WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
other MARATHONS & FESTIVALS (Read 89043 times)
Reply #60 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 11:41am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Rich Bartlett wrote on Jan 12th, 2014 at 7:40am:
M.I.T. announced the line-up for their annual Science Fiction Movie Marathon :

http://lsc.mit.edu/schedule/2014.1q/desc-marathon.shtml

Tremors
Pacific Rim
Aliens
MST3K: The Movie
plus a surprise?

Not a bad lineup at all, very tempting.
But can someone survive almost 11 hours of movies?  Smiley

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #61 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 11:37pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Just noted that the Columbus list was never posted here. It will be happening (as stated above) March 15 & 16.
Here's a rip & tear from their site.

*The much-lauded 2010 Kino restoration of Fritz Lang's visionary science-fiction masterpiece METROPOLIS! Yes, it's the longest known version of the film, featuring the original 1927 orchestral score, all in sparkling 2K DCP!

*Kurt Russell heading an all-star cast plunged smack dab in the middle of the dystopian prison world of New York City, in a new 2K DCP of John Carpenter's Panavision classic ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK!

*The psychedelic cyberpunk world of Neo-Tokyo in Katsuhiro Otomo's ground-breaking anime landmark AKIRA!

*Arnold Schwarzenegger trapped in Richard Dawson's kill or be killed, ultimate game show nightmare in THE RUNNING MAN (in 35mm)!

*A 35mm print of the post-apocalyptic New Zealand cult classic THE QUIET EARTH!

*Karl Urban bringing cult comic icon Judge Dredd to life in the gritty, underrated DREDD, in hallucinatory 2K DCP Panavision!

*The payoff to one of the great trailers in Marathon history! Yep, it's Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro's post-apocalyptic dark comedy DELICATESSEN!

*A 35mm print of the off the wall, day-glo, Banana Splits on acid, all-time Marathon classic INFRA-MAN!

PLUS!

*Emilio Estevez and Harry Dean Stanton on the hunt for a '64 Chevy Malibu in a 2K DCP of Alex Cox's punk classic REPO MAN!

*The definitive 1950's alien invasion classic EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS, in xeromorphic 2K DCP!

*Kyle MacLahlan in a 35mm print of the alien possession actioner THE HIDDEN!

AND!

*The 31st Annual Costume Contest with $100 First Prize!
*Vintage trailers and shorts in glorious 35mm!
*The coveted Certificate of Marathoid Behavior to all who survive!
*Surprises! Hilarity! Caffeine-induced dementia!

Tickets for this cinematic starflight are $35 in advance and $40 at the door (if they last).

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #62 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 1:29pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The Ohio Marathon is today.

EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS is up first.

IP Logged

Reply #63 - Mar 16th, 2014 at 2:29pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Did some twitter searching. Found this Ohio Marathoner who posted a video blog after each movie.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyWDj7_emYcOePVlSbbRXGA/videos

IP Logged

Reply #64 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 11:03pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

This years Terrorthon is more horror than last years. Not too bad a lineup.

Of BIG interest for SF40 is Creature From The Black Lagoon, maybe the last 50's classic still not shown at a thon and it's in 3D too!!!! (just what we need, more eyestrain)  Smiley

Maybe The Thing too since we have not shown it since SF35.

IP Logged

Reply #65 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 9:58am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Here's a rip & Tear from the Columbus site announcing their  24 hour Horror Marathon, SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK!
It starts on October 18.

*The OHIO PREMIERE of the festival hit HOUSEBOUND, an eerie, comedic, haunted house film from New Zealand. Sentenced to house arrest with her parents, trouble-making Kylie soon finds out that her childhood homestead holds a lot more secrets than she bargained for. Peter Martin, of Twitch Film says HOUSEBOUND "“Quickly tears apart the classic haunted-house movie piece by piece, and then reconstructs it on the fly with fresh new materials, garnished with oodles of blood, dark comedy, strong characters, and genuine suspense”, and Peter Jackson calls it "Bloody Brilliant!" See the OHIO PREMIERE with our fantabulously loony audience!

