WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
other MARATHONS & FESTIVALS (Read 89060 times)
Reply #75 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 2:35pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Quite the lineup, I must say.

My only quibble is showing two ALIEN films. I know Ohio has done this before, but, eh. And, I don't get the love for bringing back the mediocre HARDWARE a 2nd time.

Good lineup, overall.

pogo wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 10:51pm:
The March 15 Columbus list was just announced. Here's a rip & read from their site.

Yep, it's here: the OFFICIAL LINEUP for SF32 (March 14-15 at the Drexel Theater). This year, we pay tribute to women in science fiction, kickass ladies who take no guff. And what a slate of cinematic delights we have for you. The list is:

*Jane Fonda, Anita Pallenberg and a memorable supporting cast in Roger Vadim's va va voom '60s classic BARBARELLA (in a new Panavision 2K DCP!)

*Master Italian satirist Elio Petri's rarely screened go go entertainment satire THE 10th VICTIM! Starring Marcello Mastroianni and Bond girl Ursula Andress!

*Scarlett Johansson in Luc Besson's visually bombastic, wildly entertaining 2014 romp LUCY! In Panavision 2K DCP!

*A rare 35mm screening of Roger Corman's 1958 feminist power panic camp classic THE WASP WOMAN!

*A rare 35mm screening of the infamous Richard Stanley's 1990 robot vs. man, robot vs, woman, ROBOT VS. EVERYONE gem HARDWARE!

*The OHIO PREMIERE of festival favorite TIME LAPSE!

*The MIDWEST PREMIERE of the brand new mind-bender SHADOWS ON THE WALL!

*Sean Young, Joanna Cassidy, Daryl Hannah, Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, and replicants, replicants, replicants in a new Panavision 2K DCP of Ridley Scott's BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT!

*A rare 35mm Panavision screening of Julien Temple's cult classic EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY! With Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis, Damon Wayans, Julie Brown, and Jim Carrey!

*A new Panavision 2K DCP of Sigourney Weaver's signature role in ALIEN!

*And a new 2K DCP of its hyper-kinetic sequel ALIENS!

Comment: The list includes several of my all time bests, my favorite silly film, several other goodies, the only recent film I've wanted to see and missed, and 4 that I've never seen, all of which look interesting. An impressive list.
Oh, and Barbarella to sleep through!!!
My 24 hours will be complete.

IP Logged

Reply #76 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 4:28pm

Joe Neff   Offline

Aside from having both ALIEN and ALIENS as marquee titles to balance out some of the more esoteric fare in the lineup, and as a bookend concept (something we haven't really done at a Columbus Marathon since 1999), their dual inclusion also serves to further chart the progress of women in science fiction film.  The Ripley of ALIEN is tough, but more forced into surviving the ordeal, while in ALIENS she's morphed into the prototypical Cameron-ized badass war merchant.  Also, we were struggling to get some '70s representation, and figured that ALIENS would make the '70s aesthetics of ALIEN stand out even more.

IP Logged

Reply #77 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 4:44pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Joe Neff wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 4:28pm:
Aside from having both ALIEN and ALIENS as marquee titles to balance out some of the more esoteric fare in the lineup, and as a bookend concept (something we haven't really done at a Columbus Marathon since 1999), their dual inclusion also serves to further chart the progress of women in science fiction film.  The Ripley of ALIEN is tough, but more forced into surviving the ordeal, while in ALIENS she's morphed into the prototypical Cameron-ized badass war merchant.  Also, we were struggling to get some '70s representation, and figured that ALIENS would make the '70s aesthetics of ALIEN stand out even more.

I get all that, but when you only have Eleven spots it seems a waste to have two movies from the same series represented. If ALIENS is the finale, it would head to the exits early for me if I attended. Add in BLADE RUNNER and you have three biggies all from a very brief range of years.

And, to have only WASP WOMAN as your representative of the early years of sci-fi is a bit thin (it's a fun tiny movie; and, hopefully, it is the theatrical cut because TV prints are heavily padded). Much better to have something from an earlier era than the curious choice of revisiting HARDWARE, which has a tiny cult around it, but, is mainly forgotten, if "gotten" at all.

But, it's nice to have no overlap with the Boston schedule for once, and there seems to be fun to be had. Just wish it wasn't so close in date to Boston's.  Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #78 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 5:43pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 2:35pm:

As long as you somehow overlook all the DCPs, right?

