WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
other MARATHONS & FESTIVALS (Read 88850 times)
Reply #30 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 9:21pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Richard Carlson night on TMC. It Came From Outer Space, The Magnetic Monster, Riders to the Stars, Creature From the Black Lagoon, Tormented and The Power. A good mini-marathon tonight.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #31 - May 2nd, 2013 at 6:48pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Okay this is probably too far to travel for most of us (except L.A. Connection) but The Egyptian Theater in Los Angeles is presenting a festival of rare 3D films.
http://3-dfilmexpo.com/
Unfortunately the few 35mm prints they'll be showing that might interest us are original dual-interlocked projector format needing a silver screen and polarized glasses and I think that's a format the Somerville is not equipped to show.
Still an interesting fest for film fans and there is a nice link to a large group of 3D trailers too. http://3-dfilmexpo.com/filmguide/trailers

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 1:39pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Missed Comic-Con? Me too. Here are 850 pictures of what we missed:

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/456834-comic-con-2013-cosplay-gallery-850-photo...

I'm among those who wish the Sci-fi costume contest could be resurrected in a big way. The ranks of costumed contestants have dwindled over time. People are rightly resistant to putting on a costume and sitting through the 24-hour marathon.

What if the contest were held on the last night of the festival? If the Saturday night double feature included the costume contest, plus prizes and even free admission to contestants, participation would be easier and the numbers would increase. Plus pictures of the contestants could be posted in the lobby at the 'thon, on "Feckbook", and in other promotions.

Plus, as the above link demonstrates, costumes are a great promotional tool for creating the festival feel. If there were no costumes at Comic-Con would it still be a low-keyed event known only to the dedicated few? Cheesy

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 3:03pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Some good ideas there!

If we aren't going to give away any kind of big prizes, we ain't gonna attract any serious entries.
R_F_Fineman wrote on Jul 23rd, 2013 at 1:39pm:
Missed Comic-Con? Me too. Here are 850 pictures of what we missed:

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/456834-comic-con-2013-cosplay-gallery-850-photo...

I'm among those who wish the Sci-fi costume contest could be resurrected in a big way. The ranks of costumed contestants have dwindled over time. People are rightly resistant to putting on a costume and sitting through the 24-hour marathon.

What if the contest were held on the last night of the festival? If the Saturday night double feature included the costume contest, plus prizes and even free admission to contestants, participation would be easier and the numbers would increase. Plus pictures of the contestants could be posted in the lobby at the 'thon, on "Feckbook", and in other promotions.

Plus, as the above link demonstrates, costumes are a great promotional tool for creating the festival feel. If there were no costumes at Comic-Con would it still be a low-keyed event known only to the dedicated few? Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 3:15pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I'm a big fan of costuming.
When I was going to Comic Con there was nothing better than just taking a short break, finding a seat and just do some people (or whatever, depending on the costume) watching.
It's always been tough at the marathon because of no real place to change and being in costume for 24 hours has got to be kinda uncomfortable. Maybe that's why they added the tinfoil hat contest. They're easy to make and wear, plus keep the fungus men from the planet mothball from reading your thoughts.

Having it the last night of the festival might work better (weather permitting.)
A reduced rate admission, some prizes, display pictures of the winners, yep sounds like an idea. Maybe even feature a couple of films that lend themselves especially to costuming.
Or even some documentaries on fandom like that Comic Con movie from a few years back.

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 10:48pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Please don't freak out, but...

The Somerville Theatre's October Sci-Fi marathon

All 35mm, some good stuff and some bad (and I don't want to hear it, L.A. Connection), running chronologically, which will be neat.  It hasn't shown up on the official FEI website yet, but I figure it will pretty soon.

Also, Ian & company must be expecting that to be a pretty slow weekend, as I just got an email about another event at the theater that weekend, although FilmShift will likely be in the screening room.

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 11:46pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Sep 9th, 2013 at 10:48pm:

All 35mm, some good stuff and some bad (and I don't want to hear it, L.A. Connection).

???????????????????

wtf

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 12:26am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I'm pretty sure you're the one who posts anonymous comments on my blog whenever I mention that I don't particularly care for a so-called classic that's in this marathon's line-up - aren't you?  At any rate, whoever it is - continuing that argument will do nobody any good.

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 11:25am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Jay:
Are you confusing "Terrorthon" in October with a sci-fi Marathon?

