WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Twilight (for 35mm film) (Read 112995 times)
Reply #60 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 2:57pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

BETTER DEAD THAN RED

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #61 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 3:49pm

Metaluna   Offline

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #62 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 4:21pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

No way Duckie, no way

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #63 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 4:54pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Remember last year's
RED MENACE
Roger Corman's "Last Woman on Earth?

Here's the original Trailer as it was meant to be seeen in the full beauty of
CORM
ANCO
LOR

Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #64 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 5:12pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Not to be confused with Angry Red Planet where the red sequences were intentional

IP Logged

Reply #65 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 7:34pm

Metaluna   Offline

Frank wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 5:12pm:
Not to be confused with Angry Red Planet where the red sequences were intentional.

Not to be confused with The Rocky Horror Picture Show where the Magenta sequences were intentional.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #66 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 11:47am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 2:57pm:

Youll notice that theres just a touch of blue still left!

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #67 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 12:46pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

here's a cartograph of the by county results of the 2000 presidential election. red indicates the counties that went for bush. blue indicates the counties that went to gore. it looks like tulsa oklahoma is 1000 miles from any democratic county.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #68 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 4:46pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

kirok wrote on Jan 20th, 2012 at 12:46pm:
here's a cartograph of the by county results of the 2000 presidential election. red indicates the counties that went for bush. blue indicates the counties that went to gore.

What that cartograph actually shows is how many idiots we have in this country, which is why we're currently in a state of collapse.
     And Gore won the popular vote.  Thats no longer in even the slightest doubt.

IP Logged

Reply #69 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 4:49pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Getting back now to the topic that this thread actually exists to discuss, heres the latest, from Variety:

I'm going to live to see the day when these video-boosters wake up & discover that their work is irretrievably lost.  How I will laugh then.  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #70 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 11:12am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

For those of you who cant access the Variety article I linked to above, here it is:

Posted: Wed., Jan. 18, 2012, 10:30pm PT
Acad sounds alarm about fragility of digital prod'n
Sci-Tech report spotlights short lifespan of non-film formats
By David S. Cohen
Milt Shefter

'The Digital Dilemma 2'
On the day that Sundance kicked off and Eastman Kodak filed for bankruptcy, the Motion Picture Academy threw a bucket of ice water on the digital filmmaking revolution.

Preserving movies is an ongoing issue for the entire industry, but a new report from the Acad warns that movies shot or finished digitally face a lifespan so short they can be lost even before they get distribution. Worse, indie and docu filmmakers, whose work is most vulnerable to this risk, seem oblivious to the danger.Those grim conclusions, found in the long-awaited Part Two of the Acad's Science & Technology Council "Digital Dilemma" report on the problems of digital preservation, will likely make for some somber chatter in Park City.

Where part one (released in 2007) focused on the studios, the second installment looks at indies and docs and finds "the technology that makes it easy to make the picture also underlies the lack of guaranteed long-term access to it." And while the Acad found those communities still ignorant of the fragility of digital files, it may not matter -- those sectors lack the resources to attack the problem anyway.

"The bottom line is we're running out of time," Sci-Tech Council member Milt Shefter, co-author of the report, told Variety. "The time for studies is past. We have to find some solutions or we're going to lose a lot of material."

In short, digital storage, be it on hard drives, DVDs or solid-state memory, simply isn't on a par for anything close to the 100-plus-year lifespan of film. The life of digital media is measured in years, not decades, and file formats can go obsolete in months, not years. As the report explains, that affects movies still looking for distribution, not merely library titles. "In general," the report says, "independent films that beat the odds and secure some form of distribution do so after a much longer time period than movies produced by the major studios. This time period quite likely exceeds the 'shelf life' of any digital work; that is, by the time distribution is secured, the digital data may become inaccessible.

"Most of the filmmakers surveyed and interviewed for this report were not aware of the perishable nature of digital content or how short its unmanaged lifespan is compared to the 95-plus years that U.S. copyright laws allow filmmakers to benefit from their work."

Much indie content, the report says, is in danger of being lost before it can receive the full benefits of those 95 years of protection.

Shefter called filmmakers' ignorance of the issue "probably our biggest surprise."

"They were concentrating on the benefits of digital workflow," he said, "but weren't thinking about what happens to their (digital) masters. They're structured to make their movie, get it in front of an audience, and then move onto the next one."

Also a surprise to the Acad's researchers: Documentarians also were unaware of the vulnerability of digital files. On the contrary, documakers were generally excited about the easy access to footage in the digital age. When Acad interviewers raised the idea that there might be "a black hole for the last 25-30 years" because digital files aren't being preserved, said Shefter, "they really didn't get that."

"The main difference between analog and digital is, analog was store-and-ignore," said Shefter. "Digital has to be actively managed."

Such active management is expensive, however, vastly more expensive than putting film in a vault. Even when they take such steps, however, filmmakers and producers are up against an insurmountable problem: The only reliable method for archiving digital images is to go analog. The best archiving solution today is to print out to film, ideally with a three-color separation printed onto black-and-white archival film. That's a very expensive solution.

The Academy is doing what it can to help address the problem, said Andy Maltz, director of the Sci-Tech Council. "One of the keys to preservation is to have file-format standards, so if you can recover the zeros and ones, you'll know what they mean and know what they're supposed to look like on the screen." The Acad's Image Interchange Framework project is helping create such standards. SMPTE will be publishing the first of them later this year.

The Acad is coordinating Hollywood's efforts to work with the Library of Congress and with other industries to find a method for archiving digital data. But, said Maltz, "It's up to the manufacturers to incorporate archival lifetimes into their products." Fortunately for the entertainment industry, it's not alone in facing this issue. Banking, medicine, energy and other fields all need to preserve digital data for more than a few years, and they're all looking for the same elusive breakthrough.

The report says that unless preservation becomes a requirement for planning, budgeting and marketing strategies, it will remain a problem for indie filmmakers, documentarians and archives alike. "These communities, and the nation's artistic and cultural heritage, would greatly benefit from a comprehensive, coordinated digital preservation plan for the future."

The report includes proposals for more education, sharing of information and collaboration among archives and other orgs.

Shefter was careful to say that the Council and the report are not attacking digital, which offers "tremendous benefits" in some areas. Said Shefter, "The broader issue is (that) as we embrace the benefits of the newer technology, one thing is missing: long-term guaranteed access. That's what the analog world had and we think any replacement should have at least as much."

IP Logged

Reply #71 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 11:17am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 11:22am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

And theres a petition to keep film alive.  You can sign it here (and please do):

IP Logged

Reply #73 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 1:02pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I read this about our local drive-in:
http://mendondrivein.com/

And I thought of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIvH2dPolsM

IP Logged

Reply #74 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 5:49pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Egads! Even the vaunted NYC institution, Film Forum has apparently given up on film. This article practically seems to take glee on stomping on good ole 35mm:

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/culture/2012/03/5405944/clutch-screenings-...

I guess my first question on this is: Was this a 'Fair Fight'?? I've seen 4k digital and it can look quite good. But, were the 35mm prints top notch as well? Was the Projector burning the bulbs at full light levels? The fact that the article mentions a blue-ish tint to the Black and White movie tends to indicate this was a newish modern print done on COLOR Film stock.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2012 at 7:29pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9