WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Twilight (for 35mm film) (Read 112361 times)
Reply #120 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 10:05pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Other than the crap about Tarantino, I'd say he hits the nail on the head.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #121 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 2:05pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

And then theres this.
     Talk about a squeaker.
     Very depressing.

IP Logged

Reply #122 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 7:46pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jul 30th, 2014 at 2:05pm:
     And then theres this.
     Talk about a squeaker.
     Very depressing.

I don't have much use for QT and Apatow, but, these are some pretty big names lining up behind film. And, what happened to Mr. Film Lover Scorsese? I guess he's drinking the digital cool-aid now. Might be senility.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2014 at 12:06am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #123 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 4:06pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Made a tiny indie flick that was shot, edited and released only on Digital? GOOD LUCK PRESERVING IT, BRO:

http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/people/unhappy-medium-the-challenges-with-...

"digital formats are much more expensive to preserve. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences estimates the annual cost of maintaining a digital master at $12,500, 11 times that of film."

"Digital Cinema Packages (DCPs), which studios send to most movie theaters instead of film reels. Encrypted to prevent piracy, each DCP can be played in one theater’s projector, at certain times, for a certain period. “
It’s as good as a doorstop for us
,” Lukow says."
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2014 at 5:45pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #124 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 10:27am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Sep 21st, 2014 at 4:06pm:
"digital formats are much more expensive to preserve. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences estimates the annual cost of maintaining a digital master at $12,500, 11 times that of film."

"Digital Cinema Packages (DCPs), which studios send to most movie theaters instead of film reels. Encrypted to prevent piracy, each DCP can be played in one theater’s projector, at certain times, for a certain period. “
It’s as good as a doorstop for us
,” Lukow says."

The really revealing quote is this one:

Quote:
"With brighter projector lamps and modern screens," he points out, "a film will never look to us the way it did to its first audiences."

Screens havent changed all that much, & brighter than carbon arcs?  Really?
     What a maroon.  Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #125 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 9:18pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The brightness issue is one of the oft-mentioned things by supporters of digital. They will go on and on about some two-bit theater who never changed their bulbs unless they completely burnt out in the days of 35mm film projection. It's also one of the reasons I always support film by adding "when properly projected" - like that theater I've heard about in Somerville.

Of course, what the digital nitwits don't seem to get is:

1. That digital projectors have bulbs, too. Eventually, they won't be all shiny and new, either. What makes the digital dorks think that those same theater owners will change these bulbs any more diligently than they did with film projectors??

2. Also, if these lame theater owners didn't keep up their film projectors, what makes folks think that DCP's will always be the newest and greatest AND keep up with all the software and hardware upgrades?

IP Logged

Reply #126 - Oct 3rd, 2014 at 9:10pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Today's big laugh is brought to you by moronic theatre owners who let themselves get railroaded into installing DPs while scrapping their film projectors.  Get a load of this.

Just try to imagine how sorry I feel for these bozos.  Why "step back in time?"  I dunno....    'cause it's BETTER?   Grin Grin Grin Grin

TerrorThon prints are showing up.  I'll post a report, if anyone's interested in attending.

IP Logged

Reply #127 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 1:53pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I've been telling everyone who will listen that Film projection is still superior to Digital projection for years (oh, and that  Somerville projectionist as well)! And, now Imax is rolling out new Laser projection and, buried in their promo speak - they admit the truth!
Yup, Imax admits that DCP's have inferior black level! And, though they are pumping up their new 'frickin' lasers', they say that it closely matches film. (meaning, by default, that they admit that DCPs were inferior all along!).

http://deadline.com/2015/04/imax-with-laser-projectors-chinese-theater-richard-g...

IP Logged

Reply #128 - May 21st, 2015 at 11:28am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Our local film society is showing a documentary that , I am sure, many of you have seen.
Out Of Print, according to the blurb, focuses on the New Bounty Cinema, an aggressively 35mm house in LA. which Tarentino (who by the way bites the big one) subsidized and then bought. Taking off from the theater, the film describes "The digital-age realities that threaten the existence of all 35mm repertory cinemas."
Ya think? Sounds interesting.
Google for lots of descriptions. Here's one.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2393917/

Two notes. I am aware that Tarentino's treatment of the  theater & its staff has caused, to put it mildly "Controversy."

& - The Cleveland Cinematheque has been showing 35 mm for 30 years. They still are aggressive in finding 35mm cinema & providing a venue for world and classic films, showing around 28 unique films a month. They first were forced to show works available in digital only  at a commercial theater and then to install digital projection at their main venue. They still show the large bulk of their film in 35. You can look them up. They are fantastic.
Available at their ticket sales counter,  a bumper sticker,
"35MM. The Farewell Tour"

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #129 - May 21st, 2015 at 1:06pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

As you might gather, this is a very personal story to me. I have seen more movies at the New Beverly than probably any theater over my lifetime.

WAY too much to write. But, the saddest irony is that once QT was successful with his coup attempt, he antagonized many in the community. The filmmaker of the Doc in question, Julia Marchese, was forced out of the theater shortly thereafter. Yes, she made a movie about the place and then was booted (or forced out depending on your POV). So, a movie ABOUT the New Beverly has never played the New Beverly - and, likely never will.

I have also never been to the place since the coup. The longest I have ever gone without going since 1985.

pogo wrote on May 21st, 2015 at 11:28am:
Our local film society is showing a documentary that , I am sure, many of you have seen.
Out Of Print, according to the blurb, focuses on the New Bounty Cinema, an aggressively 35mm house in LA. which Tarentino (who by the way bites the big one) subsidized and then bought. Taking off from the theater, the film describes "The digital-age realities that threaten the existence of all 35mm repertory cinemas."
Ya think? Sounds interesting.
Google for lots of descriptions. Here's one.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2393917/

Two notes. I am aware that Tarentino's treatment of the  theater & its staff has caused, to put it mildly "Controversy."

& - The Cleveland Cinematheque has been showing 35 mm for 30 years. They still are aggressive in finding 35mm cinema & providing a venue for world and classic films, showing around 28 unique films a month. They first were forced to show works available in digital only  at a commercial theater and then to install digital projection at their main venue. They still show the large bulk of their film in 35. You can look them up. They are fantastic.
Available at their ticket sales counter,  a bumper sticker,
"35MM. The Farewell Tour"

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2015 at 2:08pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9