From the Somerville FB:
Quote:
Somerville Theatre
August 8.

We've got a GREAT line-up kicking off our Terrorthon week in October; on Oct. 12, we're presenting a Noon-to-Midnite marathon featuring the following features - all on 35mm: THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI, THE INVISIBLE MAN, DR. CYCLOPS, FORBIDDEN PLANET, PLANET OF THE APES, WEST WORLD, BUCKAROO BANZAI, TREMORS and maybe a few other treats up our sleeves.... tickets and final lineup will be announced after Labor Day...

Quote:
Jay Sever:
The Somerville Theatre's October Sci-Fi marathon...

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 7:37pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

R_F_Fineman wrote on Sep 10th, 2013 at 11:25am:
Jay:

From the Somerville FB:
Quote:
Somerville Theatre
August 8.

We've got a GREAT line-up kicking off our Terrorthon week in October; on Oct. 12, we're presenting a Noon-to-Midnite marathon featuring the following features - all on 35mm: THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI, THE INVISIBLE MAN, DR. CYCLOPS, FORBIDDEN PLANET, PLANET OF THE APES, WEST WORLD, BUCKAROO BANZAI, TREMORS and maybe a few other treats up our sleeves.... tickets and final lineup will be announced after Labor Day...

Quote:
Jay Sever:
The Somerville Theatre's October Sci-Fi marathon...

WestWorld!!!
Tremors
Buckaroo Banzai!!
Dr Cyclops
The Invisible Man
Forbidden Planet!!
Planet of the Apes
Cabinet of Dr Caligari

That's TERRORthon??

We have been betrayed gentlemen.

(Okay, maybe I'm over-reacting)

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 9:20pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Sep 10th, 2013 at 12:26am:
I'm pretty sure you're the one who posts anonymous comments on my blog ...

I do post there that way because I'm not signed into any of the ID formats your blog uses.

I'm not really involved with the October event, nor have had any real input in the films selected.

And, I wouldn't go out of my way to mention that Jay Seaver thinks that James Whale's masterful classic THE INVISIBLE MAN is a worse film than such recent SF Marathon entries like MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH, GHASTLY LOVE OF JOHNNY X, ZONAD and, yes, even the awesomely received FOLKLORE. Never would have brought it up.........

Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 9:56pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Jay:

In my defense, it was labeled "science fiction marathon" until today. 

L.A. Connection wrote on Sep 10th, 2013 at 9:20pm:
I do post there that way because I'm not signed into any of the ID formats your blog uses.

And, I wouldn't go out of my way to mention that Jay Seaver thinks that James Whale's masterful classic THE INVISIBLE MAN is a worse film than such recent SF Marathon entries like MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH, GHASTLY LOVE OF JOHNNY X, ZONAD and, yes, even the awesomely received FOLKLORE. Never would have brought it up.........

Lips Sealed

(A) You can enter a name and optional URL.  Positing anonymously isn't cool, and I'd disable it if I could.

(B) I can't help but notice you never actually say what The Invisible Man does well, instead just berating me for not liking a movie that was an all-effects-no-script special in its day.

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 10:00pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Jay Seaver wrote on Sep 10th, 2013 at 9:56pm:
Jay:

In my defense, it was labeled "science fiction marathon" until today. 

With the exception of Caligari there is not a film that would not be considered sci-fi.
Heck we've been trying to get Westworld for decades.

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 10:33pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

What's an "optional url"?

James Whale's incredibly awesome classic THE INVISIBLE MAN is brilliantly witty, sardonic and features one of the great early vocal performances of cinema. The effects are great for the period, but Whale was never about special effects over story and performance - unlike that pinacle of current cinema, MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH............

Never would have brought it up if not provoked. Don't wake:

EVIL L.A.

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 2:28pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Sci-fi London has a great historic venue in Stratford where Shakespeare plays had first runs. Now they're planning a  Mystery Science Theater 3000 all-nighter this October 12th. featuring:

WEREWOLF
MONSTER A-GO-GO
BRIDE OF THE MONSTER
ROBOT MONSTER
BLOOD WATERS OF DR Z

The show never aired in the UK so this will be an introduction of sorts to Ed Wood, Ro-man and other US independent er, uh, "films".

I can certainly see why they didn't opt for this in the Bard's back yard:

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7