*The OHIO PREMIERE of Helene Catte and Bruno Forzani's psychedelic, psychotropic, mind-bending Italian horror tribute THE STRANGE COLOR OF YOUR BODY'S TEARS. Ainitcool News calls it "Freakish...sexy...and deeply, deeply disturbed", and Fangoria dubs it "Hypnotizing and assaulting". It's a bloody, erotic dreamscape of a tribute to your most primal fears...and beyond. See it first with the Nightmarathon faithful!

*The OHIO PREMIERE of local experimental filmmaker (and longtime Marathoid) Mike Olenick's haunting horror short RED LUCK. The Underground Film Journal calls RED LUCK "gorgeous and disturbing" , and it won the Most Beautiful Film Award at the Chicago Underground Film Festival. We've seen it, and it's one hell of a deranged, lyrical, mind-melting experience. Mike will be on hand for a Q+A accompanying the film.

*An incredibly rare, once in a lifetime 35mm screening of Zoltan Spencer's long lost satanic cult/erotic film THE SATANIST! For almost 50 years, this was thought to be a lost film, but we'll finally be unleashing it once again on a live audience! Outside of a Philadelphia screening a month ago, there's very little known about THE SATANIST...which should make it perfect fodder for your demented minds.

*A new 4K DCP restoration of the one, the only, the ORIGINAL, the greatest drive-in movie ever (to quote Joe Bob Briggs: "The Saw is still king!"), the brand new 4K restoration of Tobe Hooper's THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE!!! For the first time, the filmmakers have gone back to the original 16mm elements to create a TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE experience like you've never seen before. Unleash the terror in this gorgeous, brutal landmark of terror, all in butcherific DCP!

*Lamberto Bava's absolutely brilliant and bonkers "I went to the movies and all I got was this demon possession" gorefest DEMONS! In glorious 35mm! If you enjoy blood, possession, heavy metal and more motor cycles than you can throw a dead cat at, you'll have a blast!

*Dario Argento's sleek, modernist, gory, haunting slasher classic TENEBRE! Anthony Franciosa is an American horror author on book tour in Rome who is haunted by the series of copycat murders that mirror his books. Featuring some of Argento's best gore scenes and a throbbing soundtrack by most of the original Goblin! (NOTE: For years, we've tried to secure a close to uncut 35mm print of TENEBRE, but it's become apparent that we won't be able to secure said print anytime in the near future. So we'll be presenting a high quality digital copy of the film; we've seen it, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Plus, this finally gives us the opportunity to share it with the greatest audience in the world!)

*A brand spankin' new 2K DCP restoration of Werner Herzog's lush, atmospheric remake of NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE, featuring the luminous Isabelle Adjani, the magnetic Bruno Ganz, a haunting score by Popul Vuh......and, oh yeah, the madman of Deutschland himself, Klaus Kinski as everyone's favorite fang-toothed vampire. This comes from our good friends at Bleeding Light Film Group, who brought you the complete version of Andrzej Zulawski's POSSESSION that played in 2012, so expect nothing but the best in this Marathon first.

*Another Horror Marathon first (believe it or not) with a 2K DCP screening of James Whale's creepy and humorous, "why are those pants running down the street" Universal classic THE INVISIBLE MAN.

*Christopher Lee, Edward Woodward and the gorgeous Britt Ekland in the critically acclaimed Final Cut of Robin Hardy's stone cold Brit cult classic THE WICKER MAN (in paganistic 2K DCP.) We've been waiting for years to screen this at the Columbus Horror Marathon, and now, thanks to the twisted folks at Rialto Pictures, you can savor the creeping dread of this horror landmark with the best audience in the world.

*Kubrick! King! Nicholson! Duvall! Redrum! Penderecki! Carlos! Faked moon landings? It's a testament to its enduring power that THE SHINING continues to inspire such diverse levels of appreciation. Now, revisit the Overlook Hotel once again in haunting 2K DCP.