(in a new Panavision 2K DCP!)
LUCY! In Panavision 2K DCP!
new Panavision 2K DCP of Ridley Scott's BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT!
Panavision 2K DCP of Sigourney Weaver's signature role in ALIEN!

Just so we're all on the same technical page, there is no such thing as a "Panavision" DCP.  They may make a digital transfer from a movie shot in Panavision, but thats where it stops, kids.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #79 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 7:02pm

Joe Neff   Offline

Oh, trust me, if we had the Somerville's projection capabilities, there'd be a whole lot more 35mm film in that lineup.  But hey, you do what you can with what you have.

IP Logged

Reply #80 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 10:23pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

I love David, but YAY to Joe's comment.
The film is most often superior to the quality of its projection.
You have to go with what you've got.
I do not know enough to have an educated opinion about DCP. But I ask David, do you absolutely determine what you choose by the quality of the print?

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #81 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 12:00am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 5:43pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 2:35pm:

As long as you somehow overlook all the DCPs, right?

I was talking the software (movies) not the hardware (prints).

It's a good well balanced lineup overall, with some quibbles.

IP Logged

Reply #82 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 1:51am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

It's not a bad line-up especially with the inclusion of The Tenth Victim and Barbarella but after that....well, we have some problems.

1950's are woefully absent except for the very minor Corman piece Wasp Woman.  It's fun but as a sole representative of 50's science fiction...meh.  Two Alien movies are overkill. Digital prints, too! Bladerunner is a terrific movie but its' presence merely adds to the log jam of four films (when you throw in Earth Girls Are Easy) covering the period from 1979 to 1988.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #83 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 2:23am

Joe Neff   Offline

One of the tougher parts about being part of the Marathon scene for so long?  Realizing that the crowds do, indeed, get younger.  And that for a good chunk of that younger crowd, the '80s is the new '50s.  It's something that we've striven to address in crafting the lineups for both Horror and Sci-Fi the last few years.

When we chose to go with the Women in Sci-Fi theme, we knew that the '50s might be a problem.  Quite a few of the prime titles of that era which fit had either played recently or were only available on DVD.  And unlike the Somerville, a good chunk of archival 35mm prints aren't available to the theater that we run out of.  WASP WOMAN was one of the few 35mm titles we could secure that fit into the theme.

Bottom line?  Boston probably has the most long term, hardcore loyal audience of the three major 24-Hour Marathons.  But Columbus has far more of a mix of older and younger attendees.  And if we focus too much on the distant past (at least in the minds of many of the younger fans) we die.

IP Logged

Reply #84 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 4:22am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Joe Neff wrote on Jan 31st, 2015 at 2:23am:
One of the tougher parts about being part of the Marathon scene for so long?  Realizing that the crowds do, indeed, get younger.  And that for a good chunk of that younger crowd, the '80s is the new '50s.  It's something that we've striven to address in crafting the lineups for both Horror and Sci-Fi the last few years.

When we chose to go with the Women in Sci-Fi theme, we knew that the '50s might be a problem.  Quite a few of the prime titles of that era which fit had either played recently or were only available on DVD.  And unlike the Somerville, a good chunk of archival 35mm prints aren't available to the theater that we run out of.  WASP WOMAN was one of the few 35mm titles we could secure that fit into the theme.

Bottom line?  Boston probably has the most long term, hardcore loyal audience of the three major 24-Hour Marathons.  But Columbus has far more of a mix of older and younger attendees.  And if we focus too much on the distant past (at least in the minds of many of the younger fans) we die.

We have a good audience mix as well.  Believe me, as the guy handing out the loot bags, I see every soul walking into the event and there are a plenty of younger members. I hardly consider picking 2 films from the 50's as too much focus.  Your mileage may vary. To my way of thinking, this era of science fiction film certainly deserves better.  There is not much love for the 70's either.  As I said a decent line-up just not a very representative one.  We all have our holes it seems. I am happy that at long last someone is paying tribute to The 10th Victim, a film I have requested year after year.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #85 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 11:40am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Jan 31st, 2015 at 4:22am:
Joe Neff wrote on Jan 31st, 2015 at 2:23am:

We have a good audience mix as well.  Believe me, as the guy handing out the loot bags, I see every soul walking into the event and there are a plenty of younger members. I hardly consider picking 2 films from the 50's as too much focus.  Your mileage may vary. To my way of thinking, this era of science fiction film certainly deserves better.  There is not much love for the 70's either.  As I said a decent line-up just not a very representative one.  We all have our holes it seems. I am happy that at long last someone is paying tribute to The 10th Victim, a film I have requested year after year. 

