WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Moviegoing Experiences: Good, Bad & in 3D! (Read 41202 times)
Reply #45 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 4:55pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

As I've said in the past, I put a lot of the blame on the theaters themselves. No one ever looks in on the house to check on anything. So temperatures can get extreme, sound can vanish or be too loud or morons like that guy can text, talk, hell even film without any worries.
There does not have to be someone always in a house but just having someone look in every once in awhile would help.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #46 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 6:24pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I agree with that about movie theaters, but, my point is now that people seem to feel they are entitled now to using their tech no matter where they are. THEY are the ones offended by even being asked to stop what they are doing.

A couple of years ago when BRIDESMAIDS came out, an attractive young lady decided she wanted to text ALL her friends about how funny the movie was. When I politely asked her to cease and desist she gave me this indignant loud sigh like I just spat in her face or something.

da_Bunnyman wrote on Nov 3rd, 2014 at 4:55pm:
As I've said in the past, I put a lot of the blame on the theaters themselves. No one ever looks in on the house to check on anything. So temperatures can get extreme, sound can vanish or be too loud or morons like that guy can text, talk, hell even film without any worries.
There does not have to be someone always in a house but just having someone look in every once in awhile would help.

IP Logged

Reply #47 - Nov 4th, 2014 at 2:08am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 3rd, 2014 at 6:24pm:
I agree with that about movie theaters, but, my point is now that people seem to feel they are entitled now to using their tech no matter where they are. THEY are the ones offended by even being asked to stop what they are doing.

A couple of years ago when BRIDESMAIDS came out, an attractive young lady decided she wanted to text ALL her friends about how funny the movie was. When I politely asked her to cease and desist she gave me this indignant loud sigh like I just spat in her face or something.

Go right to the manager and either A) Demand a full refund [dont accept a pass], or B) Demand that the assclown be kicked the hell out.
     If you dont do one of those, you have no one to blame but yourself.
     I give people like youre describing one warning: "I work here, and if I have to get up from this seat, I guarantee youll be out on the street two minutes later."  That usually works.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #48 - Nov 4th, 2014 at 9:08pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I get it, I get it -- get the theater involved. But, that wasn't my point.

My point is that I shouldn't HAVE to go a theater employee at all. Two main reasons:

1. If I'm enjoying a movie why should I have to get up, try and find an employee who will listen, care AND do something about it? That could take 5+ minutes. THEN, we have to walk in the theater and said employee may or may NOT do anything about it save for a warning. 10 minutes gone.

2. And, most importantly, I shouldn't have to remind the cell phone abusers in the first place! They know the rules, they see the pre-show warnings not to text. And, when they are asked to stop, they should desist immediately and without anger.

David the Projectionist wrote on Nov 4th, 2014 at 2:08am:

Go right to the manager and either A) Demand a full refund [dont accept a pass], or B) Demand that the assclown be kicked the hell out.
     I give people like youre describing one warning: "I work here, and if I have to get up from this seat, I guarantee youll be out on the street two minutes later."  That usually works.

IP Logged

Reply #49 - Nov 5th, 2014 at 9:48pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 4th, 2014 at 9:08pm:
I get it, I get it -- get the theater involved. But, that wasn't my point.

My point is that I shouldn't HAVE to go a theater employee at all. Two main reasons:

1. If I'm enjoying a movie why should I have to get up, try and find an employee who will listen, care AND do something about it? That could take 5+ minutes. THEN, we have to walk in the theater and said employee may or may NOT do anything about it save for a warning. 10 minutes gone.

2. And, most importantly, I shouldn't have to remind the cell phone abusers in the first place! They know the rules, they see the pre-show warnings not to text. And, when they are asked to stop, they should desist immediately and without anger.

David the Projectionist wrote on Nov 4th, 2014 at 2:08am:

My own opinion is don't confront the people at all. Most of them know they're doing something they shouldn't, they just don't care and may decide to do more than just tell you to f**k off. (Remember though I worked for awhile at the downtown Saxon & Pi Alley theatres in Boston.) Plus if you do get the theater staff to do something they know exactly who to blame for their trouble. Go out get someone from the cinema and let them come in by themselves.
As to why they do it, who knows, its always been some kind of problem people in cinemas. Smoking, talking, yelling at the screen, its just some people don't care about anyone but themselves and the rest of us don't exist to them.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #50 - Nov 6th, 2014 at 1:02am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Well, I ain't giving up 5 to 10 minutes of a movie I like just because some A-hole can't unplug for a movie.

Maybe theaters could install a Call Button like ones in an airplane. This way I don't have to miss maybe a crucial part of a movie because of some rude bastard.

Angry
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2014 at 10:13pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4