WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Moviegoing Experiences: Good, Bad & in 3D! (Read 41192 times)
Reply #15 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 11:47am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Not sure about the Lie-Max screens people complain about, but the one I go to with 70mm capability definitely is wider than that.

Jay Seaver wrote on Jul 30th, 2013 at 11:02am:
Actually, aren't most IMAX screens 1.43:1?  There might be some narrow space on the sides, but I imagine Wizard would actually be using more of the screen than most DMR jobs.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 3:00pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

The ones in the Boston area are certainly 1.43:1 (the standard, for the most part) - well, the Aquarium and Jordan's Furniture are, and that's the general size of the picture projected at the Science Museum.  The one at Boston Common might be a bit wider, if only because I remember Star Trek Into Darkness opening up a bit more at the Aquarium than it did there, but I think it's still unusually square for something built recently.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 4:41pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The article below explains some of the tech aspects of Imax ratios. Sadly, so few films are still shot on 70mm Imax film that it is fast becoming a moot issue anyway.

So, while it may be correct to say that the "traditional" Imax ratio isn't that far off from the old Academy ratio that WIZARD OF OZ was shot in - WHO THE #$#$ KNOWS what they will do to blow-up, stretch, pull or what have you to make a 75 year old film be in "Imax". Not, to mention doing a VERY post-conversion 3D abomination to it!

http://www.flixist.com/imax-35mm-the-dark-knight-rises-and-you-212249.phtml

Jay Seaver wrote on Jul 30th, 2013 at 3:00pm:
The ones in the Boston area are certainly 1.43:1 (the standard, for the most part) - well, the Aquarium and Jordan's Furniture are, and that's the general size of the picture projected at the Science Museum.  The one at Boston Common might be a bit wider, if only because I remember Star Trek Into Darkness opening up a bit more at the Aquarium than it did there, but I think it's still unusually square for something built recently.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 11:32am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I don't trust Warner Brothers quite as much as I did when Ted Turner was still actively involved (he actually had New Line distribute Gone With the Wind with black space pillars on the sides of the film frame so that theaters couldn't crop it), but if any studio can be trusted to treat their catalog well, it's them.  This isn't Paramount we're talking about here.

I am reasonably confident that it will have a slight windowbox, and wouldn't be at all shocked if there were 2D showings much like Man of Steel had.  And, honestly, both theaters and studios are backing off 3D-or-nothing bookings; there are times when I've had trouble finding a 3D show at a good time at certain locations, especially after the first week.

As to the 3D post-conversion itself...  Well, this project has been in the works for a long time, and while post-conversion got a bad reputation with hastily-done rush jobs, good things can happen when some time is taken (and the technology has gotten much better since Clash of the Titans.

Look at it this way:  It'll play in theaters for a week.  In most cases, there will be 2D showings.  And as a result of everything needed to make this project work, there's likely a nicely restored 4K or even 8K transfer on Warners' servers that will serve as the basis for a great Blu-ray and some new 35mm prints.  I'm reasonably sure that this is going to be a positive.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 2:20pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

That's the hopeful spin on WIZARD. We shall see.

Now, Jay Seaver, you see more movies than anyone here - you MUST have some good "Moviegoing Experiences"!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 11:57am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

About a year ago, there was an announcement of special screenings where texting would be encouraged. I haven't anything about it since.

NOW, some rich Sillicon Valley venture capitlist wants to take it one step further. Wi-Fi in the theater. Power outlets in the aisles. Oh, and turn UP the lights so he can see what he's texting etc. He even says that hey, something like PACIFIC RIM? Who needs to follow the plot!?

A-Hole!

http://badassdigest.com/2013/08/05/venture-capitalist-ding-dong-wants-well-lit-w...

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 1:07pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I think I heard that Regal's Sharknado screenings last Friday were meant to be Twitter-friendly.

Not going to lie, I will take a power outlet anywhere I can find one.  This phone whose charge doesn't last an entire day is a bummer.

Anyway, if he thinks this is a viable business model, and there are people who want this service, go for it.  If "smartphone-friendly" is the only thing his theater has to offer, he's basically succeeded in alienating his best potential customers, and I think few enough people are actively interested in it to make it work.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 9:15pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Aug 8th, 2013 at 11:57am:
About a year ago, there was an announcement of special screenings where texting would be encouraged. I haven't anything about it since.

NOW, some rich Sillicon Valley venture capitlist wants to take it one step further. Wi-Fi in the theater. Power outlets in the aisles. Oh, and turn UP the lights so he can see what he's texting etc. He even says that hey, something like PACIFIC RIM? Who needs to follow the plot!?

A-Hole!

I'm sure somewhere along the line someone will point out to this guy that having all that available means whats on screen ain't worth watching. And if that's so, WHY THE HELL GO TO THE MOVIES!

My worst experience at the movies was World War Z which not only had a group passing a lit screen device among their group but also a loud snorer.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 10:18pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Maybe THIS is what we need.
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in Texas is famous for their "one warning and we mean it" policy about noisy patrons.
Check out these two PSA's they ran in their theaters.

This one's interesting because it actually shows what the theater looks like inside.

And this is the uncensored version of their most famous one, warning about some swears (and gibberish) during it.

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 11:35am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Those Alamo spots are pretty funny.

Only thing is, I find full scale food in a theater as annoying as talking and texting. Kind of surprising they have a no tolerence mobile device policy, but, have no problem with some guy ordering booze and food 5-10 times during a show, pigging out, burping, belching and worse........... Undecided Undecided Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 12:58pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

It's not so bad; you write down your orders on a card that the wait staff can spot and retrieve without disturbing the rest of the audience, and the times I went (at SXSW about 5 years ago), I often didn't even notice the bill being returned until credits rolled.  The food's generally quieter than popcorn or candy with crinkly wrappers - and a much better value for money, both in terms of being on a part with pretty good take-out and not horribly expensive.

It was a little jarring the first time, but it pretty quickly becomes like the bright orange EXIT signs, a predictable part of the background that your brain filters out.  I was actually rather hoping that Alamo would purchase the Harvard Square Theater (well, they were my second choice behind FEI) and renovate it like they have noteworthy theaters in other cities, but apparently it wasn't on their radar or the price was too high.  Given my schedule, a combined dinner/movie place would be fantastic.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 3:56pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I've been "lucky" in that at screenings at such places that I have attended, most folks passed on full meals (save for the guy with the whole pizza, Bucket of popcorn, 75oz soda AND Dessert).

But, last week at a Sundance Theater (yup, Redford has a small chain), they used light up Pagers for ordered drinks. And, this "Pager" was the size of a small tablet and the lights were like Xmas lights which ringed the entire outside of the pager! That was more annoying than most people checking their phone for messages.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 7:53pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

A couple of people pointed out one of the reason Alamo runs ads like these is so people don't think a place you can get drinks during the show is loud and raucous.

I also saw an article that alamo was opening a place in NYC, that should be interesting.

Y'know I think the main thing wrong with modern movie houses is that no one checks on the houses after the film starts. If someone just came in during the show, even just a quick check they'd see people using phones. cameras and hear them talking. 

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 9:58pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Which is actually one of the benefits of having an Alamo-style cinema - there are always servers scanning the crowd for order cards (which can serve double duty as "idiot nearby" alerts).

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 7:30pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Here's something I hadn't even thought about with the end of studios making actual prints of movies.
What happens to the drive-ins?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4