Always nice to see you kids discussing the marathon. Wink
Have to agree with Frank about liking the audience mix. Quite a few families along with some grizzled 'thon veterans. Plus groups of film fan friends who come for a fun night of classics & schlock. I usually stress the experience as much as the films to someone thinking of going for the first time.
The Somerville is a big part of that experience with the huge screen and the restored glory of the place making it  something a lot of filmgoers will never see anywhere else.

And you're right about 10th Victim, it does deserve another showing, not only a pretty good action film but its a great time capsule film that's really of its era. Or as the poster for Sleeper put it, "A Nostalgic look at the future."

Hey that's not a bad idea for a future marathon theme. 

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #86 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 3:58pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

This is so, so good, one of the best I saw in Montreal last summer.  It's easy for the Boston crowd to miss just how much pretty-good-to-great independent science fiction is being made right now because it doesn't make theaters and Garen tends to care more about premieres than quality in programming the festival, but if you put the effort to find stuff like Time Lapse in, it's not hard to argue that we're in a mini-golden age right now.

As to the complaints about decades being under-represented in either Marathon...  It's inevitable.  The number of decades to include has doubled since these events began but the hours in a day haven't.  Unless you want to push the thon a few hours in each direction, it's going to get thinner.

And I don't know that the fifties being what thins out is really a bad thing; they don't connect quite so immediately to an audience whose birth year is constantly moving forward.  The Cold War concerns are less relevant, they feature fewer non-white-males in prominent, important roles, and a lot of folks younger than me just don't have the nostalgic attachment to them.  And even if they did, science fiction is more about looking forward than looking back.

IP Logged

Reply #87 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 4:52pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Joe Neff wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 7:02pm:
Oh, trust me, if we had the Somerville's projection capabilities

We can all dream!  Oh, wait.....   Wink

IP Logged

Reply #88 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 5:00pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

pogo wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 10:23pm:
I love David, but YAY to Joe's comment.
The film is most often superior to the quality of its projection.

We're going to disagree on that.  You cant appreciate a miserably projected movie, no matter what excuses come to mind.  And youll get the full monty when you see the digital transfers of Moonraker & The Day the Earth Stood Still.
     If they work, of course.

Quote:
I do not know enough to have an educated opinion about DCP. But I ask David, do you absolutely determine what you choose by the quality of the print?

I dont get to choose nothing.  Garen chooses the titles.  I run them.  About the only input I have is negotiating the order, because some things are technically more difficult to pull off than others.
     I did tell Garen that the 70mm system would be up & running before the Thon (and it will be), & suggested a bunch of titles, of which 2001 was one.
     Thats as far as my choices get to go!

IP Logged

Reply #89 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 5:14pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Jan 31st, 2015 at 3:58pm:

This is so, so good, one of the best I saw in Montreal last summer.  It's easy for the Boston crowd to miss just how much pretty-good-to-great independent science fiction is being made right now because it doesn't make theaters and Garen tends to care more about premieres than quality in programming the festival, but if you put the effort to find stuff like Time Lapse in, it's not hard to argue that we're in a mini-golden age right now.

As to the complaints about decades being under-represented in either Marathon...  It's inevitable.  The number of decades to include has doubled since these events began but the hours in a day haven't.  Unless you want to push the thon a few hours in each direction, it's going to get thinner.

And I don't know that the fifties being what thins out is really a bad thing; they don't connect quite so immediately to an audience whose birth year is constantly moving forward.  The Cold War concerns are less relevant, they feature fewer non-white-males in prominent, important roles, and a lot of folks younger than me just don't have the nostalgic attachment to them.  And even if they did, science fiction is more about looking forward than looking back.

Got to agree. As I have posted, a movie from the Late-80s, Early-90s is JUST AS OLD TO US NOW as a 50s film was when the Marathon began.

Still, it IS best when a line-up is balanced.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7