WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
other MARATHONS & FESTIVALS (Read 88841 times)
Reply #90 - Feb 1st, 2015 at 3:46pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Joe Neff wrote on Jan 31st, 2015 at 2:23am:
One of the tougher parts about being part of the Marathon scene for so long?  Realizing that the crowds do, indeed, get younger.  And that for a good chunk of that younger crowd, the '80s is the new '50s.  It's something that we've striven to address in crafting the lineups for both Horror and Sci-Fi the last few years...Bottom line?  Boston probably has the most long term, hardcore loyal audience of the three major 24-Hour Marathons.  But Columbus has far more of a mix of older and younger attendees.  And if we focus too much on the distant past (at least in the minds of many of the younger fans) we die.

Like a broken clock, Jeff Neff is correct in established intervals.

Exclaim Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #91 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 12:32pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

In a promo gimmick Marvel will be holding a 29 hour marathon leading up to the release of AVENGERS PART DEUX.

Personally, they'd have to pay ME to sit through much of that loud clanking claptrap, but, to each his own. Will there be a champagne toast at the end?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/09/29-hour-marvel-movie-marathon_n_6829090...

6 p.m. IRON MAN

8:25 p.m. THE INCREDIBLE HULK

10:35 p.m. IRON MAN 2

1 a.m. THOR

3:10 a.m. CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER

5:30 a.m. THE AVENGERS

8:48 a.m. IRON MAN 3

11:15 a.m. THOR: THE DARK WORLD

1:45 p.m. CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

4:20 p.m. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

7 p.m. AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

IP Logged

Reply #92 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 8:06pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 9th, 2015 at 12:32pm:
In a promo gimmick Marvel will be holding a 29 hour marathon leading up to the release of AVENGERS PART DEUX.

Personally, they'd have to pay ME to sit through much of that loud clanking claptrap, but, to each his own. Will there be a champagne toast at the end?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/09/29-hour-marvel-movie-marathon_n_6829090...

6 p.m. IRON MAN

8:25 p.m. THE INCREDIBLE HULK

10:35 p.m. IRON MAN 2

1 a.m. THOR

3:10 a.m. CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER

5:30 a.m. THE AVENGERS

8:48 a.m. IRON MAN 3

11:15 a.m. THOR: THE DARK WORLD

1:45 p.m. CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

4:20 p.m. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

7 p.m. AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

Yeah that is a lot to sit through especially considering how many of the films have the same plot. (Someone claimed even the timing of things happening in the films are the same.)

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #93 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 1:19pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Cleveland/CWRU made their first announcement of films for their 41st, Jan 15-16 Marathon.
8:00 pm - Terminator Genisys (2015, PG-13, 35 mm)
11:00 pm - Surprise I (UR, 35 mm)
12:30 am - Mighty Joe Young (1949, UR)
2:00 am - Re-Animator (1985, R, 35 mm)
3:45 am - TBD
5:45 am - Starship Troopers (1997, R, 35 mm)
8:15 am - Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001, PG, 35 mm)
10:00 am - Time After Time (1979, PG)
12:00 pm - Surprise II (PG, 35 mm)
2:15 pm - The Whisperer in Darkness (2011, UR)
4:15 pm - Surprise III (UR, 35 mm)
6:00 pm - [Will be announced January 1]
8:45 pm - Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984, PG-13, 35 mm)
10:45 pm - Mad Max: Fury Road (2015, R, 35 mm)

Plus (it says on their Facebook announcement) "Some terrific, vintage cartoons!"
$30, or $4/film

Cleveland is increasingly mainstream. I used to look forward to their "Surprise!" films, however the last couple of years they have been even less creative than the regular lineup.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #94 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 12:04am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Columbus has announced their festival dates as
NOON MARCH 5th UNTIL NOON MARCH 6th.

So now Cleveland will be Jan. 15-16
Boston February 14-15 and
Columbus March 5 & 6.
What will I do the rest of the year?

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #95 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 4:08am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

There's a marathon in Melbourne, Australia in mid December.

