WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
other MARATHONS & FESTIVALS (Read 89037 times)
Reply #45 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 7:59pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I wonder how many bootleg VHS and DVDs were sold over there?

MST3K fans' motto was,"Keep Circulating the Tapes!"

R_F_Fineman wrote on Sep 29th, 2013 at 2:28pm:
Sci-fi London has a great historic venue in Stratford where Shakespeare plays had first runs. Now they're planning a  Mystery Science Theater 3000 all-nighter this October 12th. featuring:

WEREWOLF
MONSTER A-GO-GO
BRIDE OF THE MONSTER
ROBOT MONSTER
BLOOD WATERS OF DR Z

The show never aired in the UK so this will be an introduction of sorts to Ed Wood, Ro-man and other US independent er, uh, "films".

I can certainly see why they didn't opt for this in the Bard's back yard:

IP Logged

Reply #46 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 10:11am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

With Halloween approaching it may be a good time to revisit the question of how to revive the costume contest. There are, no doubt, some talented amateur costumers out there that should be encouraged. As the following picture demonstrates, some even take it to the extreme.

Maybe a costume picture post thread could start to generate interest.

Both mrs. F and I have friends who would really enjoy the 'thon if they could only be convinced that it wasn't just a gathering of serious sci-fi film officianados, but was also a fun social environment.  Costumes are all about fun! Smiley

Previously on this thread...

Quote:
LA:
Some good ideas there!

If we aren't going to give away any kind of big prizes, we ain't gonna attract any serious entries.
Quote:
R_F_Fineman wrote on Jul 23rd, 2013 at 2:39pm:
Missed Comic-Con? Me too. Here are 850 pictures of what we missed:

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/456834-comic-con-2013-cosplay-gallery-850-photo....

I'm among those who wish the Sci-fi costume contest could be resurrected in a big way. The ranks of costumed contestants have dwindled over time. People are rightly resistant to putting on a costume and sitting through the 24-hour marathon.

What if the contest were held on the last night of the festival? If the Saturday night double feature included the costume contest, plus prizes and even free admission to contestants, participation would be easier and the numbers would increase. Plus pictures of the contestants could be posted in the lobby at the 'thon, on "Feckbook", and in other promotions.
Plus, as the above link demonstrates, costumes are a great promotional tool for creating the festival feel. If there were no costumes at Comic-Con would it still be a low-keyed event known only to the dedicated few?

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #47 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 11:53am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Sci-fi London has a very popular costume parade.
While parading through Somerville in February may not be our thing, it is a lot of fun seeing all of the costumes!

Here's a link to their "programme" (which translates into American as "program" Wink.)

http://www.sci-fi-london.com/festival/2013/oktoberfest/programme

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #48 - Oct 18th, 2013 at 3:36pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

The CWRU Film Society released their first list of films for their Jan. 17-19, 2014  39th Cleveland Marathon on Facebook.

After Earth
Iron Giant
Brazil
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Primer
Children of Men
Monsters Inc &
World's End

As usual, nothing experimental or particularly original, except perhaps Primer, which received mixed reviews. Later add-ons & (usually 3) Surprises  tend to be oldies, but again, nothing particularly obscure.
The last few years they have shown 14-16 films plus 8-10 cartoons & shorts, so there will be a bunch more announced.
Here's the link http://films.cwru.edu/marathon.php to what they've shown in the past. Scroll down for the listing by specific thon.
CWRU shows a mix of 35mm & digital. Last year it was somewhere around 50-50%.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #49 - Oct 18th, 2013 at 5:09pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Now, THAT is an early release of announced titles!!!!

But, really, they would announce AFTER EARTH?

That's supposed to be a "draw"?

pogo wrote on Oct 18th, 2013 at 3:36pm:
The CWRU Film Society released their first list of films for their Jan. 17-19, 2014  39th Cleveland Marathon on Facebook.

After Earth
Iron Giant
Brazil
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Primer
Children of Men
Monsters Inc &
World's End

As usual, nothing experimental or particularly original, except perhaps Primer, which received mixed reviews. Later add-ons & (usually 3) Surprises  tend to be oldies, but again, nothing particularly obscure.
The last few years they have shown 14-16 films plus 8-10 cartoons & shorts, so there will be a bunch more announced.
Here's the link http://films.cwru.edu/marathon.php to what they've shown in the past. Scroll down for the listing by specific thon.
CWRU shows a mix of 35mm & digital. Last year it was somewhere around 50-50%.

IP Logged

Reply #50 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 12:05am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

How do you figure?
Don't think announcements on Facebook are supposed to be draws.
If that were the case they'd wait until they had something like Star Trek Into Darkness. One list has it as the 12th biggest SF film ever http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=scifiadventure.htm Who knew?
Pretty selective list. They don't list The Avengers
Still,  CWRU tries to go simultaneously for the college crowd and the pure Marathon crowd.
My only source at CWRU said as of a month ago they were trying to get Darkness.
The Facebook announcement looks like more of an honest report than hype.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #51 - Nov 4th, 2013 at 7:49pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Slight update.
CWRU/Cleveland has now announced ten films - with the usual addition of three surprises

8:00PM -- After Earth (2013)
10:30PM -- The Iron Giant (1999)
12:30AM -- SURPRISE 1!
2:00AM -- Men In Black III (2012)
4:15AM -- Mysterious Island (1961)
6:30AM -- Brazil (1985)
9:15AM -- Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)
11:15AM -- Primer (2004)
1:00PM -- Children of Men (2006)
3:45PM -- Dune (1984)
6:30PM -- SURPRISE 2!
9:00PM -- Monsters, Inc (2001)
11:00PM -- The World's End (2013)
Who knows. Perhaps I'll finally be able to stay awake through all (seems like) three hours of Dune.
List is better than it looks - if you like recent stuff. The usual for the Surprises is one new film, one cult, and one absolute deadly sleep inducing turkey.
The timing looks as if they might slip in two Surprises at 6:30 Pm and then go on until three in the morning - a more usual than not occurrence.

