WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Sci-Fi Quiz (Read 107362 times)
Oct 19th, 2011 at 3:14pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

It's time to getting in mental shape for the nearly impossible trivia contest. You can ask Siri, just not the IMDB.
PM me your answers and I'll PM your scores. Will post all the answers in a week or so if anybody asks.

To that end...

Sci-fi films of the fifties provided an alternative to the dumb blonde roles that prevailed in the musical/comedy films of the era. How well do you know your brainy brunettes of the period? Take the quiz and find out. Match the pictures, films and names of the following:

The Actress
(All played the female lead and have at least 10 film credits.)

1. Mara Corday                        
2. Dana Wynters                        
3. Ann Robinson
4. Faith Domergue
5. Joan Taylor
6. Margaret Sheridan                        
7. Paula Raymond
8. Shirley Patterson
9. Joan Weldon                        
10. Julie Adams

Starred in:

Q. It Came From Beneath The Sea (55'), This Island Earth (55')

R. Creature From The Black Lagoon (54')

S. War of The Worlds (53', 05')

T. Them (54')

U. The Thing From Another World (51')

V. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (56'), 20 Million Miles To Earth (57')

W. Invasion of The Body Snatchers (56') The Invaders (TV)

X. Tarantula (55'), The Giant Claw (57') and The Black Scorpion(57')

Y. It: The Terror From Beyond Space (58') World Without End (56')

Z. The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (53')                              

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 11:08am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

I guess that my nearly impossible quiz has turned out to be entirely impossible! Here's what I hope will be an easier version: Same questions, same answers, only the studio glamour shots of the women have been replaced with shots from one of the films involved.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 5:42pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Here are the answers.
I believe that almost all of the Actresses and most of the movies* appeared at the Marathon at some point. How did everybody do? I'm annually astounded by the number who know all the answers at the Thon'.

*The exception might be Shirley Patterson ("It: The Terror From Beyond Space" and "World Without End" which, I recently found out, actually predates "Forbidden Planet" as a Technicolor wide screen sci-fi.) I'm convinced that "It" was remade as "Alien" with Sigourney Weaver in Shirley's role. There are just too many similarities. If those two titles haven't played they really should!

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 8:17pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thanks for the quiz.

As to which films mentioned played the marathon, MOST did. Two of the films (plus, the INVADERS tv show) have not.

Can you name them?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 8:32pm

Metaluna   Offline

Creature from the Black Lagoon and Black Scorpion?

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 8:43pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Metaluna wrote on Oct 27th, 2011 at 8:32pm:
Creature from the Black Lagoon and Black Scorpion?

BINGO!!

Also, I've added an updated filmography of ALL the movies we've shown the past 36 years here
: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1319765286

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 9:50pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Creature from the Black Lagoon and Black Scorpion?...Bingo

I was just guessing as to what played before SF15*. I'm surprised that something as famous as "Creature" never played. Now I'm regretting leaving out Barbara Rush ("When Worlds Collide" and "It Came From Outer Space").

I  didn't know that the 05' "War of The Worlds" featured a cameo by Ann Robinson until I did her picture search. Like far too many SF remakes done in the past six years, I thought it best to give the '05 "War" the 'thon test, that is to say if the 'thon runs it -great. If not -it can wait.   Wink

*The link to the list doesn't like me... Sad
Quote:
You are not allowed to access this section.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 9:57pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I'm working on that bug in the system for the filmography. I have a temporary listing here: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1319772249/0#0

But, no, CREATURE has never shown, although it's second sequel THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US has. Go figure.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 1:01pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Cephelapod People...or When Calamari Goes Bad!

How well do you know your acquatic squids, octopii, nautilii and their mutated ilk?