*A rare 35mm screening of the absolutely bizarro gem THE MANITOU, with an all-star cast of Tony Curtis, Susan Strasberg, Stella Stevens, and Burgess Meredith, with a score by the great Lalo Schifrin. Seriously, if you haven't seen this yet (it's out of print on DVD) you should wait until October, and then run to the Drexel like there's no tomorrow to experience all of THE MANITOU's wild charms.

*And last, but certainly not least, is Barbara Crampton in Adam Wingard's superior home invasion shocker YOU'RE NEXT. This one had great buzz coming out of the 2011 festival circuit, but when it was finally released last August, crowds stayed away. Boy, did they miss out, 'cause this one if a tremendous exercise in suspense and raw, bone-chilling terror. Highly recommended, and sure to go over well with this crowd in atmospheric 2K DCP.

Tickets for SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK are
$40 in advance
$45 at the door (if there are any left)

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #66 - Oct 3rd, 2014 at 1:07pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Any intrepid travelers who want to get their October marathon chills on the west coast:

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar ... horrorthon

CREEPSHOW 1982. GARGOYLES 1972. THE THING 1982. THE NIGHT OF A THOUSAND CATS
(LA NOCHE DE LOS MIL GATOS), 1972. THE DEADLY SPAWN 1983. BASKET CASE 1982. ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST (aka DOCTOR BUTCHER, M.D.).

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 5:24pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Cleveland/CWRU Marathon, Jan16-17 list announced.

8:30 PM - Godzilla (2014, PG-13, 35 mm)
11:00 PM - [Surprise I] (--, PG, 35 mm)
1:15 AM - The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957, UR, 35 mm)
3:00 AM - Sleeper (1973, PG)
4:45 AM - Steamboy (2004, PG-13, 35 mm)
7:15 AM - Honey I Shrunk the Kids (1989, PG, 35 mm)
9:00 AM - Forbidden Planet (1956, G)
11:00 AM - [Surprise II] (--, Approved, 35 mm)
12:30 PM - Jodorowsky's Dune (2013, PG-13, 35 mm)
2:45 PM - Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958, PG)
4:15 PM - Edge of Tomorrow (2014, PG-13, 35 mm)
6:30 PM - [Surprise III] (--, Approved, 35 mm)
8:00 PM - Jumanji (1995, PG, 35 mm)
10:00 PM - Tremors (1990, PG-13, 35 mm)
Announcement is on Facebook.
Just noted that  Jodorowsky's Dune  was nominated for an Oscar for Best Documentary.
Steamboy is manga steampunk by the guy who made Akira.
Usually one surprise is a newbie, one pretty wacko and one humorous - but who knows. Although the overall list is sort of pedestrian a little quality among the surprises would make it a decent (All 35mm!) list.
Most often they add some special treat. They also run about two hours late by the end, taking them well into the next day.
On the odd chance that anyone from Boston is thinking of attending, let me know for lodging/parking/hints.

IP Logged

Reply #68 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 9:09pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thanks, Pogo. Nice to see all the 35mm film on the schedule!

STEAMBOY played the Boston SF marathon - went over so-so.

Note: Jodorowsky's Dune has NOT been nominated for an Oscar yet. But, it did make the shortlist. Announcements come out in January.

pogo wrote on Dec 5th, 2014 at 5:24pm:
Cleveland/CWRU Marathon, Jan16-17 list announced.

