WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Moviegoing Experiences: Good, Bad & in 3D! (Read 41199 times)
Reply #30 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 11:54am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Bottom line is the bottom line - the studios could give a ##@#! They don't care. As long as they save $$$ in the long run with film, print and shipping costs, they consider Drive-In, arthouses and small indie theaters "collateral damage".

The don't care.

da_Bunnyman wrote on Aug 11th, 2013 at 7:30pm:
Here's something I hadn't even thought about with the end of studios making actual prints of movies.
What happens to the drive-ins?

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 12:50pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

My first real job was as a projectionist in a Drive-In. If there was a better job for a Kansas teenager, I can't think of it. Smiley

Here's a modest proposal to help save the Classic American Drive-In: ACTUALLY GO TO THEM!

Check out this list with links to sixteen open, operating drive-ins within a 150 mile radius of Boston:

http://www.drive-ins.com/dbdisrch.htm?status_op=open&zipcode=02116&distance=150&...

Gone are the days of the Roger Corman triple B-movie feature, but they generally offer two recent summer big-budget films. Next weekend, Mendon will be offering "Elysium" along with "Two Guns" for example.
http://www.mendondrivein.com/coming-soon

I've been to these three:
Mendon Twin Drive-In Mendon, Massachusetts
Weirs Drive-In Weirs Beach, New Hampshire
Rustic Tri-View Drive-In North Smithfield, Rhode Island 

All have great old-school charm, multiple screens, and concession stands that smell like fryolators.

No, you won't get blasting AC or super-sense-surround Dolby Digital mega-woofer-crunch audio beyond what your car sound system can provide. On the other hand, Is the guy in the car next to you talking or texting, making weird grunting sounds or fidgeting in his seat? Heck he can be total jerk and slit the seats and you don't care! Cheesy

I say go for it. Bring your wife or best girl. Bring along bug spray and hide your 3.2 beer and high-school buddies in the trunk. Have a retro-good-time. Cheesy

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #32 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 1:57pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I agree, that folks should support Drive-Ins, Arthouses and ancient single-screen theaters in little towns. Problem is, if they can't raise the tens of thousands of dollars it takes to convert to digital - they still will close.

I talked to a single-screen theater owner just recently who told me that even IF he could raise the money, it may not be worth it. The investment is so steep that it would takes years if not decades to get that money back.

Digital sucks. Reason number 294
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2014 at 1:37am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 2:35pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Me:
Gone are the days of the Roger Corman triple B-movie feature...

I have to correct myself. This is not an old advert from days gone by...

Quote:
LA:
... folks should support Drive-Ins, Arthouses and ancient single-screen theaters in little towns. Problem is, if they can't raise the tens of thousands of dollars it takes to convert to digital - they still will close.

The front money needed to make the digital conversion was a problem created by the studios. I think it's great that Honda is helping out, but shouldn't the studios who created the mess at least provide low-interest loans to the small and historic theater operators? After all, $80-K will bust a small theater operator but it's chump change to a major studio.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 4:28pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Aug 12th, 2013 at 2:35pm:
[quote]
The front money needed to make the digital conversion was a problem created by the studios. I think it's great that Honda is helping out, but shouldn't the studios who created the mess at least provide low-interest loans to the small and historic theater operators? After all, $80-K will bust a small theater operator but it's chump change to a major studio.

Cool programs!

But, as to your last comments, I will repeat what I wrote before -
The Studios Don't Care.
Small independent theaters and drive-ins are just collateral damage to them.

Sad.

But, true.
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2013 at 8:20pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #35 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 7:19pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Jay Seaver wrote on Jul 31st, 2013 at 11:32am:
I am reasonably confident that it will have a slight windowbox, and wouldn't be at all shocked if there were 2D showings much like Man of Steel had.  And, honestly, both theaters and studios are backing off 3D-or-nothing bookings; there are times when I've had trouble finding a 3D show at a good time at certain locations, especially after the first week.

As to the 3D post-conversion itself...  Well, this project has been in the works for a long time, and while post-conversion got a bad reputation with hastily-done rush jobs, good things can happen when some time is taken (and the technology has gotten much better since Clash of the Titans.

So, I was wrong about there being 2D screenings; every showtime at Boston Common and Jordan's is 3D.  I was, however, pleased to see that it was projected at Academy Ratio or something pretty close, even though the Imax-branded screen at Boston Common is one of the 2:1-ish ratio installations.  The furniture stores, therefore, are recommended.

The worries about the movie being brutalized in the conversion are unfounded; the image is clean and clear but retains grain, unlike some digital restorations/conversions which smooth that out or sharpen the picture unnaturally.  And the 3D conversion is excellent as things go, unobtrusive but not lackluster.  The work done on the backdrops is especially good; it really expands the world back without changing the character of the paintings.  Heck, Warner Brothers doesn't even put their logo at the front or end of the movie.  Kind of surprised it was 3D all the way through rather than adding that with the color, but that's better than taking people out of the movie to put their glasses on.

So not quite the best-case scenario, but pretty darn close.  It was a neat way to see the movie; my nieces are going to have a ball when they see it tomorrow.  The Blu-ray coming in a week and a half is going to look great.  The 3D version will probably be little more than a novelty a week from now, and if doing it put more resources into the restoration and got the anniversary video release a little more attention, it's done its job.

