WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Sci-Fi Quiz (Read 107530 times)
Reply #15 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 12:08pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

A recent post calls to my attention that there was some confusion in identifying the supporting actress in "Brainstorm". So this bi-weekly quiz:

KNOW YOUR LOUISES!

Mostly stills from the roles that made them famous. I'll post a list of the names to match in a couple of days in the event that someone really knows their Louises! Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 4:23pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Louise
1. Louise Lasser
2. Louise Jameson
3. Louise Fletcher
4. Louise Brooks
5. Louise Marleau
6. Louise Sorel
7. Louise Robey
8. Mary Louise Parker
9. Tina Louise

Sci-Fi roles
a. None, but considered by many to be the greatest american actress of the silent era.

b. "Star Trek: Requiem for Methusula" "Airplane II: The Sequel"

c. "Brainwaves" "Virtuosity" "Star Trek DS-9"

d. "Frankenhooker", "Everything you Always Wanted to Know about Sex..."

e. "R.E.D." "R.I.P.D.: Zombie Police" (in production)

f. "The Stepford Wives"

g. "Friday the 13th: The Series"

h. "Doctor Who (77)" "Omega Factor" "Space 1999"

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 5:26pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Louise

1. Louise Lasser -F -"Frankenhooker", "Everything you Always Wanted to Know about Sex"

2. Louise Jameson -G- "Doctor Who (77)" "Omega Factor", "Space 1999"

3. Louise Fletcher -C- "Brainwaves", "Virtuosity", "Star Trek DS-9"

4. Louise Brooks -H- None, but considered by many to be the greatest american actress of the silent era

5. Louise Marleau (not pictured) "Contamination"

6. Louise Sorel -B- "Star Trek: Requiem for Methusula", "Airplane II: The Sequel"

7. Louise Robey -A-"Friday the 13th: The Series"

8. Mary Louise Parker -E- "R.E.D." ,"R.I.P.D.: Zombie Police" (in production)

9. Tina Louise -D- "The Stepford Wives"

This one, while better looking than the octopii, was kind of a niche subject. Next week I promise to make the questions General Knowlege.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 1:55pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

General Knowlege

Can you match the Military Commander's picture, quote and film without inflicting too much collateral damage?

"Their life expectancy is a hundred and thirty."
"How Does He Explain That?"
"When an armed and threatening power lands uninvited in our capitol, we don't meet him with tea and cookies!"
Governor Lewis: "Well, you damn well better make it a good one, Sergeant!"
Brigadier Gen. Woodman: "That's general!"
Governor Lewis: "Not if you screw this up."
"Say, doctor, you were right about this new breed of women!"
"We should nuke these a$$#01es with everything we got, sir."
"For a time we tried to contact them by radio but no response. Then they attacked a town, a small town I'll admit, but never the less a town of people, people who died."
"What if he can read our minds?" "He'll be real mad when he gets to mine!"
"Kneel!"
"It Didn't Stop Them. Guns,Tanks,Bombs, They're like toys against them!"
"You're a scientist, you know what grasshoppers can do. I'm a soldier, I know what guns can do."
"Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks."

a. THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD
b. PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE
c. IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA
d. SUPERMAN II
e. WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953)
f. MARS ATTACKS
g. DR. STRANGELOVE
h. BEGINNING OF THE END
i. EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS
j. EVOLUTION
k.THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 6:29pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

GENERAL KNOWLEGE ANSWERS:

How did everyone do? The majority of these films have done two tours of marathon duty or more. Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 1:24pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Okay, just one more:

"Original Art" or "Bad Boys Pickin' up Chicks!"
This famous WWI enlistment poster may have been the inspiration for a whole lot of "original" movie poster art:

Can you name the movies and wheter or not they played the 'thon? For a hint you can zoom in and see the names of the stars.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 3:09pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Fraaaank! I worked hard on that one, and here you gave away all of the answers in less than half an hour! Nobody else got a chance to  buzz through C and D or struggle with the almost impossible letter G!  Angry

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 4:19pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Jan 12th, 2012 at 3:09pm:
Fraaaank! I worked hard on that one, and here you gave away all of the answers in less than half an hour! Nobody else got a chance to  buzz through C and D or struggle with the almost impossible letter G!  Angry

Trivia is my area, science fiction films are a passion, poster collecting is a long time hobby and a business.  The quiz was answered in the time that it took me to write the responses.  There was little chance given the nature of the quiz.  I have removed the answers to give others a go.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 9:05am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Here are the Answers:

Just like the "Twenty Horrible Monsters" list on the Youtube thread, the images could have gone on and on, maybe even stumping Frank, (but probably not)! I intentionally left off a host of famous ones like "Creature From The Black Lagoon", "The Wolf Man '41" and "King Kong" as too easy and a handfull of others as too hard. Smiley

Surprisingly few of these have played the 'Thon, althought a couple have been on the "wish list" for years. Can you name them?

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 11:16am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Thanks for keeping us occupied and contented while we wait for the thon.  These quizzes involve time and your efforts to keep us entertained are much appreciated.  The images are cool too!. 

The number of 50's, 60's and 70's titles that have NOT played the thon is significant.  I would be surprised if there are many of these available in 35mm although they do pop up from time to time.  I am content to see 2 or 3 over the curse of the 24 hours.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 12:13am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Jan 18th, 2012 at 11:16am:
Thanks for keeping us occupied and contented while we wait for the thon.  These quizzes involve time and your efforts to keep us entertained are much appreciated.  The images are cool too!. 

The number of 50's, 60's and 70's titles that have NOT played the thon is significant.  I would be surprised if there are many of these available in 35mm although they do pop up from time to time.  I am content to see 2 or 3 over the curse of the 24 hours. 

Dittos,many 50s,60s and 70s titles that haven't shown yet may not exist on a viewable print unless they are restruck.
I've been requesting Green Slime for years.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 12:29am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Believe me, there are several of us who are hunting for a GREEN SLIME print. There have been 2 or 3 'sightings', but they have all been in 16mm. The hunt goes on....

Lile wrote on Jan 20th, 2012 at 12:13am:

Dittos,many 50s,60s and 70s titles that haven't shown yet may not exist on a viewable print unless they are restruck.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 7:59am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 20th, 2012 at 12:29am:
Believe me, there are several of us who are hunting for a GREEN SLIME print. There have been 2 or 3 'sightings', but they have all been in 16mm. The hunt goes on....

Lile wrote on Jan 20th, 2012 at 12:13am:

While we search, here is a musical interlude. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izr3Cidaz1M&feature=related

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 9:09am

kirok   Offline
God Member

green slime has never played at the marathon? that's a travesty! the situation needs to be rectified.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #29 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 11:33am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

kirok wrote on Jan 20th, 2012 at 9:09am:
green slime has never played at the marathon? that's a travesty! the situation needs to be rectified.

Well, if you manage to rectify the travesty by finding an existing print, youre going to run straight into Frank's fury when it turns out to be as red as a beet!
     Honestly, any print of that movie that still exists -- 16 or 35 -- is RED.  The only way around it is to get a new print struck....but then you have to worry about finding the original elements and hoping theyve been stored correctly, because if they werent, theyll have shifted or faded as well.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9