending both events.  I have seen Frankenstein a buch o' times on the big screen over the past few years but I cannot pass up the chance.  Harvard showed it, Cooldige showed, Thon showed it.....  Bride is my favorite of the Frankys. 

Would like to know what the surprise movies are, won't make it as I'ld have to fly in from Seattle.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:42am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Lile wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 1:54am:
Frank wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:18pm:

Would like to know what the surprise movies are, won't make it as I'ld have to fly in from Seattle.

I will post next week.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 10:26am

Jon   Offline
MA

You know, it seems like everytime I turn around (which is fairly frequent) there's yet another "Marathon" being touted.  It's nice that our Original BSFFM has engendered such virulent copy-cat-ism (proving its viability as a conceptual marketing ploy), but it's becoming so tired and cliche that it almost makes me wish we could change our own event designation -- Annual Boston 24-hour Sc-Fi Movie Lockdown, or Boston's Only Annual 24-hour SF Film Confinement, or Annual BSF Movie Sweathouse -- anything to re-create our uniqueness as the original from which all other clones are, well, cloned.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 11:20am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I was unaware that there were so many other thons.  Are these local? I love a good marathon (all genres) so please do  tell.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 12:21pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

First, of all. Current digital projection even at it's very best is inferior to a good 35mm print. Period. Black and White films are particularly affected because it is imperative to have rich deep blacks and sharp shadow fog detail - all things that digital has issues with. Blacks look grey and shadows look like a haze or fog.

Second, Universal has spent a considerable amount of money and effort to restore and maintain their classics in 35mm over the past several years. It's galling that they would just toss all that work into a closet in order to save a few bucks on shipping.

Third, I would love to see these films on the big screen. But, sometimes, it is more important to stand on principle.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3