Title (Year) /Played as SF
1. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954,1916) /10,18
2. Bride of the Monster (1955) /Not?
3. City of Lost Children(1995) /24
4. Deep Rising (1998)
5. Gamera vs. Viras (1968)
6. The Host (2006) /36
7. It Came from Beneath The Sea (1955) /6,15,24
8. King Kong vs Godzilla (1962) /11
9. The Mist (2007)
10. Monster from the Ocean Floor (1954)
11. Mysterious Island (1961, 1929) /4,25
12. Reap the Wild Wind (1942)
13. Sh! the Octopus (1937) /28
14. Space Amoeba/Yog (1970)                  
15. Tentacles (1977)
16. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1961)      
17. War of the Gargantuans (1968)
18. Warlords of the Deep/Atlantis (1978)

WHO YOU GONNA CALL?

i Kirk Douglas and James Mason
j Doug McClure & John Ratzenberger
k Jeunet and Caro
l Bela Lugosi & Tor Johnson
m South Korean Archery Team
n John Huston & Henry Fonda
o Ishiro Honda & Kenji Sahara
p Russ Tamblyn & Kenji Sahara
q Model tanks, lots of model tanks
r more model tanks
s Treat Williams & Wes Studi
t John Wayne & Ray Milland
u Herbert Lom & Michael Craig
v Roger Corman & mexican extras
w Walter Pidgeon & Peter Lorre
x Hugh Herbert & Allen Jenkins
y Andre Braugher & Marcia Gay Harden
z Kenneth Tobey & Faith Domergue

Just to make it hard there are extra titles and actor/director pairs.  Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2011 at 5:53pm by R_F_Fineman »  

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 6:54pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I did this type of quiz years ago at the thon.  No one did especially well.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 6:10pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

the picture of kirk with communicator that we click on to access the message board? what episode is it from? i say "wolf in the fold"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 7:08pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Frank notes:
Quote:
Quote   I did this type of quiz years ago at the thon.  No one did especially well.

I'm starting to see that you're right. The quiz seems harder than I thought. Given that B,E,F,G, I, J and L played at the thon', and that D includes a model submarine made famous in a 60's TV series, and that scene H was reenacted by Tim Burton, I would think that the remainders could be worked out by elimination and a feel for what a 40's movie, and four movies made between 68' and 78' looked like.

Which ones have everybody stumped?

Kirok:
Quote:
the picture of kirk with communicator that we click on to access the message board? what episode is it from? i say "wolf in the fold"

I'm thinking its the one where someone goes berserk, Shatner gets his shirt ripped in a fight with an alien, and then flirts with a scantilly clad woman. Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 8:42pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-1IqjwysmIThe episode is Catspaw.  Geez, I thought you guys knew Star Trek .............

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Nov 5th, 2011 at 12:00pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Answers:

Cephalapod movies/ Played       Pic Used                  Who you gonna' Call?

20,000 Leagues  (1954, 1916)/10,18       B                        James Mason & Kirk Douglas
Bride of the Monster (1955)/Not?            H                        Bela Lugosi & Tor Johnson
City of Lost Children (1995)/24              G                        Jeunet and Caro
Deep Rising (1998)                                                          Treat Williams & Wes Studi      
Gamera vs. Viras (1968)                       C                        Model Tanks, lots of Model Tanks                        
The Host (2006)/36                               J                         South Korean Archery Team                        
It Came from Beneath The Sea (1955)/6,15,24 F              Kenneth Tobey & Faith Domergue
King Kong vs Godzilla (1962)/11             E                        more model tanks
The Mist (2007)                                                             Andre Braugher & Marcia Gay Harden
Monster from the Ocean Floor (1954)                               Roger Corman & mexican extras
Mysterious Island (1961, 1929)/4,25       L                        Herbert Lom & Michael Craig
Reap the Wild Wind (1942)                    N                        John Wayne & Ray Milland
Sh! the Octopus (1937)/28                     I                        Hugh Herbert & Allen Jenkins
Space Amoeba/Yog (1970)                    M                        Ishiro Honda & Kenji Sahara
Tentacles (1977)                                  A                        John Huston & Henry Fonda
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1961) D                        Walter Pidgeon & Peter Lorre
War of the Gargantuans (1968)                                      Russ Tamblyn & Kenji Sahara
Warlords of the Deep/Atlantis (1978)      K                         Doug McClure & John Ratzenberger

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 10:06am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

The amazing part is the number of Oscar nominees and winners in column three! Even having worked with Henry Fonda, John Huston, John Wayne, James Mason, Kirk Douglas, Walter Pidgeon, Ray Milland and Marcia Gay Harden couldn't spare the rubber octopus from the dreaded fate of being typecast. Wink

Bela Lugosi (as played by Martin Landau) vs. the Octopus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZbLFXqhbQM

"You know I turned down "Frankenstein"...not dignified"

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9