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 7:52pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I've heard mostly good things about the WIZARD conversion, but, I ain't paying the $21 the local plex is charging for it. (so much for the theory espoused by several theater owners that there was a psychological barrier to charging $20 for a movie ticket)

It really is too bad that the studio's greed is such that they won't have at least a few 2D showings.

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 8:39pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I think it tops out at $18 here; I wound up paying $7 between hitting the 11am show and having a $12-for-$6 Fandango Groupon in my pocket for just such an occasion (otherwise, I would have carved out the time to make it to Reading where tickets top out at $12.75).

I was kind of surprised that there aren't any 2D screenings, if only because local theaters have really cut down on 3D shows this year, especially for family movies.  I suspect it's meant to give folks a reason to come out in advance of the video release on 1 October, but at least there will be decent 4K DCPs for screens that want them going forward.

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 11:12am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

If digital "projection" was not already a horrible abomination, now it looks like it's destined to be a three-headed horrible abomination! Shocked

Quote:
270-Degree Movie Screen: Coming Soon to a Theater Near You?

...A South Korean cinema chain has developed movie viewing that literally surrounds you with the film by incorporating not one but three separate "screens." ScreenX, developed by CJ CGV Co. Ltd., makes use of side walls as additional projection points to create a 270-degree view of the film. Think the "King Kong 3-D" ride at Universal Studios but without anything going on behind you (and sans the rocking tour bus, too, of course)...According to Paul Kim, senior producer for ScreenX, the wider scenes were shot using three cameras simultaneously filming different angles — which presents unique challenges, such as where to hide the crew and equipment.

"In a [traditional] shoot, you have one façade. Now we need an entire set for a scene. What was usually one wall now becomes 270 degrees," said Kim to Korea Real Time (via the Wall Street Journal). "It was a lot of trial-and-error."

Mostly error, apparently, as Jee-woon himself called the experience of filming "The X" to be "like hell and a nightmare," according to The Verge — a description that might not exactly inspire other filmmakers to try out the new toy.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/270-degree-movie-screen-coming-soon-the...

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 10:36pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

R_F_Fineman wrote on Oct 22nd, 2013 at 11:12am:
If digital "projection" was not already a horrible abomination, now it looks like it's destined to be a three-headed horrible abomination! Shocked

Quote:
270-Degree Movie Screen: Coming Soon to a Theater Near You?

...A South Korean cinema chain has developed movie viewing that literally surrounds you with the film by incorporating not one but three separate "screens." ScreenX, developed by CJ CGV Co. Ltd., makes use of side walls as additional projection points to create a 270-degree view of the film. Think the "King Kong 3-D" ride at Universal Studios but without anything going on behind you (and sans the rocking tour bus, too, of course)...According to Paul Kim, senior producer for ScreenX, the wider scenes were shot using three cameras simultaneously filming different angles — which presents unique challenges, such as where to hide the crew and equipment.

"In a [traditional] shoot, you have one façade. Now we need an entire set for a scene. What was usually one wall now becomes 270 degrees," said Kim to Korea Real Time (via the Wall Street Journal). "It was a lot of trial-and-error."

Mostly error, apparently, as Jee-woon himself called the experience of filming "The X" to be "like hell and a nightmare," according to The Verge — a description that might not exactly inspire other filmmakers to try out the new toy.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/270-degree-movie-screen-coming-soon-the...

Filmed with 3 cameras? Extra wide screens?
Good Lord, they've invented CINERAMA, again.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #40 - May 15th, 2014 at 10:11pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Would you pay more for primo seats at a movie? A theater chain is thinking of doing just that. Ready for you upcharge, sir?

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/05/14/cineplex_to_test_surcharge_for_best_m...

IP Logged

Reply #41 - May 16th, 2014 at 9:32am

Jon   Offline
MA

Emil Gantz would be proud (ref: "Napoleon," 1928)

IP Logged

Reply #42 - May 16th, 2014 at 10:02pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jon wrote on May 16th, 2014 at 9:32am:

I'm pretty sure you mean 'ABEL GANCE".

But, even so, what exactly is this referencing??

Huh Huh Huh Huh

IP Logged

Reply #43 - May 16th, 2014 at 10:26pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on May 16th, 2014 at 10:02pm:
Jon wrote on May 16th, 2014 at 9:32am:

I'm pretty sure you mean 'ABEL GANCE".

But, even so, what exactly is this referencing??

Huh Huh Huh Huh

I'd guess it was a reference  to the South Korean triple screen projection system mentioned a couple of lines up.
Gance's Napoleon had a system called Polyvision where certain parts would have 3 projectors and 3 screens.   

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #44 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 1:40am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Has it come to this?

I'm at a quiet Foreign Language movie. The guy next to me gets bored and whips out his cell phone and starts cruising the internets. A few minutes later he starts texting. I always give folks ONE cell phone text - there may be an emergency, kids to check up on etc. Fine. One.

A few minutes later, he starts texting back and forth again. I tell him to please not text any more. Without pause he shoves his middle finger right in my face and yells, "F#ck You, A$$hole! I'll do what I want, when I want!"

So, we've gone from talking and using your cellphone in a movie theater is wrong, to I'm an A-hole if I ask the offender to stop?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4