IP Logged

Reply #52 - Nov 4th, 2013 at 11:09pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

pogo wrote on Nov 4th, 2013 at 7:49pm:
Slight update.
CWRU/Cleveland has now announced ten films - with the usual addition of three surprises

8:00PM -- After Earth (2013)
10:30PM -- The Iron Giant (1999)
12:30AM -- SURPRISE 1!
2:00AM -- Men In Black III (2012)
4:15AM -- Mysterious Island (1961)
6:30AM -- Brazil (1985)
9:15AM -- Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)
11:15AM -- Primer (2004)
1:00PM -- Children of Men (2006)
3:45PM -- Dune (1984)
6:30PM -- SURPRISE 2!
9:00PM -- Monsters, Inc (2001)
11:00PM -- The World's End (2013)
Who knows. Perhaps I'll finally be able to stay awake through all (seems like) three hours of Dune.
List is better than it looks - if you like recent stuff. The usual for the Surprises is one new film, one cult, and one absolute deadly sleep inducing turkey.
The timing looks as if they might slip in two Surprises at 6:30 Pm and then go on until three in the morning - a more usual than not occurrence.

Okay, starting with After Earth is really encouraging folks to come late.
The rest looks not too bad especially with Iron Giant on the bill. Men In Black III is a bit under-rated since it is an enjoyable story as a character piece. Monster University is really over rated.
Definitely lacking some classic fifties era films though.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #53 - Nov 4th, 2013 at 11:27pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Agree. They usually have some real classic(s) plus at least one vintage creature feature. They do have an affinity for 35mm, so perhaps availability is a factor.
The closest to "Classic" would be Mysterious Island -so they'll probably throw one oldie in at a Surprise slot.
I would point out that luckily they are not showing Monster University, but the actually very creative Monsters, Inc. University is a poor rehash.

IP Logged

Reply #54 - Nov 5th, 2013 at 3:31am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

MYSTERIOUS ISLAND is a somewhat underrated Harryhausen. In many ways it may actually be the best movie his effects appeared in. It's a very solid adventure tale even without the fantastical elements.

With the exception of the CARS films, MONSTERS INC always struck me as a low point of Pixar, so much so that I didn't even bother seeing the sequel this year.

And, DUNE 20 Hours in? That sounds like torture. But, I gather folks come and go at that Marathon more so than in Boston or Columbus, no?

pogo wrote on Nov 4th, 2013 at 11:27pm:
Agree. They usually have some real classic(s) plus at least one vintage creature feature. They do have an affinity for 35mm, so perhaps availability is a factor.
The closest to "Classic" would be Mysterious Island -so they'll probably throw one oldie in at a Surprise slot.
I would point out that luckily they are not showing Monster University, but the actually very creative Monsters, Inc. University is a poor rehash.

IP Logged

Reply #55 - Nov 5th, 2013 at 1:01pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Tony,
If you disliked Monsters Inc. -University would have constituted waterboarding level torture.

Two of the three additional movies do seem to add significantly to the heat death of the universe.

Nice thing about the Cleveland Thon. With three SURPRISES (I know they only list two - but I betcha they'll slip another in) you can always hope (usually in vain) for significant upgrades to the program.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2013 at 5:40pm by pogo »  

IP Logged

Reply #56 - Nov 5th, 2013 at 8:30pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Yeah, that 11:15AM to 6:30PM is a tough stretch.
Going from Killer Klowns to Primer is like coming out of hyperdrive by hitting a brick wall (that a geek enough phrase for ya?)
And then Children of Men and Dune?
That better be one heck of a surprise at 6:30PM.

Wait a sec, Killer Klowns From Outer Space is showing in a late breakfast slot?

Posts like this is why we usually get our marathon schedules as we arrive at the Somerville.  Cool

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #57 - Dec 18th, 2013 at 3:49pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Columbus has just announced the date for their Marathon.
In a message, Bruce Bartoo said, "It just became official - Sci-Fi will be March 15-16."

IP Logged

Reply #58 - Dec 18th, 2013 at 3:56pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

pogo wrote on Dec 18th, 2013 at 3:49pm:
Columbus has just announced the date for their Marathon.
In a message, Bruce Bartoo said, "It just became official - Sci-Fi will be March 15-16."

Too soon! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'll never make it to Ohio. Just 3 weeks or so after Boston.......... Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

Reply #59 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 7:40am

Rich Bartlett   Offline

M.I.T. announced the line-up for their annual Science Fiction Movie Marathon :

http://lsc.mit.edu/schedule/2014.1q/desc-marathon.shtml

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7