IP Logged

Reply #96 - Jan 2nd, 2016 at 11:19am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Lile wrote on Dec 28th, 2015 at 4:08am:
There's a marathon in Melbourne, Australia in mid December.

GREAT!
Now what about March - November?

The announced addition to Cleveland is THE MARTIAN.
The atmosphere at CWRU is great. But it's not as if you want to travel cross country to see unique offerings.

IP Logged

Reply #97 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 4:18am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Ended at 3:00 AM Sunday.
Which was annoying because the lateness seemed to be for no good reason. CWRU/Cleveland is always of indeterminate duration, but more than an hour was added by what seemed totally unnecessary problems with the last film. While they worked on it, a Star Trek animation was played which would not have been so bad, in theory, if the exact same episode had not been shown last year.
The three Surprises were Rocket Ship!, a movie version of the first Flash Gordon serial (1936).
The Blob! (1958). Sort of fun. I didn't remember from the last time I saw it, about 50 years ago, how bad an actor Steve McQueen was when he started out, and Back To The Future III(1990), always a joy.
Won't do the films in detail, unless others get into it, but actually had a better time that expected. The three heavy recent films, Terminator Gen., The Martian & Mad Max were balanced by Whisperer In The Darkness, an excellent Indie tribute to Lovecraft, The Atlantis cartoon, and the preponderance of light stuff from the 40s through the 80s.
Personally not a fan of Starship Troopers, Max or the latest Terminator, but certainly cannot complain that there was not a mix of types.
Nothing non-mainstream, except for Whisperer, but if you want a mix with a more creative lineup, go to Columbus or Boston (as you should.)

edit: I sort of blew off The Martian, above, due to its familiarity. In all aspects, including humor, acting, respect for science & all the cinematog. stuff that you would expect from a big budget film, the best SF of the last release year. And deservedly on the very short best list of all films last year. Yeah, Star Wars was great, but for different reasons.

And so to bed.

IP Logged

Reply #98 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 6:08pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

The list for the March 5-6 Columbus 24 hour Marathon (taken from the Columbus website, http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1939) IS!!!:

-The MIDWEST PREMIERE of Ben Wheatley's gonzo adaptation of cult author J.G. Ballard's HIGH-RISE! With Tom Hiddleston, Jeremy Irons, Sienna Miller, and Elisabeth Moss!

-A NEW DCP screening of George Miller's classic symphony of car crash chaos MAD MAX!

-And Miller's critically acclaimed follow-up, the hyper-kinetic MAD MAD: FURY ROAD! With Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron, and more practical automotive insanity than you shake a rusty carburetor at!

-A tribute to the late David Bowie with a NEW DCP RESTORATION of Nicolas Roeg's cult classic THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH!

-A NEW DCP of Sean Connery in John Boorman's existentially lunatic utopian takedown, the truly singular ZARDOZ!

-A RARE 35MM SCREENING of John Carpenter's STARMAN! With Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen!

-The NEW 4K RESTORATION of Richard Fleischer's FANTASTIC VOYAGE! With Donald Pleasance and Raquel Welch at the height of her va-va-voom '60s glory!

-A RARE 35MM SCREENING of the 1968 ultimate kaiju smackdown epic DESTROY ALL MONSTERS!

-In what should be an ideal Marathon crowd experience, a screening of the Turkish film industry's definitive Lucas-ian rip-off TURKISH STAR WARS!

-A late night screening of the much-requested (at least in certain circles) FRIDAY THE 13th in space romp JASON X!

We're also pursuing one more premiere to round out the lineup, so keep your eyes peeled here and on our various web outlets for the latest!

PLUS!
-Mike Olenick's sci-fi tinged Wet Darlings music video "Beautiful Things"!
-The 33rd Annual Costume Contest, with $100 FIRST PRIZE (and the coveted BIG CHECK!)
-Galaxies of 35mm Trailers and Shorts!
-And much, much more!

IP Logged

Reply #99 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 7:16pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

35MM? Are they showing half of our 70MM print of Starman?

But DAMn, I'd love to see Destroy All Monsters added to SF41.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #100 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 8:23pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

pogo wrote on Jan 24th, 2016 at 6:08pm:
-A NEW DCP screening of George Miller's classic symphony of car crash chaos MAD MAX!