8:30 PM - Godzilla (2014, PG-13, 35 mm)
11:00 PM - [Surprise I] (--, PG, 35 mm)
1:15 AM - The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957, UR, 35 mm)
3:00 AM - Sleeper (1973, PG)
4:45 AM - Steamboy (2004, PG-13, 35 mm)
7:15 AM - Honey I Shrunk the Kids (1989, PG, 35 mm)
9:00 AM - Forbidden Planet (1956, G)
11:00 AM - [Surprise II] (--, Approved, 35 mm)
12:30 PM - Jodorowsky's Dune (2013, PG-13, 35 mm)
2:45 PM - Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958, PG)
4:15 PM - Edge of Tomorrow (2014, PG-13, 35 mm)
6:30 PM - [Surprise III] (--, Approved, 35 mm)
8:00 PM - Jumanji (1995, PG, 35 mm)
10:00 PM - Tremors (1990, PG-13, 35 mm)
Announcement is on Facebook.
Just noted that  Jodorowsky's Dune  was nominated for an Oscar for Best Documentary.
Steamboy is manga steampunk by the guy who made Akira.
Usually one surprise is a newbie, one pretty wacko and one humorous - but who knows. Although the overall list is sort of pedestrian a little quality among the surprises would make it a decent (All 35mm!) list.
Most often they add some special treat. They also run about two hours late by the end, taking them well into the next day.
On the odd chance that anyone from Boston is thinking of attending, let me know for lodging/parking/hints.

IP Logged

Reply #69 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 10:02pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Thanks for the correction LA.
As I responded to your note on the Columbus board, Jodorowsky's Dune is indeed only on the short list thus far. Still it is a serious acknowledgement of the makers of our genre. Looking forward to seeing it, and to the hope of an actual nomination in January.

A comment. For three years I have attended programs of the Oscar  Shorts & Documentary  nominees. If you want to see quality film check out where they might be shown in your area. If two theaters in Cleveland schedule the programs, then you can probably find a showing in your area.

And I shouldn't have said "All" 35 mm. Looking at the schedule, they only claim 11 of 14. Still the best ratio that I have seen in recent memory.

IP Logged

Reply #70 - Jan 18th, 2015 at 3:43pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Got back from the show early this morning.
The three "Surprises" were as old hat as can be imagined. They were:
Mutant Ninja Turtles (Why?)
Island of Lost Souls (A classic, but hard to watch. Saw it at the Thon last year.)
and, the definitive excrement (which I had previously avoided and therefore stayed up for) Plan Nine From Outer Space. There was a 5 minute joke Bloopers reel after the film that was better than the eternity of the actual movie. I question the choice as it was previously shown 25 years ago, (slept that time) which more than fulfills the goof of playing what has been described as the worst movie ever made.
Jodorowsky's Dune, & Edge of Tomorrow were my favorites, and perhaps by no coincidence two of the only three relative newbies. The other, the recent version of Godzilla, was actually quite good, although I missed this version not stomping Tokyo. Made you care about what happened to some of the characters. Not much internal continuity, but great visuals.
I very much like Tremors and Jumanji, and was glad for persons who got to see them for the first time. Unfortunately I had seen both of them recently, but that's my problem.
Sleeper is unique but I couldn't stand seeing it again, so I followed the obvious instruction.
Forbidden Planet is of course a genuine classic, but couldn't get into it for the tenth viewing.
Shrinking Man, 50 Foot Woman & Honey & I Should Have Pureed the Kids are all fillers. and unfortunately do not come up to the level of other retro stuff shown at CWRU in  previous years.
The advisor and movie society members set up a mock CWRU on stage for a lottery winner to stomp, Godzilla style. I credit their good spirits and work. Wish I could have gotten more into the movies. Still a nice event.
Lots of Columbus Marathon types were there. A couple post here. Wonder as to their reactions.

IP Logged

Reply #71 - Jan 18th, 2015 at 4:27pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thanks for the report!