-A tribute to the late David Bowie with a NEW DCP RESTORATION of Nicolas Roeg's cult classic THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH!

-A NEW DCP of Sean Connery in John Boorman's existentially lunatic utopian takedown, the truly singular ZARDOZ!

-The NEW 4K RESTORATION of Richard Fleischer's FANTASTIC VOYAGE! With Donald Pleasance and Raquel Welch at the height of her va-va-voom '60s glory!

I would be extremely leery of these, Gary.  In the first place, Ive run a ton of "new" "restored" DCPs, & they all look like doggy doo, & bare no relationship to their original photochemical counterparts.  In the second place, the distributors will slap the word "restoration" on ANYTHING theyve transferred, even if all they did was repair a torn frame, so dont be fooled by that claptrap.
     And in many cases, the studios just port a DCP from their DVD or BluRay master, so all youre getting is the low-rez file from a disc.  Yes, they do that.  They like ripping people off.
     I still have no idea what format we're running the Roeg movie in, but you all better pray it's a print (and I know theres an available print).  If it's a DCP, & it looks anything like the DCP transfers we've run in the last few marathons, you may as well go out for food or take a nap, because it's going to look like dim, off-colour pig vomit.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #101 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 11:34pm

Joe Neff   Offline

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 25th, 2016 at 8:23pm:
     I would be extremely leery of these, Gary.  In the first place, Ive run a ton of "new" "restored" DCPs, & they all look like doggy doo, & bare no relationship to their original photochemical counterparts.  In the second place, the distributors will slap the word "restoration" on ANYTHING theyve transferred, even if all they did was repair a torn frame, so dont be fooled by that claptrap.
     And in many cases, the studios just port a DCP from their DVD or BluRay master, so all youre getting is the low-rez file from a disc.  Yes, they do that.  They like ripping people off.
     I still have no idea what format we're running the Roeg movie in, but you all better pray it's a print (and I know theres an available print).  If it's a DCP, & it looks anything like the DCP transfers we've run in the last few marathons, you may as well go out for food or take a nap, because it's going to look like dim, off-colour pig vomit.

Ah, my old pal David! You know that we tend to see eye to eye when it comes to the superiority of film. But having seen the FANTASTIC VOYAGE DCP, I can vouch that it looks pretty damn good. Not as good as a nice print, but hey.

And more importantly, while we would LOVE to have the Somerville's booth and your more than able hands running this show....we don't. Different venue, different capabilities, different restrictions. While we have access to 35mm, it's on a MUCH more limited basis than you do.

So when it comes to assembling the lineup, we can't just pick films that we can screen in 35mm. We'd be left with a whole buncha' obscurities and collector prints. Fact of the matter is that for a lot of classic titles, we can only book DCPs. And while I would LOVE to have an entire slate of great looking prints, the reality of the matter dictates otherwise. It's between taking what we can get and not doing the event.

And ultimately, these events are about a gathering of film fans enjoying a shared experience that is something special. Sometimes that can still be achieved even with less than perfect results. And hey, I wrote that damn copy! So watch yer p's and q's mister!  Wink   

IP Logged

Reply #102 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 3:42pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Joe Neff wrote on Jan 25th, 2016 at 11:34pm:
Ah, my old pal David!

Aw, youre making me blush!

Quote:
But having seen the FANTASTIC VOYAGE DCP, I can vouch that it looks pretty damn good.

I'll maintain a healthy skepticism!

Quote:
So when it comes to assembling the lineup, we can't just pick films that we can screen in 35mm.

Well, I wasnt commenting on that.  I was just saying that I take exception to "new" & "restored" DCPs, because no matter what the studios say about them, they always look hideous.
     And, of course, this latest Thon is hardly running everything in 35.  We're running one in 70!  Ha!   Grin
     All kidding aside, I still have no idea in which format I'll be receiving a majority of the titles, so I'm not one to complain.

Quote:
And hey, I wrote that damn copy! So watch yer p's and q's mister!  Wink

If youd prefer me to watch some letters instead of the screen, so be it!

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7