How big was the crowd? How well behaved? And, how many stayed beginning to end?

pogo wrote on Jan 18th, 2015 at 3:43pm:
Got back from the show early this morning.
The three "Surprises" were as old hat as can be imagined. They were:
Mutant Ninja Turtles (Why?)
Island of Lost Souls (A classic, but hard to watch. Saw it at the Thon last year.)
and, the definitive excrement (which I had previously avoided and therefore stayed up for) Plan Nine From Outer Space. There was a 5 minute joke Bloopers reel after the film that was better than the eternity of the actual movie. I question the choice as it was previously shown 25 years ago, (slept that time) which more than fulfills the goof of playing what has been described as the worst movie ever made.
Jodorowsky's Dune, & Edge of Tomorrow were my favorites, and perhaps by no coincidence two of the only three relative newbies. The other, the recent version of Godzilla, was actually quite good, although I missed this version not stomping Tokyo. Made you care about what happened to some of the characters. Not much internal continuity, but great visuals.
I very much like Tremors and Jumanji, and was glad for persons who got to see them for the first time. Unfortunately I had seen both of them recently, but that's my problem.
Sleeper is unique but I couldn't stand seeing it again, so I followed the obvious instruction.
Forbidden Planet is of course a genuine classic, but couldn't get into it for the tenth viewing.
Shrinking Man, 50 Foot Woman & Honey & I Should Have Pureed the Kids are all fillers. and unfortunately do not come up to the level of other retro stuff shown at CWRU in  previous years.
The advisor and movie society members set up a mock CWRU on stage for a lottery winner to stomp, Godzilla style. I credit their good spirits and work. Wish I could have gotten more into the movies. Still a nice event.
Lots of Columbus Marathon types were there. A couple post here. Wonder as to their reactions.

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 12:27pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Crowd a little smaller. The in and out, especially of the college crowd, makes it very much a question of which film at which time. Watched the departure of a large wave two films from the end, which denied them two of my favorites.
Overall, seemed a little smaller this rear. The Cleveland crowd at its largest is no more than half that of Boston.
Joe comments below on the crowd demeanor. I agree.

See the last two posts from the Columbus Board by Joe & Zeke.http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1803

IP Logged

Reply #73 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 12:26pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I get the feeling we're going to see the Dune docu at SF40.

IP Logged

Reply #74 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 10:51pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

The March 15 Columbus list was just announced. Here's a rip & read from their site.

Yep, it's here: the OFFICIAL LINEUP for SF32 (March 14-15 at the Drexel Theater). This year, we pay tribute to women in science fiction, kickass ladies who take no guff. And what a slate of cinematic delights we have for you. The list is:

*Jane Fonda, Anita Pallenberg and a memorable supporting cast in Roger Vadim's va va voom '60s classic BARBARELLA (in a new Panavision 2K DCP!)

*Master Italian satirist Elio Petri's rarely screened go go entertainment satire THE 10th VICTIM! Starring Marcello Mastroianni and Bond girl Ursula Andress!

*Scarlett Johansson in Luc Besson's visually bombastic, wildly entertaining 2014 romp LUCY! In Panavision 2K DCP!

*A rare 35mm screening of Roger Corman's 1958 feminist power panic camp classic THE WASP WOMAN!

*A rare 35mm screening of the infamous Richard Stanley's 1990 robot vs. man, robot vs, woman, ROBOT VS. EVERYONE gem HARDWARE!

*The OHIO PREMIERE of festival favorite TIME LAPSE!

*The MIDWEST PREMIERE of the brand new mind-bender SHADOWS ON THE WALL!

*Sean Young, Joanna Cassidy, Daryl Hannah, Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, and replicants, replicants, replicants in a new Panavision 2K DCP of Ridley Scott's BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT!

*A rare 35mm Panavision screening of Julien Temple's cult classic EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY! With Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis, Damon Wayans, Julie Brown, and Jim Carrey!

*A new Panavision 2K DCP of Sigourney Weaver's signature role in ALIEN!

*And a new 2K DCP of its hyper-kinetic sequel ALIENS!

Comment: The list includes several of my all time bests, my favorite silly film, several other goodies, the only recent film I've wanted to see and missed, and 4 that I've never seen, all of which look interesting. An impressive list.
Oh, and Barbarella to sleep through!!!
My 24 hours will be complete.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7